Please post widely
TACOMA LEONARD PELTIER SUPPORT GROUP
P.O. BOX 5464
TACOMA, WA 98415-0464
LEONARD PELTIER BIRTHDAY
MARCH AND GATHERING
SEPTEMBER 13, 2003, TACOMA, WA
12:00 Noon: MARCH OF JUSTICE: (Starting point for march will be at Portland Ave. and E. 56th. Take Portland Ave. exit off I-5 and head east).
1:00: LEONARD PELTIER BIRTHDAY POLITICAL/CULTURAL GATHERING (At the grass area of Portland Ave. Park)
The case of Leonard Peltier and the government abuse and corruption that is behind the continued imprisonment of Leonard, continues to grow in importance. In these times of increased power of the government over the people, the case of Leonard Peltier stands as a warning to all that such power will be used against the people rather than in their interest. Using fear as a justification, the U.S. Government seeks the renewed development of nuclear weapons and that means a proliferation of uranium mining on indigenous land. It was the U.S. government's attempt to steal Oglala Lakota land for uranium that was a major factor behind the events that took place on the Pine Ridge Reservation. Leonard is a prisoner of the continuing anti-Native policies of the government and he is also a prisoner of the military industrial complex.
Please join us in a march for justice and a political/cultural celebration of Leonard's birthday. Let this be a statement that we will not allow Leonard to become forgotten, and a statement in support of the free expression of the people against the policies of the government.
Sponsored by: Tacoma Leonard Peltier Support Group and NW AIM
1. We need help getting the word out on this event. If you can please forward this message to your friends, family, groups, organizations and e-mail lists that you don't see this posted on.
2. We need help getting fliers out. You can contact us for fliers or if you live in Seattle fliers will be at Left Bank Books.
3. Help organize car pools.
4. Since this will also be a celebration of Leonard's birthday, we wish to include more cultural expressions than we have at many of our rallies. Thus we are looking for drum groups, dancers and other cultural expressions, please contact us if you can help.
5. We are looking for someone to videotape our march and gathering.
6. We need donations. Please make checks out to: Northwest Leonard Peltier Support Network and send them to: NWLPSN, c/o Seattle LPSG, P.O. Box 2514, Seattle, WA 98111.
In September there will be some important legal developments in Leonard's case that we will inform people on. Our local Tacoma LPSG continues it's law suit against the City of Tacoma in order to change Tacoma's city ordinances that limit the right to a march permit to only those that can afford the high cost the city places upon march permits. We believe that the right to gain a march permit should be the right of all people including poor people who do not have the money to buy their rights. Our march will be on the sidewalk at this up-coming event, and thus does not need a permit, because we are waiting the outcome of the lawsuit before we again request a march permit. Though we stand strong in our right to show public support for Leonard Peltier and we realize the hostility that the City of Tacoma has shown us and that they have their Tacoma Police Intelligence Division keeping us under surveillance (even though we have broken no laws in ten years of marches and rallies), we will not be side tracked from our purpose of organizing support for Leonard Peltier. Please join us if you can on September 13 for a march and rally in Tacoma. Thank you.
Arthur J. Miller
Tacoma Leonard Peltier Support Group