Until fair and democratic elections (instant run-off and proportional representation like real democratic countries) become a reality in the United States, we are stuck with our "winner-take-all" system. It means that voting for the party we like, whether it's the Green Party, the Socialist Worker's Party, the Communist Party, the Working Family's Party, the Labor Party, or the Wild Party only makes us accomplices in the crime of siphoning votes away from the left and ensuring a far-right victory.
To this end, I suggest the following:
- If the Democratic candidate is a progressive (a la McKinney, Lee, Wellstone, etc.), vote Democratic.
- If the Democrat is a corrupt, gentrifying, neoliberal, corporate ass-kissing facist imperialist, vote Green.
- If the Democrat is wishy-washy, but the Republican is a megafacist pig and ahead in the polls, vote for the lesser of the two evils-- the Democrat.
- If the Green is running a very, very, very close third in the previous scenario, vote Green.
- If both the Democrat and Republican candidates are moderates, vote Green.
- If both the Democrat and Republican candidates are neoliberal facist war-mongering pigs, vote Green.
- Think twice about straight-ticket voting, regardless of party affiliation.