newswire article coverage united states

arts and culture | corporate dominance | media criticism

holy crap paul mccartny just played the superbowl halftime show wearing an anarchist shirt

paul mccartny came out to play various songs durring the superbowl half time show wearing a brillant red shirt with the anarchist black star. its hillarious because he was playing infront of billions of drunk americans that probably didnt have any idea what the iconography ment. you cant tell but behind his guitar here hes wearing a red and black shirt. later in his preformance he takes off his jacket showing the anarchist brillance to the world. I dont know if paul is an anarchist but still It was pretty rad.

add a comment on this article

Kind of a coincidence 06.Feb.2005 18:40

Ben

Kind of a coincidence, isn't it? Largest corporate event of the year.

I saw it too 06.Feb.2005 18:40

felix el gato

its intiresting that the photo associated press chose was one where his guitar coveres up the star anyone have a different photo?

Yes, but did he bare his nipple? 06.Feb.2005 18:41

orthosnot

anarchist? 06.Feb.2005 18:50

krak

when was the last time Paul M. donated some of his billions to an anarchist group???

STILL WATCHING TV? 06.Feb.2005 19:07

oh, dear

Please, back away from the TV. You are being lied to, and you don't even know it.

you saw it too! 06.Feb.2005 19:42

yanqui latina

Crazy, i thought i was the only one who noticed that. Maybe anarchy is going to be trendy again, yea <sarcasm>.
And i wasn't watching it, it was on in my house, against my will!

Oh my GOD! 06.Feb.2005 19:48

Blah

The trailblazers colors are Red and Black too! There are anarchists EVERYWHERE!!!!

he is an anarchist silly 06.Feb.2005 19:48

Dingo dawgsnax@fastmail.fm

"Od Me Evol Evol" is an early viking term for Anarchy. I's also a well known fact that Ringo Star is a card carrying, charter member of the british, white dude,branch of the Black Panther party.
Also Cher was raised as a boy until age 7.

I was just saying 06.Feb.2005 20:46

mark

I was just saying It was Ironic I was not saying paul must be an anarchist because he wore a red and black shirt any thing like that. also I dont watch tv either. however m housemate does and I just happened to notice it while I walked through the room on my way to make dinner. realy if you had seen it you would have stoped and scratched your head too. it was wierd.

Let Them Eat Polysorbate80 Cake 06.Feb.2005 20:50

yarrow

What became of the rush limpaugh reports that used to grace this venerable forum?

Instead we are treated to spasms of pop-cult hyperventilation (pant) (gasp) (wheeze). Will the academy awards be scruitinised for signs and wonders of hidden meaning as well?

bread and circuses = budweiser and sooperbowel.

says it for me! 06.Feb.2005 21:03

thanks

"Unknown to many, Paul has been an anarchist since he put on that shirt this evening."

lol

How much are they paying him for this anarchistTM entertainment event?

Jesus H Christ 06.Feb.2005 21:18

I swear to Amerikans posing and wearing the right clothing is the only thing that matters.

What makes an anarchist a real anarchist is the actions and core beliefs that than person expresses.

If the pope has a hockey stick in his hands does that make him a professional hockey player?

holy-smokes! 06.Feb.2005 21:35

fore!

Looks like a mini-pope holding a life-sized putter.

McCartney's shirt 06.Feb.2005 21:44

Messenger

Just take it as his way of encouraging you, and let it be. (unintended pun)
He can hate the Bush Admin. too, can't he?

Hmm this has happened before, odly enough at a football game 06.Feb.2005 21:56

Ben

The reason why I said it was a coincidence that it was a largest corporate event of the year is that I believe that celebrities are hipocrites. It may just be my strange habit to relate everything to politics, but does anyone remember the orange bowl. The one everyone was talking about because ashley simpson got booed off the stage. Being raised in a football fanatic house I watched the orange bowl. To my surprise, I saw Ashley simpson have a large Anarchy banner in the back. No not the one that we all mistake people for wearing the actual anarchy sign. The A with a circle around it. It may have just been for Ashley, but she looks as if she wants the reputation of a anarchist. Out of theory, Ashley simpson is a hypocrite. Why the hell would she be representing Anarchy in a large corporate event. That is going against everything anarchy stands for. I hope that the A was just for ashley, because anarchists are already looked down upon enough. Same goes for you Paul

P.S. John Lennon was the real talent of the Beatles

sir paul wants rebellion 06.Feb.2005 22:20

mr. self destruct

do yourselves a favor and pay attention. your idols, whether you love them or love to hate them, want you dead obediant fans. pink's wall is going to fall on your heads. 'rock stars' are very cocky about this. just read a few nin lyrics for staters, like the above mentioned.

hey! 06.Feb.2005 22:38

;O;

hey all the Beatles were talented and each gave something to music before and after the band disbanded.

I don't find it odd 06.Feb.2005 23:29

Groan

I don't find it at all odd for Macca to wear an anarchist t-shirt. He and the other Beatles have always supported a wide variety of causes with which they have felt broadly in sympathy, including a few that were completely nutty, without actually being card-carrying members. I don't claim to know exactly what Macca's politics are, but the whole counterculture generation (I'd include Pink Floyd in this category) remains pretty far left by today's standards.

clothing is an expression of inner thoughts (often inner struggles) 07.Feb.2005 00:23

-_o

Paul McCartny wearing an Anarchist shirt may reflect his deeper desire to undermine the "machine". I think the only way to truly know is to ask Mr McCartny. But my question about clothing and reflections of inner thoughts must go to Colin Powell during his "Village People" phase (which later merged with his DEVO phase). What the Hell was going on in his psyche?

Young man, there's no need to feel down.
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground.
I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town
There's no need to be unhappy.

Young man, there's a place you can go.
I said, young man, when you're short on your dough.
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.
It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.

They have everything for young men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys ...

It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.
It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.

You can get yourself clean, you can have a good meal,
You can do whatever you feel ...

Young man, are you listening to me?
I said, young man, what do you want to be?
I said, young man, you can make real your dreams.
But you've got to know this one thing!

No man does it all by himself.
I said, young man, put your pride on the shelf,
And just go there, to the y.m.c.a.
I'm sure they can help you today.

It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.
It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.

They have everything for you men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys ...

It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.
It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.

You can get yourself clean, you can have a good meal,
You can do whatever you feel ...

Young man, I was once in your shoes.
I said, I was down and out with the blues.
I felt no man cared if I were alive.
I felt the whole world was so jive ...

That's when someone came up to me,
And said, young man, take a walk up the street.
It's a place there called the y.m.c.a.
They can start you back on your way.

It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.
It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.

They have everything for young men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys ...

y-m-c-a
It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a
Young man, young man, there's no need to feel down
Young man, young man, pick yourself off the ground

y-m-c-a
It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a
Young man, young man, are you listening to me
Young man, young man, what do you wanna be

y-m-c-a
you'll find it at the y-m-c-a
no man, young man, does it all by himself
young man, young man, put your pride on the shelf

Y-m-c-a
then just go to the y-m-c-a
y-m-c-a
young man, young man, i was once in your shoes
y-m-c-a
young man, young man, I said, I was down and out with the blues.
y-m-c-a

Fooled all of Ya 07.Feb.2005 02:54

Bleenie

Paul is Dead.

pic of the star 07.Feb.2005 14:43

beattle

wow

Sting similarly, singing "sending out an S.O.S, sending out an S.O.S, ..." 07.Feb.2005 16:03

non TV watcher

I thought that Sting's choice of songs at a previous stuporbowl (I was with acquaintances who insisted on watching it...) was another thumbing the nose at U.S. warmongering. He sang the Police's "Message in a Bottle." It seemed to be a scream from the belly of the beast, wanting to be vomited back up into freedom instead of supposedly engineered by the powers that be to be symbolic of Anglo-American unity in global criminal behavior.

Remember that there has been lots of high level U.S. sponsorship of Brit pop stars since 9-11:

1. David Bowie singing it up, even as the dead WTC victims and powedred demolition wreckage from the hits were steaming in the background at the WTC site behind the stage in NYC.

2. Sting at a superbowl. Wha?

3. McCartney at a superbowl.

Take a lesson in mass psychosis sometime. Watch TV.

commentary on the McCartney superbowl 07.Feb.2005 16:20

grouper fish

The Walrus Was Right
author: Blackbird
The US is a myth, a legend in its television mind, ....

"...bought some California grass..." 07.Feb.2005 19:02

Anarchy-nonymous

I thought it was just fucking cool that he did "Get Back" and didn't change the verse about scoring weed. Plus he did Live And Let Die, from the Wings days. I don't think the wardrobe was a mistake either. He was making a statement, albeit very subtley.

Does anybody know if O'Reilly or Limbaugh have started attacking him yet? "Las year a boob, this year a reference to marijuana... Thank God, John Lennon isn't alive to play any Super Bowls, because sex and drugs are bad enough, but world peace is downright un-American!!!"

Hey, it could even be Right Wing Cock-Sucker Emeritus, Bob Novak's, "outrage of the week on Capital Gang."

Hmmn 07.Feb.2005 19:07

X-zorb it

Whatever the significance of the shirt with the star had to him, Paul has been a non-comformist in various times and aspects of his life. He went vegetarian while living in Scotland on little money in the early 70's. He was also arrested for growing cannibus on his farm there. He embraces social conciousness and funds good causes. The Beatles were basically a punk-blues group in their intial phases, dressed in black leather so it's possible underneath all the rock star exterior Paul might actually have some anti-athoritarian leanings.

Yeah Yeah Yeah! 07.Feb.2005 19:52

Dingo

The Beatles have always rocked and always will. Lennon of course was always the most outspoken concerning peace, human rights, and social awareness. But I would not put it past Paul to "in your face corporate america" who was so frickin paranoid after last year they thought it a safe bet to have him perform at halftime. Now, only to learn the day after, that he got the last laugh.

Koo-Kooka-Choo...