newswire article

Evicted from Home due to New Seasons on 20th and Division

My friends were evicted from their home and were encouraged to reapply to rent there with a nearly 50% rent increase from $960 to $1460. If anyone else experiences this please contact me ASAP
7 corners 30.Mar.2003 22:19

X

What has this got to do with New Seasons?

FYI: as you probably know there used to be a Red Apple grocery store in that space. They lost their lease a few months ago - I am not sure if the building was sold or if the owners just decided to change. At one point I heard from folks who work in the neighborhood that the whole building including the Wash World was to be torn down and some gentrified stuff was to be built there, but apparently that's not happening immediately.

If anyone else knows what is going on in the Seven Corners (Ladd / Division / 20th) area please say so?

New SEasons 30.Mar.2003 22:46

teegee

Evicted?.....why? 30.Mar.2003 23:03

Ferd Burfel

Why continue to be a victim?

This "system" we live in provides numerous opportunities to get out from under rent slavery.

My honest appraisal is that most renters have a victim mentality. They would rather drink beer and watch tv than make the effort to buy, build or refurbish homes.

It is startlingly simple to build a house. All of the skills are completely accessable, and the materials are cheap...often free. What it does take is dedication and a commitment to spending your time on the project.

I have seen immigrant families, with no resources other than sweat and ingenuity build houses.

Why not you???

Ferd

To Ferd 30.Mar.2003 23:31

EH

Please post some resources for people who are interested in acquiring land/property in unconventional ways... thanks.

Resources 31.Mar.2003 00:12

Ferd

Glad to have recieved a comment!

Resources:

Sweat
Hammers
Crowbars
Friends...co-owners
Dumpsters for materials

Sorry that these resources aren't clickable, they are instead a product of ones determination and effort.

My story: I quit school at 15. I worked two minimum wage jobs to scrape together a $1000 down payment, and purchased a house that had been involved in a fire. The house had been condemmened to be bulldozed by the city of Portland, but i appealed the decision and got to repair it.

By the time i was 16 i had completed the repairs, and sold the house for a HUGE profit. Since that time, i have completed many other such projects.

Each project was unique, and none of them were in move in condition.

Today, i own many rental properties. When i visit the properties, i observe tennants drinking beer and watching television. Suits me fine. They pay the rent and make me rich while impoverishing themselves

People who put forth the effort will always come out ahead.

Good luck

Resources 31.Mar.2003 00:12

Ferd

Glad to have recieved a comment!

Resources:

Sweat
Hammers
Crowbars
Friends...co-owners
Dumpsters for materials

Each project was unique, and none of them were in move in condition.

People who put forth the effort will always come out ahead.

Good luck

landowner 31.Mar.2003 10:35

mrLady

i'm sorry. i have an aversion to "owning land."

i do rent. i'd rather have somebody else own the land. my own personal guilt i guess. until all land is public again.

where's the squatting scene in portland?

cool! 31.Mar.2003 11:36

excellent

>>New Seasons has bought the Red Apple property and is opening a store there in the near future.
-------------

THAT ROCKS!

Welcome New Seasons! 29.Aug.2003 12:36

Clark puddlestomper@earthlink.net

I'm having a hard time figuring out what all this opposition to New Seasons is about. People's never suffered for a second when Nature's opened up a store on Division and it's not going to suffer from New Season's opening a store either. It just creates a natural foods-oriented neighborhood. It's a locally owned business that is going to contribute 160 jobs to the neighborhood. Oh wait, but jobs are bad right? People who actually earn money are known to buy things and thereby drive gentrification, making the neighborhood unaffordable for for the old timers. Is that how it works?

If we guaged a grocery store's value to the society by the number of acres of organic agriculture it supports, New Seasons would rank above every other independent, local retailer in Portland, including the co-ops. From what I've seen and know, the owners really are local and they really do care about the community. I for one am really excited to welcome such a vibrant, friendly business to the neighborhood.