newswire article commentary portland metro

police / legal

Portland Police Association asking for donations to "assist Officer Scott McCollister"

According to their website, you can go to any Key Bank to make a donation to Officer McCollister through the Portland Police Association Officer's Assistance Fund. Maybe we should let Key Bank know what we think about that.
I'm not kidding. Check out the PPA website at www.portlandpoliceassociation.com and see this for yourself. Then, if you're interested, click into the rap sheet, where you will be treated to an article by Sergeant Bob Gross entitled, "Responsibility for Shooting Lies with Kendra James." Referring to the tiny stature of Kendra James, Sergeant Gross says, "I know, from experience, that diminutive people often times put up the fiercest fight." Indeed. Well then, isn't it good that we have people like Officer McCollister to take down 90 pound women. You know, in case they get fierce.

The sergeant concludes, "The majority of the responsibility for the outcome of this incident should be placed where it belongs, on Kendra James."

Are they joking?

The entire rap sheet this month seems to be dedicated to exonerating Mr. McCollister in the murder of an unarmed woman, and the lies he told to excuse himself. My personal favorite is a column entitled, "Let's Talk" by Daryl Turner. The subtitle is, "Perfection an Unfair Standard." Mr. Turner decries the "punishment" meted out to Officer McCollister, calling demands for accountability for this crime "monday morning quarterbacking." He says the resulting suspension, "sends out a warning to officers of the Portland Police Bureau: You must be perfect in all your actions and tactics or the hammer will come down on you!"

I beg to differ. I think the intended message was more like, "You better be fucking sure before you pull out that loaded gun, you fucking asshole." Alas, though, it's been watered down to something closer to, "Open season on African American women, as long as you lie."

Later in the piece, Mr. Turner asks, "...is Scott McCollister a scapegoat for the City because it is harder to follow the less-traveled path, even though it may be the right one?" I have no idea what he's trying to say here, but it actually appears he's saying that murdering an unarmed person of color is the right path. Does it sound that way to you? Did I read that right?

Mr. Turner explains, "We all were hired as police officers to make tough, quick and good decisions in a matter of seconds. We are trained to deal with stressful, life-threatening situations and react as best we can and at the same time improvise and adapt in the process. Our training does not, however, prepare us for every possible situation. That is why we have such a rigid hiring process. Now we are told that on top of all that, you gotta be perfect!"

No, not perfect, just not lethal. The fact that he can dismiss a life cut down as if it were just a little mistake is worrisome, to say the least. After all, the Rap Sheet is the internal voice of the Portland Police Association. These are the people we give loaded guns to....
Right path 02.Sep.2003 22:45

anonymous

I think when he says "follow the less traveled path, even though it may be the right one," he is talking about simply being a cop. It sounds to me that he sees cops as a really select and noble group. It is a noble path to be a cop, but it is a path that is hard to follow.

If many in the Portland Police Bureau share the view of the writer, it is a sick organization, and they need emergency counseling right away. They have delusions of grandeur and nobility, a sense of mission that justifies all behavior... this is scary stuff.

Anyone who thinks a 5.5 month suspension is too much punishment for such a bumbling mistake that causes a death is obviously not connected to the real world. They are floating in their own fantasy world.

In any other industry, the person would be fired at the very least. In fact, their conscience would probably cause them to resign before they are fired. It sounds like McCollister and his supporters have no sense of responsibility, or shame. It is this fantasy of nobility that keeps them from seeing themselves clearly, seeing that they are a part of this community and not seperate.

Rigid hiring process? I don't know about the Portland Police Bureau, but I remember reading about a man who was rejected by a police department because he scored too high on a test. Yes, they didn't want him, because he was too smart.

I feel very sorry for the PPB, for Kroeker, and for Portland. This is just so sad.

Time to bag up some dog poop! 02.Sep.2003 23:59

bob

yep, time to bag up some dog poop to drop by Key Bank to make my donation!

Seriously, the PPA has no place undermining and circumventing bureau decisions. They should be forced to drop it.

tell them how you feel 03.Sep.2003 01:43

anti-copper

Here is the email address of the North East Precinct representitive to the PPA:

vpnortheast@portlandpoliceassociation.com

His name is Bob Foesch. Tell this jack ass how we all feel.

Full Text and Link 03.Sep.2003 04:40

Foo

See:  http://www.portlandpoliceassociation.com/Current/Feature1.htm

From the Portland Police Association "Rap Sheet." "Articles appearing under an author's byline do not necessarily represent the opinion of the PPA."

Responsibility for shooting lies with Kendra James

By Sergeant Bob Gross - Retired

Most people are familiar with the Kendra James incident. The Portland Police officers are white and James was black. The officer who fired the shot was immediately tried and convicted by the news media and the African American community. The officer has been branded a racist and a murderer.

The African American community calls every explanation that the police bureau puts forth a lie or a misrepresentation of the facts. I am tired of biased, closed-minded rhetoric from the African American community and the vocal minority, who constantly berate, and deride the police bureau.

It should be noted that the vocal minority I refer to is that small element of people in the City of Portland who constantly protest, disrupt and complain about the police bureau on anything its officers may become involved in.

The vocal minority will not accept any explanation that the police bureau gives them. The vocal minority will not look beyond the incident to see the overall picture; they only wish to blame government for anything that adversely affects them or the cause(s) they support. I was a police officer in the City of Portland for 30 years. A third of my career was spent working in the Albina neighborhood, in a uniform patrol car. I think this gives me some insight into what occurred on May 5, 2003.

The police profession is one of constant change and education. This process of learning does not occur over night; it takes time to become proficient in this very demanding and often times ostracized job. Police officers are inundated with enormous amounts of information during the academy training process. Developing street skills and dealing with people and their myriad problems takes time to refine. These skills are learned on the street and no amount of classroom training or role-playing can substitute for the real thing. Many situations, no matter how much you train for them, simply do not have a textbook outcome. Some situations end in tragedy.

Newly appointed officers completing probation are generally assigned to the afternoon or night shifts. In Portland, shift assignments are based on seniority. Senior officers have done their time on the night shifts, which are very hard physically as well as affecting an officer's family life. In spite of the vocal minority constantly referring to police officers as robots with a storm trooper mentality, police officers are human, they have feelings and they attempt to lead normal lives, just like everyone else.

The most egregious statement from Portland's African American community thus far is that white police officers intentionally stop black people for the purpose of killing them. This type of verbiage is an absolute lie. I have never met a police officer, white or otherwise, who would willingly put himself/herself, his/her family and his/her career in jeopardy knowing that the African American community and the news media will try to crucify them, just like they are doing to Officer McCollister. This type of ostrazation has become all too common in Portland. I was not on N. Skidmore St. during the early morning hours of May 5th. Neither were any of the zealous critics who refuse to open their minds and try to understand what actually happened.

The Portland Police Bureau has already laid out, very specifically, what occurred during the Kendra James shooting. The news media and African American community have criticized Officer McCollister for not following training when he entered the car to arrest Kendra James. I would like to give my explanation as to whyOfficer McCollister made the decision he did. I have never met, nor do I know anything about Officers McCollister, Bean or Reynolds, other then the information released by the police bureau. I know that all of the officers are white, in there 20's and each officer has about 2 years experience with PPB. Street experience played a major role in this incident.

There were three subjects in the car stopped by Officer Bean, who was the primary officer. At 2:30 in the morning safety issues come into play, which is why two additional officers responded to the stop location. Officer Bean knew Kendra James and he discovered she had a warrant for her arrest. Officer Bean verbally ordered James to exit the vehicle. Up to this point the situation was under control and done within bureau protocol.

Kendra James, not the officers, escalated the situation and level of response when she attempted to escape. At this point Officer McCollister entered the vehicle to arrest her. Why?

I'm positive that Officer McCollister regrets the decision he made that morning, but he had only a fraction of a second to make that decision. The way I see it, Officer McCollister had only two choices. One was to stand outside the car, yell commands, draw and point his weapon, and hope that Kendra James would do as she was ordered. If Kendra James ignored the verbal commands, which she had already done, then she would escape and a high-speed pursuit would ensue, endangering innocent civilians. The second choice was to open the driver's door and attempt to get a control hold on Kendra James and pull her from the car before she could drive away.

I have been in hundreds of physical confrontations. I would estimate that 99% of the people I have had to control were under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Drugs and alcohol make people irrational; people do things they probably wouldn't do when they are sober. If a person is in the "flight mode" they can be extremely aggressive in their attempt to escape, which makes them very dangerous. I know, from experience, that diminutive people often times put up the fiercest fight.

Kendra James was under the influence of drugs and she was in the "flight mode". When Officer McCollister entered the vehicle to control and arrest James he was met with a person he could not control. The continuum of force escalated rapidly and we know the outcome. Did the officers make mistakes? I believe they did, but not with malice and forethought.

The majority of the responsibility for the outcome of this incident should be placed where it belongs, on Kendra James. I believe that Officer McCollister did what he thought was the right thing to do at the time. Officer McCollister's actions during this incident do not make him a racist or a murderer; it makes him human, with faults, just like you and I.

We all need to learn from this unfortunate incident and move forward, instead of continually revisiting the past.

August 2003 - Vol 34 No. 8

Sergeant Bob Gross: Why Don't You Like Negroes? 03.Sep.2003 06:50

adili

All you need to read are the first and last paragraphs. In the first, Racist Negropath Sergeant Bob Gross thinks by "getting the race issue on the table" he's coming across as even-handed. Ain't so. In fact, it's a big red flag and I ain't talkin' about May Day in Moscow. In the last we read the terrified, mumbled mantra of whitey: "Let's not live in the past." This you may translate as "We're going to exculpate ourselves, and this is the excuse we're going to give to other white people so they won't have to feel bad about their racism."

Sergeant Bob Gross, please don't try to talk other white people out of feeling bad when black folks die. You've already got blood on your hands. Do you mean to add insult to injury by saying Kendra James' life was less important than some vile murderous pig sleeping nights?

to anonymous 03.Sep.2003 07:33

native

Hmmm. no, i don't think he was saying that the noble path is being a cop, i think he was, indeed, saying that shooting kendra james was the right path. if you read it in context, he asks whether mccollister's higher ups will be held to the same standards (shit! one would think so...is it too much to ask that people not be out there shooting us down in the streets?!). he asks about kroeker and other cops, whether they will be held to these standards, "OR is scott mccollister just a scapegoat...."

yes, i think he was actually saying mccollister took the right path by shooting kendra james. a freudian slip? i don't know, but this is some scary shit.

Yikes 03.Sep.2003 09:26

hiding under my bed

"The most egregious statement from Portland's African American community thus far is that white police officers intentionally stop black people for the purpose of killing them. This type of verbiage is an absolute lie. I have never met a police officer, white or otherwise, who would willingly put himself/herself, his/her family and his/her career in jeopardy knowing that the African American community and the news media will try to crucify them, just like they are doing to Officer McCollister"

...so the reason cops usually don't kill black people is because they're afraid of the media and a riot? Not because it's wrong? No denial of racism here.

Oregonian editorial page blue wash 04.Sep.2003 10:19

Duncan

All week, the Oregonian has been printing Letter of a vane that "Kroeker should have been dissmissed because he let scott mcollister be punished" I am not sure if this is a reflection of the letters they are getting, or their editorial slant. However it has the smell of an orginized campain by either the PPA or the PBA, although it could be simply that the majority of letter-to-the-editor-writing wack jobs think that its OK to shoot an unarmed fleeing person. I wrote a letter (ohh no, now I am a l letter-to-the-editor-writing wack job!) on on how I dont think that Mcollister should be allowed to own a firearm, much loss be a police officer, and that if Kendra James had been rich and/or white, Mcollister would be in jail. The more people write in, the better the chance our view has of seeing daylight in the Daily Zero.

You people need to get out more 04.Sep.2003 10:53

Kelley

Some of you commentators are the most racist people of all. "Whitey"? Please. Do you have any common sense? How did the officer know whether she was armed or not? How about the others in the car? Did they have knives or guns? Evidently, the officer panicked when she refused to cooperate and became violent. That's tragic. I'm sure this officer is haunted by his mistake. Who wouldn't be? Last time I looked, 'whitey' was human, too. And for those of you who have psychic abilities that magically get you into the young man's mind to baselessly judge him as 'racist' and remorseless, I'm sure glad we have better people than you patrolling the streets and looking out for the general welfare.

To Kelley 04.Sep.2003 12:23

CatWoman

In point of fact, Officer McCollister had no way of knowing whether Kendra James was armed or not, other than the fact that she was not presently threatening him with any visible weapon. Just as he has no way of knowing whether you or I are armed, or anyone else on the street. And your point is...what? That he has the right to shoot us all, because we MIGHT be carrying weapons? Although I'm no gun nut by any means, I do remember something about a right to keep and bear arms in the 2nd amendment. Do you? I think the intent of that amendment was to keep the state's minions from abusing their authority over the people. Something the Portland Police Bureau has plainly been doing with a vengeance lately, but that's another story. The long and short of it is, Kendra James had no weapons, and your comments are a ploy to detract from the seriousness of the crime committed by Mr. McCollister.

As for adili's comment regarding "whitey," read the article to which s/he was referring. You don't see a racist slant there? Please. Sergeant Gross couldn't have spelled it out more clearly if he'd had a sheet on his head. Who knows, maybe he does.

Finally, the jails are full of people who feel bad about what they did. Not to mention people who never hurt anyone. The point is, Officer McCollister, however he feels about it, shot and killed an unarmed woman and faces virtually no consequences for it. There's a man in prison right now, facing 22 years behind bars, for vandalizing two unoccupied SUVs. People have been beaten by the police and gone to jail in this town for jaywalking. The corporate media called for the blood of people breaking windows in this city. Yet this man shoots a woman down in cold blood, and you think he deserves to remain on the streets in a cop uniform with a gun on his hip? Tell me that's justice.

All right, one more thing. You stated, "I'm sure glad we have better people than you patrolling the streets and looking out for the general welfare." If this is your idea of general welfare, you must live in a different part of town than the rest of us. I'm sure you would feel differently if Kendra James were your daughter, your sister, your friend. Many people do, in fact, feel differently. Perhaps you will too, when it's you who is pulled over on a dark street corner in the middle of the night.

Everyone, please make a ONE PENNY donation at your local Key Bank 04.Sep.2003 12:31

Jim

I suggest that everyone who questions the ethics of the Key Bank fund make a 1 penny donation to the fund. I don't know how much it costs Key Bank to process each deposit, but this might get their attention

RE to Kelly 04.Sep.2003 14:46

Duncan

You said

I say:
Shooting an unarmed woman is a travesty, and if he made a mistake why should he not suffer the consequences. When I have made mistakes in the past on the job (none of which resulted in someone DYING), I was fired. His job was to protect and to serve, he failed he should go. He also showed himself incapable of handling a gun appropriately, so he should have his right to possess a wepon revoked. His poor choices (ie negligent behavior) caused the unintenended death of a person, so he should be charged with negligent homicide.

Im not saying that Ofc Mcollister is racist (although there appears to be some evidance to support that claim) I am saying the whole system is racist, that poor people's lives are not as valued as rich peoples lives. And that Kelley is the real tragedy.

His job 04.Sep.2003 15:32

...

"His job was to protect and to serve" His job is also to take a person into custody whom he knows to have warrants for her arrest...If that person chooses to fight, it's call resisting. There is a continuum of force which is used to overcome that resistance and he abided by that continuum. "Shooting an unarmed woman is a travesty." Yes it is. However, she was armed with a 2,500 plus pound car...That is a dangerous weapon... I know most people reading this will laugh or discount what is written. However, I feel that if it educates one person, that is better than nothing...As for everyone else...I guess I can't reason with unreasonable people...

To Kelley 04.Sep.2003 15:49

anonymous

If he felt bad about what he did, he would take his suspension quietly. He might be grateful that it wasn't more harsh, yet feel guilty that it wasn't.

This doesn't seem to be the case, however.

Keeping your job and suffering only 5 and a half months suspension is such a small, small thing compared to the death suffered by Kendra James.

The car 04.Sep.2003 16:19

Duncan

The car was only a danger to the policeman because he tried to climb in it. Having been in a few physical situations myself (although I am not a police officer) I know that you never extend yourself into situation you cant control. By reaching into the car for the keys he put himself in a really bad situation, and had Kendra James really intended him harm she could have done so. I wonder if a protestor walked in front of a police car during a semonstration and been hit, would you view that as an "assault with a deadly wepon?".

If he had simply let her drive off then asked the driver (who was incustody at that point) where she lived, she could have been picked up later in a controlled situation. He escelated a dangerous situation and he allowed to become deadly. Just because Ms. James made a bad choice dosnt mean that she should be dead. You are also treating this incident like it happened in a vaccum. Portland has a Police Department that needs to change. We, the residents of the city who pay the taxes that pay their salaries ought to expect a higher level of proffesionalism then Ofc. McOllister displayed. We need to raise the bar. Look its not like the only people who are calling for change are left-wingers. Some pretty centrist organizations are on record saying that PPD needs to open up.

Re The Car 04.Sep.2003 19:04

...

The only person who escalated anything was Kendra James. She knew it was the officer's job to take her into custody because he is required, by law, to do so. Had she been compliant she would have gone to jail and been out within a couple of days.

What if he had simply let her drive off? Then what. They could have gone to her house where officers have no clue what's inside. Maybe she has access to guns, or maybe her family would have become involved causing yet another bad situation. What kind of a message does that send to people that have warrants for their arrest? "Well, if I put up a big fight the police will just let me go and I can go commit more crimes...Kendra James did it." If she was going to fight there in the car, she would fight anywhere.

As for your question about the protestor walking in front of a police car. No, I wouldn't consider that assault usless the driver hit the protestor intentionally. The protestor also has no business being in the street. Officer McCollister had business in that car. It was to arrest someone who had warrants.

An officer's job may be to "protect and serve". Protecting himself falls into that category too. Along with the protecting and the serving come several other duties officers have to do. Enforcing laws is one of those. That's what Officer McCollister was doing.

to officer ... 05.Sep.2003 06:46

native

You gotta be kidding, buddy. "Educate" one person? You? You're basically saying, here, that the police officer was justified in killing an unarmed woman because, well, she had a car. And a car could be used as a weapon, because it's really heavy. But if a cop were driving the car, then it isn't a weapon, because the cop has a good reason to be in the car. Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Tell that to the people who the cops drove into after they'd been blinded by pepper spray last summer. I know, in your world the cops are always right, and the protesters must have done something to deserve it, but you're wrong. Educate yourself.

And you spin a long, convoluted, scary tale of "what if he hadn't shot her, cuz then he mighta gone to her house, and there mighta been drugs, and they mighta killed him." Oh yeh, buddy. You're right. Good thing he shot her then. Maybe he should just shoot anyone he encounters, because then nothing like that will ever happen.

As for your "continuum of force which is used to overcome resistance," holy shit! Is this what they're teaching you at police academy now? What are you, a borg? Yes, there's always a continuum of force used to overcome resistance. Violence is the ultimate foundation of any political order, as the saying goes. Indeed, any bully is gonna use escalating force to get his way and overcome your resistance. And you're saying this is good with you? What if the resistance were yours? What if they showed up at your door, maybe because they didn't like something you said about the president or something? Then can they kill you to overcome your resistance?

Please. You make no sense. We don't give the police the authority to kill us if we resist their "authority." Yeh, they can arrest us, they can even beat us up. But if we're running away from them, and we are not threatening them or anyone else, then they do NOT have the authority to kill us. Alas, they only think they do, and that's the danger.

Officer ... you're really straining here to justify an unjustifiable killing. See it for what it is; a pathetic attempt for you to reify your comfortable little model of the world. Persist if you must, but don't come off trying to "educate" anyone. Clearly, you're not qualified to do so.

Native 05.Sep.2003 08:57

...

"You're basically saying, here, that the police officer was justified in killing an unarmed woman because, well, she had a car. And a car could be used as a weapon, because it's really heavy."

161.015 General definitions. As used in chapter 743, Oregon Laws 1971, and ORS 166.635, unless the context requires otherwise:

(1) "Dangerous weapon" means any weapon, device, instrument, material or substance which under the circumstances in which it is used, attempted to be used or threatened to be used, is readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury.

i.e. The car

(3) "Deadly physical force" means physical force that under the circumstances in which it is used is readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury.

i.e. Her foot on the gas pedal with an officer partially in the car attempting to do his job and arrest her.

162.315 Resisting arrest. (1) A person commits the crime of resisting arrest if the person intentionally resists a person known by the person to be a peace officer in making an arrest.

(2) As used in this section:

(a) "Arrest" has the meaning given that term in ORS 133.005 and includes, but is not limited to, the booking process.

(b) "Resists" means the use or threatened use of violence, physical force or any other means that creates a substantial risk of physical injury to any person and includes, but is not limited to, behavior clearly intended to prevent being taken into custody by overcoming the actions of the arresting officer. The behavior does not have to result in actual physical injury to an officer. Passive resistance does not constitute behavior intended to prevent being taken into custody.

(3) It is no defense to a prosecution under this section that the peace officer lacked legal authority to make the arrest or book the person, provided the peace officer was acting under color of official authority.

i.e. What she did to escalate the situation.

More from retired PPB officer Bob Gross 05.Sep.2003 09:55

Foo

Letter to the editor, from today's Oregonian, see:  http://www.oregonlive.com/letters/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/editorial/1062776294259850.xml

Police will be demoralized - 09/05/03

I was a police officer in Portland for 30 years. Like many of you, I was caught off guard by the reportedly forced resignation of Police Chief Mark Kroeker. The vocal minority has finally won the battle to espouse its belief that the Police Bureau is racist, corrupt and populated by thugs who prey on innocent civilians.

The new chief, Derrick Foxworth, will be little more than window dressing to appease the community. The mayor will direct Foxworth to implement new policies and procedures. Officers will be closely scrutinized and disciplined if a perceived violation has occurred -- compliance through intimidation.

The police bureau will be demoralized, but officers will do as they are ordered. Officers will pull back and do only what is necessary to stay out of trouble. Without the support of the mayor's office, there is absolutely no reason for a police officer to put his/her life on the line. All categories of crime will increase, and the safety of Portland's streets will be in doubt.

ROBERT J. GROSS Oregon City

What's are the Real Problems Facing PPD? 05.Sep.2003 13:07

someone

This has been a very one sided discussion assuming that the entire PPD is racist, gun happy drones. Obviously the PPD needs fundamental institutional changes as noted in the various reports coming out. But few have asked the cops what they think should change. If any of the activists on this forum had to spend time doing what the cops much face daily, they might have a different impression of reality. The Kendra James shooting cannot easily be evaluated in an objective way. How do you know how you would react faced with a similar circumstance? I'm sure it is difficult to enforcethe law, while protecting the suspect and yourself all at once, with often split seconds to make decisions. Everyone also assumes that McHollister is not affected by the shooting death as he must be a racist and actually thought this was the right thing to do. Think again. This problem can only be solved by fixing what's broken and asking those in the job to be empowered enough to change what they see are the problems. The activists are justified in their anger, but they don't know the whole story.

to someone, and then ... 05.Sep.2003 16:46

native

someone: read the posts again, and read the rap sheet to which they are referring. the assumptions people are making are, in fact, based on what the officers themselves had to say about this incident. the rap sheet is the internal dialogue that the police union has with itself. it IS what they think. and if you read the articles, you will note that they, themselves, feel mr. mccollister did the right thing. So you think again.

no one has asked them what they think? please. why do you think kroeker is finally gone? it surely isn't because vera finally got a dose of common sense after all this time. no, it's because the officers on the street are pissed that the murderer got a little suspension.

as for you, ... , yeh, i can read the statutes too. and you're really stretching it. you completely fail to address the lapses of logic or consistency in your original post that prompted me to respond to you in the first place. Like, a car is a weapon if an unarmed 90 pound woman is driving it, but it's not a weapon if a cop is driving it. ...even if the cop is recklessly driving it into the crowd.

yes officer, in your world the cops are always right and the citizens are wrong unless they're buying tickets to the policeman's ball. that's the problem.

i'd like to say more to you, but i really don't have the time right now. for anyone else reading this string, though, i encourage you to check out the oregon revised statutes for yourself. it really is eye-opening. check out how the police are specifically exempted from most of the laws foisted on the rest of us. interesting...isn't it.

PS to ... 06.Sep.2003 09:33

"you people"

And ORS 166.635 regards throwing things at trains.

to the !!!! person 07.Sep.2003 18:48

you're so excited, but not productive

Actually, it IS a race issue. Read what the police themselves have to say about it. Or just ask the African American community. This is a very heated racial issue. If you can't see that you're either a white apologist or you have your head up your...I mean, you may be uninformed.

As for the "right to protect other citizens," how protected do you feel? First, they shot a woman as she was driving away. If she had lived, she would simply have driven home and been picked up there because they knew her address. Shooting her just put anyone in the vicinity in jeopordy, because as any idiot knows, a dead woman can't drive very well. Second, their trigger happiness doesn't make anyone safer. ...that is, unless you are willing to concede that you, as a white person, are safer.

all right, where did the !!! comment go? 08.Sep.2003 10:14

c'mon

I read that comment, and while it wasn't very intelligent, I don't see how it merited composting. I mean, if it was in my house or something, then yeh, I'da thrown it out with the trash. But sometimes comments like these lead to important dialogue. And when they get composted, then the dialogue is silenced and the thread gets really confusing because no one knows what subsequent posts are about.

I'm in support of the whole composting policy, but it is definitely being overused. We need to re-think this. I thought the point was to remove disruptive things, repetitive things, and things that are so outrageously assinine that there can be no legitimate use for them other than compost. Like the one where the person was laughing at someone who fell from a tree. That was compost. Or if someone writes 35 posts about how anyone who isn't white should be interned or something. All right, maybe even one post like that, but then again, maybe not. The point is, we don't need to be protected from right wing viewpoints. On the contrary, we sharpen our teeth on them. As I said, great dialogue can be generated from honest conversation and rebuttals to the occasional troll. It's only when they become extraordinarily numerous and distracting that they should be removed.

That's Right 10.Sep.2003 20:01

Big Daddy

Yes, it's true, and the donations are right on track to supercede the amount of money he would be losing to this ridiculous suspension.
So, it looks as though he gets a 5 and 1/2 month paid vacation, and his job waiting for him when he comes back.
Looks like it made the Albina Ministers look like the racist ignorant bafoons dat day arr.
See you in a few months Scott, and keep up the work on the golf swing .

Lack of Education 28.Oct.2003 02:31

Educated

I feel that there is a brutal lack of education and research on the part of this writer. If you would have the time you might want to look up a little thing the police association calls "THE USE OF FORCE CONTINUUM". It's, in short, a rule that officers are allowed to use one step above the offending citizen. ie. to a citizen punching: officer an asp. In this case Ms. James was using a vehicle, anyone ever heard of vehicular homicide? Vehicles are and can be defined as dangerous weapons, Officer McCallister was in the right using one step above what Ms. James did, a deadly weapon.

In addition if Ms. James had been white, I guarantee the same exact accounts would have happened, well except the protesting of course. Ms. James did not listen and cooperate with officer McCallister on that night. Unfortunately she is no longer with us. I do believe it was not Officer McCallister's intent to kill someone in the line of duty when he went to work that day, but he does have to go home with it every day.

It is important to educate the public on how the officers are trained. I had someone ask me, "Why didn't he shoot her in the leg or fire a warning shot?" To me this is pure ignorance on the behalf of our community. Officers are trained to shoot center of mass, and a warning shot, come on. Had there been less than leathal arms in his possession Officer McCallister would have probably chosen to do so, he didn't have that option within the means of time this incident took place. In other words, time was of the essence. Education is the key to understanding. I have read many articles dealing with this incident and there are only a few that play devil's advocate on both sides and enable you to form your own opinion, obviously this was not one. We learn from opening our eyes and ears to many aspects of one story, this author did not do so.