newswire article reposts united states

education | human & civil rights | police / legal

11 y.o. Suspended for Cartwheels

Girl bounced from Calif. school for cartwheels
11-year-old suspended for performing gymnastic stunts at lunchtime
She clearly has terroristic tendancies
She clearly has terroristic tendancies
LOS ANGELES - Cartwheels and handstands have gotten an 11-year-old girl temporarily bounced out of her Los Angeles-area school.

Deirdre Faegre was suspended for a week after repeatedly disobeying school officials who told her not to perform gymnastic stunts during lunchtime.

"Our first concern is the safety of all children," San Jose-Edison Academy Principal Denise Patton told the San Gabriel Valley Tribune. Patton said Deirdre could accidentally strike another student, or injure herself, and other children could get hurt trying to imitate Deirdre, who has been doing gymnastics for five years.

Deirdre's father, Leland Faegre, said it was absurd to suspend his daughter for doing gymnastics when students were allowed to play basketball and other sports.

"Contact sports, apparently, are fine. But this one is so dangerous it requires the cartwheel cops," Faegre said.

homepage: homepage: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6470728/

"She clearly has terroristic tendancies" 13.Nov.2004 08:46

Agent Blongurenional

Apparently you have not seen the Abc television show "Alias". That show is nothing BUT terrorists doing gymnastic moves on the christian people.

Deirdre Faegre 13.Nov.2004 13:04

jlii

It will be the best week of school this year. Ask your 'rents about home schooling. The food will be better.

Please don't ever loose that great smile.

disobediance 15.Nov.2004 13:45

Mary

She is in the wrong! Once you get both sides of the story, then you too will agree, do not let that smile fool you. She was suspended for disobediance, not for doing cartwheels! Saw the story on the TOday show, the parents are clearly in the wrong as well and they should be ashmaed of using their child to gain attention!

I AM 100% behind the principal and the school on this one. The media needs to get the story straight.

Mary, Jesus and Joseph 15.Nov.2004 17:46

jlii

Any kid is not wrong for playing, you fool. Even if she didn't click her heals to please you. You Americans are so sick, taking on a 12 year as a power trip. She is more my hero for not obeying. Go dig a hole and crawl in Mary, say hi to the other two clowns.

IN THE WRONG 19.Nov.2004 11:42

PARENT

where and when she can do cartwheels is the answer.

The Cartwheel Chronicles 29.Nov.2004 07:51

Leland Thomas Faegre lfaegre@aol.com

This is about an educrat who has exhibited another disgraceful episode of abuse found in Government Schools endemically. How about Luther, Galileo and American Revolutionaries who stood up to the tyrannical 'madness' of King George III? And what about Rosa Parks?

Here are the facts and this is the timeline:

09/28

After picking up my daughter, she divulges that she was admonished for doing cartwheels at lunch on the playground. I considered the event anomalous and probably involving extenuating circumstances.

09/29

After picking up my daughter, she explains that she was admonished once again and without leaving the campus, investigated by finding the instructor involved. Learning that such intransigence originated from Patton and finding her gone for the day, I emailed her the following day expressing incredulity at such repressive behavior.

09/30

Electronic mail correspondence sent to Patton

10/28

Nearly a month later, she responds perfunctorily by electronic mail without offering any compromise. A phone call from Patton offers no compromise and I dutifully warn her that I have already alerted the media about this episode.

My daughter begins to receive detention time at lunch for her civil disobedience. A model student and citizen who has never questioned authority heretofore, believes she has a compelling case and dutifully and politely accepts her punishment for approximately two weeks leading up to her suspension on Wednesday, 11/10.

If Patton had sincerely concerned about Deirdre's safety and the "safety of others," she would have found an area that accommodated her passion as any decent person would have. But safety was only a ruse--a distraction to her predilection towards pathological control of these authoritarian, psychotropic medication, indoctrination and incubation facilities that are known as public schools.

I made one stop to my local newspaper. I never chased or manipulated the development of what became, an international media frenzy. It wrote itself. This pathological priestess in the tradition of Eva Peron has now been disgraced by her arbitrary arrogance, been forced to recognize Deirdre's Cause of the Cartwheel for posterity and has, wait for it. Are you sitting down? Set aside an entire football field for her to be herself. Why could that have not been arranged at the end of September? Maybe you should reread the facts stated herein.

It would be easier to compromise philosophy and integrity and gain the notoriety that has been claimed as our purpose. It would be relatively easy to be elected as either a Democrat or Republican, receive campaign bribes from the teacher's unions and ignore the comprehensive malfeasance found in Federal Education. Back in 1983, members of the Reagan-era National Commission on Excellence in Education wrote that, "if an unfriendly foreign power had attempted to impose on America the mediocre educational performance that exists today, we might have viewed it as an act of war."

So if this episode was about my Libertarian activism, why has there been so little attention made about it? I have insisted to the media that my Libertarianism not be mentioned. This is about children being children and nothing more. I alerted Patton in a phone conversation that I had alerted the media about her 'mother may I' paternalism prior to her suspension. Though forwarned, she huddled with the collective 'intellectual genius' of Edison Schools and the West Covina Unified School District and drank the poison anyway. She thinks as any government goon; she cares only about her own. It is their school, not ours, as this nanny of nonsense protects her own rather than our own. She is counterfeit.

Free education for all children in public schools

---Plank 10 of the Communist Manifesto

I have never, ever concealed my contempt for the gulags of government education. The commissars of the state indoctrinate these 'Stepford Children' to insure their own control of our destiny without the slightest knowledge of the general population, which obviously includes this High Priestess of Handstands.

Originally heralded as innovative, San Jose Edison Academy assumed the mantle of the typical incubation centers that have harmed all children to some degree whether their ignorant parents know it or not; and do so with our money.

Unfortunately and lamentably, it was and remains our best option though I implore my fellow citizens of a much better way--alas one that is competitive, conducive to greatness and remains beyond the pale of the Federal Leviathan; The separation of school and state. It can be found here:  http://www.honested.com

The only relevance of this episode is that my daughter was denied the right to be herself. My daughter was never told to violate this arrogant and arbitrary edict. I just never insisted that it be followed. So much for what one critic has called my evil master plan; adherence to and affection for the US Constitution—Article One, Section Eight where no mention of government schools can be found.

As one blogger put it, "Of course, we all know that cartwheels are just a gateway activity to harder actions, such as round-offs. "And another put it so succinctly, "go revolutionary cartwheelgirl..."

"First, God created idiots. That was just for practice. Then He created school boards."

---Mark Twain

So the next time you hear about something as remotely abusive as thong underwear inspections [in San Diego] or vulva examinations [for genital warts without parental permission in Pennsylvania], I hope you think of me as something other than an "impossible monster." And if not, please stay home on election day and let me help you with a legal excuse from jury duty.

"When cartwheels are outlawed, only outlaws will do cartwheels... "

---Anonymous