newswire article reposts united states

government

John Mellencamp for President!

link to www.smirkingchimp.com
John & Elaine Mellencamp: 'It's time to take back our country'
Posted on Saturday, October 25 @ 07:45:43 EDT
By John & Elaine Mellencamp

As the echo of the war drums fades away and the angry masses calling for blood slowly disperse, we, as a nation must now confront the truth. We face the unpleasant reality of an uncertain future, compromised safety, a failing economy, and the question of how a society of otherwise reasonable citizens was systematically lied to and manipulated into backing the political "hijacking" of Iraq.

Before a single bomb was ever dropped, some of us, formerly called the "anti-American and unpatriotic," have questioned or opposed this war. Now, each day, as the dust settles and the truth slowly surfaces, more and more people come to the inevitable conclusion of what a debacle this whole war was.

39,000 bombs later, no weapons of mass destruction uncovered, no dangerous dictators captured, no connection to Sept 11. What have we gained but relentless media coverage of a fallen statue and some stolen oil fields -- the spoils of this misadventure. Not to mention lucrative corporate payoffs and an enormous price tag of over 80 Billion dollars . . . some tax cut.

But what have we lost? We have lost the lives of over 300 Americans. Approximately 2 U.S. troop deaths each day, 193 deaths since the war was declared over. In total, an estimated 20,000 people have died, thus far, in this conflict.

In addition to the lives given for this effort, our nation has suffered the loss of respect within the world community, particularly the United Nations. We have managed to squander any goodwill we once had to now succeed in solidifying our image as the globe's leading bully. Arrogant and thoughtless.

The word Democracy means literally "by the people." This is the basis of our government and society. It is what this country was founded upon and what makes us American. It is not just our "right" but also our duty to speak out and voice our thoughts and opinions. How, then, was it possible that, in the land of freedom, those who opposed the common opinion were called."un-American?" Resentfully, we wonder.

The song "To Washington" was met with criticism and was labeled an anti-war song. That was not at all the case or intention; it was merely a report of the political climate, in the age-old tradition of the troubadour spreading the news through song and story. Professionally, we, the Mellencamps, have the opportunity to travel extensively, and we take full advantage of that by talking to, listening to, and experiencing the diversity our vast country has to offer. The lyrics of "To Washington" are not just a personal opinion, but also the view from a very wide horizon.

Who is to say what is or isn't "patriotic?" Do the flags that wave from every minivan really offer any support? Where is the support for the thousands of service men and women who return to the states to see their benefits cut, their health problems ignored, their jobs gone and their families living in poverty? How are they repaid for their efforts; for risking or losing their lives? So far, dismally.

This nation was founded to enable freedom and diversity of opinion, and many lives have been lost to secure that liberty. Paradoxically, some still resist the open mindedness that is the very foundation of this country.

The Governor of California was removed from office based on finance troubles. And yet George W Bush has lied to us, failed to keep our own borders secure, entered a war under false pretense, endangered lives, and created financial chaos. How is it that he hasn't been recalled? Perhaps this time we could even have a real election . . . but that wouldn't fit the Bush administration's "take what you want and fire people later" policy. Take an election; take an oil field; take advantage of your own people -- a game of political Three-Card Monte.

The fight for freedom in this country has been long, painful, and ongoing. It is time to take back our country. Take it back from political agendas, corporate greed and overall manipulation. It is time to take action here in our land, in our own schools, neighborhoods, farms, and businesses. We have been lied to and terrorized by our own government, and it is time to take action. Now is the time to come together.

John and Elaine Mellencamp live in southern Indiana. John's latest album, which includes the song "To Washington", is Trouble No More.
he can't run with his past... 26.Oct.2003 22:34

n

Johnny Cougar has always been a shit-disturber going all the way back before Farm AID 1984.

He comes from that Southern Indiana/Democrat/Agriculture/ Briar-hopper /Birthplace of the KKK/blue-collar area background.

He would never be able to seek public office due to his racist outbursts on national TV.

The biggest one that comes to mind, was when he was being interviewed by a black journalist about his second album, and she asked him some questions about his personal life, that she thought was in conflict with some of his lyrics. I remember seeing him say "FUCK YOU NIGGER, I DON"T NEED THIS SHIT!" and promptly stomped off the studio set.

He makes great music, and I have a few of his CDs, but his temper has caused him a lot of harm.

Puke 27.Oct.2003 00:25

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

His music sucks regardless of the message, and if he is an all-amerikan bigot too, suggesting him for president is a really really terrible idea. Jello Biafra, maybe, Mellencamp no way.

YEAH JELLO 27.Oct.2003 00:59

JELLO

I love jello, but Really it's time for the empire to end the pain upon us poor workers who built it. No more presidents no MORE WHITE MALE MONOPOLY.

Good Ol' Boy 27.Oct.2003 10:47

Kickapoo

This last summer my brother and I were doing some rogue caving in the Hoosier National Forest. Afterwards we stopped in a tiny roadhouse near Orangeville, Indiana, for whiskey drinks. This place was classic redneck- cinder block walls, a beat-up pool table, jukebox full of Cash and Hank, Senior, old Bud and Coors posters, big jars of pickled eggs, and a the Stars and Bars draped on the wall behind the bar. After we took a table I looked around to see none other then John Mellencamp and friend sitting across the way. When I made my way to the bar for a round Mellencamp's friend ask me why I was so muddy (obviously he wasn't a caver). My somewhat smart ass answer made Mellencamp roar with laughter. He ask me where I was from. I told him Portland, and he was instantly fascinated. During the next 15 minutes we talked about Portland's anti-war demonstrations, John Reed, Big Bill Haywood, Old Growth, and even Wind Mountain in the Gorge (Apparently he has friends in Carson, WA). I found him to be quite intelligent and engaging. Redneck for sure, but a radical too.
Presidential material?? Nah. Just a good ol' boy thoroughly outraged at the Bush Administration.

Racist comment source? 27.Oct.2003 11:16

Mark

N...
No offense, but... do you have a source for the comment that John Mellencamp was dropping "N Bombs"?
I really find this hard to believe since he's employed African American bandmembers and has written songs about racial equality. I'm not saying you're full of it... I guess I just don't want to believe it until I know it's true. (That's a mighty big accusation that you made.)

Where do you get this stuff? 27.Oct.2003 14:49

jebus

n - What the the hell are you talking about!?

From a salon.com article:

More recently, Mellencamp has been tackling the topic of race relations. The title track to 2001's "Cuttin' Heads" featured Chuck D. rapping about the word "nigger": "I connect the word with pain, now some smile when they scream the name?/ Die, N-word, die. I want to live."

The album's second song, the sweet-sounding single "Peaceful World," was equally blunt: "Racism lives in the U.S. today." Not exactly Top-40 fare.

This is all I remember, about the event. 27.Oct.2003 15:50

n

Hey,

Ok, here is what I know from first hand experience, and the only other witness (I know personally) who saw it was a firefighter who was killed in the line of duty over ten years ago.

Back in the early 1980s, I think this show was on either Friday or Saturday night, late (like Midnight or so), and I believe it was either ABC or NBC. I want to say it was ABC, and came on after the show "Fridays" if anybody remembers that show.

I can't remember the show's name, but its sort of a cross between Entertainment tonight, and Casey Kasem. I believe they only interviewed either musicians or maybe entertainers and pop musicians.

I'm sorry this story is so lame, but I haven't thought about it in years. So me and my buddy were watching the show (he at his house and me at mine. We discussed the incident the next day).

There was a black female host/journalist, and I believe she was a regular host of the show, but I can't remember. (sorry).

Johnny Cougar was on. I believe this was before he started using John Cougar Mellencamp. (he hates the name Cougar, that was thought up by his agent, because Mellencamp was too weird, for the pre-teen pop crowd).

There was a lot of "live" broadcast back then at that time slot, trying to compete with SNL on NBC and trying to be cool, hip, and so on.

I think the new album at the time was Uh-Huh, and she played the video "Little Pink Houses" (I really don't remember, but it was in that general time frame). She asked some questions of John, then another video, then she came back from a commercial and started to ask him questions about his personal life. I don't remember the exactly question, but the crux was generally something like "Mr. Mellencamp, how does being a father, and husband jive with videos like "Hurts so Good", that is about biker sex" (That wasn't it but had something to do with his image of a steamy video (keep in mind this was 1982 or so.) And the contradiction of being a family man.)

Anyway, I didn't think the question at the time as all that provocative, but it hit a nerve, because he was sitting across from her in a darkened studio background (Like Charlie Rose has on PBS). And he jumped up and as he was getting up he said very loudly "FUCK YOU NIGGER!! I DON"T NEED THIS SHIT!!" and pulled his mike off, and stopped off stage. As I remember she handled it very professionally and went to a commercial break.

If this helps, I did watch a Biography about him some years ago, and the referenced this event, but they bleeped out what he said, and didn't mention the racial part of it.

Perhaps you could do some research and see if you can come up with more than I did from memory.

PS, the reason I was watching, was because he was one of my favorite singers, and I still like his work. He has always thrown political hand grenades. Back then it was at the Reagan administration.

thanks

One more thing. 27.Oct.2003 16:57

n

This is not an excuse for what JCM did, or said. But a lot of people love to stand on the moral high ground and look down or back on people by judging what they did, by today's standards.

I'm a little younger than JCM, but grew up in a similar southern-mid-west area, and also a blue-collar democrat, agricultural, rust belt area. Blacks were often as a group looked on as competition for the few high paying unskilled union labor jobs by the whites of these communities (I'm trying to come up with a rationalization (not justification) for the racism.)

Many people I knew and grew up with were stanch democrats, and hated Republicans. (Keep in mind Southern Illinois voted against Abe Lincoln), but also hate blacks as a group. They know individual blacks and have no problem with them, but as a group, they don't like them, and they can't really tell you why. However they vote in lock step with blacks for democrat candidates.

I think this maybe one reason that democrats won't run a black on a national ticket. They are afraid of alienating some of their core voters. (just a guess).

I would bet that JCM falls into this category. He grew up in a time and place where that was just they way things are. He loved Aretha Frankin, James Brown, etc. because he saw them as individuals, and he didn't seem them as part of group.

I know he has and had employed blacks as signers in his band. I would bet he hadn't met a black person (if you have traveled in southern Indiana its not hard to imagine) when he was a kid growing up, there just weren't any around.

When I was a kid, it was popular to hear and tell "Pollack Jokes". I had never met anybody who was polish, and didn't really know what a Pollack was. In my mind it was just some dumbass who was always the butt of the joke.

I would bet that if you were sitting in a redneck bar with JCM, and he had a few drinks, and someone told a "N****R Joke", JCM would laugh. I don't believe he would tell one himself, but I don't think he jump up and denounce it either.