newswire article commentary united states

technology

A little personal computer security: turn on yer cookie prompt

Block some spy/ad-ware simply
Hey all,

Just a quick, small adjustment that the not-very-fluent PC-user (i.e.: me) can make to have some control over who sees yer computer...

When you go surfing, you'll soon see how many other people actually have access.

FTM

vote with Yer pocketbook
and use this 04.Jan.2004 22:35

michael

Also, download and install Lavasoft's free version of AdAware 6. Run the program after each web browsing session. You would be amazed at how many sites load spyware on to your comp. Link below:

Mac 05.Jan.2004 01:13

attack

Any one know of a similar application compatible with OS-X?

Use what you get 05.Jan.2004 08:38

!

"Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Advanced -> Override Automatic Cookie Handling -> Prompt First-Party Cookies -> Block Third-Party Cookies"

I do all this except I BLOCK First Party cookies, I have never had any problems visiting or downloading anything. Why people allow cookies is beyond me, it's just an invitation for invasion of your privacy.

I also use two different spyware programs; besides Adaware I also use Spybot. What one doesn't get the other will.
Spybot:  http://www.safer-networking.org/

Mozilla 05.Jan.2004 08:42

Mozilla fan

Use Mozilla.

Everytime some other software pops up IE, change it to pop up Mozilla instead.
Set your cookie preferences to warn always.
Stop going to sites which demand more than one or two cookies.
Then, set sites you really trust to allow cookies.

Free download :  http://www.mozilla.org/

* Linux (15.4MB)
* Mac OS X (15.2MB)
* Windows (11.9MB)

about half an hour with a 56K modem... realistically, maybe an hour.
Get a friend with high-speed to download it for you.
Buy a CD for $4.

Stop being a MicroSlave. Switch to Linux.
OK. Yes, that is harder.
You can actually, dual-boot, run both alternating.
Don't try unless you know how, or you have a good friend who knows how
AND does it herself.
BACKUP YOUR FILES. If she says you don't need to, she is not a good friend.

Just be careful how high you set the filter 05.Jan.2004 16:13

az

I set my cookie filter up as high as it would go last summer, and it kept me from being able to access email accounts, since web-based email uses cookies to determine which computer should be sent the information. You may have to experiment to see how high it can go before email stops working.

warn vs block 05.Jan.2004 20:16

clamydia

Setting your browser to warn you about cookies and offer an option as to whether or not it will accept them can be an alternative to blocking them completely. This would allow you to still check email, post to certain boards, etc. Only problem is that it is annoying as fuck because you are CONSTANTLY getting pop up warnings about cookies. Another thing you can do to help stop pop up windows is to set your browser to ask permission before running scripts. If it's a site you trust, yes, if not, click no. Still, though, this can be just as annoying.

Thank You 05.Jan.2004 23:45

Migratory Bird

Thank you for teaching us this little stuff. It would be cool if you know a bit about computers if maybe you could do these lessons once a week. There are a lot of us who don't know anything about computers and protection. This kind of loving community action is what really makes me keep coming back to indymedia. I appreciate it, I am a little bit safer this week than last week.

Rephrased Mac 06.Jan.2004 00:03

attack

Anyone know of an app like AdAware (see first comment from Michael) compatible with OS-X?

how to...? 06.Jan.2004 00:54

homie

how do i stop my homepage from being replaced by various search engines without my consent? everytime i log on my homepage is replaced and it's getting annoying. thanks.

Homie 06.Jan.2004 03:09

MB

I had the same problem as you. I ran adaware which is free, and it took care of it. Spyware might be changing your settings. It got so bad one day thatI almost started crying, then some indyangel posted the adaware 6 and now I don't have my CD tray opening and my screen freezing up. Adaware is free.

thanks 06.Jan.2004 11:30

homie

i have spybot s&d but i guess that it's missing it. i guess i'll run both like the previous poster. thanks again. this adware/spyware stuff sucks.

OS X Ad blocker..... 06.Jan.2004 17:03

M

to keep people from tampering with your firewall, you could try something like IPnetSentry.

thanks
M

www.adbusters.org

Yeah, right 06.Jan.2004 18:43

OS Agnostic

"Simply put, there aren't very many spyware products written for OS X. the security level set in OS X is set to a higher level in OS X by default. Both Linux and OS X don't have the security problems that Windoze has."

What a crock of shit. Malware and spyware aren't big issues for Mac and Linux because they're minority platforms--you get maximum coverage for damage, publicity, sales, whatever it was you were wanting with your malicious code by targeting Windows.

To answer the question, though, yes, there is Mac spyware, and Aladdin makes a product to take it off your machine. I think it's called Internet Cleaner. It'll also do more advance popup and cookie blocking than your browser. I dunno if you're going to be able to find free stuff to clean a Mac, though.

Blocking popups 06.Jan.2004 18:43

George Bender

Google has a tool you can download to block popups. Works.

Services & Tools