newswire article announcements portland metro

community building | corporate dominance | legacies | neighborhood news | no new sprawlmarts

Oppose East Burnside Home Depot/Target Tonight 12/13/2004

Wouldn't that be awful if there was a giant (ugly) Home Depot or Target right in the middle of Portland? Folks driving by on the freeway would see it and sigh the sort of sigh that monoculture produces all over the place.

Wouldn't that be awful if there was a giant Home Depot or Target right in the middle of Portland? Folks driving by on the freeway would see it and sigh the sort of sigh that monoculture produces all over the place.

Well if we don't speak up, this vision will become a reality. They want to build a Home Depot or a Target on the east end of the Burnside Bridge, just a few blocks from locally owned Hippo Hardware. With enough public support, however, we could influence the planning comission to instead build a complex of locally owned businesses. Come to this meeting:
MONDAY, DECEMBER 13, 2004, 5 PM
Discussion/workshop of the Burnside Bridgehead proposals
Public Workshop to gather input from presentations of Burnside
Bridgehead Developer Proposals
State of Oregon Bldg
800 NE Oregon, Rm 140
And voice your disapproval for the Home Depot and Target plans. Encourage the board to accept the local business plan instead.
OUR SILENCE=HOMOGENY
Don't be scared.
Robert

so you like Hippo Hardware eh? 13.Dec.2004 08:11

Kirk McCall

You can support Hippo Hardware if you want to chump! Absurdly high prices and contempt for the consumer is their shitck.

I look forward to having Home Depot nearby, rather than driving out to the airport or Clackamas for competitively priced building materials.

Kirk McCall

kirkbmccall@yahoo.com

Competitively priced = sweatshop labor in china 13.Dec.2004 09:39

Concerned

Do you know that Home depot has given an enormous amount of donations to the Bush campaign and Admin..
Do you care that the $10.00 you save might equal increased profit to these Bush supporting folks.
(who don't care that the water we need to survive on this planet is being polluted at dangerous levels by these unregulated sweatshops in china.)
The $10.00 you save costs all our children's children more in the long run.
I go to 'True Value' In Parkrose which is Cheaper and more helpful and although still a big company feels less of an attack to fair business than Home Depot.
I live closer to home depot, so am Polluting more by driving to the other store? I don't think so since I bought a vehicle based on its good gas mileage.
Balance I say it's all about balance and choices.
If I can't find what I need I'll go to Home Depot but believe me i know what I'm doing when I go there.
Be informed.
Hippo is better for our city than some huge conglomerate that cares nothing about fair trade labor practices but is concerned only in profit.
More volume they can charge less. Less volume they have to charge more. DUH
Support the little guy.

Support your local dumpster diver/housebuilder 13.Dec.2004 11:28

Kirk

I'm a housebuilder in Southeast Portland. I get most of my materials from dumpsters. Recently i built a house for $6000 in out of pocket material costs. I strive to minimize the outlay of cash on my projects, and i do hope that a company such as Home Depot locates in the inner eastside. I can certainly think of better places for it than the Burnside Bridgehead, but that's better than having to drive to the airport or Clackamas for materials.

Portland has many boutique suppliers, but for a housebuilder on a strict budget, the big box stores are the place to rely on.

Kirk

Target?? 13.Dec.2004 14:10

Gary

TARGET? NOOOOO WAY! But I am for Home Depot. Inner city contractors and DIY remodelers deserve better than Hippo HW which is just antique building accents anyway. Inner city contractors are on the front lines in the war against sprawl. Most contracors like to pave over wetlands, wilderness and farmland. Inner city contractors redevelop infill land that is being wasted. What would you rather see go under a condo development?? A wilderness wetland or an ugly old inner city lot?

defending Hippo Hardware 13.Dec.2004 14:23

don't buy new

I've gone to Hippo and found an exact replacement for an antique desk lamp glass shade, and one that is fairly unusual. The shade cost me only ten bucks. I've bought many an odd item there for ridiculously low prices.

Good antiques cost more, believe it or not, than the new cheesy crap made in China by slave labor.

I would be quite upset if Hippo were to go out of business. I tend to reduce, reuse, recycle, and would be loath to buy so much as a door hinge from Home Despot.

Dont forget 13.Dec.2004 14:46

Gary

After Hippo dont forget the excellent Rebuilding Center Recycled Building materials on N. Mississippi or the Habitat for Humanity Recyclables on N.Columbia. They are great but, but for the serious or average contractor and DIY'er these cant replace a Home Depot or a Parr's.

Apples and oranges 13.Dec.2004 14:57

Anonymous

I agree on one hand to keep local businesses in place but do you really think anyone ever said "Well I was going to go to Hippo but I can get the same thing cheeper at Home Depot." I don't think so. People still have the choice of shopping at Home Depot, it's just furthur away. I think the issue is what is the best use for the space. I argue no simply because it doesn't add to the neighborhood. It seems too big. For Econ geeks, think agglomerative (sp?) economy. Local businesses like Stumptown like it whan a Starbucks moves in since it creates an attraction, a coffee destination so to speak. It's a win win situation and BOTH companies profit.

There's More Than Hippo Hardware 14.Dec.2004 01:16

smh

If you're basing your argument and desire for a Home Depot on just Hippo Hardware, that's pretty ludicrous. There's also Wink's Hardware, on Stark and 3rd, just a few blocks away, that would also probably be driven out of business. And Wink's is a full service, contractor-oriented hardware store. There are many other businesses in the immediate area that will probably be negatively effected as well, like Atlasta Locks, Sheridan's, Andy and Bax, City Liquidators, etc etc. The inner southeast industrial area is the next redevelopment target on the city's radar, it is clear, but Home Depot is the wrong message to send. Locating a Home Depot is a bad idea even for gentrifiers, it will be a scar on the urban landscape that will damage Portland's desireability to the young, hip, "creative class" that people keep trying to attract.

thanks to everyone who showed up 14.Dec.2004 02:44

CaptainPlanet

The room was packed with people, many of them bicyclists clamoring for the developers to make considerations for peds / bikes, people opposed to Big Box stores, people interested in having local businesses ...

The Gerding/Edlen presenters appeared to be getting their asses kicked, as most of the written comments / questions were either challenges ("how much will be the tax contribution of this project?", "what will be the increase in electrical and water needs?") or comments to the effect that they can leave the Big Box stores out in the 'burbs.

The Beam Development group was quite popular. I was impressed with the proposed sustainable-design features such as the bioswale for water runoff, passive solar heating, and building-top windmills for contributing to the electric power needs.

You've got to be kidding.. 05.May.2005 08:23

James Johnson

Kirk McCall - you are equally as ignorant as you are uniformed...