Hawthorne is a great neighborhood. Hawthorne is a terrible street. I understand why the sidewalk gets used for bikes, the street is terrifying. That's no excuse for bad manners. Bikes on the sidewalk should be walked or riden no faster than a walk and with plenty of bell ringing. |
Get involved with the future plans. Don't be too skeptical of getting involved with city planning. It works, sometimes its hard, but you can make a difference, as in the reservoirs are still on Mt Tabor.
Hawthorne, the street, needs some majorverhauling.
[ COMMENT ]
- It's too narrow for 4 lanes of cars. Reduce to 2 car lanes, and 2 GOOD bike lanes.
- Sidewalks too narrow. Use some of the freed up space to widen sidewalks.
- Sidewalks too ugly. Plant more trees. Place some benches.
- Too damn smelly and noisy from traffic. Whatever happened to electric steetcars?
- Parallel parking is dangerous and annoying. Use some of the freed up space to create BACK-IN angle parking. It is easier than parallel and MUCH safer when re-entering traffic.
RELATED ARTICLE: [ Cyclists: Show some freakin' courtesy! ]