newswire article commentary united states

media criticism

Johnny Depp Says America is a Dumb Puppy With Big Teeth

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive" - Johnny Depp

Depp slams US as 'dumb puppy'

16.57PM BST, 3 Sep 2003

Hollywood star Johnny Depp has described the US as a "dumb puppy with big teeth that can bite" and said he will not live there until the political climate changes.

Depp, 40, said that he is happier staying in the south of France with his French actress wife Vanessa Paradis and their two children. (Picture: www.disney.com)

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive," the Pirates of the Caribbean actor said.

"My daughter is four, my boy is one. I'd like them to see America as a toy, a broken toy.

"Investigate it a little, check it out, get this feeling and then get out."

The star of Sleepy Hollow and Edward Scissorhands criticised President George W Bush's administration for its criticism of French opposition to the US-led war in Iraq.

"I was ecstatic they re-named 'French Fries' as 'Freedom Fries' - grown men and women in positions of power in the US Government showing themselves as idiots."

Puppy love 06.Sep.2003 06:35

Tom

Where did this story come from?

There is something soft and cuddly and promising about a puppy-- even if it is aggressive and has big teeth.

The U.S. government seems harsh and brittle and mean-- not like a puppy at all.

What does Johnny Depp mean?

Does anyone know of additional sources of Depp wisdom?

What a dumb ass, script reader! 06.Sep.2003 08:18

ChezzeBait

Hay Depp, who gives a sh!T about ur politcal views. What kind of credability do u think u have? You are a gawd damn actor, shut up and read ur damn script. Ur view is no more important or educated than a janitor at McDonalds! Ur so lame u read scripts for hollywood movies, make mad cash off the americans, and then retreat to France. What a tradior! Who is the puppy dog now! Stay in France, and never show ur face on American soil again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just my 2 cents. Peace (Gawd damn i hate when actors think there god, or there polital view is important.)

dumb, maybe, ignorant, yes 06.Sep.2003 08:31

TheTroll

On 911, the media showed America video of palestinians dancing in the streets. The media told us they were celebrating the wtc attacks. And America, ignorant (thanks to media manipulation) not dumb, believed what they saw. Too bad the shadows on the video clearly showed it was noontime, and not the 5 PM actual time in Palestine. The video was file footage and could not have been taken after the attacks until the next day, which no video of the next day made it into the media reports. Are Americans dumb for believing the trusted Zionist loving media? I will not answer that one, when you already have.
It is clear that the media thinks Americans are dumb, and that America is to be manipulated to use the teeth to bite those who Zionists hate. Depp is right about America but wrong in his choice of words. America is an ignorant puppy, being taught to hate and to bite.

Yeah, but... 06.Sep.2003 11:45

Chardman

...he's since recanted on his statements. Apparently some suit a Disney got a hold of him and showed him which side his bread is buttered on.
Here's a link:
 link to story.news.yahoo.com

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Denying any anti-American sentiment on his part, actor Johnny Depp (news) said on Thursday that quotes attributed to him as likening the United States to a "dumb puppy" were inaccurate and taken out of context.
"I am an American. I love my country and have great hopes for it," Depp said in a statement released by his Los Angeles-based publicist. "It is for this reason that I speak candidly and sometimes critically about it. I have benefited greatly from the freedom that exists in my country and for this I am eternally grateful."

Johnny Depp Apologizes 06.Sep.2003 12:45

Patriot Thought Police

Johnny Depp apologizes for his anti-American sentiment, here is his statement:

"I am an American. I love my country and have great hopes for it. It is for this reason that I speak candidly and sometimes critically about it. I have benefited greatly from the freedom that exists in my country and all the money that was given to me and for this I am eternally grateful--just ask my agent. I also realize that if I continue to speak out against America's atrocities against humanity, my career will be reduced to a lifetime of 21 Jump Street reruns. Hence, I offer this most humble of apologies to my fellow Americans for telling the truth about their Empire. I would also like to add that I support our President 110 percent and that he looks very cute in a Top Gun flight suit. Finally, I believe in and support America in our holy righteous DoubleplusGood Twilight Struggle against the forces of Terrorism and Evil on this planet, even though we are covertly sponsoring and supporting Al-Queda and bin Laden for the past 20 years dating back to the days of Nobel Peace Prize winner Jimmy Carter and his Afghan Trap. Americans may not be consistent but we are always right.

God Bless America forever and ever and ever!

Entertainment tonight 06.Sep.2003 19:24

Fred Fulcrum

Who cares what JD says. What's the fuss Gus? Is it because he dared challenge his homeland? My , my how dare he!
When Charlton Heston was the spokesman for the NRA, he repeatedly used his catch phrase "From my cold dead hands!" which always drew praise from the bambi killers he was speaking to. Never mind that the only guns Chuckie every shot was in a movie. I think Moses should have been held accountable for the b.s. he flung for the many years he pontificated for the NRA. By speaking for the powerful he was rewarded.

Someone here 06.Sep.2003 19:56

Equal America

doesn't respect janitors at MacDonalds, or actors. Judging from his spelling and writing skills, he's as uneducated as our president.

I bet he's not as rich though.

Too bad.

Johnny can say whatever he wants. If you want a country full of yes men, there are plenty of dictatorships around the world that would suit you nicely. You can be poor and elitist there too.

johnny depp knows where it's at... 07.Sep.2003 10:28

depp fan

...and it ain't in the "good ole us of a"

i read some things that he said about america a while back. he's well spoken (no scipt needed to speak out on the american arrogance) and intelligent. too bad that he had to recant the truth for his career, but then so has all of the other hollywood folks who have the guts to speak out.

and yes, mr. depp is sexy in lotz of ways, esp. when he speaks out like that!

Johnny Depp...Victim of Modern-Day Macarthyim 08.Sep.2003 10:09

Captain Jack Sparrow

Johnny Depp, like Harrison Ford and others, is a victim of modern-day Macarthyism and right-wing radical though police tactics. His statements are constantly taken out of context and slung around irresponsibly by a right-wing media. This is a very Orwellian political climate where patriotism is redefined to mean complete agreement with the present regime. I for one love America but dislike the present political climate and government. This present government is dismantling our rights and punishing those who still practic free speech. Why is it so hard for some right-wingers to understand that you can love your country while not advocating all actions of its current leaders?? This is a very dangerous attitude.

So what? 09.Sep.2003 18:55

Cindy

Um...question...

WHO CARES???

So what if Johnny Depp thinks America is dumb? What does it matter? He's a part of this country (at least I think so) and he's entitled to his own opinion. Remember...freedom of speech? I've heard that some people have even said that they will "no longer watch Johnny Depp movies"...How retarded are you people? So it's ok when commentators for the news diss America...I see...
But an actor can't...now it makes sense...pssh, PUH-LEASE! If you should care about anyone's opinion, it should be the commentators. They're on the NEWS...they have the FACTS...I'm so sure.

So I say, give Johnny a break, mind your own business, and get a life.

Johnny Depp is right 13.Sep.2003 00:35

lsommer

Ok first of all, I think everyone is completely overreacting on this whole subject, and nobody should take the media's words so seriously. Everyone knows they twist words around and put them into context just to start up gossip. Second of all, Depp does have a point. He does not hate America, or ashamed of being an American. He is just simply stating the truth. People criticize him so much for telling the truth and stating his opinons. All of those other sell-outs in Hollywood just sugar coat everything and say whatever they can that will get people to like them. Johnny Depp could care less what people think about him, which is one of the reasons I admire and respect him so much. People think he is such a traitor or something for leaving America. It's not like he just got up one day and said "I hate America, I'm moving to France." Hello.. he went to France to make a movie and fell in love with the place and a French woman. He is probably also trying to get away from all of the papporazzi and the media who hound celebrities all the time. Who could blame him? Thirdly, THE MEDIA ARE ASSHOLES! Like I said before they will print anything and twist any words around to sell papers. When Johnny was questioned about the comment, he appologized to anyone who was offended. When he compared the U.S. to a dumb puppy with large teeth, he was saying that America is still a new country compared to Europe, and who could argue with saying that we have large teeth. Johnny stated that, "There was no anti-American sentiment. In fact, it was just the opposite. I am an American. I love my country and have great hopes for it. It is for this reason that I speak candidly and sometimes critically about it. I have benefited greatly from the freedom that exists in my country and for this I am eternally grateful."
Personally I think Depp is one of only a few Hollywood celebrities who still has character and hasn't sold their soul to the business trying to please everyone.

the media slammed him for speaking out! 18.Sep.2003 14:46

anonymous

i completely agree. first of all, he insulted our current government, not our people. second, he lives in france because his wife lives there! third, we all know the media tries to make us think whatever they want. they twist everything around and brainwash us. and we fall for it. fourth, he is a brilliant actor, and, like you said, one of the few who hasn't sold his soul to hollywood so he could get more fans. no, he lats his brilliant performances do that, and still maintains his personal opinions. come on guys, don't be the same type of ignorant, brainwashed american he was particularly talking about!

Leave the poor hottie alone 18.Sep.2003 17:36

Johnny fan

Hey johnny depp appologized didnt he? Why is everyone hating on him, hes a good actor, good looking, and was just caught at a bad time .. and im sure EVERYONE has had that happened, lay off and just.. let him be who he wants, JOHNNY I LOVE YOU!!!!! : )

Johnny depp "dissin" america 19.Sep.2003 20:05

whooooooooooooooooooo

All of u ppl need to shut the fk up Johnny is the best hes better than all ya put toghter ChezzeBait wat the fk do u know dnt u dare diss johnny u probaly work at mcdonalds urself!!!!!!!!!!! johnny u rock !!!!!!!!!!! loved pirates of the caribbean savvy?

LOL 10.Oct.2003 04:39

AntiZionist hhh@yahoo.it

Johnny Depp apologizes for his anti-American sentiment, here is his statement:

READ before you talk. " I offer this most humble of apologies to my fellow Americans for telling the truth about their Empire" "Finally, I believe in and support America in our holy righteous DoubleplusGood Twilight Struggle against the forces of Terrorism and Evil on this planet, even though we are covertly sponsoring and supporting Al-Queda and bin Laden for the past 20 years dating back to the days of Nobel Peace Prize winner Jimmy Carter and his Afghan Trap. "
This is no apology, he's clearly taking the piss and accusing the US of being supporters of terrorism.
Kudos to Him.
Fuck the USA.

NEVER FEAR: he wasn't talking about you!! 19.Oct.2003 11:46

swimmerchik

grow up a little, and don't be so naive. Never fear- johnny depp really doesn't think your a dumb pupppy!!!

it is completely obvious that jd is talking about the u.s. foreign policy, not all the people living here. but i'm sure the media got a kick out of misplacing the word "government? or "bush administration", in hopes of causing mass chaos (i.e. selling copies).

as for the fact that he lives in france: despite our recent Francophobia epidemic, france really is a nice place. the culture is the same in some ways, esp. in the cities, but also different in many. just because you fall in love with an aspect (or a woman) of a certain country and have the bucks to get a home there, doesn't mean you are an anti-american. jd even said that he would have no problem moving back to america if the political climate changed, although added that since his home and kids are in france it wouldn't be anytime soon.

so, i say all you neoconservative, partiot-act-loving, bush worshipping, America-love-it-or-leave-it type people can wake up and realize that jd really doesn't hate YOU!!

listen... 16.Nov.2003 21:07

RaizMaiz

Johnny Depp=Sexy
America= Free country

Personally, i dissagree w/ johnny. I love America, but what i love about it MOST is that we VALUE FREEDOM OF SPEECH. ...or at least, we're suposed to... Whether you agree or disagree w/ Johnny is not the point. The point is that he, like a member or congress, or the janitor at McDonald's has the right to state his oppinion. Those of you who are so adamantly against what Johnny said, and speak of the greatness of the US, need to think about what is is that makes this country so great... freedom of speech.

leave him alone 19.Nov.2003 15:06

good good

who cares what Depp said he probably has more class than half of america. you think what he said was a big deal? everything in america is a big deal. becasue we make it a big deal... why dont americans stop worrying about america and start living their lives, get rid of the proud to be american and united we stand stickers. all in all we are a big stupid puppy sad to say but true freedom of speech.

Give Johnny A Break 08.Dec.2003 16:43

mariah decker

yo, he said sorry stop complaining it makes you sound like you hate him or somethi'n . you know what i'm say'n homes . do we love him or do we love him ? he has a right to his own opinion ya know . besides do we want him to hate us ? i know ilove him . i dont want him too hate us because of this . so are ya wit me ?

1928-739-4407
p.o. box 1158 Pinedale AZ 85934

quote from Johnny 23.Dec.2003 20:51

RaiZ MaiZ

sry itz me again, i already posted but i found this quote and thought it was relevant....

"I don't want to be The Messiah, or tell anyone what to do. I'm just as f**ked up as the next guy." ~JD

This man is not forcing his opinions on u! He doesnt think his opinions matter more than anyone else's!

DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA 16.Aug.2004 22:42

JESSICA

hello!! why r u guys so dramatic? leave johnny depp alone! i dont know if you guys are aware of this, but everyone should know that the media is always trying to create rumors and they love to twist things around. tabloids need stories, period. so why are you guys so gullible and dramatic about it. even if it's true, who really cares! it's his opinion! by believing that what he said is true is just proving that america really is dumb: full of gullible americans who believe anything they read or hear and criticise without knowing the whole story now with that being said, i wish johnny a happy life with his beautiful girlfriend and his two children, and a long successful acting career. ps: i love you johnny!!!!!!!!!

DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA 16.Aug.2004 23:16

JESSICA

why r u guys so dramatic? you guys are so gullible, why do you believe everything you hear or read. just leave johnny alone! i cant believe how stupid and melodramatic you guys are. i dont know if you guys are aware of this, but that's why tabloids are made, to twist words around and try to create drama. by believing everything we hear we are just proving that infamous comment right :america is full of gullible people who believe everything they hear or read and criticise it without knowing the whole story! that's how dumb we are! and you what?, if i'm wrong and he truly said that ,then what gives?, it's his opinion! let him be. and for all you patriotic people who were greatly offended by this comment: it's good to love your country but damn, calm down people. it's funny how after 9/11 many hang up signs "united we stand" but at the same time they were discriminating against any one who looked middle eastern. with all that said, i honestly wish johnny a happy life with his girlfriend and his two beautiful children. ps: i love you johnny!!, dont stop doing what your doing, ignore the haters.

freedom fries? how about a freedom Kiss? 29.Sep.2004 13:20

Banchee bancheebitch@hotmail.com

When I read Johnnys comment I was proud of him..
When I heard he appolagized I was really disappointed..
Then I read the appology...
Right on Johnny.... !
I was a fan of your acting before....
Now I am a fan of your soul!
Cori ...Canada

He is so on 19.Jul.2005 22:25

Joseph friend_of_dorothy2@yahoo.com

The USA under Bush has become a fascist theocracy with loads of hate filled "Christians," ha what a joke!! turning this country back to the
seventeeth century. My family roots go very far back and I feel that this country has many good people but the political climate is terrible and getting worse all the time. There is no hope for young people, the war is not going to end soon, Bush lied about it all, the economy sucks, houses are impossible to buy- the US is not a good place to be now. I am trying to move to Canada but it is not easy. If I had Depp's money, I would easily leave and not regret it but it is not simple for those of us not so wealthy.