The Divestiture Petition is Wrong, & Not Just Because it Will Hurt Palestinians
I believe the divestiture petition will poison the Palestinians fight for liberty in the long run. If Pro-Palestinian groups at the University of Michigan are against terrorism, why are they bringing supporters of terrorism to campus? On October 12-14, a pro- Palestinian group called Student Allied for Freedom an Equality (SAFE) will be "PROUDLY HOSTING the Second National Student Conference on the Palestine Solidarity Movement."What's up with that?
As a conference dealing with the Middle East conflict, one would expect at least expressed disapproval of Palestinian terrorism. However, principle #5 of the conference states, "it is not our place to dictate the strategies or tactics adopted by the Palestinian people in their struggle for liberation." (www.divestmentconference.com). Perhaps the reason the hosts are hesitant to condemn terrorism is that the conference will feature a number of speakers who openly support the murder of innocent civilians with the intent of striking terror into the hearts of those who cherish the basic freedoms innately associated with democracy. The following are documented quotations from a select few of the scheduled speakers at the conference:
· Fired from USF for running organizations used as fronts for smuggling terrorists.
· Funneled money to international terrorist organizations including PALESTINIAN ISLAMIC JIHAD.
· In a letter discovered by federal agents 10 days after Islamic Jihad suicide bombers killed 18 Israelis, sought "support to the jihad effort in Palestine so that operations such as these can continue."(2)
· Confirmed by terrorism expert Harry Kushner to be the head of a Tampa based Islamic Jihad front group known as the Islamic Committee for Palestine.(6)
· States on a 1988 Video, "Let us damn America . . . . .Let us damn [her] allies until death." Al-Arian refers to Jews as "monkeys and pigs," and screams on video "Death to Israel." The videos are available online at www.john-loftus.com/video_clips.htm
· More info on Al-Arian can be found at: http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/4/3/181819.shtml
· Shouted the following at a rally in California: "The Day of Judgment will not happen until you fight the Jews," continuing, "The Day of Judgment will not happen until the trees and stones will say, "O Muslim, there is a Jew hiding behind me, COME AND KILL HIM."(3)
Fadi Kiblawi, Co-founder and President of SAFE:
· In referring to a horrific terrorist attack on a Tel Aviv nightclub, he states, "In June, a suicide bomber blew himself up sending 19 displaced Jews most likely to a bleak life after death."
· Expresses desire to: "... want to strap a bomb to one's chest and kill those racists."
· Denies six million Jews were killed in the holocaust.(5)
The divestiture campaign is appallingly anti-Semitic. The goal of divestment is to cripple the Israeli economy, government and military, leaving worldwide Jews without a homeland or means of legitimate defense against anti-Semitism. The State of Israel serves as the single most effective mechanism against anti-Semitism- the persecution of all Jews, not just Israelis. Israel has rescued literally millions of victimized Jews from a wide array of countries including Ethiopia, Russia, and Iraq. Without Israel, an event as colossal and disturbing as the holocaust could happen again to the Jews. Divestment is inherently anti-Semitic, and as such, it is morally incumbent, upon anyone who believes, in any manner, that the State of Israel has a right to exist, to stand up against divestment.
The stated goal of the forthcoming Palestinian conference is to promote divestment. However, the announced topic serves as a cover, based on the record of the invited speakers, for the support and advancement of terrorism against Americans and others. The īdivestmentī camouflage serves as an excuse for a Jew hate-fest.
It is imperative to understand exactly what divestment is, and what it entails. Those who seek divestment are asking universities and institutions to sell large-scale blocks of shares of literally hundreds corporations who have investments in Israel, which according to the law of supply and demand will further deplete stock prices in times where people are rapidly losing their retirement savings and pension plans. Calls include divestment from 17 of the Dow Jonesī 30 blue-chip stocks that make up the composite average. ( http://www.inminds.com/boycott-us-companies.html)
Divestment will cripple the Israeli economy, and divestment will destroy the Palestinian economy that is so reliant on the Israeli financial system. The notion that divestment will cause more damage to the Palestinians than to the Israelis confirms that those who call for divestment seek to destroy Israel rather than help the Palestinians.
Divestment is political terrorism. The effects of divestment are unfounded, collective punishment for all Jews, based on a hatred that is indoctrinated into anti-Semites. Divestment necessarily will lead to the advancement of persecution of the Jewish people. Calls for divestment are veiled attacks on the Jewish people, and the Detroit community must decry the evil that is to infiltrate our prestigious public university from October 12-14.
1) New York Post, February 4, 2002
2) FOX News, Monday, August 26, 2002
3) Moment Magazine, August 2000
4) UMass Minuteman Newspaper, April 15, 2002
5) Al-Risalah, June 14, 2001
6) The Future of Terrorism: Violence in the New
Millenium By Harry Kushner, 1998
add a comment on this article
add a comment on this article