newswire article reporting oregon & cascadia

police / legal a21 bush protests

Pictures of when the Piggies attacked Columbia Park

suuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee
Officer
Officer "Way too cool for you"
This is officer welp drinkin his happy juice
This is officer welp drinkin his happy juice
If only the walk signal man had riot gear on...
If only the walk signal man had riot gear on...
the riot cops leave...but its a trick!
the riot cops leave...but its a trick!
by bike cops..we'll miss you!
by bike cops..we'll miss you!
ooh crap...no we wont...
ooh crap...no we wont...
anarchist playground
anarchist playground
are the piggies cute when they are being bastards?
are the piggies cute when they are being bastards?
i smell bacon
i smell bacon
a vegan's nightmare...when bacon takes the streets
a vegan's nightmare...when bacon takes the streets
these aren't in order...but you'll get the jist...

realize, rebel, revolutionize,
ho hum 24.Aug.2003 01:00

goretex

Pretty lame pictures. Maybe if you'd moved across the street to where the action was for a decent close-up. But then you wouldn't be at such as safe distance, would you? You won't revolutionize anything being a weenie.

What attack? 24.Aug.2003 09:22

Weenie Roaster

Your pics show plenty of cops standing around with their arms folded, but don't show much else. . . . . . .Jeez . .. I'll bet you run from bunnies . . . . .

Bad Boys 24.Aug.2003 10:09

Mother Superior

goretex and Weenie Roaster: Your comments are mean spirited and nasty.You need to apologize for your rudeness,then go to your rooms and think about what you have said.By the way,where are the pics that you shot at the protest?Yeah,that's what I thought!

OK, Mother Uppity . . . . . 24.Aug.2003 11:49

Weenie Roaster . .

Which one of these pictures shows any violence against anybody? Facts aren't mean spirited, they are just facts, and these
pictures don't show any violence at all. None.

BE NICE! 24.Aug.2003 12:16

Mother Superior

Roaster: Okay so maybe the headline should have read "When the Piggies converged ...."
But certainly you have to agree that the THREATof violence by the cops was captured in the pics just by the sheer number of bike and and riot goons that can be seen.Their entire purpose is to intimidate! I just don't understand why you feel the need to be nasty to a person who took the time to show up at the demo,take pictures and post them on Indy.Personally,I appreciate any and all photos that are on this site to be viewed since I was not able to be at all places at all times to see what was going on.Again,I ask,where are the pictures you took?Would love to see them,please share them with us.

It's not just the intimidation 24.Aug.2003 13:25

distant one

First of all, right on to both the original poster and Mother Superior. Being far too many states away from Oregon I'm glad to see any and all pictures that were posted so I can have as many different perspectives on what went on Thursday as possible.

That brings me to the second point, which is that it's not just whether or not the cops were being violent in the park. To me it's the simple idea that they cleared out such a clearly public gathering space as a park -- violently or not -- that is disturbing. In a sense, it's a far more ominous sign of the erosion of our democratic principles than stormtroopers beating whalloping folks in the middle of a street might be. As horrifying as that could be and has been in the past, there is at least a modicum of a justification for clearing out a street, such as helping traffic flow. Of course, I believe that dissent trumps everyday business -- particularly traffic flow -- but at least there's some logic behind it. The idea of clearing out a park, where protesters were likely resting, discussing the protest, or just socializing is obnoxius. I find it hard to believe any similar logic could be attributed to that.

Dissent is not about being as bad-ass as you can be. It's about a) calling attention to a fucked up situation and b)working to change that fucked up situation. It is not about getting in dangerous situations simply for the sake of not being a whimp. Therefore, Blind Epiphany's decision to take pictures without risking his or her sense of security is something to be praised, not belittled. The immature little postings of goretex and Weenie Roaster suggest that the two of them don't have radically (or even modestly) different outlooks on the world than the cowboy politics of pro-war folks and capitalists who seem to see the world as a place where only the coolest, bravest, and most macho are revered as heroes, while the contemplative, thoughtful, and rational are dismissed as boring sissies or chicken or what-have-you. It's this idolization of the "hard-core" that reproduces the external hiearchies we are attempting to dismantle. And, come to think of it, it sounds rather patriarchal too.

-Bill

ho hum again 24.Aug.2003 15:51

goretex

To Mother Superior and distant one: thanks for your comments, especially the thoughtful ones.

Mother Superior, I was in the park. Why do you think I need to show you any pictures in order to express my opinions? Should you be required to show yours in order to comment on my opinions or behavior? Still, others bothered to go into the park, take pictures, and publish them here.

distant one, you infer much on little data. Do you think that maturity should be guaged by how far one can leap to a conclusion?

Finally, I wasn't calling Blind Epiphany a chicken. I was taking issue with Blind Epiphany's attitude--too cocky for the distance I think. While I should thank Blind Epiphany for the pictures, others made more insightful comments.

to roaster and Gortex 24.Aug.2003 17:51

Arch lobo

The voilence was done to the rights of the people. It's hard to capture that on camera.

The officers moved quickly. They cleared the intimidated everyone into moving into the park.
Then they decided to pepper spray someone. I got the colatteral damage from that.
They arrested one guy.
Then they knocked a girl to the ground on the grass, in the park. She had apperantly done nothing wrong. The "peace officers" dragged her into the street, wrecklessly engangering her well being. They then slammed her into a van, giving her a black eye.

If any of you are witnesses to what happened, please contact Allen Graf.

goretex, just relax,its okay,really 24.Aug.2003 19:57

Mother Superior

Man,goretex you are really angry aren't you.Please,calm down and take a few deep breathes before you continue on reading what I have to say.First, I was NOT implyiny that you needed to post any pictures in order to express your opinions.Indy Media is here to allow everyone to state their views.This is not a case of "show me yours and I'll show you mine."I was merely stating that IF you had any pictures to share,then please post them for everyone to see.Meanwhile,we should not be critical of those that did take the time to take photos and put them up on the board.Personally,I do not have any pics, I was running late and left the house with my camera still lying on the bed.I want to thank everyone who posted their pictures on this board.Now,goretex,maybe you can do a little work on your anger and attitude problem :-)

Am I angry? 24.Aug.2003 21:17

goretex

Mother Superior wrote, "By the way, where are the pics that you shot at the protest? Yeah,that's what I thought!" The she wrote, ""I was merely stating that IF you had any pictures to share, then please post them for everyone to see." I read those sentences a bit differently from each other.

No, I'm not angry.

Not Above An Apology 24.Aug.2003 22:04

Mother Superior

goretex - Okay -maybe in my first post I too was a little angry that a couple of people -guys?- had lashed out at someone who was only trying to be helpful by sharing his photos with the rest of us.Even Mother Superior is not above saying she is sorry ..... Sorry!I'm glad to hear that you are not angry ..... but what exactly do you call it then?Remember to keep breathing ....

OK 24.Aug.2003 22:23

goretex

Fair assessment--I did lash out. I was reacting to what I felt was "all attitude, no substance". It seemed that there was a lot of post-event bravado from someone who wasn't quite there at the time.

It would have been better for me to challenge Blind Epiphany to get closer next time, but in a friendlier way. For the most part, it was pretty safe, but a little confusing, in the park. It also was very easy to get from Blind Epiphany's vantage point into and out of the park at the time that the pictures were taken. I know because I was there and did exactly that.

Still, the posturing in the captions was pretty empty. Again, encouragement instead of attack would have been a better tactic on my part. I stand behind the intent of my original message but acknowledge that the presentation was not constructive.

Think You Can Come Out Of Your Room Now 24.Aug.2003 22:36

Mother Superior

goretex- Fantastic-now can we all agree to get along with one another and be friends?

camera angles 25.Aug.2003 00:08

Blind Epiphany

Looks as if I must explain the technicalities of the situation...my camera is a piece of shit digital camera where there is a screen that cannot be seen during the day so these pictures were shot hoping to catch something...not knowing if i was taking what i intended...I didn't get across the road because... REMEMBER THE BLOCKADE?! I couldn't...the majority over there were trapped...why put myself in a situation where I didn't feel comfortable...that day I didn't feel my point got across and that everyone was disorganized...is it revolutionay to get your ass kicked? There are many different roles that must be played in a successful protest and documentation is one of them....yes, these aren't the best pictures but maybe they will help someone and give people a perspective from across the street.

realize, rebel, revolutionize

Come Together 25.Aug.2003 08:23

Mother Superior

Blind Epiphany - Hey no need to beat yourself up-apologize or explain anything here.What you did was thoughtful and nice-again thank you for sharing a little piece of "your day at the demo" with everyone.We need to start being more tolerant and less judgemental of one another if we ever expect to get this movement in a strong-forward motion.At times we are our own worse enemy-we do not need the cops-FBI-Homeland Security-or any other government agency/political party/corporate media to sabatoge us-we do a pretty good job of that amongst ourselves.If everyone would just give what they can-take what they need and leave the rest-then we might just be heading in the right direction.Even goretex had the civilities to pull back somewhat from his original post.However-we are still waiting to hear from Weenie Roaster....... How about it Roaster-can you admit your words may have been a tad offensive?