newswire article reporting portland metro

government | imperialism & war | media criticism

KBOO Morning News Story List

Daily postings of stories played on KBOO for quick perusal of current news items, and to prompt feedback from Indymedia readers.
Here are the stories that we ran this morning:

Measure 36 Campaign Ads Disputed
Sharon Gets Incremental Support for Gaza Pullout Plan
Global Warming Threatens Global Security
Ciudad Juarez Caravan Reaches DC
Remembering Digna Ochoa
Mexican Government Asks Radio Stations to Stop Playing Songs that Glamorize
Drug Smuggling

Please, write me at  babelin2@hotmail.com if you have any comments or questions about this
morning's news!

We post these here for those who missed the news, or want to know if a particular story was broadcast, but also because we really want your feedback.. so if we misreported, missed, or underreported a story, let us know. When you comment, we change!

Comments or Questions:
503-231-8032
Kathleen Stephenson, AM News and Public Public Affairs
Robert Jefferson, PM News and Public Affairs

homepage: homepage: http://www.kboo.org
phone: phone: 503-231-8032
address: address: 20 SE 8th

what do you want a comment on? 25.Oct.2004 07:50

would listen...but never remember.

i think kboo is great. i would listen, but i never remember too, my computer is always occupied with other things.

i read through the list of report tiles, and that is interesting. however, you ask for feedback and there are no stories here, just titles.

what if you all at kboo started posting to this site, a few of your top morning stories for comment and review and just to ge tthem out here. just once a day type of thing. even post audio up if you can.

i just do think you can ask for any feedback on the titles of stories...i mean they look great and all, but this was disappointing to open.

Thanks for the Response 25.Oct.2004 09:35

Patrik Angstrom Poore

I appreciate ya!

That's a really good idea.. and kboo has posted audio from time to time in the past. The stories by the evening reporters are always posted on www.kboo.org under programming > news and public affairs. and we have news in Spanish, too!

Since I'm already putting in 20+ hours a week, I was trying to think of simple, lo-impact ways to remind folks who might be inclined to listen that KBOO is out there, volunteer run, every morning and evening, inventing the news for your amusement. I want more folks to listen, because then my volunteer work has more power. And I thought, maybe I'll just post the story titles to indymedia.. this gives people the opportunity to scan for anything they missed, then investigate themselves, or prompts folks who *did* listen to comment on a story they heard; or ESPECIALLY - activists who read indymedia but don't get up before 8 to see if a particular story they know about has run.. that's probably the most critical thing: did the story of interest to you run? If not, you can write or call the station, and we'll cover the damn thing! We also don't have enough indymedia readers contacting us with stories to follow up on, right?

and friend, if you could send any of your comment to  pmnews@kboo.org, it would prevent me from having to lobby the news directors to make changes. When I suggest changes, I have to use my organizational karma and political weight, which is an unavoidable and annoying system of favor trading "well, we implemented your idea, and that's all you get". But when people who are listeners comment, changes are made AND we know that it's actually something people want, not just my hare brained idea.

thanks so much for commenting, it was validating to even get a single response!

why don't you stream and archive 25.Oct.2004 10:53

Rebecca

Then we would not have to listen at a certain time, but when we had time. Wish I could hear Aunie and Melody or some of the other cool shows...but I have to work. The news is important. But often I miss it also because I am at work.

Streaming and Archiving 25.Oct.2004 11:30

Patrik Angstrom Poore

I will ask the folks who spend money why we don't stream and archive, but I know part of the answer:

a) we don't have enough monetary, digital storage, and volunteer resources to archive right now... if you look at the web page, it's not bad, but we could really use someone who wanted to do computer stuff...
b) we *do* stream, through abacast. AND we archive each story produced by a KBOO reporter for a single day, and replace them each day. So that's something.

There is a project going on to try to digitally archive all of KBOO's public affairs stuff.. it's so huge, it's beautiful. Like, you know, angela davis in the 70's, that kind of thing... That should be available to everyone.. I would love to spend my life doing that, but damn, I gotta eat. We need to find the volunteer\volunteers who will take that on.

Sometimes I'm disappointed with the news 25.Oct.2004 12:27

DJ Shadow

Overall, KBOO is an amazing resource. The news and most of the talk shows are great (even though I wish there was more stuff like Democracy Now, and less stuff that I see as obscure).

But occasionally, there is a fairly mainstream, or even right-wing slant to the news. I usually chalk it up to reporters or editors being misinformed (reading the AP story on May Day that said protestors were inciting violence, for example), but recently I worry that the KBOO news is trying to be more mainstream, and therefore more to the right, and it also seems like some of KBOO has jumped on the Anybody-But-Bush bandwagon. The recent coverage of the John Edwards rally downtown was extremely slanted, and perpetuated the myth that the Kerry/Edwards ticket is an anti-war ticket. There are also frequent stories about John Kerry (like the one listed above about the Washington Post endorsement). I have not heard any stories (at least on the news) that are critical of John Kerry, or at that least accurately describe his views on issues that I think KBOO listeners would be interested in, such as imperialism, free trade, or the Patriot Act.

Hopefully, after the elections, the political debate will kind of return to normal, and we will be able to be critical of all politicians--even the ones running against folks like George Bush.

KBOO DOES Archive 25.Oct.2004 16:19

Andy Seaton

The PM News department does Archive its local produced stories.

See:  http://www.kboo.fm/news.php

I Second The Comments of 'DJ Shadow' 25.Oct.2004 21:18

Eye Pea Freely

One thing that I heard this morning theat REALLY set me off, though, was when the reporter announced that Zarqawi had claimed responsibility for the bombing of the 'Iraqi National Guard' members.

Zarqawi was reported killed a long time ago. He has been reported to have had his leg amputated. No one has seen him in Falllujah. He is allegedly still on the loose despite having a $25,000,000 price tag on his head, 150,000 troops hunting him down day and night, and despite the fact that he has received a multitude 'precision' bomb attacks on several of his "known" locations.

Zarqawi is simply a reserected and ultra-hyped fiction designed to fool Americans into thinking that we are "fighting terrorism" in Iraq, and to take our minds off of the fact that it is the Iraqi population that 'we' are fighting and butchering.

Zarqawi is simply an excuse to sluaghter a lot more innocent people. Please do not report that Zarqawi did this, or Zarqawi did that, else you are aiding this deception. Consider phrasing it as 'the Army spokesman claimed' or 'unsubstantiated reports from unnamed sources indicate' that Zarqawi this, or Zarqawi that.

ps- As was discussed on this site and elsewhere, at length, the 'Zarqawi beheading Nick Berg' video was a ridiculous hoax.

What Shadow Said... 26.Oct.2004 15:22

alsis38 alsis35@yahoo.com

"...but recently I worry that the KBOO news is trying to be more mainstream, and therefore more to the right, and it also seems like some of KBOO has jumped on the Anybody-But-Bush bandwagon. The recent coverage of the John Edwards rally downtown was extremely slanted, and perpetuated the myth that the Kerry/Edwards ticket is an anti-war ticket. There are also frequent stories about John Kerry (like the one listed above about the Washington Post endorsement). I have not heard any stories (at least on the news) that are critical of John Kerry, or at that least accurately describe his views on issues that I think KBOO listeners would be interested in, such as imperialism, free trade, or the Patriot Act..."

Yep. This has made me increasingly uneasy with the station as well. We don't need another NPR. One is quite enough. :(

about KBOO and Kerry 27.Oct.2004 13:52

Ani volunteer@kboo.org

I just want to point out that KBOO, as a non-profit 501 (c)(3) organization is prohibited from being for (or even against!) any candidate. I can't really speak to the news coverage of the Edwards rally, but I can speak to several public affairs programs that have examined the records of Kerry, Bush and Cobb and have done iformational programming on all of them; this includes the talk radio program that I co-produce / host on Friday mornings and a Circle-A Radio program called "The Kerry Apocalypse".

Further, if you are concerned about the direction of our news, please come down and add your voice to the news department! We are always in need of additional people to produce local stories--- and we train! As KBOO's volunteer coordinator, I am very happy to talk with you about your participation! Give me a call at 503-231-8032 ext. 213 or drop me an email at  volunteer@kboo.org and I will be elated to give you more information about being a KBOO volunteer.

Remember: People-powered radio needs the people to power it.

Solidarity
Ani Haines

503-231-8032 ext 213
20 SE 8th, Portland, OR 97214

Volunteer 28.Oct.2004 12:19

Joe

As avolunteer at KBOO News, I have only one comment: Volunteer.