newswire article portland metro

80% of calls to major Katz ask the police to use MORE FORCE against protesters

80% of calls to major Katz ask the police to use MORE FORCE against protesters
I just got off the phone with spokesperson for the mayor (Sarah Bott). She said they've been getting HUNDREDS of calls about the protests. 80% of callers want the police to use MORE FORCE against protesters.
Call the mayor at 503-823-4120. Tell everyone to call. Or fax, e-mail, write. Those addresses, numbers are on another posting.
what would you expect?? 26.Mar.2003 11:18

your name

What would you expect?? A majority of the public "support" the brutal and illegal butchery going on in Iraq, so why wouldn't they want war protesters to get whacked harder? After all we're creating a minor interuption to their routine of coffee, commuting, and commercialism.

More Force? 26.Mar.2003 11:20

metal mike

i just got of the phone with vera - she said she is going to personally start beating protestors with her Strap On....incoming!

if this country is so bad .. get the F out 26.Mar.2003 11:50

someone who cares

you F'ing hypocrites are amazing

Get the F out of my country if you hate it so much!

Canada is only 328 miles away

"asserting" your rights, doesnt mean you can walk all over others. Your definitions as the way they benefit your group and agenda is pretty F'ed up.

Pushing for a State-of-Emergency Order? 26.Mar.2003 11:57

counterprop

Local TV News has the official cop-spokes saying that the expense of the downtown police presence has become so huge that it is beyond the capability of the Portland police budget.

Perhaps this latest "going broke" cry could be interpreted as a message to downtown merchants to ease their pressure on the City for such a heavy-handed force to re-domesticate "their" streets.

Then again, it could be a message to the State to declare an emergency for the purpose of getting federal funds to cover policing costs. That would be a foot in a door that could open wide for a federalized martial-law clamp-down.

First Amendment 26.Mar.2003 12:53

theinnerlight theinnerlight@excite.com

"Congress shall make now law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." The Founding Fathers thought these rights were so important that they included them in the First Amendment. Protesting is constitutional and American. If you squelch potests, you squelch fundamental American rights.

To: someone who cares 26.Mar.2003 12:56

3rd Infantry Division Vet Who Hates Fascim

I payed my dues as an Army veteran, and I have a fundamental right and duty to resist the illegal and immoral takeover of my government, and the subsequent illegal and immoral neverending war and atrocious attack on the rule of law.

I love my country and democracy, and I plan to stay. What rights do you believe are being trampled? Why should I leave instead of you? If you support what is going on, why aren't you over there fighting?

When I was in the military in Germany, I did not have access to good information; mostly military propoganda media. I depended on the people back home to make sure that our government was headed in the right direction. The people on the front lines of the war are subjected to systematic brainwashing, and lack the information to make an intelligent decision about what is going on.

They are depending on us to do the right thing, whether they know it or not.

I did not particularly enjoy the military, but I did serve honorably, received awards and medals, and fulfilled my obligation. Despite my dislike of the military, if I thought that my country was defending itself and not simply engaging in morally corrupt military adventurism, I would consider joining the fight. How about you?

The First Amendment 26.Mar.2003 12:59

theinnerlight theinnerlight@excite.com

"Congress shall make now law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people PEACEABLY TO ASSEMBLE, and to PETITION THE GOVERNMENT for a redress of grievances."

The Founding Fathers thought these rights were so important that they included them in the FIRST Amendment. Protesting is constitutional and American. If you squelch potests, you squelch fundamental American rights.

And if you don't like seeing people exercise their First Amendment rights, YOU can go to Canada.

Do You Really Care? 26.Mar.2003 14:18

ranger (173rd Airborne Brigade - Sep)

I will back up my 3rd Marine vet brother. If you care, you would not allow the government to highjack your liberties and enter a war of aggression in which there is little documented basis for our presence. I believe it is our responsibility, as a citizen to speak out loud and clearly to everyone. Almost every single combat veteran I have personally spoken to recently has been vocal against this war.

The Key Word is Peaceful 26.Mar.2003 14:38

!

Vandalism, blocking traffic and pedestrian movement, hitting cars as you pass, "shutting down" the city -- this isn't peaceful. You have no right.

definitions 26.Mar.2003 16:07

dj tubesteak

How exactly is blocking traffic 'not peaceful'? Are you suggesting that a person's mere phyical presence in a public space, combined with rather difficult to avoid laws of physics, can somehow be construed as 'violent'? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Unless you're one of those idiot crybabies who think that people using public streets for anything other than automotive traffic (i.e. Thanksgiving parades, St. Patrick's Day parades) infringes on your so-called 'freedom of movement.' Personally, I've never found my freedom of movement to be hampered by parades or political demonstrations. What's my secret? It's called PARK THE NAVIGATOR, OPEN THE DOOR, GET YOUR FAT LAZY ASS OUT OF THE CAR AND WALK. Or you can even leave it at home (or, in my case, leave it at the dealership for some other pathetic suburbanite loser to buy); Portland does have one of the best public-transit systems in the country. Unless you really get off that much on the 'Driving Excitement', in which case I have nothing but pity for you and your sad, little existence.

Nonsense: response to [!] 26.Mar.2003 16:35

3rd Infantry Division Vet Who Hates Fascim

Vandalism: Targetting corporations like McDonalds who pose a real human health threat without accepting the externalized costs that we all must face as a result, customers and non, is a cost of doing business for those who demonstrate such blatant disregard for human health in the persuit of profit. Targetting virtual monopolies such as Clear Channel, is perfectly legitimate, since this corporation uses its anti-free-market dominance to spread propoganda and constant mainipulation of the public in a way that puts us all in great danger, and undermines democracy. I do not participate in actions against these corporations and do not advocate property destruction. At the same time, I do not condemn these actions if people believe these tactics to be effective.

Blocking traffic: The police do a far better job of doing this than demonstrators do. Automobiles jam all types of traffic daily yet I don't hear much outrage over it. A lot of folks seem to think they have a 'right' to drive an automobile. They do not, and if anyone can provide a supporting legal arguement for their belief that driving is a right, rather than a priviledge, I would love to see it. I have never seen a demonstration intentionally prevent a person (automobiles do not apply) from passing. Police do intentionally block passage constantly as a matter of policy. The police chronicly disregard traffic laws and fail to inforce them. It is extremely dangerous to cross at several marked crosswalks around town due to increasingly dangerous driving habbits and the incompetant enforcement of traffic laws that protect pedestrians. Traffic includes bicycles and pedestrians, and pedestrians correctly have a paramount right to passage over automobiles. A person who assumes the priviledge of operating a several thousand pound machine bear the responsibility for doing so with the utmost attention to doing so safely.

Hitting cars as you pass: This almost never happens, even though it is contantly alleged by the police and the media. I am proud of the overall restraint of my fellow dissenters, despite some dangerous aggression and verbal abuse. The times that I have seen this happen, there has been no damage as a result, and it is usually as a response to aggression. Many young folks are on the streets. If you made it through your adolescence without doing anything stupid out of passion, then congratulations.

"shutting down" the city: There is nothing violent about standing or sitting somewhere to voice dissent. This is a costitutionally protected activity and the constitution describes no reqirement for a permit to exercise this right, nor does it restrict locations where this activity can take place. Singapore, in contrast, has all kinds of harsh restrictions with respect to public behavior. Perhaps you would be more comfortable there, unencumbered by that pesky US Constitution.

RE: 26.Mar.2003 17:10

Poop on War

...except that public transportation is getting blocked as well, but that's another point.

Overall, as diverse as this anti-war movement is, I'm amazed at just how peaceful we are (minus the occasional assaults on PPD and PPM heads- one officer I hear who got hit on the Steel Bridge is still badly hurt). And I can't believe we've come to a point in this country where citizens getting stuck in traffic or having to make a detour consider that violent protesting. It shows how attached our civilization is on what we've constructed. But it's just stuff, just cars, just a stupid system. It can't compete with the human spirit's search for REAL freedom, not just MARKET freedom.

And for the argument that we shouldn't take over the streets and freeways because of a POSSIBLE emergency is ludicrous. How many protests have been broken up (intentionally or unintentionally) by ambulances and fire trucks racing by. And all highways I've been on I see those vehicles usually just use the shoulder anyway...

props to 3rd infantry guy 26.Mar.2003 17:47

lsw

Wow! What a well thought out argument. I couldn't agree more. The truth is, what is happening to america now is unamerican. I'm no patriot -- I think blind patriotism breeds ignorance and zenophobia -- but I know GWB is a traitor, and the american people are being suckered by bushco. These people do NOT represent us, they were NOT elected. This is an illegitimate government, operating because thugs like those here in PDX are helping to prop it up as the result of years of mind-numbing media propaganda.

When everyone snaps out of the trance, the PDX police will be looking as sheepish as the brownshirts looked after the fall of the Nazis.