newswire article portland metro

government | imperialism & war | police / legal | political theory

Bush getting desperate

What is next?
Bush is now offering rewards for information the Iraqi people had or still have weapons of mass destruction (Yahoo!). Not a tactic I disagree with but it is apparent to me that Bush is starting to get desperate that his main reason for breaking UN sanctions and invading Iraq. So my question to you all is what is next from our president? If no one comes forward what will he do? Will he sneak weapons in and then claim that they were Sadaam's? Will he say that the weapons were moved to Syria and that we should invade them next? Will he admit he was wrong and say that he is sorry. Or will he just say he was wrong but that he won't apologize because the removal of Sadaam was good for the country? Which do you guys think is the most likely? Please feel free to throw in your own scenarios.
Well... 10.May.2003 22:10

Dark Woodsman

Say I wanted to hide a truck in Eastern Oregon and I buried it in the ground. Do you think you and all the American haters combined could ever find it? I doubt it, you probably have trouble finding your pants every morning...

Well.... 10.May.2003 22:26

Kelso

That all depends.......are you a government who habitually keeps paperwork of your actions? And I love America, My father and grandfather both were in the Air Force. "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt. "Politicians cause War, people bring peace" (both quotes found in "The great book of Presidential quotes" at my University library)

cultural diversity 10.May.2003 23:06

Dark TaxAccountant

"Dark Woodsman"? Does that mean you're like the black Pinocchio or something? If that's the case, it's nice to see some more cultural diversity around here, even if your comments are rather churlish. Keep dreaming kid, one day you'll be a real boy!

Playing the Patriot Card 10.May.2003 23:08

anti-Patriot

"Say I wanted to hide a truck in Eastern Oregon and I buried it in the ground. Do you think you and all the American haters combined could ever find it? I doubt it, you probably have trouble finding your pants every morning."

What's the matter Trilox...I mean "Dark Woodsmen"? You afraid that all the lies about WMD your beloved American Reich has been spewing for the past 12 years are lies--and that your invasion of Iraq will be seen as an act of aggression, just like the Nazi invasion of Poland? The best that Trilox has to offer is to conjure up ridiculous hypothetical scenarios from his Hollywood indoctrinated mind. I almost feel sorry for your patriotic ass.

All of you AmeriKKKa Lovers are just like the Good Germans before you. You cling to your country's lies like a Criminal clings to his alibi.

That's all well and good. 10.May.2003 23:24

Kelso

But can someone please give a realistic response to my question?

And another thing 11.May.2003 00:36

The Redcoat

Why would I bury my truck? I wouldn't be able to use it then would I?

nothing 11.May.2003 00:45

joe

I see it as, sadly, most likely that nothing will happen. once he's held this up long enough that the search is on, it won't matter the outcome. he'll either be out of office, or reelected and set.
it's frightening, but i can see public apathy (and outside places like this, trust me, there's no shortage of it) allowing this to be ignored, the same way that something like 60 percent of americans thought saddham was directly connected to the world trade center attacks

basically, it's like wag the dog. keep it up long enough, and it doesn't matter. nobody remembers.

he's already doing it 11.May.2003 09:45

alex

The official White House line about WMD's is "we'll find them" but Saddam needed to be removed anyway. If enough false positives are dangled before the media (like the supposed mobile lab this last week) eventually the public will be under the impression that the WMDs existed and have been taken care of. Remember, the American public (Dark Woodsman, the folks who think the 9-11 hijackers worked for Saddam Hussein, many cops) are hateful fools. Bush need not go to much trouble to make excuses.

The only thing I can say for sure 11.May.2003 11:00

PHH

He won't say he's sorry.
People like Bush have no remorse, that's what makes them so dangerous.
To try to predict what he will do next is like trying to predict what a mad dog will do.

... 11.May.2003 11:39

this thing here

>The official White House line about WMD's is "we'll find them" but Saddam needed to be removed anyway. If enough false positives are dangled before the media (like the supposed mobile lab this last week) eventually the public will be under the impression that the WMDs existed and have been taken care of.<

exactly. plus, the 24-hour news cycle will have moved onto something else to cover endlessly. people just won't care anymore...

"why the hell do we have to find WMD's? what's your problem? the war ended a while ago. forget it."

i think american intelligence on iraq's weapons is somewhat skewed. i can recall many stories before the war about dissention between C.I.A. analysts and the pentagon, to the point where rumsfeld decided to create his own gang of intellignece analysts that would give him the resutls he was looking for. read the latest new yorker if you don't believe me.

now, keep in mind the pictures on the news lately of that truck that "may" or may not be a mobile bio-weapons lab. i'm thinking rumsfeld's intelligence guys gave him reports saying, "yes, these are mobile bio-weapons labs", while the C.I.A. guys were saying, "yeah, maybe. they could also be farming trucks with vats of herbicide on the back. the intelligence isn't certain one way or another."

so, personally seeing the photos, i'd have to agree with people who say it "could" be bio-weapons, but it could also be just a truck used to transport herbicide.

but the problem here is how the media plays. they don't ever explicity state that it could be a bio-weapons lab, or it could be farm equipment. all they do is show the picture and an inflammatory headline of "is this the smoking gun? ewww!" they keep doing that, and like magic, people either say "shut the fuck up, i don't care" or "yes, that's all the proof i need".

personally speaking, i think it's fucking sad and pathetic that that rusted out, dusty clunker of a truck was the closest thing to evidence the bush admin. has come up with in order to justify all the americans and iraqi's who have died, and all that money spent on the war. just that fucking solitary rusty truck...

oops. 11.May.2003 14:02

this thing here

look what just popped up...

this war was based on a lie. this is a pretext coming home to roost. how does it feel liars....

Great article 11.May.2003 15:46

anonymous

I love those candid comments.

two cents 11.May.2003 18:47

mike

If not WMD, then "liberation"....the vast majority of Iraqis don't want the US any more than they wanted Saddam. I figure the media will drop it, as will the dark house. Distractions are the order of the day...now the petersen case....next week it'll be somehitng else. and of course, the black hole that calls itself woodsman will continue to repeat its venom. not much changes, for sure.

Write your senators 12.May.2003 11:44

Dade Cariaga

If you don't want this issue to die, like Enron died, like the 9-11 investigation died, and like all the mendacious lies of the Bush administration has perpetuated on the public (not to mention his sketchy military record), write to your senators and demand an investigation!

For God's sake, people, if we don't put the heat on the senators, we can't really expect them to have the political courage to stand up to this band of reprobates!

Here's some links:

If you live in Oregon, you can write to Senators Smith and Wyden at:

Washington residents can reach Senators Murray and Cantwell at:
 senator_murray@murray.senate.gov

People, if we can keep the pressure on our elected representatives, there is a chance that we might actually wake them up enough to start doing something about this. If you'd like, copy and paste my letter. But, whatever you do, PLEASE WRITE!

Here's my letter:

*****************************************************************************************************

To the Honorable Senator [insert Senator's name here]

Senator, I'm writing today to urge you to call for a full congressional investigation into the possibility that the Bush adminstration may have manufactured evidence or exagerrated the threat from Iraq's "weapons of mass destruction."

The Bush administration offered "evidence" that has since proven to be faulty, exagerrated, and, in the case of the Nigerian caper regarding an alledged attempt by Saddam Hussein to purchase enriched uranium, out-and-out forgery.

Senator, if the Bush adminstration deliberately misled the American public and the United Nations in an attempt to justify war, they must be held to account. Impeachment would be an entirely appropriate response.

I demand that you initiate a full investigation of this matter. The lives of American service personnel and Iraqi civilians have been spent. It is of the utmost importance to our nation, and to the world, that we determine that these lives were not lost due to lies and exagerrations!

Sincerely,