newswire article announcements portland metro

energy & nuclear | environment | government cheney protests

Cheney Rally at the Embassy Suites- Airport

Let's welcome Cheney in a big way!
Tell Vice President Cheney that we can do Better!
What: Rally for Clean Energy
When: Tuesday, January 13th
Time: 4:30pm-7:00pm
Where:  Embassy Suites Hotel - Portland Airport
     7900 Northeast 82nd Ave.
      Portland, OR 97220
Contact: Kendra Kimbirauskas (cell)  503.997.7438  (work) 503.243.6656
                Nat Parker (cell) 503.705.3874
Vice President Cheney is coming to town on Tuesday, January 13th for a fundraising dinner at Embassy Suites - Airport.  Come join us in telling Mr. Cheney that there is a better way!  Oregon is a leader in renewable energy and the Bush administration should be looking to Oregon as an example instead of investing in dirty power.
At this point it is unclear as to where exactly we will be rallying the day of the event. Most likely - for security purposes - there will be a free-speech zone sectioned off somewhere for protesters.  As details become available, we will pass them your way.
As of now, Nat and Kendra plan to be on the grounds at 4:00pm.  For those of you who are available, we encourage you to join us at that time.  Otherwise, please come when you can! Look for Sierra Club - we will make ourselves visible!
If you have any questions, please contact either Nat or Kendra at the above numbers.
See you on the 13th!

phone: phone: 503-243-6656
address: address: 2950 SE Stark St., Portland, OR 97214

flyers 09.Jan.2004 14:00

Andy

We need to make flyers and start passing them out NOW! Tell all of your friends, neighbors, etc. We only have the rest of today, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to let people know the time and place. Lets get working!

bummer 09.Jan.2004 15:26

esparanza

I was looking forward to the Tues. rally, but not in a "free speech" zone. It is pointless to be cornered off in some small, controlled area that no one will ever see. I take that back, where is the "free speech" zone? Is it within site of other non-rallying folks? I doubt it. Plus, it's not really free speech if you need to be separated from others to be heard. I don't want to water down the protesting numbers by creating more than one location to rally in, but I will not show up at PDX just to be part of the unheard masses. At least in downtown we get to run around and scream at empty buildings!

well where should the protest be? 09.Jan.2004 15:59

juan

i also think downtown would be better. people need to decide fast cause flyers are being printed.

For my vote 09.Jan.2004 16:22

jlii

DOWNTOWN, you know where the people are.

The people we are trying to convince, not Veep who won't listern as you know the Airport can have all sorts of SPECIAL SECURITY. and it is private porperty. In the end have it anywhere you tell us, but have it. I'll be there.

Another downtown vote 09.Jan.2004 17:24

red suspenders

The airport Embassy Suites is a perfect location for the cowardly fundraisers. Plenty of parking on the private property, with wide landscaped berms so guests dont see anything unpleasant. The public sidewalk only gets within 50 yards, and they'll for sure block it off in the name of security. It's practically on the airport grounds- chaining your bike to the fence is likely to be a felony... Serious. I'd love to have the chance to hassle those idiots, but dont think we'll be able to get close. My feeling is if we can get plenty of people for a family-friendly noisy no blood for oil parade downtown we'll be more effective.

That being said I'll be there with a no blood for oil sign when a location is determined.

ok, and fine 09.Jan.2004 19:47

esparanza

I am not the one to print the flyers, kinda techno handicapped, sorry. Here's the details: Same time, 4:30pm, Tues. Obviously, no permit. March to be announced at site. Site is the S. Park Blocs. Speakers (?) sign yourself up soon or we will not have many. Or, would some like to somehow join the two protests? If so, we could meet at the S.Park Blocs later to accommodate the others. 4:30 is prime time for downtown, lots of folks going between A and B.

after a bit of diliberation... 09.Jan.2004 21:16

esparanza auntiesocial@riseup.net

4:30-5:30- meet at the s.park blocks, speakers if we have them
5:30-whenever-march and rejoice

Would someone like to donate the use of a mic and sound-type system? Bring your signs, your voice, your bikes, and yourselves. Food would be good for all, water espesc. Bring supplies for you and your sisters and brothers -just in case. Would Black Cross like to chat about apropriate gear during the current temptatures? Would anyone like to officially represent their groups? Sierra Club, afinity groups, the generally marginalized? See you there...

503-357-9163

don't fence me in 09.Jan.2004 22:20

sadder but wiser

I, too, think that somewhere other than the hotel at the airport is the place to be--I shudder to think of where their free speech zone would be.

Sure, it would be more effective if we were to protest in a place where the Dick actually is, but a) he doesn't care if we are there or not; b) he wouldn't see us from where he is nor would anyone else; and c) see "a."

Downtown is probably the place to be.

Uneasy 09.Jan.2004 23:56

in the street

I'm looking for some corroboration that there is going to be a dick exposure as posted here.

My search found nothing in the home town rag, at the petrified county republican site (last update, oh, maybe 8/2003) or the national bu$h/dick fan sites.

Does anyone have a second opinion source for the event schedule?
==========
The person who has been in and out of court on a local police charge, egged on by the secret service, of refusing to stay in a "free speech zone" during a bu$h visit to South Carolina was interviewed today on Democracy Now! He said that in the course of his defense, through discovery, he was able to acquire the secret service handbook portion that deals with the procedures and practices for interfacing with local cops, etc. He claims to the effect that it clearly states that the SS shall not in any way direct or cause the local enforcers to restrict demonstrations from being visible to the POTUS. He went on to say that this SS handbook would be posted on the South Carolina progressive network's web site "at midnight" (presumably 12 midnight EST today). I haven't found it there yet. But you might keep checking. It might have info useful to those in the local welcome committee.

Que se vayan todos! ĦAHORA MISMO!

Apologies 10.Jan.2004 00:08

for the multiple posts

My attempts to post (with a faulty .jpg file) resulted in rejects, so I figured only the last attempt (without the .jpg file) would make it. Apparently they all did!

Anyway, here is what I hope is a valid .jpg file (the bu$h store)...
"It's all for sale"

THE OFFICIAL ALTERNATIVE MEETING PLACE 10.Jan.2004 01:52

john reed

Come one and all, to the S. Park Blocks (by PSU) at 4:30 for speakers and such.
March unpermitted with all of the other Cheney (un)supporters at 5:30pm.
Raise your voices and your fists!
Bring food if you can, water is a must.

Me and my friends will be heading out to the airport hotel... 10.Jan.2004 02:30

DJ Shadow

For two reasons:

1. That's where Dick will be speaking, supposedly.
2. Someone has done some research and the Sierra Club has called an action. (As opposed to 4 people on Indymedia voting for a particular location--democratic? perhaps...but how reperesentative?)

I have marched around downtown plenty, I just can't see the rationale for heading down there again, when Cheney will be on the other side of town. If folks want to have an action downtown, fine. But how about having at a different time of day, so you don't potentially mess up what has already been called. Dividing our forces seems kinda silly to me.

Get Real 10.Jan.2004 10:08

I'm with DJ Shadow. I'll be at the protest that's actually being ORGANIZED, out at the airport. Yeah, it's pretty difficult to confront our "public servants" these days when they cower in airport hotels, but face it, 50 people walking around downtown Portland sidewalks with a busted megaphone and one fist raised is not really challenging the system either. At least at the airport we have a chance to confront the donors.

To the airport protest organizers: please keep us up to date on protest location, bus routes, etc. I know the word's getting out some because I've received this post on three different email lists so far, but get some flyers out (if you make 'em and tell people where to pick them up, I bet you'll have help distributing) and call on the local papers to publish something about the event.

get more real 10.Jan.2004 10:22

drillbit

By what stretch of the imagination do you think anyone in a free speech corner will get to confront donors? I am all for educating people about the prick dick c. and his merry band of environmenal terrorists. This needs to be done where there are people. By the way, DJ, was there a democratic process for chosing the site of the protest for people that aren't members of the sierra club? I would rather stand with the four people in downtown and try to talk to people that might not know about all these going-ons. A broken megaphone and a raised fist is in the hand of the beholder.

no airport 10.Jan.2004 13:01

your mom

If we have it at the airport everyone there could be charged as a terrorist because of its vicinity to flights. that is why Cheney chose this spot; there is going to be so much security and nothing is going to get done. Though I respect that the protest has already been set up I believe that it needs to be moved to somewhere like downtown where more can be accomplished, and we will be seen and heard, we need it downtown!

Banner drops or flyer drops inside? Embassy Suites have open atrium area 10.Jan.2004 13:04

out of stater

If this Embassy Suites hotel is like others I have seen, they have this huge open space that runs all the way through the middle of it, up to the skylights in the roof. There are typically solid sturdy handrails all around each floor, facing inward. I suggest a banner drop (attached to these handrails) or flyer drops inside. Sure it may get you thrown out, though paper sure looks pretty fluttering down 10 plus stories of space, so slowly. If you are going to get thrown out anyway if you are inside, so what's the difference . ;-) Make it count. And is it unnessary to get caught, simply drop flyers, and head out disguised in a suit instead of hanging around to claim responsibility. Getting the information to these people is the thing and letting them know we are everywhere. The information is the thing.

If interested, someone should check it out, and see if this idea is viable before they do it.

Let's not divide our forces... 10.Jan.2004 13:17

DJ Shadow

Response to drillbit:
at least out at the airport, we'll have a chance to confront donors and the Veep. There are protests downtown all the time--every Friday evening, and more. I think the masses downtown have heard the message plenty. I just think it would be better to be out at the airport with Cheney, the donors,and the media. If folks insist on doing the downtown thing, please consider doing at a time that does not conflict with the Sierra Club's call.

No one says you have to go inside any "free speech zone".

On the decision making and accountability, I guess I want to know who is making these decisions. I'm not a huge fan of the Sierra Club, but at least I know who they are and what they are about. Of the people calling for a downtown action, are there any affinity groups or organizations or other constitiuencies represented? Is it four people proposing this or more than that. Who have you consulted with? If I know that there is an affinity group throwing this out, and that they actually have a plan, I'd be a lot more interested.

Until I hear a good rationale for dividing our numbers, or that there is good organizing going on for the downtown thing, I'm heading to the airport.

I have only heard 10.Jan.2004 21:29

esparanza

from Code Pink so far. I agree that separating support is not a great idea. It is extremely difficult to organize in just a few days, especially for losely knit affinity groups. Would the organizers of the airport action please explain what kind of security will be at their location? Will there be airport security along with police? How close will protesters be able to get to the Embassy Suites? How big is the area, free speech or otherwise? I am concerned that people will be not seen, not heard, unless direct monkeywrenching or banner placing is involved. That is a great idea (the banner placing) that some will feel uncomfortable doing. Personally, I would like the effort to be worth the trouble for people that brave the cold, call in to work, get childcare, MAX it to the location, and risk the label of domestic terrorist or whatever label a code orange airport atmosphere breeds, etc. Otherwise, we are just as effective as a letter sent to Dick saying he's a big jerk. I just thought that downtown would give more coverage to a broader range of people-and more room to roam if needed. Obviously, if there isn't enough support for the downtown location, I will be going to the airport also.

Everyone is going downtown 11.Jan.2004 04:36

juan

not even the old liberals I know want to sit out at the airport. Apparently, only the cops and a handful of reporters will be out at the airport. Who knows what will happen when the gangsters of Capital get together. They are expecting another mill for the New World Order. If you disagree with the New World Order then get out in the streets and show people how pissed off you are.

Embassy outside of airport 11.Jan.2004 10:00

I'll be at the airport

The airport makes more sense to me. The hotel appears to be outside of the airport -- look at map.yahoo.com -- and so airport security rules shouldn't apply there. Although, there will heavy police presence as well as some pro-Cheney support, claiming that the cops are on their side.

A separate action at the So. Pk. Blocs could be okay, but it could end up like the Bush protest where the police restrained themselves at the campus and then let loose (when many observers & reporters were still at the campus) at the park. If you spread observers too thin, abuse can happen and few people witness it.

just take a night's stay at the Embassy Suites, and you are in with materials 11.Jan.2004 12:35

out of stater

another idea: get a one night's stay in a room, and you are in the building legally. If they throw you out, or find out who you are after banner drops or flyer drops, you can sue because you were a paying guest. ;-)

Embassy Suites Rally Update 11.Jan.2004 21:11

Kendra kendra.kimbirauskas@sierraclub.org

I understand all of your frustration about the location of the Cheney visit- we are just as concerned about visibility. Although, a rally downtown is a good idea and probably more visible to the public, I think it is important to be at the hotel where Cheney will be speaking. We know for fact that the press will be where Cheney is and if we make enough noise, we are sure to get some attention.

I spoke to a Lieutenant this evening and he was very helpful. Because of the location, there are not a lot of public areas to demonstrate. The Lieutenant said that they had gotten special permission to use a field right behind the Embassy Suites for protesters. When we were out scouting the location, this was actually the area that we thought would be best.

The MAX will be running and people should take it to the Mt. Hood stop and walk to the hotel. Again the Lieutenant said that we have permission to cross the private land to get to the rally area. We have great props and visuals. Please bring signs, noisemakers, flyers etc.

If you have any questions, please call me. 503-997-7438(cell) or  kendra.kimbirauskas@sierraclub.org

503-997-7438

Update : Cheney Rally at Embassy Suites 11.Jan.2004 21:17

K

If you have any questions, please call me. 503-997-7438 or  Kendra.kimbirauskas@sierraclub.org

Ummm..... yeah 12.Jan.2004 00:38

sista_resista

So far, I've counted three "official" protest sites. Forget yelling at downtown business folk, I don't HAVE a job, so I'll be out at the airport, trying to yell at the VPOTUS in person. I was in Cali when the Prez showed up in Santa Clara, and in Burlingame. Stupid- ass. He actually HEARD & SAW us in Burlingame. It was exhilerating. Bring your water & your handkerchiefs (fo yo face). I'll be THERE at the hotel. We can at least TRY to get close.

~VIVA LA REVOLUCION~

Cheney either at downtown Embassy Suites or at airport 12.Jan.2004 10:10

hmm

see other articles on the wire. Flip a coin. Recommendation: feel OK about protesting each one, wherever, say that someone from the Cheney team may have deliberately seeded disinformation, because they were afraid of you! That puppet Cheney head sounds like a much better substitute, and far more accurate.

Details for Cheney 12.Jan.2004 12:00

J

Fellow Cheney protesters:

There is limited parking at the Embassy Suites, so its best to take the Max light rail to the Mt. Hood Ave Station, a block or so away. The nearest park and ride is Parkrose/Sumner Station at Sandy & NE 96th Ave.

Coming from Vancouver go across the 205 bridge and take the Sandy/Columbia exit. As you wrap around, stay in the right lane and turn right onto Columbia, going east. Then take a right and go NW on Sandy. The station is a half block on the right. You buy tickets at a machine and hop on. It will take about 5 minutes to get to Mt Hood Station. Those of you coming from other directions will reverse or adjust as needed.

The schedule at that time of day is: 3:14P 3:29P 3:44P 3:59P 4:13P 4:28P
For other times see  http://www.trimet.org/schedule/w/t1090_0.htm

It should be pretty easy to find the Sierra Club protesters. There will be a large balloon shaped to look like the "White House destroyed".

Come any time between 4:30 and 7:00 tomorrow night, stay as long as you like.

Airport a good bet 12.Jan.2004 12:04

me

How about just showing up a the airport for a little (big) demo? It's a pretty good bet he'll be there, whichever hotel he's planning to attend. Just watch for fleeing ambulances, which is how the weener bush sneaked in and out of UP last summer. Whatta buncha total weeners. Remember when the president jogged with the people? Yeh, he was an ass too, but at least he wasn't a weener.

Downtown location 12.Jan.2004 18:30

Ravenheart

Ok - I have it from a reliable source that the downtown location is where the big Dick is landing. I don't have the exact time yet, but I am working on it. It would seem that the 5:30-7:30 event is probably right, based on the flight restrictions and other info. Besides, what are the odds that there just happens to be a bunch of McKorpers meeting at the same time in the same town in a hotel of the same name? This "Korporate (malignant) Growth" group is likely made up of fatkats who wouldn't miss the big dick. That is where he will go.

Besides, let's remember our pretzel-dential visits past - PSU, the Benson, the Hilton - all downtown. They don't go to the airport hotels - too many planes flying around makes the gestapo nervous.

The downtown Embassy is at 319 SW Pine Street. Let's show them a good time.........