portland independent media center  
images audio video
newswire article

media criticism

Support The Baltimore Anti-Racist 28!

On the morning of August 24, 2002, twenty-seven anti-racist activists went to the Baltimore Travel Plaza to protest the neo-nazi organization "The National Alliance." Some two hundred racists were gathering there to meet before driving to their fascist march and rally in Washington, D.C. later that day. As the activists entered the parking lot of the Travel Plaza, heavy rain began to fall, and the group was confronted by several police cars. The twenty-eight attempted to return to their cars when suddenly they were surrounded by dozens of police cars and wagons.
check this out! we must do something now!

Please Distribute Widely

Support The Baltimore Anti-Racist 28!

Held in the pouring rain for nearly an hour, they were eventually cuffed and brought to the Southeast District police station. The lawyer
who arrived to represent themwas also placed under arrest. After hours of shivering on the floor of a conference room without being charged, they were transferred to Central Booking and held for almost twenty-four hours before receiving their papers. When they finally were allowed to see commissioners, some of the twenty-eight were released on their own recognizance while others received bail amounts upwards of $10,000. None of these twenty-eight activists had committed any crime, nor were they told what they were being charged with until after they had been interviewed. Bail was raised and all activists are now out of jail, but the legal battle is just beginning.

Later that night...

Baltimore police carried out a raid on a community center, the activists were using to coordinate jail solidarity, without a warrant. They confiscated pamphlets, magazines and other literature. Immediately
afterward, police surrounded a progressive activist center and they attempted another warrant-less search. The activists inside refused to
talk to police and instead called the media. The police left the scene
when the media showed up. Police then followed and pulled over cars
traveling to and from these locations without providing reasons for the
stops. Several people were pulled over at gunpoint for trying to reach these safe spaces.

The Baltimore Police Department is going forward with their trumped up
charges. Once again the police are protecting violent racists over the
interests of our communities.

In addition to funds, the Baltimore Anti-Racist 28 are also in need of
legal support. Any legal resources you can provide will be greatly
appreciated and are desperately needed.

It is clear that the charges against the Baltimore Anti-Racist 28 and the harassment of the Baltimore Anti-Racist community are part of a larger attempt to silence the voices of committed activists. Due to the scale of media coverage and the various regions represented by the defendants, this case is important to everyone continent-wide who is opposed to racial and other nazi prejudices.

Accurate information on the charges and the police tactics and response to anti-racism must be disseminated. Corporate media accounts are based on the statements by the police and the National Alliance. Please spread the true message as far and wide as you can. Flyers, benefits, teach-ins, demonstrations, etc. are needed to assist the Anti-Racist 28 through their court cases.

The Results:

Twenty-six activists have each been charged with:

One count of rioting (unlimited penalty)

Three counts of second degree aggravated assault (punishable by up to 10 years in prison and/or a $2,500 fine)

One count of possession of a deadly weapon with intent to injure
(punishable by up to 3 years in prison and/or a $1,000 fine)

One count of malicious destruction of property valued over $500
(punishable by up to 3 years in prison and/or a $2,500 fine)

One count of disorderly conduct (punishable by up to 60 days in
prison and/or a $500 fine)

The twenty-seventh activist, a minor, received the same charges plus an
additional 20 counts of Second Degree Aggravated Assault. The twenty-eighth activist, a representative of the National Lawyers Guild, was also arrested while he attempted to protect the rights of the activists. He was charged with one count of failing to obey an officer
(punishable by up to 60 Days in prison and/or a $500 fine).

The National Alliance claimed to police that they were confronted by
anti-fascists in the morning. If so, they had been there and left well
before the twenty-eight arrestees arrived. The police decided to round up anyone in the parking lot and are attempting to pin any real or imagined crimes the National Alliance racists complained of on
these innocent activists. These anti-racist activists need your assistance as they are facing a combined total of about 1,177 years of jail time.

Please donate to the Baltimore Anti-Racist 28 Legal Defense Fund. Many
thousands of dollars will be needed by these brave and dedicated activists to fight these bogus charges. Much thanks to all of the great people who sent money for bail, but the serious costs will begin now. Every little bit counts.

Please send legal support donations to:

Black Planet Books
1621 Fleet Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21231-2931 USA

Phone: 410.537.5005 E-Mail:  antifalegal@hotmail.com.
Personal checks or money orders should be made out to Black Planet Books with a memo that it is for the Anti-Racist 28 legal defense efforts.

If sending cash, please conceal it well. Please note in the envelope that your donation is for the Baltimore Anti-Racist 28 Legal Defense Fund.

In solidarity,

The Baltimore Anti-Racist 28 Defense Committee

Silence Is Approval!
Demand Justice Now!

Please Distribute Widely
come to the benefit tuesday -18th & Burnside 30.Aug.2002 17:27


There is going to be a benefit for the Baltimore antifas this coming tuesday at 18th and Burnside.

There will be vegan food and coffee and tea and snacks and sandwhichs, and Witchhunt from NJ and Midnight from PDX will be

(All are out of jail now, according to Baltimore IMC, but face many differing charges & need & deserve monetary support)

Aftermath in Baltimore 31.Aug.2002 06:12


August 24: What Did Happen At The Progressive Action Center?
by Chuck D'Adamo

28 Aug 2002
August 24 there were reports that the Progressive Action Center in Baltimore was raided by the police. These reports turned out to be inaccurate. But what did happen at the PAC, the home of Baltimore Indymedia, several activist groups, and Red Wagon Child Care Center? This report is based on interviews with anti-racist activists all of whom requested anonymity. [Earlier that day 28 anti-racist activists were arrested at the Baltimore Travel Plaza. Indymedia is investigating this story.]

After the counter-protests against the neo-nazi National Alliance rally in Washington DC, anti-racist affinity groups met at the Bloodshed, a warehouse space in east Baltimore rented for music shows. According to an anti-racist activist, people decided to continue counter-protesting neo-nazis by publicizing that the neo-nazis were to attend a concert somewhere in the White Marsh area with a meeting point at the National Guard Armory in Putty Hill.

At about 5:30pm, police officers began to gather outside the Bloodshed. The activists inside, concerned that a raid was being organized, decided to vacate the space. Arrangements were made to move their media work to the Progressive Action Center in east Waverly. After they left the Bloodshed, Baltimore City Police broke into the building and searched without presenting a warrant. Flyers and other literature were confiscated.

However, the police were not done. It appears that the police followed the anti-racist activists on their way to the Progressive Action Center. One car with four activists as passengers was pulled over by police officers as the driver turned from Loch Raven Boulevard onto Gorsuch Avenue. The activist who was driving was greeted by an officer who held a gun to her/his face. The driver asked "Why did you pull us over?" The police officers gave no reason. Rather, they responded by yelling at the occupants, "Shut-up! We don't have to tell you!" But then asked "Are you with the National Alliance? Or the anarchists?" The occupants responded "No. We are anti-racists!"

According to an anti-racist activist, as he/she approached on foot to the PAC he/she observed numerous police vehicles converging at the building, a squad car, two unmarked cars, and a van for transporting arrestees. When all the anti-racist activists got into the building the door was locked. Some began media work, while others dealt with the police.

According to an anti-racist activist, a police officer came to the door with a batch of arresting cuffs attached to his belt. The officer told the activists to open the main door to the building. Activists responded "Show us a warrant." A stand-off ensued for about fifteen minutes. Eventually, activists agreed to send a delegation to the base of the steps at the main door to talk to the police. According to an activist, the police claimed that they were there to protect the anti-racist activists against neo-nazi "retaliation," that they were concerned about a potential "fire-bombing."

As this exchange was going on, staff and volunteers of the Red Wagon Child Care Center were preparing for a social event at the lower level of the building. Some activists suggest that the presence of this predominantly African-American event was a deterrent to a raid and search of the Progressive Action Center, since anti-racist activists were the immediate targets. Additionally, the media work of the anti-racist activists paid off as Channel 2 News appeared at the scene and interviewed activists. With the appearance of the television media, the police left. The anti-racist activists continued with their work to publicize the neo-nazi concert. According to an anti-racist activist, the affinity groups later decided to find yet another location to discuss legal issues around the arrests of 28 anti-racist activists at the Baltimore Travel Plaza in the early morning. The television media had broadcast their location. The neo-nazis now knew where they were.

For a while on top of the Progressive Action Center in east Waverly, a banner hung "Anti-Racists Under Seige!" Readers may wonder why anti-racist activists appear to have been targeted by the Baltimore City Police?
See also:

Hey, quit lying 31.Aug.2002 08:53


Uh, excuse me. I think you forgot to mention the bomb making factory the police found in the home of one of your punk buddies. I think you forgot how they attacked a bus with baseball bats. Quit lying to people to milk donations. The were conspiring to violate civil rights, to commit a terrorist bomb attack on White activists, and assaulted a bus with weapons. Now is the type of behavior "peace activsts" support? I'd say this constitutes as terrorist fund-raising. Yer in big trouble now. Haha. I think yer little terrorist wannabe buddies will get a great reception in federal prison from the White prison gangs. You've been very very bad little commies and now it's time to pay.

Volksfront lies 31.Aug.2002 23:14

volksfront is a portland whitesupremist group

we know who you are volksfront and no one is buying it here!We hope you seek serious mental health assistance and get some anger management skills.