The second annual "FatGirl Speaks; a Celebration of Size, Self and Sexuality" will be happening Saturday, May 8th 2004 @ the Roseland Theater in Portland, Oregon. Last year's show was a total blowout. We sold out the venue and turned away another 100 folks at the door. This year, our venue is larger, and we'll be having an on-site after party as well!|
Founded on progressive feminist principles of size positivity and the promotion of natural body diversity, this full-day festival will energize, empower, uplift and celebrate women of size and our allies!
FatGirl Speaks will feature political and educational workshops, a FatGirl Fashion Show, an evening of spoken word, dance, performance art, live music and fun extras like a FatGirl kissing booth!
In addition to the immediate benefits of attending the event, our conference program will be presented in 'zine format and will serve as a long-term resource guide with both local and national resources for living large, loud and proud.
I'm writing here because we need a few things to help us with the planning process for this year's show:
1) Performers - Musicians, Spoken Word Artists, Dancers, DJ's, GoGo Girls, etc...
2) Volunteers - local fatgirls to get involved in the planning and production.
3) Sponsors - This year, in order to get a larger venue, we literally had to quadruple our rent. We'd like to get sponsors to help us so we don't have to charge the audience too much. We're working on getting non-profit status so we can give you a tax write-off. We're doing the resource guide in 'zine format again, but we're getting pricing for full color glossy so we can include artwork and give our sponsors full color ads as well. And based on last year's attendance of 500 people (plus the 100 others who would have liked to have attended), we're estimating 800 fiesty fatgirls in the audience who will benefit from hearing about you, and vice-versa!
4) Fundraisers - locals and non-locals alike, who would be willing to help plan and put on fundraisers for the FatGirl Speaks show in Portland or elsewhere.
5) Hospitality - folks who have homes they're willing to share with out of town guests or performers, with comfortable sleeping accommodations for people of size.
Please contact Stacy Bias at firstname.lastname@example.org or see http://www.fatgirlspeaks.com for more information on getting involved!