newswire article reposts united states

government | human & civil rights

Lynn Cheney Slams Kerry Lesbian Remark

(Washington) The wife of Vice President Dick Cheney is telling John Kerry to keep his nose out of her family's business, especially when it comes to Mary Cheney, her lesbian daughter.
During Wednesday night's presidential debate one of the questions asked of President George W. Bush and his Democratic rival was whether homosexuality is a matter of choice.

After Bush said he didn't know and then touted his support amending the Constitution to block same-sex marriage, Kerry said sexuality is not a matter of choice, adding: "Talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you she's being who she was." (story)

Following the debate Lynn Cheney accused Kerry of pulling a "cheap and tawdry political trick."

Introducing her husband at a campaign rally in the Pittsburgh suburb of Coraopolis she said that Kerry had crossed the line and had intruded on her family's privacy.

"Now, you know, I did have a chance to assess John Kerry once more and now the only thing I could conclude: This is not a good man," she told the audience of about 800.

"Of course, I am speaking as a mom, and a pretty indignant mom. This is not a good man. What a cheap and tawdry political trick."

The vice president did not raise the matter when he addressed the rally, but at a campaign stop in Fort Myers, Florida, he called himself a "pretty angry father".

Lynn Cheney's criticism of Kerry did not go unchallenged.

The woman who wants to replace her, Elizabeth Edwards, shot back in an interview on ABC radio news.

"I think that [Mrs. Cheney's complaint] indicates a certain degree of shame with respect to her daughter's sexual preferences," Edwards said.

Kerry's campaign later issued a statement saying the candidate was only trying to be supportive of Mary Cheney, and apologized if his words were taken the wrong way.

It was not the first time Mary Cheney has come up in the campaign. During the vice presidential debate when the issue of same-sex marriage came up Vice President Cheney brought up the fact that his daughter is a lesbian and then said that "people ought to be free to choose any arrangement they want." But, he acknowledged that Bush supports passage of the amendment and said, "He sets policy for this administration, and I support him." (story)

Democratic VP candidate John Edwards replied saying it was obvious that the Cheneys loved their daughter and that "you can't have anything but respect" for them. "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman and so does John Kerry," Edwards said. But, he added, "We should not use the Constitution to divide this country.

Dick Cheney then thanked Edwards for the "kind words he said about my family and our daughter. I appreciate that very much."

Mary Cheney's sexuality was also a hot topic at the Republican National Convention among both the far right of the party and gays.

Illinois GOP Senate candidate Alan Keyes called her a "sinner" and a "selfish hedonist." (story)

Following Bush's acceptance speech at the convention the families of both the President and Vice President appeared on the stage. All but Mary Cheney who had been in the hall for Bush's speech. Her absence led LGBT commentators to openly question whether she was being hidden away. (story)

Mary Cheney has never made a secret of her sexuality. Before joining her father's 2000 campaign in she worked for Coors Brewing as a spokesperson to the gay community.

homepage: homepage: http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/10/101404cheney.htm

A manufactured controversy 15.Oct.2004 22:53

Tom Tomorrow (reposted anonymously)

The only cheap and tawdry political trick here is pretending that John Kerry's mention of Mary Cheney was somehow a cheap and tawdry trick. It's just something for conservatives to pretend to be outraged by. Mary Cheney has been out for a long time. Kerry's remark was simply a way of humanizing the question--pointing out that gayness is not a liberal or conservative issue, any more than skin color or gender. Anyone can be gay--even the daughter of the Republican Vice President. This is only cause for outrage, as I mentioned before, if you think homosexuality is cause for shame. But this is how it's going to be for the next couple of weeks. If John Kerry says "have a nice day," Republicans will accuse him of disrespecting night shift workers.

They know they're losing, and they're desperate.

President Reveals His Ignorance 15.Oct.2004 23:12

Cross Cut

Kerry's point was that gays and lesbians do not CHOOSE their sexual orientation. It is the way they were made. George W. Bush showed how clueless and careless he is by not taking the trouble to do a little reading and simply saying, "I don't know (if it is a choice)".

The first edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-I) classified homosexuality as a sexual deviation, as did DSM-II in 1968. However, in December of 1973, the DSM-II was modified by the Board of Trustees of the American Psychiatric Association (APA), who voted to eliminate the general category of homosexuality, removing it from the lexicon of Mental Disorders and declassifying it as a "sexual deviation".

Given the grief and intolerance gays and lesbians suffer at the hands of the majority, most of them would never have purposely chosen to be different - if it had been a matter of choice, which it is not.

I think that it is unfortunate that Mary Cheney's probably desire not to create problems for her father's campaign has prevented her from speaking up on this issue. I am sure she is enduring great embarrassment at her inability to say that what Kerry voiced is absolutely correct.

I guess this means Mrs. Cheney won't be attending any PFLAG meetings. 16.Oct.2004 03:10

Ron Rodriguez

[pre]I can't even begin to express my grief that Mary Cheney's own mother would make the more awkward move of dragging her daughter's name through the mud, and making this an issue of dirty politics. This move expresses more intolerance and lack of compassion than Kerry's harmless remark could ever express. By doing so, she has shown the world that she would rather put on the front of being the "morally virtuous" beacon of righteousness her daughter couldn't live up to, and showing a marked level of shame for her daughter's personal lifestyle. It must be hard to bare the hypocrisy with a tight-lipped smile when you know your husband is part of a "faith based" administration that sees his own daughter as a political embarrassment. I can't help but shake my head and feel the shame that I live in a society where those in power still think in this manner. It's even more of a shame that I had to watch both candidates tip toe around this issue, both knowing a good percentage of their potential constituents felt strongly about this issue one way or the other, so they were forced to play the political game and spew their vagaries without either condoning or condemning, and definitely by not expressing their full support.[/pre]

silence 16.Oct.2004 07:52

gay

Hmmm. . . no comment from the daughter herself.

theres no issue then, Is there?

David Brock's "Blinded By The Right" 16.Oct.2004 09:21

Anarchy-nonymous

One of the most important reads for understanding the Far Right movement toward fascism is David Brock's "Blinded By The Right" for two reasons. First it is one of the best inside accounts of how the right wing propaganda machine works (Brock was a highly paid slime man for the right who wrote smear books on Hillary Clinton and Anita Hill). However, it also is a great account of what it's like being a gay man in the circles of conservative politics. Highly recommended.

...And I agree that the only thing slimey here is that Lynn Cheney would actually allow GOP strategists to seize on Kerry's comments about respecting homosexuality, and using Mary as an example, to make her daughter a talking point for sleeze balls like Sean Hannity and Bob Novak.

Good! 16.Oct.2004 11:53

Dick Cheney

I support lesbians because they are well suited to GO FUCK THEMSELVES!

Absurd 16.Oct.2004 16:43

Mistletoe Angel

First of all, it was Cheney himself who brought her daughter into this whole debate. At an August 25th rally in Davenport, Iowa, Cheney said his view of marriage is that "freedom means freedom for everyone.". I believe that too. He was saying this when openly opposing the constitutional ban on gay marriage. He mentioned Mary's name and believes "everyone should have the right to choose any relationship they want" or something of like words.

Kerry, that night I believe, was no different in how he responded. He specifically said, "she's being who she was, she's being who she was born as" and that we must respect that.

Cheney's wife has come out to say Kerry "is not a good man" and pulled off "a cheap and tawdry political trick.". If she really felt that way, then I wonder how she felt about what Cheney said August 25th. Does that mean Cheney is also "a bad man", that Cheney pulled a cheap trick by starting this whole Mary in the middle stunt? I don't see anything wrong on either response.

I haven't heard Mary come out in protest of Kerry's remark yet. And why would she? Mary has always been open about her sexuality. She has been open about it ever since she worked for Coors, which had a reputation of bankrolling conservative, anti-gay causes, which gay groups have long boycotted Coors for.

No, I think, in my opinion, Lynne took Kerry's remark the wrong way or overreacted, and Kerry was mature in his response.

I wish this biased media could play back what Cheney said August 25th. I'm sure according to what Lynne said, she'd consider her husband a "bad man".

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Lynn Cheney - A Contradiction 16.Oct.2004 21:58

Boyo

My question is: How could Lynn Cheney write a lesbian love story and be so unsympathetic towards gays and lesbians?

Lynn Cheney 16.Oct.2004 22:49

lucretia borgia

will do anything for power, even sacrifice her own children. Hopefully Mary will speak up--though this seems unlikely, since she herself seems to be just as enamored of money and power as her parents. Must be in the genes.

Vote for the carpet lickers 17.Oct.2004 11:27

guest

As far as I am concerned the whole family suffers from carpet licker syndrom !!