newswire article portland metro

alternative media | education | youth

Sisters In Action For Power efforts for low income students threatened by Trimet

Sisters in Action for Power has issued an emergency alert, announced on KBOO this morning by Joanne Bowman. They are asking that everyone who can, come out to the Trimet public hearing on Wednesday April 23rd at 9-11 a.m.
Sisters in Action for Power won a $16 a month pass for low income students to ride TriMet public transportation in the early '90's. Trimet is proposing to increase this fee by $1 per student who rides the bus. Sisters in Action are encouraging everyone to make their voices Wed April 23rd TriMet Public Hearing from 9 am to 11 am.

If you can't make this meeting, scheduled when most people would of course be unable to attend, you can email Fred hansen, gen'l manager of Trimet. His email is:  runnionk@trimet.org.

Contact Sisters in Action for Power for more information, at (503) 331-1244. Or email your views on this outrageous fare increase, in this time of economic hardship, felt the most by low income students. Or see if someone can represent your views at the hearing if you can't make it.

Calling TriMet for the address where these Public Hearings will be held would also be a good idea, since this information was not available to Joanne on this morning's show, and this is another place to make your voice heard on this issue.
Outrageous 21.Apr.2003 09:22

me

$16 per month is the lowest rate Tri-Met offers. It is half the current student rates and substantially less than the adult rates. It matches the honored/senior citizen rates.

Increasing this already rock bottom fare by $1.00 per month doesn't really seem all that outrageous.

Outrageous? 21.Apr.2003 09:22

me

White middle class GO! 21.Apr.2003 10:02

yElp

I dont have an extra dollar a month. I dont know if i can get a 16 dollar bus pass to start and if they raise the price it gets farther away.

You have money or at least the comfort to know that you could get money if you needed it. I dont have money. I do full time school work. An extra dollar does matter and i think that trimet doesnt need to cut costs by raising fairs of students.

Fred Hansen, the general manger of trimet and the man it says to comment to, increased his budget by $127,926 to $180,943 in the last five years. Who rides these buses? Not rich kids, who parents will buy them a car if not give them rides to school. Working class families will pay the extra freight of this hike and that is outrageous if anything is.

what's the issue 21.Apr.2003 10:35

u.g.

ok-for over a decade, tri met has honored $16 @ mo. passes for low income kids but now need to ask for a dollar more...where's the emergency?

more clarification please.

what's the issue 21.Apr.2003 10:37

u.g.

more clarification please.

Working Class Families? 21.Apr.2003 11:50

me

"Working class families will pay the extra freight of this hike and that is outrageous if anything is."

Oddly enough, I am a member of a working class family. I didn't buy my kids a car ... they ride the bus just like I do. My monthly costs for a bus pass have increased on a regular basis over the years, unlike yours which have remained steady for over a decade. In part that's because my higher costs subsidize your lower costs.

One thing that is absolutely certain is that working class families will NOT pay the extra freight of this hike.

KBOO listener is wrong--it's only been 2 yrs 21.Apr.2003 13:54

Sisters supporter

KBOO listener says that this was won in the early 90's.

wrong--it's been less than two years

here's the info from Sisters in Action:

>Dear Friends, Supporters and Allies:(please distribute)
>It has come to our attention that Tri-Met is proposing another fare
>increase, a process that has occurred every two years. Included on this
>year's docket is the new $16 monthly Student Pass that Sisters in Action
>for Power won less than 2 years ago. This pass will be increased by $1 a
>month.
>This increase might seem minor for Fred Hansen, General Manager of Tri-Met,
>whose salary has gone from $127,926 to $180,943 in the last five years.
>However, during a time of economic crisis and high unemployment, a $1 a
>month per student will result in a significant additional burden for
>working families with children.
>Tri Met, like many public institutions, continues to place the burden on
>people most dependent on services and resources while simultaneously
>increasing top management salaries. We strongly OPPOSE any fare increase,
>especially student fares, during this time of economic crisis for all
>working families.
>In addition, Tri-Met will hold a public hearing on the proposed fare
>increases on Wednesday, April 23rd from 9:00am -11:00am, during a time when
>working families and students will not be able to attend and have their
>voices heard. We strongly believe public comment hearings should be
>accessible to the community, especially to those most directly affected by
>policy decisions.
>We are asking our friends, supporters and allies to support and sustain our
>organizing efforts by taking action.
>1. Simply hit reply to this email.
>2. CC your response to Fred Hansen at:  runnionk@trimet.org.
>3. State your opposition to an increase in the Student Pass and support
>for more accessible public hearings.

Go, sisters, go 21.Apr.2003 22:24

one dollar

Maybe it's difficult for some to realize the one dollar a month differential. My child cannot go to school one day a month if I have to pay another dollar. How sorry am I? I work one job, union, part time, but have to work a different job part time to make ends meet. I pay $360. a month for child care, I pay $800 for rent, I pay $230 for utilities, I pay $220 for food, I make $1800 a month working two jobs. One dollar a month means alot for my family. My solution, make the "trolley car" paid for. In other words, if you want to take the trolley to shop, pay the extra dollar.

You've got to be kidding 22.Apr.2003 06:34

Mr. Accountant

A whole DOLLAR!!!! Wow, I'm going to go call God and let him know about this outrageous injustice.

Not Tri-Met 22.Apr.2003 09:07

me

If you mean the downtown trolley, it's not part of Tri-Met although they honor Tri-Met passes. If you mean the antique trolley that runs between Lloyd Center and downtown, it's entirely supported by the business association.

I don't think changing the fee structure on either will help you out because neither will generate revenue for Tri-Met.

location of meeting 22.Apr.2003 19:17

go sisters go

FYI the location of the TriMet public is:

Clackamas County Sunnybrook Service Center, Auditorium
9101 SE Sunnybrook Blvd
Clackamas, OR

What Happened Here ? 01.Nov.2003 07:21

Gaffs gaffs0@netzero.com

Today is November 1,2003. I was doing a search on Sisters in Action for Power,looking for a web site. I had not heard any of this. I would like to know what happened with this. If the story is going to stay in the search engine's then someone should go back and put in the outcome.
I never did find a Web Page for Sisters in Action. If there is one please e-mail me at  gaffs0@netzero.com
Gaffs