newswire article commentary united states

actions & protests | arts and culture | gender & sexuality

"I Had an Abortion"

Barbara Ehrenreich argues that women should own up to our abortions in her New York Times column. We can begin doing so by wearing a beautiful "I Had an Abortion" T-shirt made available by Planned Parenthood -- the T-shirt denounced by anti-abortion right-wing groups. The designer of the T-shirt, Jennifer Baumgardner, is also "making a documentary called I Had an Abortion that features women who don't regret having abortions." Read the rest at http://montages.blogspot.com/2004/07/i-had-abortion.html.

homepage: homepage: http://montages.blogspot.com/

When will 30.Jul.2004 20:58

the

NYTs own up to its abortion of the truth??

That is a little gross, don't you think? 30.Jul.2004 21:54

...

Abortion is a serious and personal choice, not a reason to sell t-shirts.

Personal Choice 30.Jul.2004 22:18

....

I agree it is a very difficul personal decision that has been stimatized by the culture and the stigma is used as a tool by the religious right. Wearing a tee-shirt would be a coragous act to break that stigma. I would wear one, altough I am male, because I have confronted that decision and it was a very difficult choice.

When shame is a tool to suppress discussion of very important matters then it must be confronted directly. Declaring it boldly might open the conversation.

Selling such tee shirts would be crass.

The Poster Of This Article here 30.Jul.2004 23:23

is a TROLL

and so are each of the above 'commenters'

I wouldn't mind seeing guys wearing the 30.Jul.2004 23:26

another view

t-shirts at all (although it might also be good to have "my partner had an abortion" shirts).

Why do many treat a few human cells as the most precious thing on earth, and the decision to terminate those human cells as the most weighty decision, while we allow the torture fully grown primates at OHSU, and callously slaughter intelligent, sentient pigs for food? Let's stop overvaluing human (in this case potential human) life, and undervaluing nonhuman animal life.

Weird 31.Jul.2004 00:05

Odd

I wonder if anybody will wear the t-shirt? I wouldnt think so. I think it might be a clever PR publicity campaign to counteract the dominant social and religious stigma to have the baby.

Not My Decision 31.Jul.2004 00:19

bitter root

As a male, I can only support any woman's decision to wear or not wear that t-shirt.

Wearing the t-shirt might go some way to bring some reality to the fundamentalists' "inspirational" fixation that life begins with mammal egg fertilization, ends at birth, and begins again after death, with a view to bring some thought and sense to dealing with real life needs of all species that humans share the planet with during that period between human birth and death.

for years 31.Jul.2004 02:34

I've wondered

For years - when politicians, usually male, suggest they are courageous warriors for women by proclaiming with grandiosity, "I support ..." and then finish the sentence with the suggestive, but somehow timidly empty, phrase, "a woman's right to choose" - I've wondered, "the right to choose what?" (Doesn't EVERYONE have a right to choose? Is there a particular right or particular choice they're refering to, but, perhaps too discrete to name?)

Now, finally, I know: a "woman's decision to wear or not wear a t-shirt."

In this objectivist culture, I guess that's an important personal choice.

You've Wondered 31.Jul.2004 14:28

for years

It seems that:

The decision to wear or not wear that t-shirt is one of free speech.

The decision to abort or not abort a fetus is one of a woman's control of her body and its processes, based on her (hopefully informed) evaluation of her personal situation.

Cool! 31.Jul.2004 17:30

There should be a shirt for all the males who have helped with the fertilization process that says, "I helped contribute to an abortion."

I remember 31.Jul.2004 18:42

Alice

I remember being in my mom's womb. Many people can't, but some can. Since I can remember it, it stands to reason that a fetus is a thinking, self-aware, sovereign entity, at least at the point that it's brain has been developed, usually toward the end of the first trimester. I think it probably would have sucked if she'd had me scooped out at that point, although I wouldn't have blamed her if the pregnancy had been a risk to her life. However, if she had just decided to abort me at that point just because she didn't feel like having me, well, I'd be like "fuck her" (assuming there is life after death and assuming that the psychic state of said life facillitates an entity's ability to be like "fuck her".).

"12 weeks - Vocal chords are complete, and the child can and does sometimes cry (silently). The brain is fully formed, and the child can feel pain. The fetus may even suck [its] thumb. The eyelids now cover the eyes, and will remain shut until the seventh month to protect the delicate optical nerve fibers."-- http://www.w-cpc.org/fetal1.html

All I'm trying to say is that, if you're going to have an abortion, have it before the child is a child. After that, you should tough it out unless it's a risk to your life. I don't think that this is something that the government should regulate/enforce because I'm like "fuck government, let people decide for themselves what their morals are and what they are going to do", but I do think that a person who knowingly aborts a baby after it has fully become a baby for no good reason is a total fuckwad, and has a lot of karma to pay back, assuming they believe in that sort of thing, which I don't, but it's a good way to make a point. I don't think that my moral opinions should be enforced on anyone else, which is why I support the "right to choose".

I think that the idea of a t-shirt that says "i had an abortion" is pretty pointless, because it means nothing in and of itself. If it said "I had an abortion at 5 weeks because I couldn't support a child", and you had others that said "I had an abortion at 15 weeks because I would have died during labor otherwise", and still others that said "I had an abortion at 15 weeks cuz I fuckin felt like it", then the t-shirts might mean something, but otherwise they are just another way to muddy the issue and keep people ignorant.

Blow back 31.Jul.2004 19:57

we did it to ourselves

Guess who replaced all those aborted American "pieces of tissue"?

That's right, legal and illegal immigrants. You can't abort millions and millions of pregnancies, year after year, and still have a functional society. Hence the need for millions of foreigners to replace the milllions voluntarily aborted by the citizens of this nation.

Damn! 31.Jul.2004 20:52

brilliant

...stop abortions and you stop immigration!

But is that a fundamentali$t victory or dilemma? Immigration (under current practices) advances worker exploitation for maximum accumulation of wealth for those hiring, with minimum, hazy to none, social and human rights "burden".

It's so beautiful.... 01.Aug.2004 08:31

Wyatt

Abortion is such a beautiful and natural thing, I don't see why there's controversy. They should advertise it all over the place..........

I have a t-shirt 01.Aug.2004 20:03

that says

"I am an abortion"

i remember alot 26.Aug.2004 16:52

autonomous

fuck government, let people decide for themselves what their morals are and what they are going to do.

i just had to say that, to make up for alice's unwillingness to embrace the philosophy that to me defines true liberty.

anyway, i think the t-shirt is a great idea. i think anyone who wears one can expect to be provoked on the street, and should prepare themselves for that.
i worry, though, that seeing the t-shirt could be triggering for women who are
traumatized by their abortion experience; however, that's no reason to keep abortion in the closet. wear it, but be sensitive to others' reactions, because abortion is a loaded topic, and most people are motivated to their opinion of it, whatever their opinion, by their personal ethics and experiences.

some may think its gross, some may think its crass, but the truth is, we can't defend our right to have abortions if we can't talk about abortion.

i would wear one but i haven't had an abortion. i want one that says "i downed a month's worth of birth control pills and got really sick, but at least i had the right to choose!"