Economic justice for all
One in four workers - 30 million Americans - make poverty level wages.
Millions more don't make enough to support a family.
* Raise the federal minimum wage to $9.04 per hour, the Federal Poverty Level for a family of four. Index it to inflation so that it goes up as prices rise.
* Take all taxpayers who make less than $18,800 per year, FPL for a family of four, off the federal tax roles.
* Universal government paid health care - like all the other industrial democracies have.
* Repeal Bush's middle and upper class tax cuts. Use the money to finance health care and tax cuts for low wage workers.
* Repeal federal laws that make it difficult to organize unions. Enforce pro-union laws against employers who break them.
* Define a "temporary" job as not more than 3 months. Require same benefits for temps as are given to permanent workers.
* Make all workers eligible for unemployment insurance. Extend unemployment benefits to match the period that workers are typically unemployed.
* Restore job stability. Require employment of at least one year after hiring before "permanent" employees can be laid off.
* Restore "safety net" programs - welfare, unemployment, Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps, low-income housing, etc. - that have been cut by both Republicans and Democrats. Repeal the 1996 Welfare Reform Act.
* Free college education or job training for all who need it.
* Regulate corporations to reduce their power and keep them from cheating people.
* Fair trade not "free" trade. Repeal NAFTA. Abolish tax credits that encourage sending U.S. jobs to other countries.
* Cut the military budget to free up money for human needs. No more wars except in self-defense. Get U.S. out of Iraq.
* Raise minimum Social Security payments to a level that people can survive on. Reduce full Social Security retirement age back to 65.
* Require higher wages for part-time work to discourage it. Most people cannot live on part-time wages.
* Fully fund programs to build affordable housing for low-income people.
* Everyone is entitled to enough income to cover basic necessities. For those who cannot find jobs, provide government jobs or a subsistence level government payment.