newswire article

imperialism & war

NATIONAL DAY OF DIRECT ACTION APRIL 7TH!!!!

In our collective efforts to build a mass movement of principled non-violent resistance to the U.S.-led war on Iraq, Direct Action to Stop the War (San Francisco/Bay Area) is calling a National Day of Direct Action and Civil Disobedience to Stop the War at Home and Abroad.
NATIONAL DAY OF DIRECT ACTION AND CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE
to Stop the War at Home and Abroad
MONDAY APRIL 7th, 2003

We call upon all cities, organizations, and individuals to organize
widespread non-cooperation focussing on: Federal and Government buildings
Oil corporations Arms manufacturers and transportation systems

On Monday April 7th, instead of going to work or school, sustain the
resistance to this war by participating in or supporting mass nonviolent
direct action in any way possible.

Our Goals:

1) If the government and corporations won't stop the war, we'll shut down the warmakers! We will raise the economic, social and political costs of waging this war, and continue to stop business as usual
until the warstops. We are publicly declaring and organizing mass
nonviolent direct action now with the express intention of stopping this war against Iraq and future wars.

2) Assert our power to transform our city from profits, oil and war to
resistance and life! We will create an open, welcoming, inspiring space
that gives voice to the anti-war majority as an assertion of real
democracy.

3) Uproot the system behind the war (and behind the war at homeracism, poverty); help catalyze mass movements to challenge corporate and government power and create socially just, directly democratic, ecological, peaceful alternatives.

For more information and resources on the National Day of DIRECT Action and Civil Disobedience, visit our Web site at actagainstwar.org

LET US KNOW IF YOU ARE TAKING ACTION!!!!
Email us at  outreachdasw@riseup.net

homepage: homepage: http://www.actagainstwar.org

i see 30.Mar.2003 23:12

hmm

hmm, so i guess this is one of those times where i should leave my ID at home then?...right on.

shut down the system! 30.Mar.2003 23:38

pissedstinker

Yeah! Shut down businesses! Disrupt local commerce!

This would make sense if the protests were more guided. They're less strategic than they are chaotic.

Do you stop to think of the smaller businesses that want nothing to do with this war? All they want is for enough customers to come in so they can pay the lease and order new stock.

I think too many activists are plagued by tunnel vision.

However, I do agree with the message, I'm just not sure I agree with the method.

Hell yes! 30.Mar.2003 23:38

REXELLA rexella2k@yahoo.com

Let's do it! Does anyone know where the office of the Portland Business Assoc. are? They seem like a perfect target considering their recent leaning on the Portland Powers-that-be... Please, can somebody call a meeting or something? Let's stop being so secretive!

REXELLA

Ah yes 30.Mar.2003 23:40

pissedstinker

REX, your timing was perfect as you posted right after my complaint.

Now, if someone wants to argue that the last protest was aimed and strategic, then I think that person should refresh their mental defenition of strategy.

shut down this 31.Mar.2003 02:38

Jeff jhunt@dropkick.org

When you hurt local small businesses, you're hurting yourself.

There are many local businesses owned by individuals that may be just as sympathetic to the anti-war cause as the next person. But when you suffocate their business, you're also cutting off their way of life. Just think about this - what would happen if you prevented the Peoples' Food Co-op or the Red And Black Cafe from doing business? You're not shutting down Citibank or AT&T - you are directly harming real human beings. And it's just the same when you prevent any of the number of small, individual- or family-owned businesses from conducting business as usual.

In addition, when you shut down transportation infrastructure, you are also endangering peoples' ways of life. I also share anti-war sentiments, but if anyone tried to stop me from getting to work, I wouldn't have any sympathy for them if they were arrested or challenged by police officers. When you shut down I-5 or clog up the bus mall, you could be preventing coke-snorting executives from going to their overpaid positions in their little ivory towers, but you're also preventing people who probably have to work much harder than most of the indymedia.org readers to earn meager, insufficient paychecks from getting to work.

Voices need to be heard, and this war needs to end now. But for crying out loud, please consider your brothers and sisters!

Jeff, think of your sisters and brothers 31.Mar.2003 08:38

Gertha

In response to Jeff (Hunt?), if we were to avoid all interference with the lives of our fellow citizens we would have to stay home. Our economic system is so complex and intertwined that messing with one aspect of it causes effects to other apparently unrelated parts of it. What's more, if we were able to actually stop some particular manifestation of that sytem we would arguably be causing some measure of real hardship for the ordinary working people associated with it. For example, if we were able to hold Union Carbide, Freeport McMoran, Monsanto, or Shell acountable for the sickening deeds they have perpetrated, those companies would no longer employ many thousands of people. But nevertheless, these corporate entities must be destroyed. Like those companies, the U.S. government (and a number of others), it's corporate masters, and indeed, the very sytem of thought that drives them, are responsible for millions and millions of deaths, the short and tortured lives of millions more, ecological destruction, and the creation of technologies that will haunt us, regardless of what we do for thousands of years.

Understand that the majority of us who carry out direct action against this war do not do so to simply "build a movement", or to influence foriegn policy on this one issue. I think this is the root of the misunderstanding between the "peace" movement and the "radicals". We are trying, with what little we have to work with, to fight against the entire structure of living that got us in this war. Some say we should bide our time, build our numbers however we can, and then maybe, when we are millions strong, we can act. I don't believe that for a second. I want nothing to do with building a movement with dishonesty. Let us live as close as we can to the way we should be living, with no compromise in our fight against those who are destroying lives, and just maybe, life on our world. We build our movement on that, nothing less. We go to the root cause, and thats where we start our fight. Every day that we fall short of victory it gets worse. Every day capitalism is allowed to march forward, thieving and destroying, tens of thousands die. We must destroy it, and create our own way. So it's not up to us to be carefull with your precious traffic infrastructure, it's up to you to join us and help build a new existence for everyone.

So, for crying out loud Jeff, consider YOUR sisters and brothers. Next time you're driving to the store, consider the numbers of them that have died to fuel your vehicle. Next time you flip on your lights, consider the near extinction of the Salmon. Next time you open your eyes or breath, consider the tens of millions of native people who were cut down and tilled into the strange loam of your Eden.
Then consider the millions more dying now! Disappearing into the wake of your infrastructure. From Iraq to Bolivia, from Nigeria to Myanmar. Then consider doing something about it.

Don't try it 31.Mar.2003 08:42

Victor Vet

I am so sick of the disruptive tactics of the far-left lunatic fringe of the anti-war movement. You will not gain any converts this way. Exactly the contrary. You will exasperate so many people with your childish, juvenile tantrums, that many who were undecided will go over to the pro-war side, if only out of disgust with your tactics. You are not going to shut down this city. How dare you arrogant hooligans try to tell ME that I can't move about my city freely. I don't care what you think your justification is, if you ever tried to stop ME from going into a building, I would slam your head into the pavement and step on your face to get through. You are making a lot of enemies now. The backlash is building. Perhaps that is a good thing.

Further More 31.Mar.2003 09:40

Vicot Vet

For centuries now, MY ancestors and finally ME, have railed against anyone who dared justify their resistance. Today it's ME, demanding to be let into whatever building I want, yesterday it was MY great-grandfather demanding to be let into the west, and look how right he was. Without MY great-grandfather smashing those Indians into the earth and stepping on their faces to get by, you sniveling little hooligans wouldn't have a sidewalk to stand on! If not for ME and MY kind, you wouldn't have the decimated cultures and economies of central america to make clothes for you. If not for ME the Viet-Cong would have over-run the United States and you all would be speaking Vietnamese. If not for MY insistance on the sacred nature of each individuals right to smash everyone that blocks one's access to whatever commerce that individual would like to transact your world would be horrible. I'M sooo special, and I never ever ever throw tantrums like you. Yes I miss the days of the Sedition act, internment camps, lynchings, and good ol' Joe McCarthy! Back then we knew how to handle trouble makers. Whew! I've worked up a bit of a sweat, hhmmm, smells a little like bacon...Well, my work here is done, now I'm off to make-out with my post-diet Rush Limbaugh plush doll.

how should it be done? 31.Mar.2003 10:00

Bitterhops

Just wondering how everyone who stops traffic, throws acid, and jumps up and down on top of vehicles would go about relieving the suffering that other people go through in order to preserve the "peace" as opposed to the war? I'm talking about the people like the ones being fed into plastic shredders and connected to car batteries. Is it as simple as destroying all of the evil corporations? Will that make all of the Saddam-like people in the world go away? Has the US created every leader who murders and tortures the people in their country? How would you remove someone like Saddam from power? Or should we even want to remove people like him from power? Should we just be happy if they are "contained" as long as it doesn't affect us?

We can remove our learders from power any time we want to vote. But voting is all just a big corporate scam, isn't it? So fuck it. Burn baby burn.

Granted, this war was started and is being fought for all the wrong reasons. It's about money. It's about power. It's also about money for France, Germany, and Russia while they protest so strongly for peace. They had nice contracts with Iraq that will probably be voided now. Personally I would rather have someone in power who allows protests than someone who makes every protester disappear. Someone like the "indy journalists" who threaten any other journalists who might take a picture of a burning flag, the breaking of a window, or what led up to a cop using pepper spray or making an arrest.

I saw the aftermath of Kent State. Maybe that is what is truly the goal, eh? Call for a peaceful protest and then have a few carry out planned violence against police. If someone gets killed, great. Kent State really turned the tide in a lot of peoples heads. That was the beginning of the end back then. If we are to the point that our troops are aiming at us, then whatever we are doing over there (Nam) isn't worth it. See 'ya!

It was kind of telling in the attitude expressed by the student from Reed that if someone dies because of a street being blocked, so be it. What's one death compared to the thousands who are dying in this war? How selfless! How noble to be willing to make such a sacrifice!

And what about the little dude with the bad hair openly trying to build nukes in North Korea? Why are we wanting to be patient and talk with him? Someone who continues his father's policy of holding three generations of a dissident's family in a "re-education camp" obviously inherited the wacked-out gene from dad.

So stop this war. Keep people from going home after working all day for averything and everyone evil. Break things. Threaten all the corporate media tools. Burn a couple of flags. Break a window at McDonalds or Starbucks. Have fun and be too cool. Cover your face though. Mom or Dad might see you.

The effect of your "cause" 31.Mar.2003 10:56

Rimsky news@musicaholics.org

I appreciate your comments Gertha, and you sound like an intelligent person, but I have to agree with Jeff.

My wife and I were very sympathetic to the anti-war movement. My wife was calling our congressman and DOING things. Now she is embarrassed to be associated with the peace movement and feels like she can no longer be a part of it, as do many of our friends and family. I think that a lot of people fall into this "sane" pro-peace category that you are alienating with your "direct action". If you really want to make a difference perhaps you should consider your demographic and try to change your methods to perhaps get some of the non-radicals off of the fence.

I am somewhat amused by the hypocrisy that I have seen. I work downtown and I've seen a lot of the protests thus far. I wonder how many of your soldiers for peace are on public assistance, reaping the benefits of the economic system that you seem to be so against. I wonder how many of them drive rather than using public transportation whenever they can, fuelling the so-called war for oil. I wonder how many gallons of gas have been wasted by people stuck in traffic downtown thanks to your "direct action". I wonder how much damage that the emissions from their vehicles have caused the environment thanks to your "direct action". Perhaps you should take some of your righteous indignation and do something a little more useful than smoking your bong, beating a drum, blocking traffic and disrupting MY life with your protests. If you want to protest the war, feel free. That's the great thing about our evil, capitalist society - if you don't agree with our country's leadership then you are free to voice your disapproval.

I do not agree with many of the words that have come out of our President's mouth over the past few months. I don't necessarily agree that war is the best answer. I DO know that you are not going to change my mind by making me spend an extra hour or more of my day on the bus or the MAX going to work or home. You are pissing off the people that you are trying to reach.

rimsky 31.Mar.2003 12:14

ewok

why do you allow actions of a few dictate your outlook on this movement? certainly we can agree that most folks out on the streets are not merely micro-focused eg: iraq invasion, in favt a lot of people are out there to bring attention to the fact that the iraq invasion is just one of the many steps needed in order to have advanced the United States in a territory which is needed to ensure that the u.s have a stranglehold on the middle east and essentially a turn into a zionist region. what will happen in the future with the middle east <in my most humble opinion> will look somehting like whats going on in israel and palestine <lets hope that the arab world unites>.....im not ok with u.s. unilateralism, nor any type of agreements or decisions that are not inclusive of the entire globe. corruption knows no boundries, which should be a reason to focus on grass-roots democracy and oust ALL of our current "elected" "representatives". I totally disagree with your argument that civil disobedience should not be carried out because it negates you from living your day to day life <what would make you STOP doing this-biz as usual>?, certainly our (the u.s) past behavior hasnt been enough.

"Civil Disobedience is as american as apple pie"-not sure who actually quoted this, but i found it here on indy. While im out there in the streets im not trying to convert anyone! laugh...that has to come from within, all i can do is educate the best i know how. I believe that most of the people that rally understand this. Sure there are those that may be a bit more rambuncious <sp>, but oh well...jeez, when the massive movement does happen, there will be much more to be concerned with then whether or not you are stuck in traffic. And no one should have to justify to you their personal choices: "if they are on state assistance", or "whether or not they took public trans to get to the rally"...i mean come on...really?!...the mere fact that we as humans are capable of questioning and critically think about something, is one of the most profound characteristics that seperates us from other species. it does not make my thoughts null and void if i critique the system in which i live in just because i may receieve state assistance or drove a vehicle to the protest <tho i do agree that there are boundries>....anwyays, sorry if this is really confusing to read...i just spew stuff out...without re-reading it....but i hope o have made some sense...thanks for allowing me the time

Direct Action 31.Mar.2003 12:29

M.E.

Instead of blocking traffic or other potentially divisive direct action, why don't we blockade the federal building? Or we could set up a "peace recruiting" table in front of military recruiting offices. I think there are some great possibilities here for directly relevant action... let's work on something here!

Attn: Rimsky 31.Mar.2003 13:27

Gertha

Thanks for your well-intentioned response, and just to shed a little light on the subject...neither myself nor the overwhelming majority of my friends smoke pot, drive, [infact I rarely even take public transit, preferring to make time for nice walks:?) (and have never owned a car, never will)], own bongos, or have ever been on welfare. This isn't to say that those who do some or all of these things are somehow evil, nor is it to say that I'm somehow more entitled to speak up or protest, just to remind some of you that jumping to conclusions about eachother is not only impolite, but can really limit what's out there to see/learn/do.

As I'm sure many have, I've given alot of thought to some of the issues surrounding the war/war protests, as well as conflict and protest in general, and don't take my own conclusions lightly. I hope I'm not offending anyone here, but this is a war over OIL (which is, of course, to say power)! I will not be real upset by the tantrums of those who's self-righteous individualism puts them in the position to be stuck in traffic ( a tactic, by the way, that I rarely condone, but find quite appropriate given the circumstances).

The only real reason people are still packing into their own cars every day is just that. It's expensive, dangerous, and not at all healthy, but this idea we have learned connecting self and commodity overpowers those facts. It's so sad, but so easy to see. When you come to see yourself and others as commodity (human resource, or whatever you want to call it), a third or more of your life nothing more than a token of exchange, it's a short leap to seeing in commodity a little bit (or much more)of self.

Follow-up 31.Mar.2003 16:51

Jeff jhunt@dropkick.org

To address what has been said since my last comment:

While I consider my political stance to be "left", or whatever you choose to call it, I choose to not let guilt control my life. Ever since the sun first shone on our planet, awful acts have been perpetrated against human kind, by human kind.

I am fully aware of the costs of modern life in a first-world nation. And I am also in favor of reducing our "footprint" on the planet. But you can't pin the guilt of our ancestors on me, because honestly, I wasn't around to commit those crimes! My mother's maiden name is "Rineheart" - should I feel guilty for how the Germans mistreated the Jews, Catholics, and homosexuals in WWII Germany, as if I had done it myself? Of course not. Should I have to apologize to every minority group that has been compromised in the past for something another white man did? No.

Furthermore, I believe that this "direct action" that is being proposed should be called what it actually ends up as being - "Vague Action". People who are stuck in traffic, or those whose shop windows are being busted up still DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO CONVEY. All they know is that they can't pick up their kids from school and that they're going to have to pay money out of their pocket to fix their window. Instead of just giving everybody a hard time, why don't you put the "direct" back in "direct action"? Take the bus to Washington, DC to tell your representative face-to-face that you don't support this war. But most importantly, if you're going to complicate other peoples' lives, tell them why you're doing it. Give them leaflets. Do something. Just don't think that you're helping them out when in fact they didn't ask for your help.

I appreciate that people are speaking out against the injustices being carried out, but I believe that their energy and motivation needs to be spent in more productive channels. If anyone is going to be defensive about their popular misconception, then perhaps it is time to explain your noble cause? Do something to let Portland and the world know that you're not a bunch of bandwagoning, whiney brats. Maybe then you will win more sympathy from the other side of the fence.

Follow-up 31.Mar.2003 16:52

Jeff jhunt@dropkick.org

To address what has been said since my last comment:

One more thing.... 31.Mar.2003 17:09

Jeff jhunt@dropkick.org

I forgot to mention to Gertha:
1. I don't drive. I take public transportation, walk, and ride my bicycle. I also used to own a scooter that got 90 miles to the gallon.
2. You can't tell me how guilty I should feel for living the life I do, unless you: A. Live in a home without electricity, B. Have never set foot in a vehicle that uses internal combustion, C. Don't breathe or ever open your eyes, and D. don't eat food. What is YOUR "strange eden" like, Gertha? How many salmon were killed to power your computer (or the computer you're using at this moment)? How many Taiwanese children were paid five cents an hour to make the cables in that computer?

If you're going to spout socialist propaganda, then maybe you should move out of your glass house before you throw stones at mine.

Oh, and speaking of which - I live in a shitty house in SE Portland with three other people, and we each pay $220 a month in rent. Just so you know that you're conversing with someone who is probably no better off financially than yourself :)