newswire article

imperialism & war

White House Attacks Senator Byrd

White House Attacks Senator Byrd, Calls Hispanic Legislators Against
Iraqi W-ar Resolution 'Ninnies'
Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV), the courageous statesman who led the
opposition to Congress' abrogation of the Constitution by its vote
supporting Bush's "aggressive war policy" against Iraq, was attacked
stealthily by the White House. "A White House intern 'mistakenly'
forwarded to dozens of Hispanic leaders an e-mail that described the
Senate's senior Democrat as 'doddering old Bob Byrd, the senile senator
from West Virginia'... The e-mail, which was also highly critical of the
Hispanic members of Congress who voted against the Iraq war resolution,
was written by 'an activist.' The message... also took to task
Democratic Hispanic members of the House who voted against the
resolution... 'If they have a defense for their actions, they should
deliver it to the kids in uniform that could one day have their --- shot
off to protect these ninnies!' the e-mail said." Call White House
(202-456-1414 ) to express your opposition to Bush's W-ar and demand an
apology to Senator Byrd!

homepage: homepage: http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E6439%257E920973,00.html

How do you know it was sent by the WH? 15.Oct.2002 13:08

This sounds like a classic put-up job -- someone pretending to be from the White House and sending an inflamatory email to exactly the people who would be most upset by it.

Everyone knows how easy it is to forge the "from" address, and everyone knows how clueless journalists are when it comes to simple tech issues such as reading email headers.

Senator Byrd, so hard to attack 15.Oct.2002 13:10

Malcolm X

How dare someone attack Robert Byrd! He is beyond reproach, and all those who attack him are evil capitalists. You would think he was a former KKK member or something

"The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia"
-Senator and former KKK member Robert Byrd (D-WV) 1946

"[I will never fight] with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds."
-Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV)1948

-Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV)

Thanks For the Quotes 15.Oct.2002 13:23

Turning Tide

To How do you know 15.Oct.2002 13:27

anon

if you had clicked on the link and read the Denver Post you would have read that the white House spokesman admitted sending the email.

Robert Byrd, reformed man 15.Oct.2002 13:46

Cesar Chavez

Yes, Robert Byrd has learned from his past mistakes, as Turning Tide believes. That is why he dropped a couple n-bombs on national tv last year. Hey Turning Tide, why dont you look up where he has condemned his racist viewpoints? Oh, I forgot he never has "mustered the bravery" of doing that. But as long as he waxes eloquently against the war against Iraq, it is ok to ignore his KKK membership, his filibuster against the 1964 Civil Rights Act, etc. He truly is affecting positive change

"PAST" MISTAKES? 15.Oct.2002 13:58

Malcolm Z

>>>I have heard rumors of Byrd's past support of the klan. Your quotes give me hope that even hard-line hate salesmen and women, can learn from their past mistakes, and can muster the bravery to admit their mistakes and move on to affect positve change.
---------------

The use of the words "White N*****" on Fox News was neither "past" nor was it a "mistake". He did it in March 2001 and not only did he refuse to retract it when the interviewer gave him a chance, he REPEATED it.

If What You Say Is Correct.... 15.Oct.2002 14:41

Turning Tide

...then I stand corrected. I'm not interested enough in this issue to verify your claims. However, if Adolf Hitler attempted to deffend the U.S. constitution as passionately as Byrd did last week, I would support him in that effort. If I had to agree with every opinion of an ally in my struggle, before I could stand behind him/her on a single issue, I suspect that I would stand alone.

If Byrd is fighting to uphold the U.S. constitution, then he is fighting for everyone, in my humble opinion, reguardless of his prejudices. And yes, I know that the constitution was written to protect the rights of WHITE MEN, but the enduring effect of its language has been to protect the rights of all.

Robert Byrd, Next Green Party Nominee? 15.Oct.2002 15:12

Malcolm Q

Turning Tide said
"However, if Adolf Hitler attempted to deffend the U.S. constitution as passionately as Byrd did last week, I would support him in that effort. If I had to agree with every opinion of an ally in my struggle, before I could stand behind him/her on a single issue, I suspect that I would stand alone."

I think your quote speaks for itself. You dont care if the person you were praising is a racist? Too busy to verify the facts? Gee, it is so hard to find out whether Byrd was a KKK member or spoke about "white niggers" on national tv last year. And this Robert Byrd who you say is eloquently and passionately fighting for the Constitution is also a prominent Democratic leader in the movement to amend the Constitution to allow for good old school prayer. Yes, I will blindly trust Robert Byrd to defend the Constitution

To the Malcolms... 15.Oct.2002 15:24

I'm shocked

do you have any references for the quotes???

thanks

O.K. Malcolm... 15.Oct.2002 15:58

Turning Tide

You obviously feel strongly about this issue. It's an important issue and I applaud you for it. I do not think that you gave an accurate critique of my position, so I continue to stand by it. The way I see it, it's much easier to destroy than it is to build. The issues in Congress last week dwarf many others, in my opinion, including possibly racism. I challenge racism whenever I personally encounter it. I focus mostly on other things, because I think it's important to choose your battles.

If you hadn't noticed, the U.S. war machine is currently aiming folks that aint white. Unless your trip is 'black power' only, which is also racist, then I hope to see you beside me when the next action against U.S. global domination takes place. These actions are far too white, but that aint because a brotha/sista aint invited.

Piece Q

Thanx to both Malcoms and Byrds 15.Oct.2002 19:03

sirina

I was completely unaware of Senator Byrd's past. As much as I still admire his tenacious filibuster in favor of peace and the much-abused Constitution, the background provided by posters here is very informative.

The following site gives a pretty extensive but readable summary of Byrd's voting pattersn within the last ten years. Suffice it to say, he's not exactly a friend of same-sex couples and not Pro-Choice with capital P and C, but I find it somewhat intriguing that not all of his votes are as I would have thought, considering his apparent dedication to restrictive "old world values."  http://issues2002.org/Senate/Robert_Byrd.htm

The following Washington times excerpt substantiates allegations of Byrd's past racism but puts them in context ... even though the main point of the article is that Byrd should be ashamed of his heroic fight to preserve the Constitution and keep the U.S. out of an illegal, unprovoked act of aggression against a sovereign nation:

"But, well before he was first elected to Congress, Mr. Byrd had a habit of making some very bad choices in his personal life. As the New York Times noted on March 9, 2002, Mr. Byrd "joined the Ku Klux Klan in 1942, when he was 24 years old, no longer in his youth, and resigned the next year." However, the paper goes on to note that Mr. Byrd (who subsequently called his support of the Klan a mistake) "praised the Klan in a letter at age 28."
"In 1945 (one year before Barry Goldwater, the future conservative Republican senator from Arizona played an integral role in desegregating the Arizona Air National Guard, and only three years before President Truman ordered the integration of the military) Mr. Byrd sent a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo of Mississippi, a notorious segregationist, vowing that he would "never submit to fight beneath that banner (the American flag) with a Negro by my side," according to a letter discovered by author Graham Smith and published in a book, "When Jim Crow Met John Bull." Added Mr. Byrd in his letter to Bilbo: "Rather I should die a thousand times, and see old Glory in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours be degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds." Asked about this letter back in 1999, Mr. Byrd did not dispute the quote, and said he was ashamed of it."

for those to lazy to do a Google search 15.Oct.2002 20:33

March 7, 2001
The ex-Klansman showed his true colors when asked by Fox News Sunday morning talk show host Tony Snow about the state of race relations in America. Sen. Byrd warned: "There are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time. I'm going to use that word. We just need to work together to make our country a better country, and I'd just as soon quit talking about it so much."

when are ALL OF YOU going to WAKETHEFUCKUP? 15.Oct.2002 23:12

sick and tired

*who fuckin' cares* about the "politics" or what Byrd said?

(and he IS just a washed-up racist at the end of his 'political' career, BTW)

this is a MULTINATIONAL CORPORATE OILWAR.

it is to wrest control of 112 billion barrels of reserves from a nationalist dictator, into the hands of US & European corporate control.

and calls to ALL US CONGRESSIONAL REPRESENTATIVES ran 9 to 1 *against* the war--TO NO AVAIL.

the US government was bought and sold long ago.

in case you haven't figured it out, the USA is officially a PLUTOCRACY.

the US military happens to be the primary purveyor of force vs. Iraq, and decisions by Bu$h & Co. (our "leaders") will determine whether Hussein remains in power, but . . .

this war WILL be implemented, no matter how much "political" and "foreign policy" hot air is expended.

there are MILLIONAIRE Oil Barons in the White House, and THEIR FAMILIES' AGENDA *will* be carried out.

without *your* input.

I Care 15.Oct.2002 23:53

The Caring Guy

Dear Sick and Tired,

What are you gonna do about it? &/or, what do you think should be done?

Careville

here's what I've been doing 16.Oct.2002 00:18

sick and tired

I've been out on the STREETS since January 1991.

I always had far-left "leanings" but it was the original Bu$hisms of Operation Desert Storm that turned me into a full-time ACTIVIST.

not that it's done any good.

the Corporate Media Machine exerts too powerful a hold over USA Joe Sixpack, even if 1.5 million turn out against Bu$h in Italy last week.

the current Whitey House crew wasn't even ELECTED.

things are getting worse by the minute, w/Homeland Security, The End Of The "Economy", etc.

we're fucked, this is the end.

I Still Don't Hear No Fat Lady 16.Oct.2002 00:41

Caringguy

Dear Sick and Tired,

Good job for your efforts since '91. I was still mostly asleep at that time. I admit, things are bleak, and you may be right. But as far as I'm concerned, it aint over 'till every last one of us gives up. And if that happens (time providing) maybe we can all get together for one last last superfiesta on the way out.

Careville