portland independent media center  
images audio video
newswire article reporting portland metro

corporate dominance | education | government

PSU walkout to protest Higher One student ID cards

At noon on Tuesday the 23rd of November PSU students and faculty are conducting a walkout to protest the privatization of student identification cards and financial aid dispursement.
The Portland State University administration has entered into a five year contract with Higher One, a startup financial services broker in New Haven, CT, to outsource financial aid disbursements and student identifications.

PSU students were completely left out of a decision making process that turned over a students identification, complete with social security number and digital picture, to this out of state company. With only 3 local ATM machines to avoid a $1.50 fee for ATM withdrawls, a $0.50 pin transaction fee for using the debit function at retailers, and a host of other fees that average a 94% higher fee structure than banks located here in Portland, HigherOne is now locked into profiteering at the expense of PSU students.

HigherOne utilizes the services of Horizon Capital Bank, a Webster, TX based bank that according to their website gives back to their community - in Texas.

There are no local branches and phone support is only available from 8am to 8pm Mon-Fri EST. PSU is the largest and most diverse university in Oregon with some 24,000 students, yet HigherOne provides their information in one language - English.

These are state and federal funds being funneled through two companies to the extreme east and south of our country, yet the PSU Adminstration consistently stands behind their motto of "Let Knowledge Serve the City." Come join us at 1825 SW Broadway at Noon, write the PSU Administration and express your concerns, and spread the word.

in solidarity 22.Nov.2004 22:08


Fight this! Don't let them outsource your info. Educate the public on privacy and security where turning over records for financial aid disbursement and student ID info to private companies and banks are concerned. If the administration and provosts decide they need companies to do this they should at least have it done locally, say, *portland*!

System Expands and Could Expand Further 23.Nov.2004 13:47


The One Eye Demands that your information be written down and electrically coded into id cards.
HigherOne Bank give me a break!

Seriously though, this could quickly turn into a Oregon University System wide policy of financial aid disbursement and identification. I am an alumni of Southern Oregon University and they are switching to HigherOne Bank Student ID cards. If complaints of this can be moved higher than students the University will have to listen. If you write or call the OUS you can complain to them as well. If you plan on going to any school in Oregon or have children in any school in Oregon this could soon affect you. Also if you get in contact with your Alumni Association and complained that is affective. The next step is compliaing to the State Board of Higher Education, these are the people that are appointing the presidents of the universities.

Here are the addresses for Oregon University System contacts at the seven schools in Oregon
Portland Office:
This is the main Chancellor's office and also houses External Relations & Economic Development offices.
Contact information:
Mailing Address: P. O. Box 751, Portland, OR, 97207-0751
Street Address: 506 S.W. Mill, Suite 530, Portland State University campus, College of Urban and Public Affairs, Portland, OR, 97201
Phone: (503) 725-5700; Fax: (503) 725-5709.
Eugene Office:
Includes the Academic Affairs, and Finance and Administration offices.
Contact information:
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 3175, Eugene, OR, 97403-0175
Street Address: 1431 Johnson Lane, University of Oregon campus, Eugene, OR, 97403
Phone: 541-346-5700; Fax: (541) 346-5764.
Salem Office:
Includes the Legislative and Governmental Affairs office.
Contact information:
Mailing and Street Address: 544 Ferry Street SE, Suite 3, Salem, OR, 97301
Phone: 503-373-7490; Fax: (503) 373-7813

Corvallis Office:
Includes the Business Affairs Office (Controller's Office, Internal Audit, Information Technology Services, and Records Management).
Contact information:
Mailing Address: P. O. Box 488, Corvallis, OR, 97339
Street Address: Kerr Administration Building, Oregon State University Campus
Controller's Office (Room B236); Phone / Fax: (541) 737-3636 / (541) 737-0850;
Internal Audit (Room B240); Phone / Fax: (541) 737-2193 / (541) 737-9133;
Records Management ( Room B093, Kerr Admin.); Phone / Fax: (541) 737-8325 / (541) 737-9539

Southern Oregon University Switches to HigherOne ID Cards 23.Nov.2004 17:10


Email From Southern Oregon University Students Regarding ID cards through HigherOne, notice the subject




11/17/04  01:37 pm

The days of standing in line in Churchill Hall to pick up a refund check are over!



Beginning winter term 2005, SOU will no longer disburse refund checks
from the cashier windows in Business Services. Instead, with a new
multifunction student identification card provided by HigherOne (a
provider of customized financial services dedicated to the higher
education market), you choose the way your refunds are delivered.

Three options are available to you:
1) Direct deposit (by HigherOne) to the bank of your choice. If you
currently use Direct Deposit, you will need to re-submit bank account
information to HigherOne.
2) Paper check (mailed by HigherOne) to the address you select.
3) Direct deposit to a OneAccount, an FDIC insured checking account
through HigherOne.

As a currently enrolled SOU student, you will be mailed a new student
identification card, called the SOU OneCard, in early December. Once
you receive your SOU OneCard, you must log on to  http://www.SOUOne.com/
to activate your card. Activation is required to access many campus
services and to obtain refunds from the University. To avoid any delays
in campus services, it is important to activate your card immediately
after it arrives in the mail.

We've anticipated questions you may want to ask and provided the
answers below. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have
additional questions: visit  http://www.SOUOne.com/ or e-mail
 SOUOne@sou.edu. If you prefer, you may stop by Business Services
(Churchill Hall, Room 150) Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00
p.m., or call Business Services at 541-552-6311.

What happens if I choose direct deposit of my refund to my current bank
You must activate your SOU OneCard and select the option to have your
monies directly deposited into another bank account. Then simply print,
complete, and mail the Third Party Form (available at
 http://www.SOUOne.com/) to the address indicated on the form. When
HigherOne receives the form and your monies are made available by SOU,
your funds will be deposited into your designated bank account in one to
three business days. If you currently use Direct Deposit, you will need
to re-submit bank account information to HigherOne.

What happens if I choose to have my refund mailed to me as a paper
You must activate your SOU OneCard and select the option to have a
paper check mailed to you. Once SOU makes the monies available,
HigherOne will mail a check within two business days from Connecticut to
the address you designate. Depending on the mailing time, your check
should be delivered to your address within four to five business days.

What happens if I choose direct deposit of my refund to a OneAccount?
You must activate your SOU OneCard and select the option to have your
monies directly deposited into your OneAccount. When your monies are
made available by SOU, your funds will be deposited into your OneAccount
the next day. When money is deposited into your account, you will
receive an e-mail confirmation. With money in your OneAccount, the SOU
OneCard also serves as a MasterCard Debit Card: you can access your
money from ATMs, make purchases anywhere MasterCard Debit is accepted,
and transfer money electronically. In addition, you will be able to see
the details of your OneAccount by accessing your statement at

Are there fees associated with using a OneAccount?
Yes, there can be usual and customary fees associated with the
1) If you use an ATM machine that is not a HigherOne designated ATM
machine, you will be assessed a fee by that specific institution in
addition to a $1.50 per transaction fee charged by HigherOne. The
HigherOne designated ATM machine will be located on campus in Stevenson
2) A complete list of fees is available at  http://www.SouOne.com/ and

Is there a maximum amount I can withdraw on a daily basis through a
Yes, there is a maximum daily ATM withdrawal of $500 and a maximum
limit of $2,500 on any signature-based debit card transactions.

What happens if I never activate my SOU OneCard and I am due a refund?
You will be sent an e-mail notification to your SOU student e-mail
account indicating that SOU has processed a refund for you. Log on to
 http://www.SOUOne.com/ to activate your card and select your payment
method. Failure to activate your card and select a payment method will
result in your refund being returned to SOU.

What happens if I incur charges at SOU after my financial aid refund
check is processed?
You will be sent a billing statement or reminder if any additional
charges are incurred after your refund is processed. You are
responsible for payment of these charges by the published due date. All
billings, in e-mail or hard copy, are sent on or about the 10th of the
month. The first two billings of each term you will receive a statement
if you owe $5.00 or more. If you owe $4.99 or less, you will receive a
reminder in student email to check SISWeb for your updated account
summary, account balance, and amount due.
The third billing of each term no statements will be mailed. You will
receive a reminder in student email to check SISWeb for your updated
account summary, account balance, and amount due.

What if I have questions concerning my banking options?
The fastest and easiest way to get answers to your questions is through
Easy Help at  http://www.SOUOne.com/.

If you want the truth about Higher One 30.Nov.2004 08:37


This card sucks! 11.Oct.2005 14:31


Why not let students deal with their own finances the way they see fit. This might save SOU a lot of money, but it was a big hastle to me. I drive to Medford and Ashland from Grants Pass. I had car troubles and needed $1700 of my money to pay for the expendature. The only way I could get the money was to do it 500.00 at a time. I had to borrow the money and pay it back. I had to spend an entire day to do this while first tests are coming up. Other options to do the same thing included wireing the money to my bank, which would take at least two days because I can only wire $1000/day. The other way to do this was to order checks which I don't want to do. I have a checking and a savings account, and have had for years. I won't use this service again. I know there will probably be fees to have a check mailed, but I won't ever pay this crack-pot company another dime that I don't absolutely have to.

lower one 2 07.Jun.2006 16:05

bill kutzschbach

i have this card for my student id here at sam houstion in huntsville texas and it is &*)(*&*& and have the time i can not get in to check my balance which is less for avalable balanmce,,,,,,,,,,, is this the new world order bill k