There are so many reasons to be a vegetarian but so few reasons to eat meat. The only valid reason to eat meat is if there is no other food choice available. Native peoples who ate (or still eat) meat when other food was scarce did so with complete reverence for the animal. They felt that the animal gave their lives up to them. Personally, I think that if people still feel the need to consume meat, that they should kill the animal themselves.
Meat is not a very healthy food, especially if it is hormone, steroid and antibiotic laden. But it also stays in the digestive tract way too long, creating a breeding ground for parasites and producing constipation. All diseases of the body and mind can be traced back to problems originating in the gut, which is said to be like a second brain. There is also the issue of eating a sentient being filled with fear as it was being led off to slaughter. When you eat the meat of that animal, you consume that animal's fear.
Here are a few reasons on why vegetarianism is one of the most important rebellious acts that we can engage in.
This information was lifted from the website (with spelling errors intact):
reasons for PEOPLE:
• If Americans reduced their meat consumption by 10% enough grain would be freed (12000 tons) to feed 60,000,000 people- the population of Great Britian.
• If all Americans became vegetarian enough grain would be freed to feed 600,000,000 people- the population of India.
• A child dies of starvation somewhere in the world, every 3 seconds.
reasons for LAND:
• If they continue to clear American forests to raise cattle atthe present rate, in 50 years there will be none left.
• From 1966-1983, 38% of the Amazon rain forest was destroyed for cattle grazing.
• An inch of topsoil takes 200-1000 years to develop - yet in the USA they have lost around 1/3 of their prime topsoil in 200 years (around 7 inches) due to animal farming.
reasons for the ENVIRONMENT:
• 25 gallons of water is needed to make 1lb of wheat, but it takes 2500 gallons to produce 1lb of meat.
• The water needed to make 10 lbs of steak is equal to an average household's consumption of water in an entire year.
• Enough petrol is used by a family of four eating beef for a year, to run a car for about 6 months.
• 70% of all grain is used to feed animals.
reasons for ANIMALS:
• Fishers who use drift or other modern nets, kill millions of sea animals and disrupt the sea bed. Fishermens' nets kill about 10 times as many other animals as the ones they are trying to catch.
• 15,000,000,000 land animals are slaughtered every for food, and an unknown but much larger number of sea animals (including thousands of dolphins caught accidentally) are killed.
• Several chickens are stuffed into battery cages together, unable to even spread their wings and often not able to stand up. 95% of poultry suffer from injury before being killed.
• Every year, millions of male chicks are gassed or pulped because they can not lay eggs, while their sisters go to the battery sheds.
• Chicks are debeaked without anaesthetic so they won't hurt each other in the unnaturally tight confines they're kept in. To us, this would be like having our fingernails pulled out without anaesthetic.
• Sows are kept crammed in stalls 1.3 x 1 metre on concrete or slatted floors, so small they can not even turn around.
• Cows naturally produce 5 litres of milk per day for their calves, but under the systems of modern farming are made to produce 25-40 litres a day. This results in swollen & inflamed udders, and they are soon worn out. Cows naturally live up to 20 years, but are slaughtered at 5-7 years when their milk production begins to fall.
• Cows only give milk for 10 months after they have a calf, so they are routinely artificially inseminated (or mechanically raped) to keep them pregnant and milking. Their calves are taken away,usually at 12 hours old, for meat or export to veal crates.
reasons for your HEALTH:
• Vegetarians have a 20% lower rate of mortality from all causes (meaning they live longer & don't get sick as often).
• Vegetarians are 40% less likey to get of cancer than meat-eaters. This is thought to be because they have a higher intake of vitamins A,C & E.
• Osteoporosis (due to calcium loss from bones) is mainly due to the sulphur content in meat & casein protein in milk that cause calcium to be lost in the urine. The countries with the highest meat & dairy consumption are those with the highest levels of brittle bones.
• Of 2,100,000 deaths in the USA in 1987, 1,500,000 were related to diet (meaning meat and/or dairy).