newswire article portland metro

imperialism & war

PDX F15: Young women arrested for civil disobedience have been released

this just in
the two young women who were arrested for nonviolent civil disobedience today in portland (for sitting down in the middle of the Broadway and not moving, YAY!) have been released. charges are minor (disturbing the peace - i think, interfering with a police officer, the perennial resisting arrest). no word on the young man who sat with him or the other young man who was arrested for walking his bicycle nearby at the time, but with the jails taking no new people (due to budget cuts) it is likely that they will be out soon, if they haven't been released already.

the young woman i spoke to was in good spirits and confirmed that the action was a spontaneous one, not pre-planned.

photos of their action and the arrests will be posted here later.

these people were BEAUTIFUL today and i express here my admiration for them!
What Happened After 2:30? 15.Feb.2003 21:42

Thena

I started with the march in the North Park Blocks but by the time we crossed the Hawthorne Bridge and got back downtown I couldn't keep up and had to drop out. (We probably marched four or five miles today, guys!)

Last thing I saw as I was taking the bus (about 3:15) were the cops with riot shields heading toward the South Park Blocks. Has anybody posted a report of what happened at the end of the march?

This is the news! 15.Feb.2003 23:23

Joseph Andrus ckid2012@hotmail.com

Hello,
my name is Joseph Andrus, and I was one of the 4 people arrested today after having commited an act of cival dis-obediance. I was released around 9:00 this evening, facing resisting arrest charges and some obstuction charge. My fines are toteld around $4000.00.
Having experienced what I did today, I have no regrets. I feel it was nessasary to bring attention to the people at home watching their tv's, of what it is thats really going on in their city. To shift their focus, and allow them to see our perspective, (the peoples perspective) instead of some vague,lying,and murdering goverments perspective. I for one will not let the media ignor us and report only what it's sponsers tell it to. By taking the action I and others took today we forced them to see,and show to others, an alternative to more ignorence and disinformation. I feel it is our reponsibility as protesters to use actions (such as the one's used today) to take back the media and report whats really happening instead of being told how we feel and fed more war popaganda. We are the news! The more they see what's really going on, the more they will have to think, the more they will have to ask themselves if their really ok with whats happening, and the more they will have to realize that maybe there is more going on with this war than what meets the eye. There are millons of lives at stake and we cant afford ourselves as a country to not know what's going on. Just because your alive dosent mean your living, and when and if this war happens it will be our lives,the lives of children, as well as the lives of millons of innocent people, that will be at stake.
I feel like I now have the oppurtunity to assume reponsibility of becoming informed ( with facts and not opinions) and informing others. I hope to find support in obtaining information on all these current events and be able to create and sustain a network in which to help inform others and allow them to more importantly inform themselves. Please feel free to contact me with opinons and information on anything that will help us all to be informed and aware of all the facts. I appreciate all of your guy's support today and would love any photos,articals, or footage of what went on today. Thank you again. Much Love and Peace,

Joseph

503-493-2610

corporate media doing its "job" 15.Feb.2003 23:26

A.R.M

i was appalled at the coverage Fox news gave (not suprisingly). It was no wonder that the only people they talked to (or showed) were those that were apparently "annoyed" by the traffic jam. It was also not a wonder to me that they did not show the people who honked in support and the women who got out of her car with her daughter and clapped along with us. What is a wonder to me is how people can be so self centered as to be annoyed that we were taking up a few moments of their prescious time. Ive seen worse traffic jams on country highways.
-Fox News and other corporate media give us just one more reason to take back the streets and speak out!
see you next time.

Thanks Joseph! 15.Feb.2003 23:41

bov

What do protestors do who get fines of $4000??

Thanks for this action and for standing up against the dark side.

arrested for nothing? 15.Feb.2003 23:42

marcher

i am of the opinion that blocking traffic today did more harm than good. it didn't really achieve anything but piss off a few drivers. if any of those drivers were on the fence over the war issue they certainly would not be inclined to support the anti-war effort after today. to those arrested: what a waste of $4000. i apprecite your sentiments but was it worth it? all you did was get a message to a few people at the front of the traffic jam. the march reached hundreds of people.

on a positive note: the march was excellent (all the more so for being unpermitted and random. there were more people in support than oppossed to it. this cannot be said about the intersection block/sit-down.

civil disobedience is great when it achieves something.

How have we let it come to this? 16.Feb.2003 02:55

Jon Dickson jon.dickson@attbi.com

Hello all! What a day, huh? I am Jon Dickson- a peaceful antiwar supporter living in this wonderful town. A attend most of the marches and rallies here in Portland and I must say today's had the most energy- which at some points rivaled the energy experienced at the A22 protest. People were fired up. We took to the streets when we wanted, how we wanted and where we wanted. It proves that we all are capable of doing anything we put our minds to. I was riding my bike along with the march all day corking traffic and having a wonderful time. As we ended the march at the south park blocks, I heard that people were stopping traffic on Broadway. I immediately returned to the intersection, where I took a place in the road with my bike. Now, as people have said in above posts, civil disobedience is good, but only when it accomplishes something. I strongly agree with this, but how can civil disobedience accomplish something when everyone sits back and says, "Oh, that won't accomplish anything. I am going to stand back and watch." With that attitude civil disobedience accomplishes nothing. We need to start realizing that the power is in our hands.

The five or six hours I spent in the justice center today under the custody of my so called protectors was a very tormenting experience. The environment of the building and the attitudes of its employees is that of an evil empire churning its wheels of power and greed, slowly doing away with civility and compassion. I was arrested for no reason and with no provocation. I was never read my rights and no one ever informed me of my charges or the name or badge number of the arresting officer. The wrinkled, unintelligible scarp of paper given to me as my ticket explains nothing other than the fact that if I don't go to court on March 3rd, I am to be hunted down like a rodent.

I am an American. I believe in what our country stands for, but our country does not stand for what I believe in. I wake up everyday with this weight on my chest. It's the weight of oppression. The unnatural turn our society has taken is wearing away our ability to think independently and intelligently. WE MUST STAND UP FOR WHAT WE BELIVE IN! I CAN NOT ALLOW OUR PEACELOVING COUNTRY TO BE SWALLOWED BY THE GAPEING THROAT OF EVIL AND MADNESS! STAND UP! GET OUT THERE AND TAKE PART! DON'T STAND BACK AND BE A WATCHER! WE HAVE THE POWER!

Ok, now that I have gotten that out I feel much better. If anyone has any information they would like to share or video/footage of the arrests today, please let me know. Also I am unfortunately ignorant to many laws. If anyone could provide me with legal advice about the circumstances surrounding my arrest, it would be greatly appreciated. My contacts information should be published above. Thanks to everyone's energy today and hope next time I see even more faces and feel twice the energy!

Peace!

Peace!

503-201-0069
807 SW 14th Ave

thank you 16.Feb.2003 13:13

a

two things.

first, THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO WAS INVOLVED IN SATURDAYS CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE AND TO EVERYONE WHO SUPPORTED SATURDAYS CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE!!!!!!

yesterday was a huge success (some of it a bit frustrating, but i'll get to that later)

thank you to those who were arrested, thank you to those who took footage of the event, thank you to those who made phone calls to arressetee's family/friends, thank you to the critical massers and all those with bikes for taking up the street and protecting others, thank you to all who spoke with angry drivers (there are worse things to get upset about...innocent children dying comes to mind), thank you to everyone who offered words of support and encouragment throughout the whole action, thank you to the guy with the bike who was on top of any harrassment by the police throughout the day who chanted 'peaceful protest, peaceful protestors' (often times alone) on the side of the rode as people were being placed in police cars (you fuckin rock!), thank you to everyone who was prepared and either had contact phone numbers for folks or who were gathering phone numbers from folks, thank you to everyone who has been posting to indymedia and speaking the truth, and thank you to everyone who understands why yesterday's actions were so important and to everyone who understands that civil disobedience is one of the only tools we have left and it IS a success if people are willing to join in and SUPPORT each other. i understand that not everyone is in a place to be arresseted and that is fine, there were many many people yesterday who did not get arresseted who are so amazing and beautiful and beneficial to the revolution.

thank you all. you know who you are.

second thing, and this is short, i don't want to dwell on the negative too much-

i am very disappointed in everyone who said/are saying that yesterday's actions were 'disappointing', 'stupid', etc. SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT.

hopefully yesterday has sparked some great conversations amongst folks and hopefully more and more peolpe are realizing that we need to come together in much more direct ways.

i'm just going to copy part of jon's post above because he said it perfectly-

'...civil disobedience is good, but only when it accomplishes something. I strongly agree with this, but how can civil disobedience accomplish something when everyone sits back and says, "Oh, that won't accomplish anything. I am going to stand back and watch." With that attitude civil disobedience accomplishes nothing. We need to start realizing that the power is in our hands.'

tactical error 16.Feb.2003 15:32

marcher

i support any action that i think will win support against the war. i condone the trashing of the recruitment center. but i still don't condone the sit down on broadway because tactictly it did more harm than good (in my opinion). REPEAT: civil disobidience is good when it accomplishes something.

if we all supported it (and i did because i'm still going to back people's spur of the moment tactical decisions) up against the cops) . but what could it achieve, a traffic jam, carbon monoxide overload, angry drivers (who may have been against the war anyway). if we were blocking the national guard or occupying a recruitment center or sitting down city hall until they pass an anti-war resolution then i could see the goal.

those that sat got arrested. those that stood were not. why wsate your time, money, criminal record etc. to sit down for that??

anyway, just my opinion. good luck clearing that shit up.

Arrest marred a great day 16.Feb.2003 18:54

radad

Dear Portland's "finest," I know that you read this column, so read this:
As a former police officer, who has seen plenty of action on your side
of the thin blue line, I have many times been ashamed of you, and the
way that you react to every public confrontation. August 22 was a sham,
and you were exceedingly fortunate that no one was killed in the
aftermath of your ramping up the action with needless violence
perpatrated against peaceful demonstrators and their children.
Today, however, I was proud (for awhile) and pleased to see that you had
apparently learned a little from past mistakes. Some fine officers were
even walking with the marchers, causing many positive reactions, and
favorable public relations were gained. At one point, a couple of
officers were even seen bent over, assisting a marcher with some problem
that she had with her bicycle. Well, all those attaboys went firmly
marching down the shitter when George Goble, (or whoever the dickhead
with the toothbrush hairdo and pig snout is) determined that it was
time, once again to ramp things up, get into your android suits, and
start indescriminately spraying people. FOOL! You should be relieved of
command and given a walking beat on Council Crest! DO YOU NOT REALIZE
THAT PEPPER SPRAY AND GAS MASKS CAN EASILLY BE OBTAINED BY THE
MULTITUDES? Do you not know that you are endagering your safety, as well
as the safety of everyone else, when you in your lack of intellect,
determine to make a fight out of what could be a meaningful intercourse?
Are you so much determined to mimick our unelected "leader," that you
would make war where there is none? Trust me fool, your time to taste
pepper spray is coming...As your bastard of the "supreme" court would say, if he
could string three words together, it is reprehensible to use chemical weapons on
your own people. I notice that you picked on a few small (but not helpless)women
to work out your masculinity issues. Shame!

learn what your rights really are 17.Feb.2003 19:07

take u to school

To Jon Dickinson (you must be "blondie")

Before you spout off what you think rights are, first learn them. Miranda only needs to be recited to you prior to questioning. If it is not, then any statements you make cannot be used against you. It is not your "right" to be advised of your rights. Get a clue.
And as far as getting your 'message' out to people, all I heard on the news was 4 people arrested for beating on cars. KEX talkshow hosts referred to you as 'mini-terrorists'. So much for gaining support!
And as far as jail, duh, they didn't design it to be a nice place to visit. I bet with a little thought you may be able to figure out why. Just be glad it's climate controlled and they offered you a balogna sandwich, courtesy of the tax payers of Multnomah County. In a time where the county can't afford to intake car thieves, you have the odacity to get yourself arrested and sap more of those precious resources, because you knew when you interfered with traffic, you would and desired to be arrested. I am sure you were warned to move on before arrested and you ignored it.
You'd probably be better off getting your message across taking out ads on TV, radio, and newspaper. $4,000 better spent....but you wouldnt want to support 'corporate media' now, would you?

Please, be understanding. 18.Feb.2003 00:03

Jon Dickson jon.dickson@attbi.com

Please, sit back and think logically. What I am worried about here is the fact that we have come to this disgraceful situation. I did not go to the rally intending to get arrested, nor did I commit any crime to cause my arrest. I was in the streets on Saturday to release the frustrations I feel towards society. Why have our lives taken this unnatural spin that has altered our ways of thinking and destroyed our morals and family values? My actions our out of frustration and confusion. I am a natural human being, no different than any animal on this earth, yet I can not live in equilibrium with my environment. I am forced to live in an unnatural society that forces me to act in unnatural ways. I am not willing to accept this.

Furthermore, I personally feel that Indy Media should be reserved for positive messages. I agree with many things take u to school said. I regret getting arrested on Saturday. I had no intentions of causing any problems. My main concern at the time was to help the people sitting in the street. Although it might not be a well organized act of civil disobedience, it is still a demonstration of our ability to control our environment and being. It did nothing to cause my arrest- which included charges of harassment and disorderly conduct- and feel that I was a victim of police stupidity. I hope that people can understand where I am coming from. I am a simple person that wishes everyday for a peaceful, understanding society that is capable of sustaining and governing itself. It is a very possible outcome for human beings, if only the masses would realize their potential.

Please do not alienate me because I act in frustration. What else is there to do? We need to stand up and realize our potential and ability. Please do not criticize me. Help me, help us. Tell us your thoughts and tactics? What can we do? If anyone still feels the need to criticize me, contact me by email at  jon.dickson@attbi.com

Peace

follow up 18.Feb.2003 12:38

take u to school

I guess I was reacting in frustration also. While the act of protesting is constitutionally protected, you are aloud to do what you want without infringing on the rights of others. Often times, allowance for protests to infringe on other's rights to free travel and peacefulness are forgone to allow for your right to protest. However, there must be a line in the sand. It seems that at every protest, there has to be a group to push it. I do not see any positives. Your cause is lost in the news because the fact that you were arrested shadows your cause. The media seems to be turning the heat off the police and focusing on the protesters bad behavior. This may be a critical point protesters need to consider.
Some posts are encouraging acts of violence or storming malls and recruiting centers. Some protesters are seen on T.V. with bandanas and disguises, suggesting an intent to commit illegal acts. The average person does not want their city ravaged, but may share your beliefs. You risk losing that if you carry out illegal or disruptive acts. These believers may distance themselves from your cause to avoid being associated with the outlaws.
As far as your acts specifically, try looking up the legal definitions to the crimes you were charges with at the local library. This should give you the insight you need into the legal basis for your arrest. However, consider the bigger picture. The protest was allowed to proceed without a permit (a past sticking point). The police monitored the crowd from within your midsts (can this be an olive branch?). It wasn't until you and others sat in the street that this near perfect protest was nicked with pepper spray and arrests.
I do not put you in the catagory of the anarchists who do nothing for the livabilty of this great city. But wish to caution all those that take to the streets to take up their causes. Mob mentality and frustration can overcome a single person to the point that they can do more harm than good.
Hindsight is 20/20, and we are aloud to regret our pasts. Mistakes are for good, if we learn from them.