newswire article reporting portland metro

actions & protests a21 bush protests

Our police in action, of course
'nuff said.

homepage: homepage: http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=60096

Sick 22.Aug.2003 02:19

Rian Snider RianSnider@yahoo.com

I love the caption too:

"...was unaware of the pepper-spraying incident..."

So, either his is just blatantly lying, which is probably the most likely scenario, or he WAS truly unaware of the incident, in which case I have to ask: where is the fucking organization? I don't know what is worse: having him run things from the top and call out attacks like this, or just having no control over his own 'troops' and letting them attack like vigilantis.

Pattern of deception and Injustice continues... 22.Aug.2003 07:29

Zadok. One..

Thank you very much for this photo. More proof of the ongoing patterns of greed, deception, and Injustice by this administration and those who wield power for them in an effort to prop up a fascist takeover of the US Constitution. But then, this pattern was established the day Columbus set foot in this hemisphere and brought his Christian thugs ashore for the purpose of profit.

By the way, notice another pattern yet? Here's the clues

A: GW Bush is in political straights and 9-11 occurs and no one benefits but fascists and Neocons...,

B. Bush's supporters lose in California so Enron extorts billions in fraudulent power costs and see who benefits, Fat Cats who are pushing the California recall based on the Budget deficit THEY CAUSED.

C. Bush's supporters want more profits from their power company investments and Whammo, the Northeast has a big power outage, just in time to push their agenda in the upcoming Energy Plan vote in congress.

D. Bush has little chance of winning Oregon and convincing us of his deception riddled "Thinning" plan. So what happens next? An ARSON caused forest fire occurs "JUST IN TIME" and in "THE EXACT SAME PLACE" he plans to give a talk to a $2000 a plate "Private Political Lunch" AND a tour and speech at the site of that very same "FOREST FIRE" that "PERFECTLY " coincides with his political needs.

E. Oh and let's not forget that it has already been "PROVEN" they cooked up the so-called "evidence" to launch an illegal war that permits the VP (aka Halliburton) to take over Irag's oil...

They take you to be fools unable to discern obvious patterns. Prove them wrong.

Here is Wisdom...

Subtle change ... 22.Aug.2003 08:20

skate

Notice too, the phrasing used in the reporting. Usually, the media is pretty careful to use "police" and "officers" when refering to the police. In this report (and others I've seen), you're beginning to see use of the word "cops". In a reporting context, that's just a teeny bit disrespectful ... which is actually a huge change in perspective for the media.

RE: choice of words 22.Aug.2003 09:01

James

I wouldn't get too excited about the use of the word "cops" by the media. I mean, they captioned the above photo as a "pepper spray event." Makes it sound like something people buy tickets to see. It's not an "event," it's more like an "attack."

psd 22.Aug.2003 10:37

BadPenny

This image looks like it was photoshopped to me. I have never actually watched the trajectory that pepper spray usually takes because I usally avert my eyes when it is headed at me, but this gravity defying upward bend seems a little suspect. Similarly, as anyone who has ever experienced pepper spray knows, one is unlikely to continue pointing any yelling as it pours over ones face. It is possible that this incident did in fact occur, and I hope it did, because faking these things one serves to diminish the credibility of the protesters. Regarding the caption; why would there be a caption attached to the photo? It seems obvious that someone added this after they harvested the photo, the grammar is terrible, and it basically asserts that KATU said that Kroeker was was unaware, not that Kroeker said he was unaware.

In any case did anybody actually see this, can someone link to the image on KATU's website, or did anyone actually see this on the news, or can anyone, in any way, make this at all believable?

From the Site 22.Aug.2003 12:03

Rian Snider RianSnider@yahoo.com

If you follow that link to the KATU site, it shows that picture around the middle of the story...
here's the link:

If it was photoshopped: it was by KATU.

Thanks Rian 22.Aug.2003 13:12

BadPenny

thanks for providing the link. I guess I rather jumped the gun anyways, as I missed the link to the story in the original post.

For anyone who read my above post: the caption does in fact appear on KATU's version of this picture as well, so they should be given full credit for the illogical sentence structure.

Hey thats me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 22.Aug.2003 13:18

Swivel

Hey, that 's me getting the shower of (pepper spray) Love from the cops!!!!!!!!!!
It felt GREAT and I'd do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A HUGE THANKX to all those beautiful folks that helped me to get to a safe place and retrieve my bike.
And even though the cops made it hard for me to enjoy the rest of my day, I still LOVE them as people, not the uniforms or ideals they protect (capitalism/ corporations), and I refuse to draw the line between them, the cops, and us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once again thankx and don't give up our numbers and awareness growing. We are all great for showing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Swivel

How well they are equipped 22.Aug.2003 18:35

raffon

Notice how they seem to be better outfitted than our troops in Iraq? Notice in the picture you can see the park sign. This means the person was indeed back in the "annex" and had therefore followed the unlawful orders to move into the "annex" by authority of the "State of Oregon". What a bunch of BS. I always thought the Bill of Rights trumped the State. I was the guy with the megaphone repeating for the pigs that they were violating this:

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I'm glad no damage was done but I am totally disgusted with the PDX police Department. Here is a quote from
Portland Police Chief Mark Kroeker as posted on www.oregonlive.com wednesday.

"We are there to guarantee the right to free expression."
"It's our duty, and we will do it."

Bastards

not defying gravity, just morals and decency 23.Aug.2003 09:11

mike

a trajectory is somthing that comes from a fixed delivery position, what you see here could very well be from a sweeping action with the can, starting high, finishing lower...

Good explanation Mike 23.Aug.2003 11:57

Bad Penny

I think that is a very likely explanation for the trajectory. The only thinkg I was able to come up with was that it was perhaps deflecting off of some indiscernable object... but the sweeping motion sounds more reasonable.

end the debate!!!!!! 09.Aug.2004 11:32

love swivel

it was me, swivel, getting sprayed and there are two cops spraying me-----thats why it looks weird!!!!!!!!!