newswire article

imperialism & war

Boston IndyMedia Is Working for COINTELPRO

For the past several months I've observed a pattern of abuse on Boston IndyMedia. For those of you unaware, I've been targeted by a COINTELPRO operation for more than a year now. The operation has cost me my job, forced me to move for the safety of my family, and made it difficult to run my anti-fascist and antiwar websites: Stop Fascism!, Break Your Chains, and Rational Anarchism.

Boston IndyMedia Is Working for COINTELPRO

Author: Stephen DeVoy

For the past several months I've observed a pattern of abuse on Boston IndyMedia. For those of you unaware, I've been targeted by a COINTELPRO operation for more than a year now. The operation has cost me my job, forced me to move for the safety of my family, and made it difficult to run my anti-fascist and antiwar websites:Stop Fascism!, Break Your Chains, and Rational Anarchism.

The COINTELPRO group harassing me uses the name KOBE. They maintain a database of IP numbers of the victims they harass. They even provide an interface to their members for looking up IP addresses. A couple of months ago I posted a message anonymously on Boston IndyMedia. Within minutes a comment was made in the name of one KOBE XIAN, a member of KOBE, that from my IP address they had determined that I was Stephen DeVoy. Note, my IP address was only visible to the system administrators of Boston IndyMedia.

Had this been the only incident, I would have dismissed it as an improbable guess. However, a long chain of events confirms my suspicion. Not only does Boston IndyMedia delete posts that are critical of Israel, but Boston IndyMedia protects posts coming from members of the Free Republic. KOBE is associated with the Free Republic. Even more disturbing is the fact that Boston Police Special Operations members have been posting unimpeded on Boston Indy Media. The following is a proof of this accusation:

Please read the following post on Boston Indymedia:

This post starts off with a collection of photos I took at the antiwar event in Boston on March 29. As we've all seen, it is common practice to not blur the faces of protesters in pictures posted to IndyMedia. Immediately following my post, you see the beginning of a string of posts that I find very interesting. The faces of anarchists were blurred due to police harassment documented here. The most important comments, however, read as follows:

"Two signs from Saturday's 'Peace' march: "This is what a Feminist looks like" and "Bush needs a bitch slap." What's wrong with this picture?

One more thing: Why do you think the gestapo , blackshirt cops were more racially and sexually diverse then the mostly white well-to-do marchers?

Question the authority of your culture."

Is this an innocent post? Well, no. I can prove that it was posted by a member of Boston Police Special Operations, the same group that harassed anarchists at the march from which the photos were taken. Here's the proof:

Check out this post made to a journal for law enforcement professionals: http://www.guardroom.com/jjdaley/

Read the post under the heading "Cognitive Dissonance".

"Two signs from Saturday's 'Peace' march: "This is what a Feminist looks like" and "Bush needs a bitch slap." Photos courtesy of our local phoney anachists who seemed more interested in taking photos of hot anti-war chicks then fighting the power."

Now, note the following similarity between the posts. They are almost identical. Who posted this? Well, the man who posted this, John Daley, runs the following website:

The above link will take you to Boston Police Special Operations.

When I noticed this, I posted the following on Boston IndyMedia. Notice the comments:

Also, notice the same defamation used by the KOBE organization. For some reason they think my middle initial is "J." which it is not. Here's another post:

An import thing I can't show you, because Boston IndyMedia deleted it, is a post I made demonstrating who KOBE is. However, I can show you the original information about KOBE that I posted. Here is an article authored by KOBE explaining their organization:

The above link is to an article by KOBE entitled: "Subversive/Dissident groups provide inroads for terrorists and spying within the United States of America." In this article, KOBE specifically targets my websites. Why did Boston IndyMedia delete this?

Please do not remove this article. People need to see this. Boston IndyMedia has not grown into the kind of outlet that other IndyMedias in cities with vibrant antiwar movements have grown into specifically because it is in the hands of the wrong people. For the sake of Bostonians, we need to increase awareness of this.

homepage: homepage: http://www.stop-fascism.org

fgfff 08.Apr.2003 02:16

ffffff

where is this database where these people are posting IP addresses?

I think you're a little nuts 08.Apr.2003 06:25

lucas

Indymedia Boston isn't banning you. You posted there just a few minutes after this.

Why are you trying to discredit the only independant media site that many people get to see? Are you working for FOX?

RE: Lucas 08.Apr.2003 10:18

Stephen DeVoy

Those posts you found with google are not my posts. They are part of the COINTELPRO operation. If you visit this link, you will see what I am talking about:

These operatives have been posting in my name for more than a year now. I have been specifically targeted and this is one of their techniques. More people should be aware of this because it is likely that more of us will be targeted in this way.

Whenever I display the evidence of this COINTELPRO operation, anywhere, I get the same reaction. Not only do I have a database of more than 1000 posts and threatening emails sent to me, I have logs of my websites confirming monitoring by the CIA, FBI, DISA, DIA, and many other agencies. I have far more proof than this, but I cannot disclose it in order to protect my sources.

The comments attacking me, rather than the evidence I present, are perfect examples of COINTELPRO. You can be certain that many law enforcement people monitor this website and all IndyMedia websites on an ongoing basis. They do not want you to believe that COINTELPRO is in operation, so they attack the victim rather than address the facts.

The antiwar movement is heavily infiltrated. Anyone who honestly does not believe this is naive. Anyone who lashes out at those who speak this truth, replying with underhanded attacks, is clearly suspect.

As for the comments about my insignificance, I have always considered my self to be insignificant. I was surprised when I began receiving this harassment. I was very unprepared for it. Having observed it for more than a year, I am certain of my facts. For every person like me out there, there are probably dozens that have experienced the beginning of a COINTELPRO operation. These people resonded by withdrawing from their activism. That is the initial intent of these operations. Only those who continue, despite being harassed, get the full treatment.

On another note, though insignificant, I directed several projects that became the Information Awareness Office at my former employer. I was the first individual to write openly about what the IAO was really up to. I met with Poindexter twice. I regularly met with most of the upper ranks of DARPA. I may be insignficant, but as a person who once had a secret clearance and who recently worked on projects used by the CIA and NSA, I am somewhat unique in being an open and vocal anarchist. It doesn't take much math to work out the equation of why I would be harassed.

RE: fgfff 08.Apr.2003 10:18

Stephen DeVoy

Here is the link to their database:

RE: I think you're a little nuts 08.Apr.2003 10:20

Stephen DeVoy

I think you're in denial.

do things taste salty to you? 08.Apr.2003 10:29

yyb

I heard about a guy that thought Edgar Allen Poe came back from the grave and was trying to kill him.

everywhere he went, he so Poe hiding behind bushes, following him in his car.

He got a new job, only to find out his new bosses name was Allen. It was too much for him...

so you see Poindexter under your bed?

i don't know how many times people have posted remarks about my posts claiming that I'm a Fed, a COINTELPRO, a Cop, a Ninja, etc..

If they only knew.

If this isn't delusional, then its because they feel more important if someone special is trying to "get" them.

The worst thing in the world is to be so useless as to be ignored...

RE: yyb 08.Apr.2003 10:35

Stephen DeVoy

You get the "asshole of the day" award. Who are you to decide what my thoughts are? Do you believe that it is impossible that individual Americans are being targeted for their beliefs? If you do, then you are in denial. This happened all through the 1960s and 1970s to people equally as insignificant as myself. During the 1980s it happened to simple members of CISPES. I was a member of CISPES. It is happening now to those of us who stand up against Bush. You don't need to be some "important" individual to receive their attention. All you need to be is a little crack in the dam. Little cracks turn into big cracks and big cracks break the dam. Silencing the opposition begins with silencing the little voices that speak out. If you've been accused of being a government operative on several occasions, then it is time for you to ask yourself why.

Different year, same delusions. 08.Apr.2003 10:38

tabatha the teenage witch.

Different year, same delusions.

Year 1003 : There are Werewolves, Gnomes, Elves, Goblins, and demons etc.

Year 1653 : There are Witches, anyone who says there is not, is indeed themselves a witch and in league with Lucifer.

Year 1985 : There are UFO's the government knows all about them.

Year 2003 : There are Counter Intel Pros under my bed. You maybe one of them if you don't agree with me..

Thanks for the link about "KOBE"... 08.Apr.2003 10:44

Mojo

From what they write they seem like a "template" for a standard
Cointelpro OP in that they are afraid of other peoples' opinions
calling them Socialists and Communists.

That oldschool thinking indicate that their "expertise" may not be
as "frontline" as they want people to believe.

Read more about COINTELPRO here:

COINTELPRO
www.cointel.org

COINTELPRO: The Untold American Story

COINTELPRO - The Sabotage Of Legitimate Dissent

Sources of information about the Judi Bari bombing case

Only for the day? 08.Apr.2003 10:46

ffg

Only for the day?

Hell, I was shooting for an Anal life time achievement award or something.

Oh, the agent we have shadowing you noticed that you have a short in your taillight. Every time you go over a bump, it goes on an off.

You need to get that fixed..

Take care...

yeah. uh- huh... 08.Apr.2003 10:48

this thing here

... and fascism could never happen in america, could it.

and i'm president george w. bush II.

Yo CointelproFool... 08.Apr.2003 10:54

Mojo

"The worst thing in the world is to be so useless as to be ignored..."

Is that why you're still here posting crap day after day?

posting away.. 08.Apr.2003 11:00

coinintel fool

yep.

and you are reading it.

so who is more useless? the fool, or the fool who follows the fool and reads his crap?

george is making you his bitch.. so breakout the vasoline boys.. your not squealing loud enough...

sure, his bitches. 08.Apr.2003 11:23

this thing here

remember that time you came and told us all how upset you were that george had left you to go look for other bitches? because george said you were too easy to handle, and did everything he said. you were really upset.

anyways, fascism could never happen in america, could it...

It's a bummer... 08.Apr.2003 12:09

Mulberry Sellers

DeVoy and KOBE- a truly sad example of how the quality of NetLoonery has declined.

parallel 08.Apr.2003 15:25

margaret

it's bullshit to not allow your group to grow because you suspect every person who is joining it to be an infiltrator.
but it's stupid to assume that they won't try and infiltrate you. if you were stupid enough to think that in the late 60s, thats one thing, because you didn't have a clear, blown-open historical precedent.
but now?
its bullshit to jump on someone who has a lot of well gathered information about how they are being targetted, and to assume he's loony.
you don't think that the fact that a cop posted pretty much the same comment to his site as the comment posted to boston indymedia is a little sketchy?
sure, perhaps the cop just read the comment and parroted it.
but there is obviously sketchy shit going on for this individual.
as someone who knows of specific instances of people being followed around as cops look at pictures of them, etc. I think we need to not jump on someone's case about being scared.

wake up.

but, of course, don't take everything this person says for granted. but don't dismiss it.

use your head, please 08.Apr.2003 18:46

awake

Everyone needs to listen to Stephen DeVoy. It has been said before that the best cover for a ridiculous operation/project is to the absurdity of the thing itself--because people will not believe it.
What about this: The biggest government conspiracy of all is the claim that there are no government conspiracies." --Michael Rivero
If you still do not believe this could happen, what makes you so sure???!! Blind faith--in THIS government? Why not err on the side of caution and keep your eyes and ears open? Isn't that always wise? Knowledge is power, and the lack of it is powerlessness. You don't want to be powerless...
Read "Blinded by the Right," and "Stupid White Men." These books tell a lot. Blinded by the Right is from a former right winger--a former insider like DeVoy. Don't you think they know more about what really happens than you?
Did you know that more than 400 government and industry insiders, including many, many high ranking deep insiders have joined the DISCLOSURE project (www.disclosureproject.com)??? No, the media would not tell you about that. They wouldn't tell you that there are more suicides--or should I say "suicides"--in the military than in any other group, either.
No offense to anyone who lapsed into shamelessly humiliating someone who raised a scary and well documented point, but we all need to take responsibility and do what we can to not let faschism, etc. happen--even when you do not want to believe it.

"Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear - kept us in a
continuous stampede of patriotic fervor - with the cry of grave national
emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some
monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not
blindly rally behind it ..." -- General Douglas MacArthur, 1957

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of
the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being
attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing
the country to danger." -- Hermann Goering, at the Nuremberg Trials

Let's look at the reasoning here 08.Apr.2003 22:52

Abbie Normal

From the article:

"A couple of months ago I posted a message anonymously on Boston IndyMedia. Within minutes a comment was made in the name of one KOBE XIAN, a member of KOBE, that from my IP address they had determined that I was Stephen DeVoy. Note, my IP address was only visible to the system administrators of Boston IndyMedia."

Notice how DeVoy simply accepts "KOBE XIAN"'s contention that he had determined the authorship of the post from the IP.

There is another hypothesis which fits this set of facts equally well and does not multiply entities unnecessarily:

As any regular reader of Indymedia sites has probably noticed, DeVoy's posting style is so distinctive as to be immediately recognizable, even when he uses a sock puppet. "KOBE XIAN" could well have recognized the style of the post and seized the opportunity to make a false and intimidating claim of the "we know who you are and where you live" type beloved of cheap bullies everywhere.

The alternative hypothesis requires us to believe either that "KOBE XIAN" can gain access to the IPs of posters to the Boston IMC or that the IMC administrators are giving him access to this information, despite the fact that most IMCs don't log IPs.

Choosing to accept the more complex hypothesis in preference to a simpler one which also explains the observations is a serious misapplication of the Occam's Razor principle.

In addition, reasoning "If the Boston IMC were working for COINTELPRO they could give the IPs of posters to 'KOBE'; 'KOBE XIAN' recognized my identity in a post; therefore the Boston IMC is working for COINTELPRO" is an example of the fallacy of the Affirmed Consequent. This is when you reason according to the formula "If A, then B. B, therefore A".

This reasoning doesn't work. Unless you can eliminate every other possible antecedent for B, you can't conclude that the presence of B confirms any particular antecedent. (The reverse, however, does work. Reasoning "If A, then necessarily B; NOT B, therefore NOT A" is the basis for an awful lot of diagnostic thinking.)

The Affirmed Consequent fallacy is a particular favorite of paranoid conspiracy theorists. It forms the basis of most of the Moon Hoax twinkie arguments, along with the tendency to multiply entities.

"Not only does Boston IndyMedia delete posts that are critical of Israel, but Boston IndyMedia protects posts coming from members of the Free Republic."

Insofar as this relates to the claim that Boston Indymedia is in cahoots with "KOBE XIAN", this is either a non sequitur or an attempt at a collective version of the ad hominem argument: "their editorial policy is not in line with my ideology; therefore they are bad people; therefore my accusation is true".

"KOBE is associated with the Free Republic."

Associated in what way? Some of the assholes who call themselves "KOBE So-and-so" post on Free Republic?

I'm not sure exactly which logical fallacy this entire chain is, but the first part is another affirmed consequent:

"If KOBE were associated with Free Republic, KOBE people would post on free Republic; KOBE people post on Free Republic, therefore KOBE is associated with Free Republic".

Even jumping over the question of exactly what "associated" means in this context and simply accepting the above syllogism, using the intermediate conclusion in support of the contention that Boston IMC is working for COINTELPRO requires yet another affirmed consequent.

Boy, it really IS turtles all the way down.

"Even more disturbing is the fact that Boston Police Special Operations members have been posting unimpeded on Boston Indy Media."

O Horror, horror, horror! Unlike, say, Free Republic, the Boston IMC doesn't delete posts and ban people based on whether their opinions or identity is acceptable to Mr. DeVoy. Therefore, they must be working for The Man.

A look at the KOBE Web page confirms that there are a few NetLoons of the schoolyard-bully type who are getting their jollies by engaging in a cyber pissing match with Mr. DeVoy. It also shows that whoever put the site together hasn't the skills to create a Web page that doesn't hurt the eye.

A look at Mr. DeVoy's assorted Web sites, particularly his accounts of his cyber-feud with the pathetic bullies of KOBE shows a pattern argument by assertion and accusation, accusations that whoever disagrees with his opinions is working for The Enemy, claims supported by evidence which leads to the desired conclusion only by the liberal use of popular logical fallacies, claims of proof which can't be revealed, the use of "guilt by association" arguments and assertions of great danger posed by an entity which to the outside observer appears to be the lamest of threats...

This all seems familiar somehow. In fact, it bears a remarkable resemblance to the Bush regime's justifications for the war on Iraq.

All put together, the pattern of both KOBE and DeVoy adds up to a picture of two different species of NetLoon who feed off each other.