newswire article commentary portland metro

political theory a13 bush/kerry visits

Bush to visit the Little League Softball World Series?

Was my daughter forced from the Little League Softball World Series . . . to make room for Bush?
First, let me say that I am a fervent, anti-Bush activist. My 12-year old daughter Elizabeth was recently forced off her Beaverton Little League All Star team. During the District 4 tournament to qualify for the Little League World Series, after knocking in 4 runs, Elizabeth was asked by her coach, Gus Spooner, to intentionally cheat, by leaving the base early. When she refused, he yelled at her in front of the tournament director, then threatened to never play her another inning. Of course, I quickly pulled her from the team. Since then, I've been pondering Gus Spooner's bizarre behavior; after all, without Elizabeth, they only have 10 players. Elizabeth is 5'8 and 170lbs. She is the only 12 year old in the county, that can drive a 55 mph fastpitch, over 200 feet. Without her, Beaverton has little chance to win, unless of course, they cheat. Elizabeth's District 4 team is currently scheduled to play at Alpenrose at 8pm this Friday night. Could her removal have anything to do with Bush's visit to Beaverton this Friday? I'll be interested to see if Bush just happens to stop by the Little League Softball World Series tomorrow. It would explain why my daughter . . . was setup.

homepage: homepage: http://www.screenplayexpose.com

Are we a bit paranoid today? 12.Aug.2004 10:05

BU$H

Thanks for the double post I might have missed this.
By the way this is not the way to win a father of the year award.
Now which one is Elizabeth?
Now which one is Elizabeth?

I wrote "Paranoid States". 12.Aug.2004 12:40

Dave Fortner

Like I said, she's no longer on the team . . . meathead!

Saw the White House operative 12.Aug.2004 19:08

Toe Tag

He was sitting in the stands along the third base line, wearing a dark suit and sunglasses. He signed the play to Spooner by tugging on his right ear lobe, touching his nose with his left index finger, and then patting his right elbow. I was surprised the ump didn't spot it, but he's probably in on it, too.

This is why... 12.Aug.2004 21:45

Wyatt

You have to be kidding me. I hope you are kidding. If not, you have problems. I can elaborate on them if you'd like......

Paranoid States? 13.Aug.2004 05:51

Dave Fortner

Beaverton's opening game with Texas, has been postponed . . . until Bush arrives today?

Bye, Texas, Bye Bush? 13.Aug.2004 10:07

Dave Fortner

Press leaks indicate Bush is scheduled to leave Portland at 2:45 today. The Oregonian reports today's Little League World Series schedule as: 8 p.m. -- District 4 (Beaverton) vs. Latin America (Rosario Y. Cardona, Maunabo, Puerto Rico), "pending Little League ruling". Yesterday's Beaverton game against Texas is postponed, and today they have a bye? Folks, we got trouble, right here in River city.

And the hits just keep on comin' 13.Aug.2004 13:26

DDF

Gus Spooner's caught cheating, before he even starts the game!

link to www.oregonlive.com

Oh Well 14.Aug.2004 09:14

Loves softball

It sounds like a bunch of bitter parents over in Distric 4. Oh Well stop cheating and get a life! distric 4 had no chance of winning the world seris, they aren't the best team on Oregon, has distric 4 ever won? NO? humm I'm not surprised...best chance to win is to cheat... lol

Sad 14.Aug.2004 09:49

S.A.D.

It's really a shame that the rules keep the best softball players from competing in Little League. I know that my daughters enjoyed LL, but left to go to ASA because they enjoyed competing at a higher level, with more tournament action.

I'd like to see the rules changed to allow for the girls to play both. Unfortunately, too late for Beaverton. Gus tried to do it, but got burned in the end, by the rule change. It's sad that play had to be postponed, but maybe this will help bring changes to LL for the girls.

"Gus tried to do it, but got burned in the end, by the rule change." 14.Aug.2004 10:24

Dave Fortner

The rules didn't stop my daughter from playing in the Little League Softball World Series. Gus Spooner's cheating did. Don't like the rules? Change 'em! But don't teach our children to cheat! Gus Spooner didn't just break his pledge to our Little League; he broke a sacred trust to all the children who yearn to play the game. Below is the pledge he took, then broke:

LITTLE LEAGUE SOFTBALL WORLD SERIES -- PRESS RELEASE

This morning, in a decision passed down through Little League Baseball Inc, by the Tournament Committee in Williamsport Pennsylvania regarding the protest involving the District 4 Oregon team, Beaverton Area Little League, two players have been excluded from further International tournament play.

Based on a new rule instituted by Little League for the 2004 season: A player may participate in other youth baseball or softball programs prior to the first game involving that players team. Once play begins for a tournament team, players named on that tournament affidavit mat NOT participate in any other youth baseball or softball program until that team is eliminated from tournament play.

Any player, Coach or Manager listed on the eligibility affidavit who is unable to participate because of injury, illness, vacation or other justifiable reason may be replaced by another eligible person. If a player, Manager or Coach is replaced, that person may not be returned to the tournament affidavit. Permanent replacements must be from the Leagues regular season teams and shall be recorded and approved by the District Administrator or the Tournament Director in the space provided on the back of the eligibility affidavit.

This afternoon in a decision passed down through Little League Baseball, Inc. by the Tournament Committee in Williamsport Pennsylvania, the Manager of the District 4 team has been excluded from further tournament participation due to eligibility issues. That rule states:

"I pledge that I will not solicit or seek to convince tournament players from the Little League program named on page 1 of this form (Beaverton Area) to play in another youth baseball or softball program, which could result in a violation of the Official Tournament Rules and Guidelines of Little League Baseball and Softball."

Define Irony? 14.Aug.2004 10:33

Dave Fortner

Before the start of the District 4 tournament game, Gus Spooner chose my daughter and two other girls to say the Little League pledge. How ironic, he would choose those very same girls . . . to cheat?

Define Irony? 14.Aug.2004 10:37

Who is she angry with anyway? 14.Aug.2004 10:59

an observer

The rules regarding Little League and multi-program participation ONCE THE ALL STAR TOURNAMENTS START UP were changed MONTHS ago and the team's manager (head coach) - knowing the rule, and, I understand, having been instructed again regarding the rule by the league president and staff of the WORLD sERIES - opted to violate the rule. I understand that, AFTER the All Star Tournaments started, the head coach's daughter plus three other girls on the Beaverton All Star team flew out of state to an ASA tournament - with two playing in the game and two others being on the ASA roster - intending to play, but apparently being "benched" by the ASA coach (ASA has no "mandatory playing rule" to get the girls involved in the game), and violating LL's rules. The purpose of the rule regarding multi-program participation is multi-fold: i.e. to be sure the team has enough players to field and advance a team for the tournament (12-4=8 = not enough to field a team); to guidelines established by an International Committee of Sports Physicians focused on youth who directed a structure for the safety of a pitcher's arm (LL structures how much and how often a child can pitch with a primary goal of not setting them up for an injury by overuse. They are only 11 & 12 yrs of age - not fully developed, and even adults in semi- and pro- ball have some structure regarding pitching.)

This Beaverton parent is on a RANT about something besides Bush and/or Little League. She also, as someone else mentioned, doesn't have facts straight about the LLSBWS game schedules. Her RANT needs to be directed to the Adults who chose to break rules and Cheat (or attempt to cheat) and the girls and their families who set the team up for the Protest at the LLSBWS by taking part in the violation. But then perhaps it wouldn't be their fault if they were driving 95 MPH in a 65 MPH zone and got a ticket?? Rules and laws, when violated, generally have some penalty - perhaps even more so when the violators get caught. Setting a precident by allowing a rule/law-breaker to continue without paying the penalty is not good for the child, the adult, the team, the program ... It doesn't teach them anything but to try to get away with cheating again ...

You get me . . . you really get me! 14.Aug.2004 12:03

Dave Fortner

Bravo. This is not brain surgery. Play by the rules and don't cheat! My daughter played by the rules. She didn't join Gus Spooner's ASA team and she didn't go to the Nationals. What she did do, was help Chris Keller's ASA team win one of 2 berths to the nationals. Gus Spooner's team came in 3rd. After giving Elizabeth the game ball for helping to qualify his team for the nationals, Keller handed over his berth to Spooner, and Spooner then took his team to the nationals. Having witnessed that, Elizabeth quite ASA and focused solely on Little League. It was later, in the District 4 tournament, Spooner asked her to cheat. She refused and left the team. Spooner went on to cheat again.

RANT INDEED! 14.Aug.2004 13:30

Dave Fortner

For the most part, I've found the people of Oregon to be honest, hard working folks. Placing sole blame on parents, coaches, ASA officials and Little League officials, falls way short from what I see going on. In other words, "Any scheme derived to deprive the people of Oregon out of the property interests they hold in the Little League Softball World Series" falls under the "RICO ACT".  http://www.ricoact.com/ 1st offense:

$500,000 fine + 20 years in prison.

Rant Indeed! 14.Aug.2004 13:47

Dave Fortner

For the most part, I have found the people of Oregon to be honest, hard=working individuals, so, solely blaming parents, coaches, ASA officials and Little League officials seems to be a bit of a stretch. In other words, "Any scheme derived to defraud the people of Oregon out of the property interests they hold in the Little League Softball World Series," would fall under the "RICO ACT".  http://ricoact.com First offense:

$500,000 fine + 20 years in prison.

Fortner is an idiot 16.Aug.2004 15:21

Parent

Sorry Dave, but I think you need mental health treatment, if not you, for Elizabeth, and your other two darling kids. I am a parent on the All-star team, and my daughter has been asked to "leave early"..that is NOT cheating, its playing with skill and compassion (for the other team). I've seen dozens of teams do it, and it is a sign of good coaching. So, Dave, Please, for the sake of your childreen's athletic career, Stop being one of "Those" parents, and stop being an A-HOLE. It would be in your best interest not to show up at the World Series.

You are part of the problem! 16.Aug.2004 16:00

Dave Fortner

If the Eastern Regional Director of Little League says it's cheating, that's good enough for me. My kids are not only darling, they're honest. By the way, I don't respond to threats or name calling . . . mom.

"In softball, if you leave early, you are out. In baseball, if you leave early and the ball is not hit, you go back to the bag you left. If the ball is hit and the runner leaves early, it depends on many factors that are all listed in the rulebook as to what occurs."

"If the manager is deliberately telling his players to leave early, give one warning and then eject the manager. Thank you."

Donald R. Soucy

Eastern Regional Director

Little League Eastern Region Headquarters
335 Mix St.

PO Box 2926

Bristol, CT 06011-2926

860-585-4730
860-585-4734 (Fax)

Response 16.Aug.2004 17:33

Parent

It was no threat. I don't care what some East Regional Director has to say, its not cheating. Furthermore, the embarassment you caused me, my family, YOUR daughter, and the entire District 4 environment was inexcusable, (yes, I'm referring to your tirade at Alpenrose). I have coached many teams, in many sports, and have NEVER been so appalled, you should be ashamed of yourself.

"I don't care what some East Regional Director has to say, its not cheating." 16.Aug.2004 17:52

Dave

You know it's cheating to ask a child to intentionally get out, so it is you who should be ashamed. I am appalled that you don't care what the Eastern Regional Director has to say! I mean, he's the guy that makes the rules! Give him a call and get off my blog.

That's a rap folks! 17.Aug.2004 08:21

David Fortner

As I said at the beginning of this blog, without Elizabeth, "Beaverton has little chance to win, unless of course, they cheat." Texas beat District 4, 15-0. The game was mercifully stopped, in the 4th inning. District 4 went on to lose again and get eliminated, without even placing. The results of Gus Spooner's cheating not only cost my daughter her chance to play in the Little League Softball World Series, it embarrassed the entire State of Oregon. Testimony has been offered on this very blog, that indicates Gus Spooner intentionally threw the Little League World Series. And I quote: . . . "the team's manager (head coach) - knowing the rule, and, I understand, having been instructed again regarding the rule by the league president and staff of the WORLD SERIES - opted to violate the rule."

I now call for a public investigation into why Galen Spooner purposely sabotaged Beaverton's chance to win the Little League Softball World Series.

GIVE ME A BREAK! 17.Aug.2004 15:43

Loves Softball

Beaverton didn't have a chance of winning with or without your daughter. They are a good team, but they (AREN'T) and (HAVE NEVER BEEN) a great team. they are just average, they have never beent he best team in Oregon. Or they would try to win state, and they won't, just stop, with the crap of Beaverton could have won the LLWS with your daughter, cause it ain't true, Beaverton couldn't even win the LLWS when Page was the pitcher, and that was a better team than what they have now.... sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo shut up!

Can't we all just get along? 18.Aug.2004 09:19

Dave Fortner

Everyone knows Gus Spooner's daughter Megan is the best twelve-year-old pitcher in the state. She pitches 55 mph fastballs and she's a damn good hitter. Chelsea's a fearless hitter. As a catcher, she's got the heart of a lion; unfortunately, God wrapped it in the body of a cub. Neither can match Elizabeth at the plate! Elizabeth is 5'8, 170 lbs of grease lightning. She can hit a 60 mph fastball over 200 feet. As a catcher, she can gun down runners from her knees. As an outfielder, she can gun down runners at first and at home. If you can't steal, you can't win. Asia Pacific's pitcher proved Texas can't hit the fastball. Make no mistake, these 3 girls play, Texas gets whooped! So, why didn't these 3 girls play? Gus Spooner! Sooooooooo, you shut up!

what team does your kid play for? 18.Aug.2004 16:13

tarmackmaster

her name doesnt ring a bell...what asa team did she play for?...other then being picked up to fill in spots for kellys team at 1 tourn.

Over and Out! 18.Aug.2004 20:10

Dave Fortner

Enough with the chit chat! Onward with the investigation. This Blog is done.

you are a nut 18.Aug.2004 22:55

loves softball

I feel sorry for you kid, she don't have a chance, the way you rant and rave, you sure sound like one sick puppy. You are in dreamland, you need to go see a doctor, they have pills for people like you that have a reality problem.. You just keep up your crazies and your kid will act like you when she is grown, you need to break the chain now....
I won't tell you to shut up, but you do need to get fitted for a straight jacket...

Parting Shot 19.Aug.2004 11:45

Dave Fortner

Elizabeth plays for Team USA! She's the 5'8 girl standing alongside 6'0 Stacey Nuveman. I'm the guy in the straight jacket.

your an idiot Dave 19.Aug.2004 13:06

Anonymous

Hey ive seen thebeaverton team play with there whole team and that not inculeing Elizabeth she Quit she was not forced off the team so i dont know what ure somking but it must be something good for u to think that your daughter can do all of that cuz she can not ive have seen her play in dist.4 and in the torn the chris Kelly picked her up for she is not at all as good as you say she is very bad not trying to hurt her feelings or anything but its true!!!! You need to get a life and stop blaming your mastiakes on Gus spooner and other people!! your daughter is gonna turn out just like you!!!!

And Beaverton had a great dchance of winning the llsbws if they had ChelseyB and Megan Spooner!!!! they could have took it all they had 2 good pitchers and 2 ok pitchers!!! I think that rule is very silly and stupid and they just put it in this year and thre rule book came out in april and people were allready making plans to go to natinals and the world series!!! I think that you need to get a life and go to the mental Hospital that was very rude and unconcederitable to fight with gus spooner out on the field after the semi final game beaverton won!!!! well that is just about everything i want to say to you and eveyone else!!! good bye and get a life!!!!!!!!!!

A sign of good coaching or cheating? 20.Aug.2004 09:29

Dave Fortner

"I am a parent on the All-star team, and my daughter has been asked to "leave early"..that is NOT cheating, its playing with skill and compassion (for the other team). I've seen dozens of teams do it, and it is a sign of good coaching."

Southwest beat District 4 15-0. Central beat Europe 14-0. Southwest beat Latin America 13-1. Latin America beat Eurupe 16-2. Southwest beat South 18-5. Where was the compassion? Not once in any of those games did a coach ask a child to "leave early." Not once, during the entire Little League Softball World Series, did a coach dare try an intentional out. What was the score in the District 4 tournament, when Gus Spooner asked my daughter to "leave early"? It was 8-0. Are we to believe that Gus Spooner and Beaverton's band of coaches, are the only coaches, IN THE WORLD, that play with "skill and compassion"? What have we learned from this LLSWS . . . coaches/parents? All together now: ASKING A CHILD TO LEAVE EARLY, IS NOT A SIGN OF GOOD COACHING; IT'S A CLEAR SIGN OF CHEATING! Class dismissed!

hey now it all 27.Jun.2007 12:23

anonymous

Where is your daughter playing softball now.