Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:36:35 -0700
Subject: [FreeMikeHawash] Statement re: Charges Against Mike Hawash
Here are our current public statements about the charges made by the
Justice Department today. Recall that the Complaint issued by the DoJ
is *their* version of the story. We believe it does not accurately
reflect the real story.
We continue to support Mike Hawash
* We are disappointed that the U.S. Dept. of Justice has
chosen to charge Mike based on such weak evidence.
* Nonetheless, we are happy that Mike will be able to defend
himself publicly, after this period of secret detention.
* The evidence presented in the Complaint is, in our opinion,
weak, and amounts to Guilt by Association.
* Mike has been held for over five weeks, but there is no
evidence in the Complaint that has been gathered at or since his arrest
-- the government had a weak case when he was originally detained, held
Mike for five weeks, and has no stronger a case now.
* Mike's friends and those who know him think the idea that
Mike would have fought for the Taliban or traveled to Afghanistan is
absurd. Mike's concerns were for his family in America, his family in
Palestine, and for his faith.
* We will continue to stand by Mike, we believe in his
innocence, and believe that he will ultimately be cleared of all charges