portland independent media center  
images audio video
newswire article reporting oregon & cascadia

alternative media | government a21 bush protests

Protesters salute the Commander and Chief in Portland on Thursday.

President Bush leaving North Portland after 500 supporter pay $2000 each to hear a short speech and eat lunch.
2000 to 3000 protester sent the President a message he will not soon forget.

Numbers Confirmation, Please 23.Aug.2003 02:07


This is not to dispute the article's author, but can someone post the media reports? I'm out of range of the PDX media "market".

In my view, the kind of number differences between tax-cut kick-back donors paying to suck in dim son's foul breath and those of us outside the fence in the sunshine, yesterday, should be exploited, if favorable, if only in some letter to the editor.

Also, what are the reports of his "take" and what it cost the workers through local governments (and if reimbursable from the fed treasury, what it cost the workers nationwide/worldwide) to protect the war criminal litter runt's sorry ass? Maybe that can be brought up in a letter to the editor, if propagandistically favorable, too.

Greetings and appreciation to all the skeptics--in hues of genetics and ideology from pink to black--who made the assembly of the people on Thursday!

Never quit!!

Abacus: Numbers per corporate$media: 23.Aug.2003 13:06

Pink Emma

Here are the numbers according to the corporate$media:
- 3000 according to the Portland Tribune
- 3500 according to night-of reports from two TV news channels (KATU-2 and KG2-6)
- KOIN simply said "thousands"
- Oregonian did not even hazard a guess
As a member of the crowd, I would not begin to venture a guess. We could tell we were a huge crowd, but we were so spread out, in a residential neighborhood, that a person could easily guess anything from 1500 to 5000.
Links to corporate$media stories:
KATU guessed 3500. KATU report:
KATU Photo: "Save Our Country - Throw the Greedy Thieving Son of a Bush Out"
KGW also said 3500. KGW report:
 link to www.kgw.com
KGW photo: "Anti-Bush protesters demonstrate outside Bush fundraiser at UP"
KOIN simply said "thousands." KOIN report:
Oregonian did not hazard a guess. Oregonian article:
 link to www.oregonlive.com
Portland Tribune guessed 3000. Tribune Article:
Tribune Photo: "Protesters Facing Riot Cops"
Here's the text of the Tribune article - for what it's worth.

Bush: Mission Accomplished
Police: Wily plan saves the day.
Protesters: Most kept their cool.
Neighbors: Where are our cars?

Portland Tribune, Friday, August 22, 2003

Portland police organized a formidable display of security and defense in preparation for President Bush's visit to the University of Portland, and this time it worked like a charm.

An estimated 3,000 boisterous but well-behaved demonstrators everyone from middle-aged parents to young students gathered in the hot midday sun outside the Chiles Center and protested Thursday for several hours, largely without incident.

The scene was drastically different from last Aug. 22, when violence broke out as a crowd of about 1,300 protesters circled the downtown Hilton Portland for a President Bush fund-raiser. Many were pepper-sprayed, and a handful were arrested by police.

This time, law enforcement personnel from seven agencies planned for several weeks for the event. Hundreds of police officers displayed a fortresslike presence, patrolling the perimeters of the private university on motorcycle, bicycle, horse and ATV and wearing riot gear designed to intimidate. They used an 8-foot-high chain-link fence to keep protesters outside the high-security zone, and at least four people were arrested.

There also was some strategic sleight of hand performed by law enforcement officials. The Secret Service had four possible routes for the presidential motorcade that traveled from the Oregon Air National Guard off North Columbia Boulevard to the campus. The exact route, other than the fact that the last leg to the campus was on North Portsmouth Avenue, was still a secret late Thursday.

Plus, protesters never caught a glimpse of the man vilified with shouts and signs as he was driven to the event in one of two limousines with darkly tinted windows.

Protesters also said they were going to try to stop many of the 500 people who attended the $2,000-per-plate event. Cleverly, however, the donors took a back route and arrived virtually unseen by most protesters as they traveled on charter buses from Memorial Coliseum across the Fremont Bridge, down U.S. Highway 30 and back across the Willamette River on the newly reopened St. Johns Bridge.

"It was extremely well-organized and -planned on the part of the police bureau," said Mayor Vera Katz, who spent the day monitoring events from the 911 dispatch center.

"The resources were there when they were needed. For the most part the protesters were there to make their point on both sides of the political spectrum."

Katz said she had worried about worst-case scenarios and property damage to the neighborhood but after discussions with police was "very comfortable" with the plans.

Former U.S. Sen. Mark Hatfield, who was among the 500 people who attended the $2,000-per-plate event at the university's gymnasium, marveled at the planning. "It's a shame we need this much police protection to exercise our free speech rights," Hatfield said. "I'm amazed by how good they can make a gym look."

It wasn't completely incident-free. An American flag was burned in the middle of the crowd, someone shot off firecrackers, and at several points a group of anarchists clad in black bandannas branched off the main crowd.

"We feel like anytime you have the level of negative contact with protesters that we've had, they were able to come and express themselves, and we were able to make sure that their mission was accomplished," said Portland police spokesman Sgt. Brian Schmautz.

He said law enforcement officers accomplished their mission as well because there were no reports of vandalism or injuries.

By 1 p.m., the crowd began to dissipate, but 50 to 100 protesters remained in and around Columbia Park. Police closed the park and ordered everyone to disperse, and several were arrested as the smell of pepper spray hung in the air.

It was one of the only contentious moments of the day.


"It was very nicely done. I think they did a great job of getting us in here," said Roger Thomas, a businessman who attended the lunch in the Chiles Center. "They did a first-class job, and this is a first-class event. It's very impressive. I hope Portland can be proud of itself instead of looking like a radical city."

Protesters generally appeared to be in a spirited mood, too, but unlike those inside they were beating drums, wearing colorful outfits and holding signs with slogans such as: "Bush: Evildoer" and "Reelect Gore in 2004."

Protesters said their messages were conveyed.

"It will hopefully demonstrate to the public through the media that there is a huge, huge section of society following an opposition to Bush and everything he stands for," said Den Mark Wicher, a retired teacher from Vancouver, Wash., who attended as an observer for the National Lawyers Guild.

"Hopefully it will demonstrate to Bush that he was not welcome here, but he doesn't care. We badly need to come together out of solidarity."

Some of the loudest complaints came from neighbors, who say their lives were turned upside-down by the event.

Todd Bruce, who lives at the corner of North Portsmouth Avenue and Princeton Street, said his neighborhood resembled a police state Thursday morning, with a bomb squad, a hazmat squad, armored personnel carriers and even TriMet buses filled with police in reserve.

Bruce said he was afraid protesters would harm his home and his neighbors. The night before, he cleared a piece of broken concrete in front of his elderly neighbors' home to thwart the possibility of angry protesters using it as a missile.

Other neighborhood residents complained of having their cars towed.


"Suffice to say, many of the people on this street, myself included, are quite irate," said Don Elliott, a North Portsmouth resident who woke up to find his car gone Thursday morning. "I still don't know where my car is, nor how much it is going to cost me to get it back."

Elliott said he was unaware of "no parking" warnings by police because he had been out of town. At first he thought his car was stolen, then realized it was probably towed for Bush's visit.

"We are irritated that simply because Bush wants to have a lunch for his own private gains, we now have to find a way to get to work without our cars and most likely pay close to $100 each just to get them back."

Mary Volm, a spokeswoman for the Portland Department of Transportation, said the cars were towed by the police, not her department.

Residents must be notified 24 hours in advance if their car is going to be towed, she said, but in this case, the earliest maintenance workers could place barricades with "no parking" signs on the streets was early Wednesday morning 20 hours in advance of the event.

"I think those residents probably do have the right to be angry," Volm said.

Janet Penner, a longtime Portsmouth resident, said she was furious at police for allowing the event to happen at the university. She was out of town until this week and only found out about the event through a flier at her door.

Police had taped off a three-block area from North Willamette Boulevard to the intersection of Lombard Street and Portsmouth Avenue. Only residents could access the areas. For others, the only access was via North Stanford Avenue or other surrounding streets.

Police said they did the best they could to prepare the community by notifying residents via an automated phone system Wednesday night as well as a door-to-door canvass this week.

"I don't think we had any control over or had anything to do with the decision-making process to use U of P," Schmautz said.

"Technically, the (White House) advance team gets ahold of us and says this is what were going to do, this is where were going to go, and we develop plans to accommodate that. I don't know that we can make any decision about where they go or what they do."

The isolated location of the university had its drawback, Schmautz said, but proved to be a plus for law enforcement personnel.

Downtown businesses didn't need to worry about property damage as they did last year, and protesters complained that North Portland wasn't as easy to reach as downtown.

Plus, since the campus is private property, police had more latitude in controlling access. However, major problems could have ensued if any entrance to the Chiles Center became blocked.


The city is one stop on an aggressive fund-raising schedule this summer for Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. Since June 20, the two have scheduled 36 fund-raising events.

It was Bush's third visit to Portland in the last 19 months, part of his campaign strategy of concentrating on smaller states where the vote was close in 2000. Bush lost to Gore in Oregon by 6,765 votes.

Bush gave a campaign-style speech that touched on many of his administration's initiatives over the past two years. He briefly addressed Oregon issues, concentrating instead on the war on terrorism, the economy, health care and education.

Regarding Oregon, Bush said he'd continue to promote logging in the state's forests. "We will do everything we can to thin out the forest beds to prevent the catastrophic forest fires that have plagued the West," he said.

The president further touched on Oregon's struggling economy. "I understand a lot of people are hurting in the state of Oregon," he said. "Unemployment is too high. I'll try to make conditions for job creation for as long as anybody is looking for work."

“Throw the Greedy Thieving Son of a Bush Out” - KATU Photo (not their caption)
“Throw the Greedy Thieving Son of a Bush Out” - KATU Photo (not their caption)
Anti-Bush protesters demonstrate outside Bush fundraiser at UP (KGW Photo)
Anti-Bush protesters demonstrate outside Bush fundraiser at UP (KGW Photo)
 “Protesters Facing Riot Cops” - Ptld Tribune Photo (not their caption)
“Protesters Facing Riot Cops” - Ptld Tribune Photo (not their caption)

correction 23.Aug.2003 13:21

Pink Emma

P.S. Oops - correction:

Here are the numbers according to the corporate$media:
- 3000 according to the Portland Tribune
- 3500 according to night-of reports from two TV news channels (KATU-2 and KG2-6) WRONG
- 3500 according to night-of reports from two TV news channels (KATU-2 and KGW-8) RIGHT
- KOIN simply said "thousands"
- Oregonian did not even hazard a guess