Here's what I say about infiltrators and the like.
We are going to have infiltrators. We are going to have folks spy in meetings. It makes sense for whatever groups your targeting to gather information on how you're going to disrupt them. It doesn't matter whether your violent or non violent either. Here's the address to the Freedom of information act homepage. http://foia.fbi.gov/alpha.htm Notice how they have practically anyone here. From SNCC (student NON VIOLENT coordinating committee) to the weather underground. So we know that if a group is being effective on practically any level there probably going to be documented and infiltrated. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE FOR THE GROUPS BEING TARGETED NOT DO THIS!
Now read about the recent anti globalization, anti war, anti capitalist demonstrations happening recently. The g8's, IMF/world bank protests, WTO, etc. They have all recently been attacked by infiltrators in the protests. From entire black blocs that were police in Genoa, from just random people starting useless fights in the crowds, etc. It happens. There are undercover cops in protests. We need to realize this. This isn't bullshit mindless propaganda. People have been documenting this crap for years. And yet we still don't have a decent way of dealing with this on any kind of large scale, not to mention the fact that we cant even deal with on a smaller scale. As in, "what do we do we think this guy is a cop but how do we deal with that?" Especially at the large demos where there are multiple thousands of people, who we have never seen before because they're coming from all over to protest whatever.
Stuff that was addressed in the first article ( http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2003/06/265843.shtml)
1. The cops are too stupid. Take a look at the recent St. Lewis incidents to see whether the cops are to stupid to do pre-emptive strikes on activists.
2. Remember that not all anarchists participate in black bloc tactics and not all black blocs are formed by a majority of anarchists (Maoists, communists, Marxists, etc I've literally seen all those groups present). Nor most anarchists go to large-scale demonstrations. I've talked with many local anarchists who aren't going to Sacramento because they have more important community organizing that there dedicated to.
3. "You say you want change -- but what are you doing -- as an anarchist -- other than pissing-off average American? " Hears a brief history. There was any black bloc tactics before 1980s. In the 80's Marxists started the first blocs to bypass the ineffectiveness of liberals/lefties in general, to counter police attacks and neo-nazi attacks. The first bloc that was in north america was seen in 92 at the Mumia demonstration. So the idea that we are isolating everyone doesn't make sense because black bloc has been used in most of the demonstrations that go on today. All that has happened is that the blocs have grown continuously from protest to protest in size and militancy. Notice the 1000+ bloc at the IMF/World bank in Washington. Only what, 7 years? 9 years? After the idea of black bloc came to north america.
4. "That playing WITHIN the system is the ONLY way for any meaningful changes." I'm not even going to address this. This is such a white, middle class, male perspective I just want to reach through the computer and slap your head a couple times. So question, what about all those people that cant make change with the system BECAUSE THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN SCREWING THEM FOR THEIR ENTIRE LIVES?!?!
5. "Yea, the anarchists are solving one thing... that is to relegate the democratic party into permanent minority status. " Another bullshit statement. If that was true how come the major peace movements, after the days of rage (the weathermen riot), became so anti radical, they all turned to left liberal politics because the weathermen completely screwed the movement in their eyes. People argue continuously that if MLK Jr didn't have the militancy of Malcolm X to show liberal folks the scary radical side, they would never have joined him in such numbers nor would so many folks support him. These are just two examples. There are many more in many different movements. And yet the black blocs have grown in numbers and more and more of the liberals and leftists come to love the black bloc. There is a part in a story about A16, where a crowd of liberals chanted, "We love the black bloc" as the bloc went by.
Anyway, why the fuck should any anarchists care what happens to the democratic party? For that matter, when has any, ANY, of the democrats done anything for the anarchists? I count my lucky stars everyday and wish and pray that the democratic party keels over and dies in a shallow grave, hopefully soon. Or merges with the republicans and makes my dreams come true. Call it the United Party For Capitalism.
So now I'm just off my point. Oh well. So here it is. Infiltrators will be in Sacramento. If you see them trying to tape your face when you go for water, tell them to knock it off. And if you see some black bloc folks trying to bust a local business tell them to knock it off. People need to realize that its not a bad thing not be non confrontational. Get in peoples faces about why they destroyed old mom and pops restaurant or whatever. We cannot become mindless violence/rioting/vandalism. Banks should be destroyed, so should corporations that routinely use organized oppression on people, but consider where and when. If your in a low income neck of the woods and you encounter the only bank in the area, pause for thought (of course not long enough for that maltov to melt your hand), but think about what this is going to do for the people in that area. Will they be able to get money for the essentials in a reasonable time period or will they have to waste large portions of there day going to rich areas that we ignored. Just think about it.