As the American public is once again threatened with news reports of "reliable government intelligence" (the source of which remains nebulous and undentified) that the country faces another large-scale attack, the only way George Bush can personally profit is if martial law is declared.
A second attack would bring into focus all of the errors his administration has made to "bring it on" and bury his chances in the November elections:
1) Ignoring and then meagerly pursuing Bin Laden
2) Coddling Saudi Arabian nationals and using a "kid glove" approach in taking to task the country from which a majority of the 9/11 attackers came.
3) Skimping on a homeland security plan and funding for security at home
4) Launching a preemptive unilaterial assault on a country that was no threat to United States security and laying waste to its citizens and infrastructure - in turn causing the number of terrorist sympathizers to grow, rather than to shrink
5) Acting arrogantly and unilaterally - with no apologies to allies or to the abused. In the eyes of Mr. Bush, he has done no wrong and the end justifies the means employed (although a few "bad apples" who were discovered must be sacrificed because their behavior cannot be ignored or tacitly condoned without resulting moral outrage from US citizens).
6) Allowing our attention to be so focused upon Iraq that Afghanistan has suffered . . . less money, less troops, less planning in Afghanistan has led to tribal infighting, the regrouping of the Taliban, and an explosion in poppy crop cultivation. A recent report stated that at least 40% of the world's heroin now originates in Afghanistan.
7) Planning so poorly and extending our resources so broadly that we can expect the draft to return in Spring of 2005. In the meantime, our National Guard troops - mostly civilian weekenders - which have historically existed to defend us on our soil and to assist in community emergencies are being shipped to, and annihilated in unprecedented numbers, in Iraq and Afghanistan.
If there is another attack, it can be laid at the feet of this administration, which has done everything within its power to made us LESS, rather than MORE, secure.
The following guide will help you plan, prepare, and get ready in the event that martial law threatens your safety and well-being. It is divided into two parts. The first part describes the framework for martial law and the second part the actions to take in preparing or the actual declaration of martial law.