promoted newswire article reporting portland metro

actions & protests | community building | faith & spirituality

Prayer for the warriors of North Portland

Here is a prayer for the warriors and protectors of North Portland. North Portland has been a major powerspot of many people. Starting with the Chinook and Kalapuya peoples, then the native people Souix, Cheynne, Klamath driven to North Portland to work in the ship yards during WII. The Asians and Hawaiian who were enslaved to work on the railroads. They were locked in these neighborhoods. Ho!
Here is a prayer for the warriors and protectors of North Portland. North Portland has been a major powerspot of many people. Starting with the Chinook and Kalapuya peoples who met on this point to catch the Salmon, here where two rivers meet. Then the Native people: Souix, Cheyenne, Shoshone and Klamath were driven to North Portland to work in the ship yards during WII. The Asians and Hawaiian were enslaved here to work on the railroads. They were locked in these neighborhoods. Ho!

I know the history. I have not forgotten. I carry these stories told to me by Native American story tellers Johnny Moses, Ed Edmo and Tsa-La-Gi, Randi'L Teton (Shoshone/Bannock), Judy Trejo (Piaute), Martin High Bear, Drummer Smith.

It was at this place called North Portland where the two rivers meet and white men came to gain control at first for their supply boats, later they interned the people there. Later when African Americans realized they were not to share in the land grab but were to be used as slaves on the white man's farms and factories, they came here and were sent here to North Portland to be in a place that would keep them outside the white neighborhoods.

We built communities but still the white man came and subjected us to random and organized violence. Public transportation and health care and good schools were kept from us when the "great society" was built. We did not at first share in roads, hospitals and schools. We built our own. We agreed to put up with each other.

We also shared in the poverty, depression, and depravation. We know that white men came to the community to sell us alcohol, drugs and guns. These men wanted us to self-destruct so they could take away our resources and community.

Now, they come again to de-stabilized us. The land is worth millions and millions. They want to buy up everything and displace us again. They don't want people of color and people who live in poverty to be seen on the streets. They don't want to scare away the rich people who come to buy up everything and make it sterile. They harass us and try to make us afraid of one another. They sell us meth and crack and shoot us. They try to get us to shoot each other. We know what is happening. We have our own warriors and our own elders, and our own rules. We will not sit down and wait for them to take everything away.

Here is my prayer:

Great Spirit who creates all things - protect us.

Protect the warriors who stand up to the Brotherhood of the Strong.
Protect the elders who help the young.
Protect the voices so that they will be heard. Ho!

Make us not afraid. This is a holy land where many struggles have been fought
Here on this point where two great rivers meet.
Help us to remember the stories so that we will remember where we belong.
Help us to act with strength and courage because all we really have left is our community.
Bring us abundance so we can feed our children and house our families.

Protect us and make us strong from the mercenaries sent to kill our young men.

Help us all to remember that we must be together. HO!

PRAYER FOR THE WARRIORS 08.May.2004 14:20

Iyanna & Da Sistas of Complete Revolution

HO! Yes, we too are peaceful in daylight but we're taking back the night! Your words are very profound & inspiring. We will always remember and hold them close to our hearts.These are our streets. This is our land and we will not live in fear.

strength of unity will prevail 08.May.2004 14:48

Ras Danny, Higher Reasoning Reggae Time, KBOO Radio rasdanny@msn.com

blessid! we must stand united in this struggle. would the author, Nori Ga-Ach-Li, please contact I before I next program, May 15... Ras Danny rasdanny@msn.com or 503 860 8647

503 860 8647

hmm 08.May.2004 15:46

When I look around NoPo and NE, I see legions of brainwashed people sadly spending their money on garbage like "Spinner" rims and Hilfiger hip-hop gear. All of the white trash and most of the natives drink their lives away on bar stools, as they have for several generations. Head on up to Safeway, and watch one 19 year old mother of three bastard children by as many fathers after another pay for her food with other people's money.

Interest rates are at an all time low. If you can try to not think about the many historical injustices that resulted in this situation for a second, and just think about what you can do to improve your situation, there are 4 options :

1) Divest yourself completely of the totemic "Cargo Cult" mentality of blind consumerism that is foisted upon you by the mass media, MTV and it's progeny, and commercial rap music.

2) Practice birth control. It's very, very simple.

3) Exercise a little impulse control in the drinking/ substsance abuse department.

4) Invest in the LAND, which is a true source of enormous economic power and clout, with the piles of money you will save from the first 3 suggestions.

Ignore this advice, as you have proven yourselves to do over and over and over and over again, and the cycle repeats itself, while the wealthy and powerful laugh and laugh at you. I am well aware of how insensitive this may sound, but it is the plain and ugly truth.

misogynist bullshit 08.May.2004 19:16

thanks for sharing

However she got it, it's her money now, asshole.

How much tax-funded public money do you think ends up in Intel managers' pockets, anyway? Wanna talk shit about them? Or are they respectable because they got their hands on more of it?

The system can't function without a standing army of broke people ready to take new jobs (or strikers' jobs). It doesn't matter how hard everybody works, or what people invest in. The establishment has plenty of levers and handles it can manipulate to maintain the status quo, and it does, and it will continue to do so as long as it is in power.

Systemic Racism will not be changed with reform 08.May.2004 20:28

Oni

To .
You are a racist. Not recognizing that historical injustices have created a system/situation where its nigh on impossible for minorities to escape their role as the impoverished unskilled proletariat is a completely racist way of looking at the problem. The system tells them that they SHOULD be buying spinner rims and baseball caps and 40's, just like it always has, just like the system tells you (here I'm assuming you're a white male, just because of the nature of your comment) that you should go to college and get a job where you wear a suit, drive a nice car and buy a home. Don't disregard the fact that the role models that you grew up with ARE NOT the same ones minority folks in N. PDX did.
Also, as far as this whole attacking police officers matter goes, I'd really like to hear from people of color organizations as to what they feel like white ally's can be doing at the moment.

This is interesting 08.May.2004 21:29

Not white

I wouldn't assume that "." is a white male by "his" comments at all. Quite possibly this person could be one that got out of N. Portland by doing just what he or she suggests. Funny Oni that you and "." actually agree that it's the system that tells people in N. Portland to buy spinner rims etc. Might you be the racist in suggesting that these people not have the capacity to rise up out of it? It's hard. Yes, it's hard for us all to do so. But you need people telling you that you can do it, not that you can't.

hmm, again 08.May.2004 23:34

Funny thing is, the only thing in my comment that could be construed as a pejorative specifically against a certian race of people was against my own...white trash...who, like their black and brown counterparts and next door neighbors, igonore this reality for the most part, while the white Elites play all of them against each other like ants fighting for crumbs from the picnic table. It really is a kind of Rorschach inkblot, this question of "race", no ? When it comes to our rotting republic, class structure, and what people can actually DO about the situation that they are born into...

It is absolutely ludicrous to me how anyone can use a blanket statement like "white" any more than they can use the term "black", especially in light of the mountain of evidence that most poor white people in this country are literally descended from slaves, and that a signifigant amount of inter-breeding occured amongst these terribly abused races of people over the generations, thus blurring the line of we are taught by the power structure to assume is "white" and "black."

Have a nice night. Perhaps you could make it a really fine evening with a re-reading of some old chestnuts such as "The Grapes of Wrath" or "The Jungle" or "The Bomb" or any of Emma Goldman's works...all about disposable laborers of mainly dirt poor European descent...like my family.

Dot is a snot 09.May.2004 10:17

Dit

"Quite possibly this person could be one that got out of N. Portland by doing just what he or she suggests."
Oh, please,save it for your mirror..........this racists writing stinks of a coddled suburban, whose only contact with people of color is through corporate media's bullshit and Jerry Springer. The only time this wad of skin was ever in N. and N.E. was driving 85 on the freeway on his/her way to trendy town.

This could be taken from some white supremacist's hand book:
".........the mountain of evidence that most poor white people in this country are literally descended from slaves...... "
You got it backasswards, Please supply some of this mountain of evidence, I would be interested in just seeing where you get your info from.

"Practice birth control. It's very, very simple."
If you Range Roving yuppie fucks will show us how it's done, we'll give it a try masta!

There is alot of positive in N and NE than negative,people like Nori Ga-Ach-Li, people working together.
When the only news coming out of the area is the ilk of police killing residents, it tends to skew people's perception especially if they have never set foot in the neighborhood.

. 09.May.2004 16:34

pick up a textbook

I live by NE 15'th avenue, near Killingsworth...and have for years. Before that is was another poor area in another city. Grew up in a trailer park, which was a step up from the real black ghetto I was born in. It's a nice area, really, NE...lots of different kinds of people...I'm not knocking all of it and it's inhabitants, just some of the more prevalent idiocies I see daily. If you really want to step from behind the keyboard to hurl some more insults at me like "wad of skin", name the time and place. It'd be interesting to see how tough you talk with a mouth full of broken teeth, bitch, after I curb job your vegan mouth with my steel toed boots or disembowel your stomach onto the ground. You get the first swing...the rest are mine. Think I'm kidding ? Try me. Otherwise, pick up some of the books I mention here and quit insulting me and trying to pick a fight. It's childish and cowardly. I'm not the one hurling insults here, and it really starts to rile me up when you don't listen to my comment and instead just call names. I realize that this might be hard for you, but you will reap great rewards if you just crack a few books on subjects that have been taboo to you.

There are many books on the subject of the white underclass in America and it's terrible treatment at the hands of Yankee Doodle....just use an invention you may have heard of called "Google." Some other works by people you have surely heard of like Howard Zinn and Michael Parenti go into great detail about the history of indentured servitude and forced white slave labor in this country. One called "They Were White and They Were Slaves : The Untold History of the Enslavement of Whites in Early America" by Micheal A. Hoffmann (Dresden, NY : Wiswell Ruffin House, 1992 {4th Edition} ) is pretty good, but there are many. A really extensive, 6 page bibliography can be found at the end of the heavily footnoted "Redneck Manifesto" (Goad, Simon and Schuster, 1998), which was partially inspired by life here in N and NE Portland, Oregon.

Don't ever put words in my mouth...I am no white supremacist, not your enemy, nor am I an apologist for the dominant power structure, nor am I an SUV driving moneyed yuppie shitbag. To be fair, I am also no apologist for a lot of the really stupid behavior I have seen all around me all my life, by many of my own people, even. The knife cuts both ways.

Don't ever assume that people cannot back up their assertions with plennnnty of documentation, or their words with their fists. Really.

Dot in the house 10.May.2004 10:15

Dit

You really have not convinced me as to if you have ever set a steel toe on the corner of 15th and Killingsworth.

If you are indeed a resident of the area, why all the anger? Do you interact with your neighborhood, or is the "Redneck Manifesto" blocking your heart?
Does it bother you that when you walk down the street or go to a store that you are surrounded by Black people? Are you feeling claustrophobic in your house?

Why after Nori Ga-Ach-Li posts "A prayer for the warriors of North Portland" do you post such negative bullshit? Why go into your spiel after a wonderful post of celebration?

"......quit insulting me and trying to pick a fight."
What exactly is this statement by you? : "2) Practice birth control. It's very, very simple." This is not an insult? If you aren't a racist than at the very least you don't have a clue.

If you are to be believed, (and it's a stretch, what with all the neo-con trolls on this site lately) and live in the neighborhood, why aren't you more concerned with murdering cops than white slavery? It's your neighborhood.

Do you lump all the "coloreds" together? Is a mother with a child in the line at the store as threatening to you as the gansta'?

If you live around here, I'll be seeing you around, I would suggest not wearing the white hood when you go out, literally or figuratively.

clarification 10.May.2004 14:36

I suppose I don't really need to convince you of where I live. I just live here and that is enough. What bothers me and angers me is not different colors of people and cultures, at all...you miss my point entirely. What bothers me is this attitude of piousness and holier-than-thou self righteousness among so many people...so much that their behavior is beyond any and all criticism, it seems. I slam an identical set of self destructive, idiotic behaviors by the poor white trash down in Felony Flats and St. Johns all the time...would this make me a bigot of I wasn't white trash myself ? This gets ridiculous after a while...and if you listened to my coment, you would see that it was pointedly non-race specific. Really, race shouldn't even figure into it, in the long run, and our social class caste system and it's effects SHOULD. That is the main point of the "Manifesto." You ought to read it sometime with an open mind and heart, yourself. As well as the rest of the books on the list, and others...

Yeah, you'll see me around...we've probably even spoken in line at the store or something. Don't worry, there is no KKK hood at home, really. I don't know how to convince you of that, as it seems you have a really deep seated dislike of whites who dare utter a bit of criticism of anyone, so you will have to take my word for it. Hell, we might even manage to get along just fine.

Emmitt Till was murdered 50 years ago today 10.May.2004 19:27

Dit

No, Officer Dot you haven't convinced me. If you lived in the neighborhood you would understand what Nori Ga-Ach-Li was writing about.
You wouldn't need to comment on this with YOUR "attitude of piousness and holier-than-thou self righteousness".

You want to be taken seriously yet in your opening comment you say:
"All of the white trash and most of the natives drink their lives away on bar stools, as they have for several generations. Head on up to Safeway, and watch one 19 year old mother of three bastard children by as many fathers after another pay for her food with other people's money."
So, ALL white trash and MOST Native(Americans?)drink their lives away? Just a bit of a generalization don't cha think?
How do you know the 19 year old has bastard children? How do you know anything about these people? You gross generalizations in just this paragraph makes any other comments by you suspect for an ounce of validity. It's like you just finished watching a 2 hour segment of "Cops" on Fox.

What does come through is your hated of people that aren't in your realm of all encompassing knowiness. Your condescending nature ain't gonna convince anyone about any point you are trying to make.

"we might even manage to get along just fine."
I DON'T THINK SO OFFICER DOT......................

" It'd be interesting to see how tough you talk with a mouth full of broken teeth, bitch, after I curb job your vegan mouth with my steel toed boots or disembowel your stomach onto the ground. You get the first swing...the rest are mine."
HOW IS JASON SERY HOLDING UP ANYWAY?

. 11.May.2004 02:57

bye, bye, pendejo.

I wouldn't know, mister. Actually, I sincerely hope he is wracked with guilt and remorse to the point of suicide after contemplating his loathsome behavior in the Perez case, if you are really curious about my opinion on that topic. It's obvious that your emotions, prejudices, and pre-conceptions have blinded you to any point I had tried to make. As if my opinions have any validity in your eyes whatsoeve...due to the color of my skin. Oh, well. Now you are actually convinced that I am an "officer." Good night, kid, for good. This is why I haven't frequented this or any other Indymedia in years on a regular basis. Pointless and futile...filled with personal attacks from brainwashed cowards hiding behind a modem. Hey, it's obvious that you are at least functionally literate...in this respect you show that you are superior to most people...use that to seriously examine your own factory molded value system and set of beliefs some day, and it will set you far, far ahead of the pack. Bye.

10-4 12.May.2004 08:18

Dit

You made this about race with your opening comment, pismire.

Don't let the squad car door hit you on the kemosabe on the way out.