newswire article reporting united states

government selection 2004

Ralph Nader Announces Run for Presidency

It's true
WASHINGTON (AP) - Consumer advocate Ralph Nader announced Sunday he will run again for the presidency, declaring that Washington has become "corporate occupied territory" and arguing there is too little difference between the Democratic and Republican parties.

Nader, who will turn 70 this week, said he contemplated retirement but decided against that. "I've decided to run as an independent candidate for president," he announced on NBC's "Meet The Press."

"This country has more problems and injustices than it deserves," Nader said, bemoaning a "democracy gap." He said he needed to get into the race to "challenge this two-party duopoly."

"There's too much power and wealth in too few hands," he said . "They have taken over Washington."

"Washington is now corporate occupied territory," Nader said. "There is now a for-sale sign on most agencies and departments. ... Money is flowing in like never before. It means that corporations are saying no to the necessities of the American people. ... Basically, it's question of both parties flunking."

Asked if he would withdraw if he concluded his candidacy would merely ensure President Bush's re-election, Nader told interviewer Tim Russert, "When and if that eventuality occurs, you can invite me back on the program and I'll give you the answer."

Nader decided against running under the banner of the Green Party. His candidacy four years ago has been blamed by many Democrats for costing Al Gore the election against George W. Bush.

Last week, Democratic National Committee chairman Terry McAuliffe revealed that he had met with Nader several times urging him not to run.

Asked if he was getting into the race to be a spoiler, Nader replied: "A spoiler is a contemptuous term, as if anyody who dares to challenge the two party system .. is a spoiler, and we've got to fight that. You can't do that from the outside, ... You've got to fight that from the inside as well."

"Let me say, this is going to be difficult," said Nader, who planned a round of interviews after his announcement. "This isn't just our fight. This is a fight for all third parties ... They want to have a chance to compete. This is not a democracy that can be controlled by two parties in the grip of corporate interests."

Third party candidacies have been a greater part of presidential politics in recent years; businessman Ross Perot twice ran for president, winning 19 percent of the vote in his first try in 1988 against George Herbert Walker Bush and Michael Dukakis.

"It's his personal vanity because he has no movement. Nobody's backing him," New Mexico Democratic Gov. Bill Richardson said Sunday in advance of Nader's announcement.

"The Greens aren't backing him. His friends urge him not to do it. It's all about himself," Richardson told "Fox News Sunday."

"Now, Ralph's made some great contributions to consumer issues over the years, but clearly it's not going to help us," he said. "I don't think he'll have a sizable impact, but it's terrible if he goes ahead because it's about him. It's about his ego. It's about his vanity and not about a movement that supposedly he headed for many years very effectively."

As the Green Party's nominee in 2000, Nader appeared on the ballot in 43 states and Washington, D.C., garnering only 2.7 percent of the vote. But in Florida and New Hampshire, Bush won such narrow victories that had Gore received the bulk of Nader's votes in those states, he would have won the general election

www.votenader.org 22.Feb.2004 07:19

Lars the InFidel

I love it!

Ralph Nader is the most most progressive candidate in 2004, bar none. Check out his Web site for all the answers to your questions.

I loved this quote today: "It is offensive to deny the millions of people who want to vote for our candidacy."

That's right, folks, OUR candidacy.

Getting Real 22.Feb.2004 08:08

Mamabahama

If Nader is not demanding answers regarding the REAL story on 9-11, I am not going to vote for him. I want to know why NORAD jets did not respond that day. I want to know why Bush hid in a FL classroom even after he was informed about the jet crashing into WTC 1. I want to know about suspicious stock trades which connected to FBI and CIA insiders. I want to know why FEMA was sent to NY on 9/10. I want to know why the decision was made to ship the steel to India and China before a forensic examination was completed. I want to know about seismic shocks and explosions which happened before the collapse of the WTC bldgs. I want to know what exactly the neocons, the FBI, and the CIA knew, and when they knew it. If Nader is not speaking about this stuff, then in my book, he is suspect, and I won't vote for him. Cynthia McKinney spoke about it, and she is a Democrat. I will write in her name on my ballot unless Nader starts asking the tough questions about this treason. Do I sound like a disinformationalist troll now?

Here's the website for 22.Feb.2004 08:45

&

Nader's weekly articles:  http://www.nader.org/public_interest.html Lots of trivial stuff here. And for those of us who include animals in our circle of justice, Ralph is woefully uninformed, as he writes about farming practices and animal disease, with not a thought to what we're doing to the animals at all, but only how humans can use them.

Bought off by Bush 22.Feb.2004 08:50

21 Grams

Ralph is putting off retirement? I guess he'll have to wait an extra 8 months. How many millions do you think he got from the Republican Illuminati for that decision? We'll find out in December when he announces his next book deal.

Mamabahama is exactly right. Noam Chomsky or Ramsey Clark, he ain't. Corporate control of Washington? Yeah, what else is new. But where is Ralphy Boy on 9/11, Bush's National Guard Service, WMD, etc.? He talks of sweat shop labor and exploitation in Latin America, but never mentions CIA destabilization operations that have been a key aspect preventing any organization on their part.

And the Greens... "Nobody could have known Bush would be this bad...?" Yeah right! Real activism means realistic, not just idealistic. The lies of George W Bush? I saw right through every damn one of them.

Please source this 22.Feb.2004 09:22

Ted Thompson

"I want to know about suspicious stock trades which connected to FBI and CIA insiders."

I have heard people mention this, but I've never seen any sources. Please provide details.

Thanks!

An answer to "Getting Real" 22.Feb.2004 09:32

Mike stepbystpefarm <a> mtdata.com

Nobody wants to hear the real story. But the "conspiracy of silence" isn't about what you think it is. It's about "the limits of power" and the difference between strategic and tactical victories. Tbe reality is that the FIRST attack of this kind could not be prevented without handing "the enemy" a strategic victory.

This is unlikely to be discussed openly in the near future. It is over 60 years since Pearl Harbor and STILL nobody is talking about this in realistic terms. It is LESS damaging to imagine the decision not to attempt to prevent the attack as a plot for how to get the US into the war than to face the reality that the US did NOT have sufficient superiority to risk attempting to prevent Pearl Harbor.

That surprises you? It is a maxim of war "never risk your entire fortunes with only a portion of your forces committed". For the US to have sortied the fleet, risked the outcome of the war with Japan in one gigantic battle with just the forces available for deployment in Dec 1941 would have violated this maxim. It would have risked LOSING the war. The biggest weapon in the US arsenal (in 1941) was industrial might, the ability to make good almost any amount of losses of material and guaranteeing that in a long "war of attrition" the US was certain to win. In other words, US power wasn't "what forces could be deployed in Dec 1941" but what total could be deployed wiothin six months to a year while Japan would have to go through the entire war with no more than she started with. BTW -- in case you did not realize this, the Pearl Harbor attack was fully described as an analysis exercise in a naval theory book published in 1939 -- it was described as Japan's only conceivable chance and that the US could not really risk trying to prevent the attack (the analysis even went down into details like recommending that the heavily armored but obsolete "Nevadas" be the ships left there).

What does this have to do with 9/11? Stop thinking tactics and consider stratgey. WHAT DO THE ATTACKERS WANT? (what is VICTORY for them?). No, it's NOT the tactical success fo knocking down a few large buildings. Suppose NORAD had intercepted and shot down the planes? Suppose US airport security had been beefed up prior so instead of those being US airliners for NORAD to shoot down they would be Canadian, British, or French. WHO WINS? Why the attackers, of course. They would have lost the battle but won the war. Because what THEY want is the US out of meddling with affairs in their part of the world. And I assure you -- had the airliners been shot down BEFORE ever, anywhere in the world, airliners had been used as missiles -- the US would have taken no interest in international affairs for at least 5 years. You don't think so? You don't think a society which can be distracted from world affairs by who the president is screwing wouldn't spend the next five years arguing back and forth over the need to shoot down hijacked civilian airliners? (remember -- BEFORE any such use as missiles). It may be legitimate to ask "why weren't airliner #2, #3, and #4 intercepted (and maybe #4 was) but NOT to ask "why wasn't #1 shot down" << because it would have served no useful purpose to do so -- would have caused MORE damage (of a different sort) >>

Sweet... 22.Feb.2004 09:42

Green Greenie

...a candidate besides the elite's handpicked warmongers.

Reply to Mike and Ted 22.Feb.2004 10:07

Mamabahama

Mike, I want the US to stop meddling in other countries affairs. In my opinion, the real attackers in the case of 9-11 were not Arab, but the CIA, Mossad, and covert groups within our own government. I think Bush and the Neocons not only knew about this, but helped facilitate it. Why do you think they are stonewalling the investigation? And, here's the really sick part - If the neocons actually do get investigated, and someone's head does roll, the shadow government perps at the NSA et al will remain intact. As a matter of fact, they will remain intact whether Nader, Kerry, Bush, or Donald Duck get elected. I am very skeptical about anyone who wants to become president these days. The fact that Kerry and Bush are both Bonesmen has me even more cynical. I distrust the outcome of the Democratic primary so far. I think it is rigged. I think the whole government if rife with corruption, and probably needs to be scrapped at this point. I think the Constitution is the only thing worth salvaging at this point. I think the people would be better served by non-career politicians - folks who have a day job, serve a term, then go back home. I'm tired of these rich fucks and their cronies, helping themselves to the public trough. I think 9-11 is a watershed event in our lives, and the mechanisms behind it need to be exposed. For you Ted, I would suggest reading www.copvcia.com - this it Mike Ruppert's website, also www.whatreallyhappened.com, and www.questionsquestions.org - Tom Flocco's article is the main one which concerns suspcious stock trades prior to 9-11. Do a Google search on 9-11 and put options. I am an old fogey who hasn't mastered the art of links to articles yet, but you can look these up yourself. Incidently, fuck completely the mainstream media and what they focus on. Who cares? They are bought and paid for by the propaganda machine. Do I care about stains on a dress? No - do I care that protocol for protecting the airspace of our nation was not followed on 9-11, yes indeed! And again, these are the kinds of questions that Ralphy boy has gotta ask if he wants MY vote. Can you grock that? I knew that you could!

Nader candidacy can be good 22.Feb.2004 10:33

Spudnuts

If Nader's candidacy involves eight solid months of intense pressure on Bush then I am 100% for it.

If Nader's candidacy involves eight solid months of doing Karl Rove's work on Kerry, then I am 100% against it.

We shall see if Nader keeps his promise to defeat the "supremely selected" president or if this is just another vendetta run against the Dems.

Run! Forest, Run! 22.Feb.2004 10:50

The RNC

Dear Ralphie,

The Greens won't back you but we sure will!

With love, hugs and KKKisses,

The Republican National Committee

PS
Where should we send the contributions this time?

Karl Rove vs. Nader 22.Feb.2004 10:57

orthosnot

Spudnuts,

So far, the election debates have centered around Kerry's military record vs. Bush's. Rove will attact Kerry for supporting the war on Iraq and then backing away, for supporting the Patriot Act and then backing away, for supporting NAFTA...tax cuts for the rich and then backing away. Much more unites Kerry and Bush than divides them.
I'm voting Nader because I want to argue for National Health Care (Kerry is for the status quo), for reform of what Nader calls the "criminal injustice system," and for attacking the corportization of our political system. Whose record is better? Kerry's? He is a total tool of the corporate lobbyists and rich. Splitting hairs to rationalize a vote for him is an exercise in futility.
Vote for something you want and fight Bush's unopposed attack on our country and the rest of the world.

smash the Federal Election Comittee 22.Feb.2004 11:18

john turnow

Nader is trying to get into the televised presidential debates. He's been involved in litigation against the FEC since 2000. If he can get into the debates, I think it would be a great victory.  http://www.commondreams.org/news2004/0211-10.htm

ahgeez 22.Feb.2004 11:52

sonking

I mean come on! I am trying really hard to believe that there is actually a reason to vote this year. All I want is someone that I can relate to, in ANY way. In 2000 I put in my vote for Nader, but then I heard about him collecting funds from the Republican party for his campaign commercials. Eww! For fuck sake man! Can I really blame the 40-50% of the people who don't vote in this country? Can I really say that these people NEED to vote? Does it make any difference who the asshole pushing the buttons is? Anyone but Bush...I know, but does Nader really need to do this? I hate to say that I agree with mainstream press, but Nader has lowered himself to the level of all the other whitebread grandstaders who didn't get enough attention as a boy. I can't vote for this guy. I feel that he is dishonest, and has become the lesser of three evils.

Pearl Harbor and 9-11, WWII history and contemporary profiteering 22.Feb.2004 11:55

Nopey Duke

In "An answer to 'Getting Real'", Mike mixes apples and oranges in his argument that the "real story" about 9-11 is that a NORAD response to the hijacked airliner attack on the WTC was deliberately ruled out by the U.S. for strategic reasons, just as (Mike alleges) any response to the attack on Pearl Harbor was ruled out by the U.S. before that attack occurred.

It may well be that a NORAD response was ruled out for the 9-11 attacks, but not for any valid strategic reasons. In the first place, there is no application (for 9-11 or Pearl Harbor) of a Clausewitzian principle that you "never risk your entire fortunes with only a portion of your forces committed." Mike implies that an effective defensive response to the Pearl Harbor attack would have brought on some grand battle with the Japanese for which the U.S. was unprepared: but, what battle would that have been, unless it was the fall of the Phillipines, which happened anyway? The U.S. was protected by the oceans so that there was no risk of losing the war by hastening major engagement with the Japanese Empire -- that is just Mike's nonsense. As for 9-11, Mike's argument is that "THEY" (presumably Al Qaeda, but never accurately or fully identified by Mike or anyone else) had a strategic objective of keeping the U.S. out of "meddling with affairs in their part of the world" -- however, the real story has to be that "THEIR" objective was exactly the opposite, namely, to get the U.S. involved on the ground in the Israel/Palestine conflict, thus destabilizing the Saudi government. (In that scenario, the Iraq War has been a success since the U.S. has moved its forces formerly in Saudi Arabia into Iraq -- except that the effect may have been only to move the locale of the problem without solving it and possibly exacerbating it.)

Mike omits any analysis of the Building 7 question or any of the other questions as to physical evidence, as well as the question of shorting of American Airlines stock. More importantly, Mike omits any analysis that the 9-11 attack was some combination (a) of a generally non-strategic (anarchistic and/or wholly psychological and emotional) desire to strike at three symbolic targets, respectively, of the global corporate hegemony, the U.S. government and the Pentagon, and, (b) of U.S. secret government, (for its own strategic reasons), involvement in planning and preparing, if not perpetrating, the 9-11 attack. (That is, did the secret government MADE-IT-HAPPEN, not just LET-IT-HAPPEN?) However, accepting Mike's premise that there is, objectively, some "THEY" out there (in a strategic sense rather than simply as a psycho-pathological symptom of mass shizophrenic paranoia), then we have to try to dope out from Mike's statement what "their part of the world" is. We can only suppose that the reference is to the part of the world that is bounded on the east by India (or beyond to include Maylasia and Indonesia), on the north by the post-Soviet "stans", on the south by the Indian Ocean and on the west? -- well, that could be Africa or it could be the Atlantic Ocean. Really, it is impossible to come to any conclusion from Mike's analysis other than that Mike urges us to believe that the strategic interests of the U.S. are now threatened by an assembly of governments and peoples throughout the Islamic world. In 1941, WWII had already begun with the enemy clearly identified as the Nazi or "axis" group (with Japan brought in only by Pearl Harbor) and with the U.S. "side" equally clearly identified; whereas, in 2001-2004, it is unclear that the U.S. has any allies and, equally unclear, that the U.S. has any idea as to who the "enemy" actually is. We are told that the enemy is "terrorism" -- the real story is that the enemy is anyone who stands in the way of increasing the strangle hold of global capital on the Earth. The "ism" tag gives it away: just as "anti-communism" was a disguise for global take-over by international capital, so "anti-terrorism" is a disguise for the next phase -- global entrenchment of that take-over by wiping out pockets of resistance.

As for Pearl Harbor, it is inaccurate to say that any response was ruled out in advance: history shows that a U.S. recon flight came very close to eye-balling the Japanese fleet (and was probably detected by the Japanese, who continued anyway) -- which would have resulted in a partial sortie from the harbor (thus minimizing naval losses while leaving the decoys that are indicated by the 1939 naval theory mentioned by Mike) and in putting U.S. naval air resources into the air instead of leaving them on the ground (thus minimizing those losses AND inflicting losses on the Japanese). How would that have been a victory (strategic or otherwise) for the Japanese? Mike's theory assumes that the Japanese would have perceived the U.S. preparations and turned their fleet around, thus delaying the beginning of the U.S. entry into WWII -- but the U.S. had the Japanese code, not the other way around ! Mike also neglects to mention that Washington had, in fact, signalled a code red alert to Pearl, thus the scout flights had been sent out. While it is true that there had been several such alerts sent out before, that was necessary to disguise the alert of December 6, 1941, so as to protect the highly secret fact that the U.S. had broken the Japanese diplomatic code. (Furthermore, there was no way for Washington to know that the signal they had broken was anything other than a test by the Japanese to see if their code had been broken.) The real story is that the command at Pearl Harbor could have taken the alert of December 6 more seriously and done more; however, for propaganda as well as for security reasons, that story was covered up. Roosevelt's supposed setting up of Pearl Harbor in order to bring on the war is just plain bushwa -- the kind of thing that gives conspiracy theory a bad name.

As for the "Getting Real" post, that is, voting or not voting based on whether Nader emphasizes the 9-11 investigation, or not . . . well, there are many reasons why people vote or do not vote the way they do. I guess it's all about the public's feeling of powerlessness, which is certainly justified. On the other hand, it costs nothing to vote -- whereas not voting will and probably has cost, for example, the results of the defeat of Measure 30.

Nader is a loser 22.Feb.2004 12:16

matthew

He didn't even mention Dennis Kucinich. What the DNC...and the mainstream media...and fellow democrats have done to DK during this election process is proof of everything Nader speaks of, the corporate takeover of washington and the media. And then Nader doesn't even mention this! He has become part of the problem, not the solution.

Nader could have campaigned for Dennis 22.Feb.2004 12:29

But no

I've read that he "endorses" Dennis, but there was no sight of him during the campaign so far. Now he is doing interviews... he is very visible for himself... so is it for the issues or for...

Himself?

Whatever.

Nader = time waster 22.Feb.2004 12:41

Nader 2000 voter

I voted for Nader in 2000, without regrets (was in a solidly Repug district anyway, so it made no difference if I voted my principles). However, I wouldn't do it again, not because I give a rat's ass whether we suffer under Kerry's warmed-over "progressive" imperialism vs GW's hyper aggressive imperialism, but because Nader has wasted all the energies he unleashed with his 2000 campaign.

Once again, he wasted and dissipated the energies of a lot of earnest, motivated activists, just as he did in his earlier electoral campaign. He should have done what many urged on him: passionately denounced the rigged 2000 election immediately after it happened, and announced that if Gore, the real winner, wasn't going to do anything to defend the rights of the people, he would. He should have announced the formation of a shadow government, and recruited a slate of top notch progressive voices for a shadow cabinet. Then, he could have led the way and dragged the Democraps kicking and screaming along, countering each new atrocity by the junta with his own policy statements and initiatives. This would have put a lot of pressure on the Dems not to cave in so easily.

But Nader has been largely silent about the disgusting betrayal of the 2000 election. He has been content to allow all the energies he unleashed in 2000 to dissipate themselves to no effect whatsoever. At this point, based on his performance, there's no indication that this was ever anything but a personal ego trip for him. Either that, or he's simply manifestly unqualified as a political strategist in electoral politics. Either way, I'd truly be wasting my vote if I voted Nader this time. I'd sooner vote for what's-his-name, McReynolds, or whatever.

Go Nader 22.Feb.2004 13:11

swirly

It's funny how if the election turned out like it did 4 years ago. It would not be Naders fault. Most people in this country don't even vote.

If Bush gets re-elected it would be awful, but, since most people don't vote, they must not care. So, what to do? Organize..but vote for who? Nader has done this country a lot of good and it's important for him or any other third party to run. He knows he won't win. He is doing it to further democracy. The democrats are wolfs in sheeps clothing.

Let us not forget Jimmy Carters foreign policy. It was much worse than reagan, Bush 1 or monkey boy in Iraq.

Nader is right.

And let us not forget Welfare Reform.

Nader is right.

Let us not forget NAFTA.

Nader is right.

So, now what?

9-11 Put Options 22.Feb.2004 13:30

jamie

hey ted,
as you probably have read by now, the tom flocco investigation into 9-11 airline stock options doesn't offer any detail. it just talks about how people in the know made huge sums of money. but all you have to do is look at the historical and average volume figures for the days mentioned (9/10 for AMR and 9/6 for UAL) at any financial website and you'll see the following:

On Sept. 10, 2001, put options on AMR were 17 times their average volume of 269 contracts. If the conspirators purchased ALL of the contracts (right to buy/sell 100 shares) that were above the average and timed it perfectly to maximize their profit,

$10 profit * 100 shares per contract * 4304 contracts = $430,000

On Sept. 6, 2001, UAL put options were traded at more than four times their average volume of 711 contracts. If the conspirators purchased ALL of the contracts that were above the average and timed it perfectly to maximize their profit,

$15 profit * 100 shares per contract * 2133 contracts = $320,000

Total maximum profit = $750,000

since when is $750,000 considered huge sums of money? either flocco et al haven't done their homework or they are trying to sensationalize a non-sensational event

Personal attacks 22.Feb.2004 13:47

George Bender

I notice that Democrats attack Nader on a personal level instead of dealing with his arguments. Because they can't?

Don't follow anyone who can't think.

short-selling 22.Feb.2004 14:52

quicksearch found these two

Did terrorists short airline stocks?

CBOE probes reports of unusual trading before attacks

Nader Betrays his values by running 22.Feb.2004 15:05

Clark

If Nader really wants to make a differance way doesn't he run in the Democratic Primary? If he did he would cause the Democratic party to open up and shift to the left like Dean helped do. Is he scared that he wont get enough attention that way? All Nader is doing this for is a big ego trip. He doesnt really care about all the things he says because if he really did he would further his intrests by not running, helping get the worst president ever out of office, and setting a good example of personal sacrifice for a common good.

Clark is right 22.Feb.2004 15:21

Lewis

I'm with ya there Clark!

Vote Kucinich over Nader 22.Feb.2004 15:25

Clark www.kucinich.us

Dennis Kucinich stands for everything Nader stands for except that Kucinich is not a self-centered egomanic. Kucinich deserves our support. He is out there for others while Nader is out there for himself. Do something good with your vote and show the Democratic Party you want change and are tired of their spineless stances. Vote for Kucinich.

9-11 Options 22.Feb.2004 15:54

Ted Thompson

Thank you jamie and quicksearch.

jamie, I hadn't seen those figures before.
quicksearch, the two articles you cite are from the week following 9/11. I found a final article referring to the end of the investigation.

(also from the Sun Times, but the link is no longer working)

----------

September 19, 2003

suntimes.com

BY DAVID ROEDER Business Reporter Advertisement

Somewhere out there are hedge funds or individual investors who profited from the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. But they had no foreknowledge of the catastrophes, an FBI spokesman said Thursday.

Spokesman Ed Cogswell said the FBI has closed its investigation of stock and option trading that took place days before the attacks. He said the investigation turned up "absolutely no evidence'' of anyone with inside knowledge of what would happen.

After the attacks, in which terrorists commandeered planes owned by the two biggest airlines, United and American, traders in the Chicago options market noticed suspicious pre-Sept. 11 spikes in volume. Put options for stocks in the airlines' parent companies, UAL Corp. and AMR Corp., registered huge trading increases in the week before the attacks.

Investors can use puts, which confer the right to sell a stock at a pre-determined price, to make money when the underlying share price falls, similar to shorting a stock. The terrorist attacks and their effect on the travel industry caused shares of UAL and AMR to fall dramatically when the markets reopened Sept. 17.

Cogswell said most of the options trading was carried out by hedge funds with bearish outlooks. He did not name any of the funds, which pursue risky investment strategies on behalf of wealthy clients.

Market regulators in other countries opened similar investigations after the attacks, but Cogswell said he believes all have been concluded with no evidence that allies of Osama bin Laden were involved.

He said the FBI interviewed trading professionals and other witnesses, sharing its findings with the Justice Department and Securities and Exchange Commission.

On Sept. 10, 2001, put options on AMR were 17 times their average volume of 269 contracts. On Sept. 6, 2001, UAL put options were traded at more than four times their average volume of 711 contracts.

At the same time, some experts cautioned that because of the light volume in most option contracts, an increase can seem eye-popping.

London regulators thought they had something in the short-selling of big airline stocks before Sept. 11, but traced the activity to one of their small competitors.

Original at  http://www.suntimes.com/output/terror/cst-fin-fbi19.html

'long list' 22.Feb.2004 16:12

quicksearch

The 'long list' of stories concerning
insider trading before September 11th

Previously I posted a story about the investigation into Insider trading and unclaimed profits before September 11th. (The fact that the profits remained unclaimed is the most suspicious part of the story, although the large number of short selling bets on the affected companies also spurred an investigation.)

A writer going by the moniker 'Web slave' posted a long list of stories related to the trading investigation which I mirror here...

The following is an article from Security Industry Online. However, you have to haggle with getting that 2 week free membership so much, that I gave up trying to procure article. You can get it free of Lexis-nexis news, as well as all other articles mentions. This is a costly bit of software but university libraries will generally have it.
I only got as far as finding where the article was in the archive and am listing it here:
"Anti-money-Laundering Vendors Focus on Brokerages"
By Shane Kite

"Treasury Investigating Bond Trading; Securities: Consultant gave clients details before official announcement that 30-year sales will be eliminated."
[Home Edition] SIMON KENNEDY; The Los Angeles Times; Nov 3, 2001; Record edition; pg. C.3
Abstract:
The Treasury leaked its own announcement by inadvertently posting a statement on its Web site around 9:50 a.m. The department's Office of Public Affairs issued a statement Wednesday evening confirming what it called an "inadvertent" leak. "Treasury regrets this occurred and will work to ensure the integrity of the announcement process," the statement said.

[Pete Davis], a former congressional aide who attends ...
Abstract:

[Pete Davis], a former congressional aide who attends ...

This sounds like a very interesting Article. However, the LA Times are being money groveling scumfucks in demanding you pay to view the story.
Here's the Url for their archive. Type 'title' to find the article (or copy and paste it better, yet).
"`Insider trading' by terrorists is suspected in Europe"
BRUSSELS -- The president of Germany's central bank said Saturday there was mounting evidence that people connected to the attacks in New York and Washington sought to profit from the tragedy by engaging in ``terrorism insider trading'' on European stock and commodity markets.
In an article by Mike Ruppert, it was mentioned that Buzz Krongard, CIA Executive Director is tied to Dd Deutsch Bank which has ties to former counsel to CIA director George Tenet. Here's one quote from the article: "... The source familiar with the United trades identified Deutsche Bank Alex. Brown, the American investment banking arm of German giant Deutsche Bank, as the investment bank used to purchase at least some of these options... " This was the operation managed by Krongard until as recently as 1998.
As reported in other news stories, Deutsche Bank was also the hub of insider trading activity connected to Munich Re. just before the attacks."
Read more on the connection to insider trading with the CIA at:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Due to being sick of being obligated to pay $ to check out sites, I am going to re-post the content of one, since it is telling.**

Trading Probe More Bad News for Cruise Lines page A1
Miami Daily Business Review (also known as South Florida Business Review)
By Anika Myers

"Cruise Lines Carnival Corp. (NYSE: CCL) and Royal Caribbean Cruise lines (NYSE: RCL) received some unwanted publicity last week after the US Securities and Exchange Commission Announced an Investigation of suspicious trading in 2 Miami based companies.
The regulators are seeking any connection between terrorist groups and short selling of the cruise lines' shares, along with the shares of 36 other companies, immediately before and after the terrorist attacks.
The SEC hasn't contacted representatives of either cruise line about the progress of the investigation, according to representatives from both cruise lines. Both lines declined to comment on the investigation.
The probe follows a spate of bad news for both firms. Since s11, Royal Caribbean and Carnival have announced price discounts to spur reservations. Fluctuating stock prices and investment firms' bearish-ness about their debt ratings has battered both firms.
RCL last week announced imminent layoffs of up to 100 local employees and that it may delay the construction of new ships.
For it's part, the SEC—which declined to comment on investigation—on O3 actually announced plans to ease restrictions on shorting well-known stocks.
The cruise lines hope to assuage potential customers fears about safety by heightening internal security.
Mike Crye, the president of the International Council of Cruise Lines, in testimony before the US Senate, explained that passenger baggage and cargo are now screened closely and that cruise ships are working w/ the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service to insure no fugitives board.
ICCL spokesman Molly Mc Pherson declined to comment on any external or protective measures that cruise ships might take.
Before the attacks, on Sept. 10, CNL shares were trading at $28.52. When trading resumed on Sept. 17, the shares fell to $19.43. At midday, Tues., they traded at $21.31. They traded at $12.76 on Sept. 17. At midday Tues. they traded at about $10, about the same as Monday's closing price."
"Suspicious profits sit uncollected
Airline investors seem to be lying low"
"SEC wants data-sharing system
Network of brokerages would help trace trades by terrorists"

"Treasury Probing Bond Trades"-- 11/5/01
By SIMON KENNEDY and JUDY MATHEWSON, BLOOMBERG NEWS
_____________________________________________________________________________

U.S. Inquiry Into Trading of Long Bond
______________________________________________________________________________
" SEC investigates pre-attack trading in shares of 38 companies, asks brokerages to review records."
The problem with this article is that Associated Press charges people to read the articles. Scroll down to see it. I can't list it's exact location cuz AP is charging $2.50 to see the fucking article. From what I saw at it using Lexis-Nexis, it lists more of the companies listed in the SEC's list of companies being investigated for short selling prior to s11. It says that General Motors, Raytheon, Morgan Stanley (resident of WTC), Lehman Brothers, Bank of America, the financial firm Marsh & McLennan. It mentions the SEC's was posted the Monday preceding October 3 at the Web site for the Investment Dealers Association of Canada. Other companies on the list are the parent companies of major Airlines American, Continental, Delta, Northwest, Southwest United and USAirways as well as cruise lines Carnival and Royal Carribean, aircraft maker Boeing and defense contractor Lockheed Martin. The article also sez that several insurance companies are listed. These are: "American International Group, AXA, Chubb, Cigna, CNA financial, John Hancock and MetLife."
The article also sez, "Germany's stock market regulator has said it was looking into the possibility of suspicious short selling of insurance company shares- including AXA, a big French company whose shares also are traded in the US- just before the terrorist attacks. As with put- options, investors who engage in short selling are betting the price of the stock will fall. The list of the 38 companies also include American Express; Bank of New York; Bank One; Bear Stearns; Citigroup; Hercules; L-3 Communications Holdings; LTV Corp; Lone Star Technologies; Progressive Corp; Royal Sun & Alliance; XL Capital; and W.R. Grace."
Hey, doesn't that Lone Star Technologies make ya think maybe even Dubya or some of his friends were selling their stock as puts. This being in Tex-ass. Ya gotta follow the locations as well as the money.

A few articles mention the Chicago Board Options Exhange as being the original firm to notice the odd trading which occured prior to s11. The AP article I read in my local paper said that on Sept 10th tons of put-options were sold for AMR and UAL. Also, suspicious trading activity occured heavily on s6 thru s7.

The website for CBOE is: http://www.cboe.com

"Suspiciously Timed Bets Against Airlines Expires Today"
USA Today

Treasury Investigating Bond Trading

"Terrorists trailed at CBOE" http://www.suntimes.com/terror/stories/cst-nws-trade20.html

"Probe of options trading link to attacks confirmed"
____________________________________________________________________________
"CBOE probes reports of unusual trading before attacks" http://www.suntimes.com/terror/stories/18cboe.html
____________________________________________________________________________
"Brokerage Firms Across America look for suspicious trading: German gov't freezes 214 accounts suspected with having ties with the terrorists"
This mentions list of 38 companies being investigated by the SEC. However, the SEC won't talk about it. Source- public radio show: "Market Place."

Here's a link I obtained from this article which mentions a few of the firms:

____________________________________________________________________________
"Terrorists Suspected of Profiteering"
Calgary-Herald. Sunday, Sept. 23, 2001. Good fucking luck finding it online. You have to mail order their archives dating back prior to 14 days ago. If you have Lexis-Nexis (universities do) you can read the article. My sympathies.
Well, hopefully this will give you some places to begin investigating this. With it being clear that Bush told the FBI and crew to lay off Bin Laden and his family (see: article from the Times of India: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow.asp?art_id=1030259305
See this too:

In conclusion
Something is up in the White House. I mean, when ya figure that Bush and Bin Laden were once business partners of sorts (I will have to dig for that article, thank you)and that Bush would suck up to get Saudi Oil, you begin to wonder. Then, when Market Place, the public radio stock market reporting show which airs on my local station at six, is ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT OIL MOTIVATING THIS WAR, you have to just sit back and shit a twinkie. I AM DEAD SERIOUS. Here is the intro of the article:
"As the President and his advisors plan U.S. operations against terrorism, their first goal is, clearly, to root out Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaeda network. Not far from their minds, though, must be America's long-term oil interests in the region. How concerns about oil may impact how this war is fought and may explain why it started in the first place. This month on Marketplace and the Marketplace Morning Report, we'll take a look at the war against terrorism and how it relates to the politics and economics of oil." http://www.marketplace.org

Here are some additional articles I lifted of this Indymedia post, (http://www.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=86153 ) which are also about the insider trading. I figure that this ultra concise listing of articles will cut some slack for those new to indymedia, confused by the undercover cops who write in or who just simply have a memory like a sieve!! I also, recommend reading this article, as the author also is attempting to archive other aspects of s11 which don't add up in the media's accounts.

The Chicago Board Options Exchange, the world's biggest options market, has joined a widening probe of whether terrorists may have profited from bearish trades in airline, insurance and brokerage stocks before the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
- Los Angeles Times, September 19, 2001

German central bank president Ernst Welteke said a study by his bank strongly points to "terrorism insider trading" not only in shares of heavily affected industries such as airlines and insurance companies, but also in gold and oil.
- Fox News, September 22, 2001

Central banks and supervisory bodies in New York and across Europe are conducting investigations into what one European central banker says are ever-clearer signs of market manipulation.
- CNN, September 24, 2001

Last week, Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Harvey Pitt said the SEC was examining all unusual trading activity of stocks most severely affected by the Sept. 11 attacks. The SEC is investigating whether people associated with the terrorists might have tried to profit from the catastrophe by engaging in risky trading strategies that would have paid big profits when airlines and other stocks plunged.
- USA Today, September 26, 2001

SEC Probes Suspicious Trading There was unusually heavy trading in airline and other affected stocks several days before the attacks, essentially betting on a coming decline in their value.
- Washington Post, October 2, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reported on October 2 that the ongoing investigation by the SEC into suspicious stock trades had been joined by a Secret Service probe into an unusually high volume of five-year US Treasury note purchases prior to the attacks. The Treasury note transactions included... A SINGLE $5 BILLION TRADE.
- The Wall Street Journal, October 2, 2001

"To date, there are no flags or indicators" showing that terrorists used trading strategies known as "short selling" to profit from the attacks, Dennis Lormel, chief of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's financial crimes unit, told a congressional committee on Oct. 3. Some experts now say they doubt that such a scheme took place. What appears to be suspicious activity in some stocks may turn out to have been legitimate trading, they say.
- Los Angeles Times, October 18, 2001

S11 Short Selling Bibliography

" Short Selling tied to last weeks terrorist act "
Asenio & Company:PR Newswire
Sept. 18th, 2001
"Anti-money-Laundering Vendors Focus on Brokerages"
By Shane Kite

Abstract:

[Pete Davis], a former congressional aide who attends ...
Abstract:

[Pete Davis], a former congressional aide who attends ...

"`Insider trading' by terrorists is suspected in Europe"
Read more on the connection to insider trading with the CIA at:

Trading Probe More Bad News for Cruise Lines page A1
Miami Daily Business Review (also known as South Florida Business Review)
By Anika Myers

"Suspicious profits sit uncollected
Airline investors seem to be lying low"
"SEC wants data-sharing system
Network of brokerages would help trace trades by terrorists"

"Treasury Probing Bond Trades"-- 11/5/01
By SIMON KENNEDY and JUDY MATHEWSON, BLOOMBERG NEWS
_____________________________________________________________________________

U.S. Inquiry Into Trading of Long Bond
______________________________________________________________________________

The website for CBOE is: http://www.cboe.com

"Suspiciously Timed Bets Against Airlines Expires Today"
USA Today

Treasury Investigating Bond Trading

"Probe of options trading link to attacks confirmed"
____________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________

Here's a link I obtained from this article which mentions a few of the firms:

____________________________________________________________________________
"Terrorists Suspected of Profiteering"
See this too:

In conclusion

- Los Angeles Times, September 19, 2001

- Fox News, September 22, 2001

- CNN, September 24, 2001

- USA Today, September 26, 2001

- Washington Post, October 2, 2001

- The Wall Street Journal, October 2, 2001

- Los Angeles Times, October 18, 2001

S11 Short Selling Bibliography

" Short Selling tied to last weeks terrorist act "
Asenio & Company:PR Newswire
Sept. 18th, 2001
"Anti-money-Laundering Vendors Focus on Brokerages"
By Shane Kite

Abstract:

[Pete Davis], a former congressional aide who attends ...
Abstract:

[Pete Davis], a former congressional aide who attends ...

"`Insider trading' by terrorists is suspected in Europe"
Read more on the connection to insider trading with the CIA at:

Trading Probe More Bad News for Cruise Lines page A1
Miami Daily Business Review (also known as South Florida Business Review)
By Anika Myers

"Suspicious profits sit uncollected
Airline investors seem to be lying low"
"SEC wants data-sharing system
Network of brokerages would help trace trades by terrorists"

"Treasury Probing Bond Trades"-- 11/5/01
By SIMON KENNEDY and JUDY MATHEWSON, BLOOMBERG NEWS
_____________________________________________________________________________

U.S. Inquiry Into Trading of Long Bond
______________________________________________________________________________

The website for CBOE is: http://www.cboe.com

"Suspiciously Timed Bets Against Airlines Expires Today"
USA Today

Treasury Investigating Bond Trading

"Probe of options trading link to attacks confirmed"
____________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________

Here's a link I obtained from this article which mentions a few of the firms:

____________________________________________________________________________
"Terrorists Suspected of Profiteering"
See this too:

In conclusion

- Los Angeles Times, September 19, 2001

- Fox News, September 22, 2001

- CNN, September 24, 2001

- USA Today, September 26, 2001

- Washington Post, October 2, 2001

- The Wall Street Journal, October 2, 2001

- Los Angeles Times, October 18, 2001

oops, forgot, 22.Feb.2004 16:13

quicksearch

this is where that list was found:

link to www.awitness.org

lots of smoke 22.Feb.2004 16:24

jamie

lots of smoke, no fire.

read the links in the long list above. nearly all from the initial weeks after 9/11 when the media was filling the pipeline with sensational stories. the investigation closed in september 2003. nobody got rich. terrorists weren't involved. as you can see above, all this hoolabaloo for less than $1 million.

Insider Trading 22.Feb.2004 16:27

quicksearch

hmmm 22.Feb.2004 16:38

quicksearch

seems "jamie" didn't do his homework...but is very quick to debunk it as
"all this hoolabaloo for less than $1 million". Quite interesting.

Well, for all else out there this is the direct links to the juicy stuff ;)

PROFITS OF DEATH -- INSIDER TRADING AND 9-11

Part II -- Trading with the Enemy

ALL ROADS LEAD TO DEUSTCHEBANK AND HARKEN ENERGY, W's OWN 1991 INSIDER TRADING SCAM - THE MOTHER OF ALL ENRONS

Hooray for Nader 23.Feb.2004 02:21

a

I'm glad I have someone to vote for now.