newswire article questions portland metro

media criticism

where do composted comments go?

Composted comments don't appear in the compost bin.
Where do deleted comments go?

I tried to read comments deleted on article #265024 and #265059 but they are not in the compost bin.

In a comment to article #265024, "anonymous imcista" says "Follow the "compost" link at the bottom of the newswire to see the open trash." I did ... but I can't find any composted *comments* in the compost bin, but only composted *articles* (along with all their comments).

So where do the comments go?? Are they actually deleted?

reply 21.May.2003 21:49

indy geek

they are not deleted

the hidden comments are all still there, but the hidden comments page is not finished yet so they are not yet accessible

thank you 21.May.2003 22:27

Fahrenheit 451

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I made this an article instead of putting it under the site feedback section so more people could see this. A couple of my friends were wondering about this too.

Any idea as to a timeline for when my tawdry, tabloid side can start to indulge itself?

timeline 21.May.2003 23:54

another indy tech

It's been on the list for a while but it hasn't been a very requested feature, many more people want the email feature back and we've been dealing with some bugs causing delays in updating. The comments are going to be very difficult to do due to the layout constraints. We don't want them to use up a lot of resources so like the compost bin they're likely to be on only a few pages but then there many be hundreds on page. There may be a preliminary form up within a week, if other things come up it could be as long as 3 weeks.

On a related note 22.May.2003 06:54

Lasso

I'd like to add something here. I really appreciate the compost feature, and am NOT in the camp calling this censorship. I've been supportive of this all along, as a way to get all the garbage off the front page. But I'm getting a little uncomfortable with the direction I see this suddenly going.

As I said, this is in no way intended to join the chorus of "censorship!" baiting that went on here for days on end after a few right wingers discovered the site through media attention.

The thing is, I went to the compost bin recently, and was really surprised to see some of the things that have been sent there. There were actually some thoughtful articles that could have generated some good discussion. They come from a critical perspective to be sure, but some are asking honest questions that I think we all could have enjoyed answering. I don't think this is in line with what most of the people who work on this site wanted, so I'm wondering if there's a newbie volunteer or something? Perhaps the voluminous support for the compost bin just went to the collective head? I don't know, but I think the compost bin needs some thought again. Definitely keep it, but maybe be a little lighter on the button finger that sends things there.

Thanks indy folks, for making this site possible and for allowing real democracy into the media. Don't take my criticism of the recent developments in the compost bin as criticism of the site in general, because it's not.

the only effective remedy 22.May.2003 08:14

piet

the only remedy for losing site of my comments editors take a dislike to (which tends to deterriorate into disqualifying anything else by the poster) I found effective is: . . .. move to a more tolerant imc; I am dutch and speak german but the imcs in those languages started to ban me sooner or later; if you really care about your comments I suggest you give 'm a home before posting them.

great idea 22.May.2003 10:54

george

That's a great idea, go bother someone else, obviously if your comments are being composted, they don't belong on a board focusing on news announcements and activist coordination.

re: lasso 22.May.2003 11:36

indy geek

Some people have stated their intent to disrupt the site. Their posts may be hidden regardless of whether a particular post sounds reasonable. Since the new site launch, there has definately been a heavier hand with the result being better discussions and less garbage.

there is generally a rationale for why a post is hidden. for example, almost all post complaining about censorship were actually posted by individuals who were spamming the site and so they were hidden. to the casual observer, it might look like legitimate posts critical of the composting policy were being hidden. Likewise, there were a couple articles with useful ongoing discussion on police, and a known spammer posted yet another article, it was hidden.

Obviously there will be gray area where we could argue, but my suggestion would be that if you feel a mistake was made and some useful questions ended up hidden, ask them yourself. That is proactive and avoids lots of search/explaining/arguing of why a certain post was hidden. This would be the best way to keep an eye on us password holders and make sure we are not becoming power mad fiends. :-)

fair suggestion?

an example 22.May.2003 16:39

anonymous

Yes, sometimes "legitimate looking" posts may be suppressed when they are by people who have a record of posting things purely for purposes of provocation, especially if they choose to openly say that that is their purpose. For example, some people have chosen to call themselves such things as "King of Trolls." In such a case, it should be obvious why their posts would not be tolerated, regardless of the content, once they've established a clear pattern of abuse. If such people have a change of heart, and want to start contributing something of redeeming value to the website, they could simply change their names and other patterns they've adopted which are objectionable. I don't get the sense that anyone involved in editorial issues with this IMC wants to impose some kind of ideological litmus test on content. Personally, I'd even welcome the occasional rightwing rant, if it were invective-free and intelligently presented. But that's very rare and hard to come by, unfortunately.

new system 22.May.2003 21:44

george

The new system seems to be working well in moving IMC less in the direction of being a forum for right wing bores to express their stupidity, and more in the direction of what seems to be the original intent of the resource. Certainly there's less crap to wade through to get to important info.

hypocrisy 23.May.2003 02:02

piet

shining example of it at belgium indy

ya know, the left is advoca-agita-propagating all this inclusiveness and with indymedia
it even made a believable feint in consequent form for it but alas, it is back down to the
chimerical pretense that we can disown the disowners if we break a lance for
the innocently disowned -- I've got news for you: innocence is a make believe escape
like no other and it kicks in as soon as you see a girl you like.

I put up the following short item at
Bristol (traceless the next day since they don't sport a
hidden articles link) ----

Germany (same though more forgivable since they don't
really do english articles) and

Belgium (does have a hidden articles link
and I find all sorts of other evidence that leftists are as sectarian as
rainbow family but they are more obnoxious about it, insisting on filling and
blocking top dollar real estate for which they choose the most prime annoying
moments, such as a diligent poster (with pet focus AEL) accused of having
access to breaking news before it does and therefore must obviously be an
insider secret service troll ---- Leftists pretend the world is perfect and all
should be equal and equally protected from scrutiny of the too close kind,
especially those from exploited and destitute countries, since they are not
here for revenge and disruption and don't blame for the sorry states of their
home countries. Right?) ---

now hidden item:
 http://belgium.indymedia.org/news/2003/05/65493.php 400
page stimulus for european convention by John Zube Thursday
May 22, 2003 at 10:57 PM a constitution with special attention for
secession, autonomization, and all those things that keep
essentials from hi-jacking by business bigger than good for
anything but lining fatcat pockets part one is to be found here:
 http://members.lycos.nl/vadercats/PeaceConstitution1.txt --- put a
2, 3, and 4 in the place of 1 for the other parts ----- this document
can also be found in one piece here:

too many missers, shame on me, take two 23.May.2003 08:22

piet

I've got news for you: innocence is a make believe escape
like no other and it kicks in as soon as you see a girl you like. -- and the frequencies and intensities are all too often unsustainable demografilth

I put up the following short item at
Bristol (traceless the next day since they don't sport a
hidden articles link in an obvious place if you did'nt know it already, not all imc's have the elegant hidden.php yet I guess) ----

Germany (same though more forgivable since they don't
really do english articles) and

Belgium (does have a hidden articles link
and once again, I find all sorts of other evidence that leftists are as sectarian as
rainbow family but more obnoxious about it, the o so solidaring ones insist, foist 'msoulves on, fill and
block top dollar real estate for which the most prime and supremely annoying
timeslots, the momentous ones are preferred and necessary as preventing wrong decision making is, more than a last ditch effort it will not be. I find a diligent poster (with pet focus AEL) accused of having
access to breaking news before it does and therefore must obviously be an
insider secret service troll ---- Leftists pretend the world is perfect and all
should be equal and equally protected from scrutiny of the too close kind,
especially those from exploited and destitute countries, since they are not
here for revenge and disruption and don't blame us westerners in the least for the wrongs and routed roots of their own culture compared to which our sometimes literal bury and pave 'm over action is more like setting a respectful and reverent monument. Anyhow, few left without a sorry state of home countries to bemourn. Right?) ---