Selections from the Works of
President KIM IL SUNG and
Marshal KIM JONG IL
***Special Bonus Section ***
The Following Aphorisms testify to the Great Wisdom of Marshal KIM JONG IL and are a deeply revered present to the Songun Politics Study Group (USA) from the National Democratic Front of South Korea Mission in Pyongyang
1. Revolutionary outlook on leader
- Hoping for victory in a revolution without a leader is just like looking for flowers without the sun.
- No man is illustrious without filial devotion and no man is great without loyalty.
- Loyalty and filial devotion are the supreme qualities of a revolutionary.
- Single-hearted loyalty and filial devotion make the strongest weapon.
- The strongest loyalty and filial devotion produce the greatest happiness.
- A flaw can exist in a diamond, but never in one's loyalty and filial devotion.
- Not money but the heart will win loyalty.
- Disloyalty and undutifulness will bring death.
- Loyalty and filial devotion invigorate the revolution, whereas treasonous designs poison it.
- A loyal man comes to the fore in time of hardship.
- Not in time of peace but in a difficult situation, will loyalty assert itself.
- Both loyalists and traitors are around us.
- A loyal man lives for ever but a traitor lives short.
- The loyal man speaks from his heard while a traitor's heart is on the tip of his tongue.
- A treacherous man has a honeyed tongue but carries a knife in his belly.
- A loyal man and a traitor cannot live under the same roof nor eat from the same pot.
2. Political philosophy
-The Juche idea is my political philosophy. Political philosophy is the compass of leadership.
- Poverty of philosophy breeds poverty of politics.
- Intelligence is what makes a great man a great beacon.
3. Viewpoint and outlook on people
- Man, not money, is-most valuable in the world. The masses are teachers in everything. - Reality is a fine school and the masses are teachers.
- A miracle is not a gift from Heaven; it is something inevitable wrought by the people. - Work is done by people; revolution is carried out by the masses.
- The eyes of the masses are always full of wisdom.
- Talent lies among the masses.
- After all, it is individual trees that make a thick forest
- The man who believes in the people gets to drink the elixir of life, while the man who turns his back on them comes in for poison.
- There should be no mathematical rounding down or rounding up in the political appraisal of people.
4. Role of ideological consciousness
- It is not money or an atomic bomb that moves the world, but a great idea.
- People's thought, not their social origin, is what carries out a revolution.
- Charm lies in one's ideas, not in one's looks.
- A man's height is the height of his thought.
- Noble ideas and aims, noble character.
- The key to the heart of a man is in the heart itself.
- The will of the masses sets the pace.
- It is an honor whether to live or die on the road of revolution.
- Live not merely for today but for tomorrow.
- Nothing is impossible for a man who loves the future.
5. Independence and creativity
- Without independence of mind one can create nothing new.
- A man is strong if he trusts himself, weak if he relies on others.
- Live our own way; fight our own way; create our own way.
- He is a fool that expects favors from others.
- He who relies on himself will prosper; he who relies on others will perish.
- A piece of iron in one's own house is better than a lump of gold in another's.
- Self-knowledge makes one a revolutionary; ignorance of self makes one a slave.
- He who knows himself grows strong, while he who is ignorant of himself becomes weak.
- The only way to measure the value of something new is to use a new yardstick.
- Empty words without creation are like a thunder without rain.
- A product reflects the face of the producer.
- Do not wait for others to create something; present them with your own creations.
- Creation is discovery, imitation is repetition.
- The greatest human joy is in creation.
- A flaw in a creation remains an eternal blot on the creator's life.
- Do not regret after creating something; think twice before you create it
- For a skilful rider a Chollima runs one thousand miles at a gallop; for a poor rider it plods at a donkey's pace.
- He who says something is impossible is not speaking Korean.
6. Patriotism and Juche
- Loving and treasuring our own things means patriotism and Juche.
- A house with leaning pillars will fall down.
- Before becoming a scientist, first be an ardent patriot.
- Reading foreign writings should not turn out minds from our own nation.
- Genuine patriotism is in the struggle for national reunification.
- Korea is an organism that can survive when whole, but cannot when divided.
7. Trust and love
- Trust produces loyalty, mistrust betrayal.
- Power and trust joined together will prevail over Heaven.
- Trust nurtures people.
- A man with no love for people can never carry out the revolution.
- No love, no hatred.
- Repaying love with love is a human virtue.
- The best medicine is the doctor's devotion.
- There is an old saying that 800 nyang of gold will buy a house and 1,000 nyang a neighbor, but even 1,000 nyang cannot buy a revolutionary comrade. (nyang: an old Korean unit of weight equivalent to 37.3 gr.)
- He who does not love his comrades cannot be loved by them.
- Conscience and heart are one and the same thing.
- Conscience mirrors behavior and tells truth from falsehood.
- Conscience is the gauge that measures what one is worth and how much confidence one can earn from others.
9. Role of knowledge
- A, man sees, hears, feels and absorbs as much as he understands.
- A man can express only as much as he knows.
- Writing is a product of knowledge and passion.
- He who does not see the beauty of flowers will not learn to grow them.
10. Word and act
- What a man says shows what he is.
- To speak is to act.
11. Passion, thinking and judgment
- Passion is the source of great creation.
- Poverty of philosophy results in poverty of thought, which in turn ends in poverty of creation.
- He who neglects to think is a great loafer.
- Think one hundred times and choose once.
- Weak in judgment, strong in prejudice.
- Dim eyes miss the target.
- Find a great thing in the commonplace, see a great thing in the small.
12. Education and edification
- One does not automatically become a revolutionary just because one's parents are revolutionaries.
- Slowing down one step in the education of the younger generation means a ten-step delay in the advance of the country.
13. Literature and art
- Literature is the art of language.
- A revolutionary poem can serve for millions of spears and swords.
- True poetic words are found in the people's speech.
- The text of a song must be a refined poem.
- Stereotyping is a barrier between literature and the reader.
- The masses are the best critics.
- Art is a product of ideas and passion.
- Life goes hand in hand with music and songs.
- Life without music is a garden without flowers.
- Music is the art of melody.
- Architecture is a composite art.