newswire article announcements portland metro

alternative media

UNDERGROUND -film showing benefit for Little Beirut Newsletter

"You don't need a Weathermen to know which way the wind blows."
Portland Anti Capitalist Action Presents

UNDERGROUND

Five Weather Underground members met with a film crew to produce "Underground" in 1975. Around two hours, the film contains conversations with the Weather while they were still underground. "People make history" said Billy Ayres. Cathy Wilerson, Kathy Boudin, Bernardine Dohrn, Jeff Jones, and Billy Ayres talk about how they came to consider themselves revolutionaries and followed up their belief with armed struggle against the U.S.

Archival footage of the "Days Of Rage" is shown, along with other clips of revolutionaries and insurrections within the U.S.

Speeches by Malcom X, Martin Luther King JR, Rapp Brown, Fidel Castro, and Fred Hampton appear throughout the film.

"We're going to retake this country in the streets," the Weathermen said.

Sunday, November 16th 8:00 p.m.
Vinies Pizza 300 N. Killingsworth
$3-5 Sliding Scale, (no one turned away)
Pizza will be available for $2 a slice and $2 for a vegan slice (bring vegan cheese)

Money will be going towards the next issue of Little Beirut. Thanks!

Love and Revolution- Little Beirut Working Group (PDX ACA)

homepage: homepage: http://www.pdxaca.org

Thanks again aca 15.Nov.2003 12:30

Mb

Thank you for promoting this video. The weathermen acted in revolutionary spirit. As are you.

blurred perspective? 15.Nov.2003 14:02

someone

This film is not to be confused with the recently released "The Weather Underground." Underground is filmed during a revolutionary struggle, not afterwards when retrospect has blurred perspective. I think that perspective increases with the passage of time. If anything I would call being in the midst of a somewhat romanticised, somewhat dellusional "revolution" as having the effect of blurring someones perspective. I don't think it's fair to say that the former members of the Weather Underground's perspectives have become blurred now that they are older and don't hapen to agree 100% with your perspective on revolution. I think that the younger radicals have a lot to learn, It saddens me to see arrogant attitudes like this constantly. It is important to be open to criticism and advice from the older generation of activists, Even if you think they completely sold out it doesn't change the fact that they have been through this before and probably have a much broader perspective than most of the younger folks.

blurred perspective? 15.Nov.2003 14:19

someone

Quated from above: This film is not to be confused with the recently released "The Weather Underground." Underground is filmed during a revolutionary struggle, not afterwards when retrospect has blurred perspective.

Head in the sand 15.Nov.2003 14:42

Worlld Socialist wsppdx@yahoo.com

I find it curious that a rather doctrinare Maoist group, central committee and all, are heros for an anarchist organization. So much for "libertarian" socialism.

The WU was a pathetic group of isolated rich white brats that did much, much more harm than good. You don't need to know which way the wind blows when your head is up your ass...

I met a guy from the weather underground once. 15.Nov.2003 21:06

He had been

in the original weather underground you understand. He was taking group therapy at a little storefront psychology place at the end of Devon street in Chicago. I doubt very much he had ever thrown a bomb in his life. I think that whole thing about bomb throwing anarchist was invented by neo conservative-status quo types who wanted to suppress the truth. They wanted to tell the big lie and got away with it.

This guy was working as a janitor at Loyola University, I guess because the fascist big business people wouldn't hire him for anything else, and he had to survive somehow.

(If you bastards are going to continue to ignore me. I will get even somehow.

Watch me.

apple strudel 16.Nov.2003 00:29

Sam melville

Naw it's true the first film documents a little better because of the people who made it. I met the 2 directors of this NEW one, and when asked what the people interviewed thought of the final film, it was said by many that they would have done it differently. They show the leary break out and people giggle ha ha, they did not show the liberation of assata shakur, or Sam mellville murdered at ATTICA, fuck their time line was all fucked up, and that FRED hampton quote was from 1969 before they went underground it was not documented properly in that film, how many panthers supported the weather underground. Neither this new CRAPPY todd gitlin interview'n film and these A.C.A folks both fail to mention how revolutionary it was for director EMILLE DE ANTONIO to go underground with a fucking film crew and interview 5 of F.B.I's most wanted, he made his tapes confiscated by the feds and all sorts of fun stuff- it was quite an embassment to the feds when the film came out.. Also 3-5 come on you can see this film shown about twice a year for free. Show me somthing I have NOT seen like BREATHING TOGETHER, it has Abbie, Jerry, Fred H, Don cox,and william kunstler it was made in 69 and i've been looking for it for years.