newswire article portland metro

actions & protests a22: bush protest

A slightly altered protest pic

This picture was altered to show the true nature of the handling of the Portland A22 protest.
A slightly altered protest pic
A slightly altered protest pic
For your entertainment...

homepage: homepage: http://www.snabulus.com

You've gotta be kidding me 29.Aug.2002 10:16

Pussy Defender

So now you're comparing riot police with pussies are you? There's some serious sexual disfunction/patriarchy in your life view....

oh my 29.Aug.2002 10:58

dizazt0r::blank1t

so a "pussy" means 'a bully who has only the courage to beat on other creatures/people perceived as having less power than them' in this case, right?

true story--i called a friend a "hillbilly" the other day thinking that this was an innocuous term and cuz he was from a place where people live in "the hills"; he got pissed and i was embarrassed by my ignorance. i didn't mean to offend him, but i did.

anyway, we shouldn't be too hard on each other. lessons can be learned without people having to feel bad afterwards. we learn, grow and eventually we can all feel good.

Hmmm, yes 29.Aug.2002 13:53

Snabby

Yes, but we all come from the pussy (better known as the vagina), so everyone should be offended. Ouch, I've taken the analogy too far!

Mainly, it was the police who were offensive on A22 though. While the word shown may be offensive to some, the perjorative as shown is accurate. How much guts does it take to rattle the cages of regular people? I can scare people pretty easily myself (being a big guy over 6 feet), but I choose not to.

Besides, no apologies have come to light so far by the perpetrators of the chaos (police/feds). They have a hard job to do, but there were signs that sadism won out over duty (in fact, this picture is one) on August 22.

I will soften my rhetoric when it is once again safe to do so. I apologize for any offense, but defend the context and accuracy.

Snabby

Don't Insult the Cats.. 29.Aug.2002 15:39

Varro

By comparing abusive police officers to them.

offensive anyway you look at it 29.Aug.2002 16:31

offended

i have always been offended by such words as the one you've used to refer to the "police", and find no inherent value in them.

the word that you've chosen to use is used by people to say that men are like women; weak because they are sensitive. so, this is not even an accurate term.

i have heard the term that you've used applied to men who will not fight or stand up to a bully. certainly, this makes no sense either.

If you really must use a word, how about "bully", because that is what people who push other people around are.

arghh 29.Aug.2002 16:50

Marv Ellis

argghh .. ... people so easily offended offend my sensibilities

Who's the pussy here? 29.Aug.2002 17:00

Just me

I think the girl looks like the pussy in this photo. She looks like a wuss that got in over her head.

Respect 30.Aug.2002 07:20

grrrrl

O.k., look.

Snabby, you're obviously a man. I think you need to LISTEN to your comrades in struggle and hear that WOMEN are offended by using a female-body-part word to mean weak, wimpy, etc. (Women are 1/2 of humanity, i.e., worth considering.)

Would you be so flippant if race were the subject at hand?
Would you actually dare to write on here that a cop is a "n*****" and then hold tight to your position when black people (and others, I hope) wrote that the term was offensive to them?

Enlightened guys : can you stand with the sisters on this one and help your brothers to understand this stuff?

Thanks.
Grrrrl

Also 30.Aug.2002 09:45

Grrrl

Hi, again. Sorry, I left out something key. It's not just about "feeling offended," it's about if you're upholding oppression or not. If you call someone a "n****," you're not just being "rude," you're putting down an entire group of people who have struggled against oppression for hundreds of years.

It's not just that your photo is "annoying," it's that it is putting your stamp of approval on the oppression and belittling of women.

After reflecting on it 30.Aug.2002 15:58

Snabby

I can see Grrrl's point. However, a person must choose one's battles. I chose to battle police oppression of first amendment rights of people who aren't heard. Someone else chooses to interpret me as one who oppresses women's rights.

In reality then, the question is a) Do I rail against an event where babies were sprayed w/ chemical weapons? or b) Do I complain about imperfections of a person complaining (likely on an agreeable issue; unless the cops were right to disperse a peaceful crowd?!?)?

I choose A. Maybe a better word could have been used than pussy. Maybe Wimp or Coward for the cop (although the alliteration with the word Police would have been lost). However, I think the kind of nitpicking found here is the reason why people like David Horowitz shift to the right. When even 95% of the way there is no different than 0% to some, why bother?

Noone is perfect. I chose to speak out in a particular way. Believe it or not, I don't regret it.

I've relented some in my view. Your turn.

PS - The cat comment was the best of the lot. What if I had intended that pussy meant cats all along? Maybe an assumption of guilt is as bad as an assumption of oppression (or in this case, a cultural aphorism). Would that make me as an A22 protestor a mouse? Lighten Up!

Context, people, context 30.Aug.2002 17:37

No Excuses

Pointing out the ill-advised term 'pussy' in a picture showing riot police assaulting an unarmed woman from behind is kind of surreal!
You have to remember kids, colloquial language is acceptable in forums. Try not to snip to quickly, or point out spelling errors. Instead, understand the underlying message of the photo. Not all of us have access to Politically-Correct dictionaries. Wait, dic-tionary. That's a slam against my sensitive male-nature! Just kidding!

Feedback to Snabby 31.Aug.2002 02:52

Nova katastrof@suomi24.fi

"...a person must choose one's battles. I chose to battle police oppression of first amendment rights of people who aren't heard. Someone else chooses to interpret me as one who oppresses women's rights."

I chose both, and many more. So does a lot of people. Not that difficult.

"...the question is a) Do I rail against an event where babies were sprayed w/ chemical weapons? or b) Do I complain about imperfections of a person complaining?"

Again, both. If one's going to do sloppy work, why bother at all?

"Maybe a better word could have been used than p****."

How about just erasing the two first letters from the "police"?

"No one is perfect."

An excuse to not change, improve or educate yourself? Portland PD ain't perfect either, nor is Bush. Or Pol Pot, Galigula or Borgia.

"I chose to speak out in a particular way. Believe it or not, I don't regret it."

Regret or not, but choose otherwise next time. I'd advice above picture removed, and replaced with version 2.0, where the policemen are not labeled with racial, sexual, gender or religious words. I think you know what I mean. You're not stupid, but stubborn.

"We are sliding quickly toward a situation in this country where this page won't even be allowed to exist. Maybe we should defeat THAT tyranny before worrying about whether a word is offensive."

This could be translated as 'fuck the women's rights; we'll think about them when we are free men, maybe'. If our "liberators" are like this (self-centered & ignorant sexists), why should we bother? If you want to bring people together (to resist tyranny), think what you say to them. And women especially should be treated nice; we add up half of the population everywhere. If you offend us, your side will be out- and overnumbered. This is not a small issue. 3000 000 000 females are NOT a small issue. And using our genitals (or whatever) as a brand of weakness, cowardicy, unintelligence and other "no-good", isn't small either. And do not compare to men here; women are different you know?

Europe

whatever 31.Aug.2002 22:37

Snabby

Whatever.

How about... 01.Sep.2002 11:03

mike

PUNK!

(Maintains the alliteration, and the craven-ness that you're seeking to convey.)

Catching flies with honey... 03.Sep.2002 14:20

Snabby

...than with vinegar
Catching flies with honey...
Catching flies with honey...

N****? 06.Sep.2002 04:48

nigger

nigger nigger nigger.

nigger.

White ?

nigger.

nigger nigger nigger.

nigger.

Nigger ?

Nigger, most definitely.

And that goes for those who say

"Nigger"

too.

Nigger.

Gawd, I just can't stop repeating this dirty word which everyone says is the worst word there is.

Nigger. Gawd, that felt bad. Nigger. Ooh it feels REALLY BAD. Nigger. I'm about to come.

Nigger.