newswire article portland metro

bikes/transportation

BICYCLIST TICKETS SUV'S

Gorilla Theater tactics used in Downtown Portland
BICYCLIST TICKETS SUV'S
BICYCLIST TICKETS SUV'S
Yesterday, unable to make the Noon gathering at Pioneer Courthouse Square, but still wanting to do something on my own, I decided how to take advantage of a "fake ticket" that I had been e-mailed on Friday before leaving for Critical Mass. Using a whistle, on my bike, I pulled in front of 6 large SUV's, successfully got them to stop, laid my bike down in front of them and then walked back to the driver. "Do you know why I stopped you? I am going to have to give you a ticket for contributing to the destruction of the environment, the health of the inhabitants of the planet and also as an addict to middle-east oil." Because what I did was SO ABSURD, I only received one negative response. 5 of the 6 drivers accepted the "ticket" and 1 even told me that she works in downtown and only uses her car to shop and recreate, the rest of the time using bike and public transit and was going to make copies of the "ticket" and give to others.
Yes, it is absurd, can be dangerous if a driver tries to run you over when stopping them, and if caught by PPB, would get at least a ticket if not arrest. But it is FUN! The PDF file does best if printed in color, looking like a real ticket. If you want to take less dangerous tactic, just place it under their windshield wiper, but most likely it will just become trash... the gorilla-theater tactic does work.
here's one of the tickets 27.Oct.2002 10:01

digcam boy

here's one of the tickets
here's one of the tickets

Great idea DancerDolphin 27.Oct.2002 10:28

Artemis 2

That is really good. Also sounds like it was a
positive way to remind the gas hoggers.
Did you read that comment by that robot
Kate Sheile (sic) in the WW?
She bragged about driving 30,000 miles
per year instead of 20,000.
And that she drives a Navigator and not an
Explorer.Geez what a creep..really.Can we download that ticket form anywhere?

Tickets are fun and edumacational 27.Oct.2002 12:08

eddy

Yup, my wife got one of these tix under her windshield and we loved it. It reminded us that we must either purchase a better gas mileage car next time, or better yet, buy no more cars at all!
We bought a 4x4 Jeep 'cuz we lived in a place with blizzards. Then we moved here, and well, we still have the Jeep. It's small by today's SUV standards but still a gas hog.
PLEASE PRINT AND ISSUE MORE TICKETS!

HAHAHAHAHA 27.Oct.2002 14:22

Yani

I'll always drive an SUV and you ont get me to change squat. I don't advise laying your bike down in front of me an approaching me either....:) You could be in for a big suprise, so to speak.

I guess we "on't" get you to spell well Yani 27.Oct.2002 19:23

mrraven

Proof positive SUV drivers are dumb as posts. Keep issuing those tickets and shaming those assholes!

A slight quibble 27.Oct.2002 19:43

clabber grrrl

This is great but there is a mistake on the ticket -- the single most important environmental choice you can make is not the choice of vehicle you drive, it is WHETHER OR NOT YOU EAT MEAT. Each calorie of protein from animal sources consumes TEN TIMES as much fossil fuel as a calorie from plant sources.

A vegetarian who drives consumes less fossil fuel than a meat-eater who walks.

Shhhhh, clabber grrrl 27.Oct.2002 19:51

A masser

Shhhhhhh. Please keep it down, clabber grrr. You'll disturb the revolutionaries who think I'm a "peace nazi" for not wanting to run red lights during mass, but then turn around grab a burger after the mass.

Peace Dudes 28.Oct.2002 08:30

ranger

Large gas guzzling SUV's (stupid useless vehicles) are idiotic and, unless you are transported on a regular basis, loads of kids, you don't need one in Portland. There are some vehicles that are okay, in my mind, pickup trucks for those who regularly haul shit, smaller SUV's with decent gas mileage et al. Expeditions? Absolutely no excuse for that piece of crap. Ticketing these types is good theatre and may make some people feel guilty and think about their choices. That said however, there is some hypocracy with SOME individuals referred to by the poster above. The habits on non-SUV'ers can be just as bad for the environment. You need to be careful, few are perfect in this world, so you need to be aware that we do not become too self-righteous. The same goes for the anti-Starbucks crowd. If you don't like their corporate follies and you drink any coke product, you're no better than a Starbuck's customer, if you have any Nike products or wear a swoosh on anything, same thing. There are many villains out there, and you may be supporting any one of them. Not all SUV'ers are evil, not all Starbuck drinkers are smiling yuppies. Who said any of the other shops are purchasing fairly traded coffees? All I am saying is, don't generalize. And as far as the mean spirited SUV driver (above), you're acting like an asshole and should be ticketed. Come on, fess up, be nice.

2005 Ford Extinction (concept) 28.Oct.2002 09:15

SUVer

the sooner we use up the remaining oil, the sooner this is all over with. SUV's are just accelerating the inevitable...using up all the oil reserves on this planet. without an oil dependent society, we are no longer slaves to the corperations that control that form of energy. You are not going to stop the yuppies from driving their SUV's until the price at the pumps is way more than it is now. Bush is going to see to it that we have cheap gas prices so his big oil pals stay in control of us. I would suggest you do something more usefull with your time, like learn how to convert houses to solar energy, or volunteer to build more bike trails.

Similar ticket in NYC 28.Oct.2002 11:32

Lux Lucid

Great stuff!
Here's a similar effort in New York. They've also taken to constructing "No SUV Parking" signs.

Beautiful ploy... here's another 28.Oct.2002 11:54

The VERY Reverend Bishop K. kanzeon@hotmail.com

I have been involved in an outreach ministry to the religious right, to try to convert them away from their demonic, false religion. I have been preaching - it must be for 2 years now- the TRUE Jesus- GAY Jesus I've gotten hate maile from Don Wildmon's American Family Association, and from numerous other fundamentalist groups (including the infamous Robert Turkel). Gay Jesus is the Jesus with panache and fashion sense. He's the perfect Jesus for these "end" times- AND- he's no demon-on-a-stick.

Beautiful ploy... here's another 28.Oct.2002 11:57

The VERY Reverend Bishop K. kanzeon@hotmail.com

VW Buses may seem eco-friendly 28.Oct.2002 12:34

Herb

I think the ticketting of SUVs is a great guerilla theatre tactic. Just remember, though, that we all
need to do our part to conserve resources that we use, in many different ways. VW buses are less
fuel efficient than a lot of the (smaller) newer SUVs. So try to keep these things in perspective...

Fuel cells, bio-diesel, bicycling, walking, public transpo, sharing rides, etc. are all ways we can
make the world a better place.

~Herb

Get Your SUV Tickets! 30.Oct.2002 21:35

Bicyclists United for Rights to the Road

Someone asked where to get these tickets and I don't think anyone responded. They can be downloaded at Earth on Empty:

Other resources can be found at:

Hello? 19.Mar.2004 05:27

Kate

What are you thinking, not eating meat? What does that have to do with fuel oil? Do you have nothing else better to do than to bother people with what they eat. Like the other guy said, don't generalize. What does the religion have to do with anything. I think the tickets are a great idea.