newswire article reporting portland metro

government oregon elections 2004

Sign vandalism at the County Elections office

Another local example of Republican antipathy to democracy
About 9:30 tonight, I saw a man ripping down the large "VOTE HERE" signs from the light poles at the Multnomah County Elections office. He had a stack of 2 or 3 other similar signs, and threw them all into the back of his pickup. I was sitting at the light at SE 11th and Morrison waiting for the light to turn. He pulled away from the curb and stopped at the light at 11th and Belmont where I pulled up behind him.

It was a white Toyota Tundra pickup, license plate YCU 964, with Bush/Cheney stickers and a "I'd rather be RIGHT than Politically Correct" bumpersticker.

homepage: homepage: http://www.currentmiddleages.org/bobwoods/

Bobwoods 31.Oct.2004 09:15

Catalina Eddie

You are the only one who can report this guy to the police. Do it. then keep us all aprised on what the cops are doing about it. This sounds like a real interesting story.

File a Police Report 31.Oct.2004 11:56

Amadeus

You should file a police report as this is not only a crime of theft, but a move to disenfranchise voters. I suspect Lars Larson is behind this.

PLEASE, report him! 31.Oct.2004 13:29

fellow citizen

this is excellent that you have posted this to indymedia. but please report this person to the police. people died to win the right to vote. do not let some right-wing vigilante asshole keep people from making their own choices. report back how it goes. i would love to see his name and photo on this site for some public display of his crimes.

I have filed a police report 31.Oct.2004 13:38

bobwoods

Now let's see what happens...

Seems that the righties don't believe in _your_ right to vote. Just theirs.

On this one even I agree 31.Oct.2004 19:29

red suspenders

My feeling is that political yard signs premoting a candidate are all fair game for any manner of vandalisim- I got my Kerry sign stolen a while ago, went in to the Carry Oregon office and the lady got all serious and wanted me to make a police report.. I laughed and got another sign, and was pissed that they want to bother law enforcement for a trivial matter such as this.

However, Taking a non-partisan sign directing all voters to a polling place or ballot drop station is a completely different matter. In this case I would absolutely file a police report. I'd also confront the guy myself if I could catch him and ask him, "Why do YOU hate America?" Attempting to stop citizens from voting is an assault on our democratic system.

I'm not in the least suprised- those republicans only pretend to be patriotic. Look at the list of republicans who never served in the military (and what they did to escape the draft), Vs. the democrats in our government. Hell, Jimmy Carter commanded a Nu-cu-lar submarine.

Those Republicans really do hate America-
they dont like to pay taxes to help our country
they dont like to do thier duty when the country calls them to serve in the armed forces
and the really unamerican ones even drive drive japanese cars

When and where did you file? 31.Oct.2004 22:04

Teddy Ruxpin (the lousy typist)

I would like to follow up on this as it works its way through the system. I am fairly good at tracking these things, and a nifty felony conviction against this guy will be nice come December.

AUUUUUU 01.Nov.2004 09:34

VFW

Why are you guys flipping out about this tinny trivial little thing, what about what the media is doing to our "democratic system" or what your so beloved police force is doing to our constitutional rights focus your energy on the problems not the symptoms

Police report was filed Sunday morning 01.Nov.2004 21:11

bobwoods

via phone number listed on PPB web page. I gave the info about what happened to them, along with the truck info and license plate. It's been about 36 hours and I haven't heard anything back.

Although there seems to a steady stream of voters there, I notice that the signs haven't gone back up. There was a partial sign still hanging upside down and backwards (printed side not visible) I noticed on the news tonight, the same as it was yesterday when I talked to people there at the office.

One of the folks there said the signs weren't actually theirs. Maybe someone independant like the LWV puts these signs up. If that's the case, it might not be technically illegal to tear them down. Unethical, immoral, and contemptuous of your rights, but not illegal...

American Patriotism is American Fascism 04.Nov.2004 04:46

Burn the Damned Flag.

"Anyways, why is this guy driving a "rice-burner" Toyota instead of something with an American nameplate?

Those Republicans really do hate America-
they dont like to pay taxes to help our country
and the really unamerican ones even drive drive japanese cars"

This comment is pathetic and shows how chauvinist these White "progressives" really are.

Try to out "patriot" the fascist patriots.

Try to become more flag waving than the flag wavers.

Why don't you put on your brownshirt and your swastika while you are at it, fucker.