newswire article

forest defense

Trees Spiked in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest

August 15, 2002

The following message was received by the Earth Liberation Front Press Office - it should be noted that this action was not claimed by any group - but the message stands for itself:
<begin>
Hundreds of metallic and non-metallic spikes have been placed in units 28 and 29 of the Kirk Timber Sale in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. The spikes were placed at all levels of the trees. Most trees have both metallic and non-metallic spikes.

The Douglas Fir, Hemlock, Cedar, and Yew trees are an average of 300 years old. The 16 acre grove is a refuge of Cascadian native forest and is adjacent to the Dark Divide Roadless area. It is home to Elk, Owl, and Bear among other wild beings. Logging this grove would require rebuilding a road and replacing a bridge over a major creek.

The Kirk Timber Sale is one of many sales currently proposed in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Industrial logging of public lands is primarily a public subsidy for timber companies. The US Forest Service timber sale program has never been economically viable and loses money yearly at the people's expense. The main benificiaries are the owners and managers of a handful of timber companies. This system does provide jobs for a few local residents, but fewer all the time because of unsustainable logging practices. That short term benefit is outweighed by the long term losses of topsoil, clean water, fisheries, and biodiversity which greatly reduce the chances that local people can make a sustainable living on the land. The timber sale program is the same as industrial resource extraction around the world in that its short term profits are enjoyed by only a few while the costs are felt by all. Acts of resistance like this spiking are part of a larger worldwide struggle to defend land and communities against clearcuts, war, and other acts of greed.

This action seeks to keep these old growth trees from ever being cut. It
is not intended to put any timberworkers at risk. This message is being sent
out before any trees are felled.
<end>

thanks! 16.Aug.2002 07:53

jj

thank you people for doing that. it takes a lot of courage to take a risk like that.
the more spikes the better

timberworkers at risk 16.Aug.2002 18:14

Tim Bobosky mangx@yahoo.com

"This action seeks to keep these old growth trees from ever being cut. It is not intended to put any timberworkers at risk."

Have you ever seen what one of those spikes does to a chain saw and then the human being that is using it? For someone that is against war and other acts of greed, they should consider the land-mined effect of these spikes, and their own greed to violently impose their values on others. I believe who ever wrote this note and placed these spikes in trees is a hypocrite. To place their belief system over basic human rights is appalling, and then they don't even sign it.

This person is so weak in conviction they don't stand behind the consequences of his or her own actions.

Tim Bobosky

Writings by Judi Bari 16.Aug.2002 21:50

EF!er

The Secret History of Tree Spiking - Part 1
Judi Bari
Anderson Valley Advertiser, February 17, 1993
Earth First! Journal, December 21, 1994[1]

In May, 1987, sawmill worker George Alexander was nearly decapitated when a tree-spike shattered his sawblade at the Cloverdale Louisiana-Pacific mill in northern California.[2] This grisly accident sent shock waves through our community, and eventually led Northern California Earth First! to renounce tree spiking. Southern Oregon and Southern Willamette Earth First! joined us, as well as a few Earth First!ers from Stumptown, but that's all.[3] The rest of Earth First! still endorses spiking, and many of them even today react to our no-spiking policy by denouncing us as traitors and dismissing us as wimps, without ever considering the reasons for our actions. Because of this, because there are so many new Earth First!ers who don't know this history, I think it is time to re-examine the issue of tree-spiking. A few years ago, George Alexander and his wife Laurie agreed to talk to me about the 1987 incident. The following account is based on my conversation with them.
"I was the perfect victim," began George Alexander, "I was nobody." George, a lifetime Mendocino County resident and son of an old-time Willits logger, was 23 years old and just married, with his wife Laurie three months pregnant at the time of the accident. George's job at the mill was called off-bearer. The off-bearer operates a huge band saw that makes the first rough cut on logs as they come into the mill, sectioning off slices of wood that will later be cut to standard lengths and planed for finished lumber.
Off-bearer is one of the most dangerous jobs in the mill. The saw that George Alexander worked on was sized for old-growth logs-52 feet around, with a ten-inch blade of high tensile steel. "That saw was so powerful that when you turned it off you could make three more cuts through a 20-foot log before it stopped," George told me. One of the dangers of working as off-bearer is that if the blade hits a hard knot or metal debris (from old fences, choker chains, nails, etc., embedded in the wood), the sawteeth can break. To protect against this, workers have to wear a heavy face mask and stay on the alert, checking each log as it goes through.
George knew the job was dangerous, but he also was confident of his skill. "I always figured that if the blade ever hit me, it would hit me on the urn." he said. He knew every sound the saw made, and could tell by listening when something was going wrong. He also knew to look for the tell-tale black stains that usually show up on the smooth surface of the de-barked logs if metal is present in the wood.
Although George Alexander was an LP employee, he was no company man. Louisiana-Pacific had earned his disrespect long ago through the callous way they treat their employees. "We're not even people to them," he said. "All they care about is production." The perfect example of this L-P management attitude was Dick Edwards, the day shift foreman. Edwards was always after everyone, but he seemed to go out of his way to harass George. In the months before the tree spiking, Edwards would often stand on the catwalk overlooking George's work station with LP Western Division head Joe Wheeler, just watching George work.
L-P has never been known to spend too much time maintaining equipment or worrying about worker safety. But in the weeks preceding the tree spiking incident, conditions had gotten worse than usual. The bandsaw blade was wobbling when it ran, and cracks had begun to appear in it. But when George and other workers complained, Edwards shined them on, saying the new blades were not in yet, and they would have to ma1ke do. "That blade was getting so bad," said George, "That I almost didn't go to work that day."
Normally when a big tree is sawed, they start from the outside and square off the edges first. But the tree that George was sawing on May 8, 1987 was a 12-inch pecker-pole, and because it was so small he took the first cut down the middle. Halfway through the 20-foot log, the saw hit a 60-penny nail. "That nail must have been recently placed and countersunk," George told me. He had checked the log when he started cutting it and had seen no sign of the metal. And because he hit the nail square-on, there was no warning sound. "Usually there's a high-pitched metal sound and you have time to get out of the way," explained George. "This time I didn't hear nothing but 'BOOM!'"
The next thing he knew, George was lying on the floor covered with his own blood. "I knew I was dying. And all I could think about was Dick Edwards, and all the shit he gave me when I complained about the saw. I tried to get up, but they pushed me back down. I tried to beckon to Edwards so he would come close enough for me to get my hands around his throat in a death grip. If I had to die, I wanted to take that bastard with me."
A 12-foot section of the huge sawblade had broken off and hit George in the throat and face, ripping through his face mask and cutting into his jugular vein. His jaw was broken in five places and a dozen teeth were knocked out. The blade was wrapped around him, and his co-workers had to blowtorch it off while they tried to keep him from bleeding to death. "The saw hit me flat," said George. "If it had hit me with the teeth I'd be dead. I'm only here because my friend Rich Phillips held my veins together in the hour before the ambulance came."
LP didn't call the press right away, but when they did they had a field day. "Tree Spiking Terrorism," screamed the headline in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat. And even though there was no evidence that Earth First! was involved, the Eureka Times-Standard proclaimed, Earth First! Blamed for Worker's Injuries." Mendocino County Sheriff Shea put out a widely quoted press release that was almost gleeful in its condemnation. "This heinous and vicious criminal act is a felony offense, punishable by imprisonment in State Prison for up to three years," he wrote, "Still undetermined in the investigation is the motive of the suspect or suspects, to deter logging operations or inflict great bodily injury and death upon lumber processing personnel," Even Louisiana-Pacific President Harry Merlo got into the fray, blaming "terrorism in the name of environmental goals" for George's injury.
Meanwhile, George and Laurie Alexander had a different take on the incident. "I'm against tree spiking," George told the press from his hospital bed. "But I don't like clearcutting either." Laurie also tried to include L-P in the list of culprits. "I hate L-P," she told me. "I like trees." But the press wouldn't print a word Laurie said, and George's comments about mill safety and clearcutting were mentioned in only one news article, by Eric Brazil of the San Francisco Examiner.
Earth First!, on the other hand, was much less generous in their reaction, displaying practically no sympathy for this innocent man who had just been through such a terrifying ordeal caused by a spiked tree. And after advocating the tactic for years even putting out a manual on how to do it and teaching tree spiking workshops at Earth First! Rendezvous, when the shit came down they tried to disassociate themselves from it. "This is probably the first time we've made international news, and we weren't even involved in it," was one comment attributed to Earth First! in the San Francisco newspapers. Dave Foreman came off sounding even more flippant, as he was quoted as saying, "I think it's unfortunate that somebody got hurt, but you know I quite honestly am more concerned about old growth forests, spotted owls, wolverines, and salmon - and nobody is forcing people to cut those trees," This moral arrogance didn't win Earth First! many supporters in our area. In fact it discredited Earth First!'s claim of non-involvement, and made it even easier to tar us with the incident and portray us as unfeeling "terrorists."
But did Earth First! spike that tree? The answer is almost definitely no. Back in 1987, Earth First! was just getting started in Mendocino County, and the only issue at the time was old growth. There was no consciousness yet about baby tree logging, and the spiked tree was only 12 inches in diameter, There were signs that this may have been the work of a disturbed individual. LP traced the tree to a cut on Cameron Ridge Road near the coastal town of Elk, where neighbors had been complaining about LP's liquidating the forest and threatening their water supply. One of the local residents was a strange 50-year-old man with bleached blond hair, who drifted in and out of the area and mostly kept to himself. He liked guns, and was described by neighbors as a survivalist. Before the tree spiking incident, loggers reported finding mutilated animals around the site--a beheaded deer hanging from a tree, a skinned dog draped over a bulldozer - hardly Earth First! tactics, to say the least.
The Mendocino County Sheriff was certainly aware of the survivalist tree spike suspect, but they were strangely quiet about him, and the case was eventually dropped without any charges being filed. Recently, when I got my FBI files, I found out why. The sheriff's reports on the spiking were included in my file, and I learned that the suspect's name was Bill Ervin. He lived in southern California, but he owned property in Elk and sometimes stayed there in a crude cabin. Ervin freely admitted spiking trees on his own side of the property line, and he did it because L-P is well known in this area for cutting a few feet past their property line and taking their neighbors' trees. "I may get crucified for this," Ervin said when questioned by the sheriff. "I may be in error, but I understand that one can spike trees on one's own property."
Bill Ervin made no secret of the trees he spiked. He marked them with yellow flagging and left the spikes sticking part way out of the trees. He borrowed the hammer from his neighbor and told him what he intended to use it for. He also told a truck driver at the LP logging site, and he told a California Highway Patrol cop. So it is reasonable to assume that LP may have known in advance that there were spiked trees in the area. But if this was the work of a lone crazy person, that still begs the question of where he even got the idea of spiking the tree. The answer is probably Dave Foreman's book, Eco-Defense.
There is also reason to believe that the tree that broke George Alexander's sawblade was not spiked on Bill Ervin's property, but rather was hit while lying on a log deck after it was cut. The saw hit the spike about nine feet up the tree. If you figure a foot for the stump, that means it would have to have been spiked ten feet off the ground. Bruce Anderson described the technique like this in the May 27, 1987, Anderson Valley Advertiser: "One average-sized person teams up with a midget. The midget gets up on the shoulders of his partner to hammer in the spikes. LP can nail those pesky terrorists before they nail the trees by arresting any stray midgets they spot roaming around Mendocino County."
Bill Ervin also insists that he used only 16-penny (approximately six-inch) nails on the trees he spiked. No other size nail was found when the sheriffs and LP security cops inspected the trees in the area, and there is no evidence that Ervin ever possessed either any larger nails or a hammer big enough to pound them in with. Yet the nail in the log at the Cloverdale mill was a 60-penny, 11-inch spike. The sheriffs gave Bill Ervin a lie detector test, however, and they claim he failed on the following questions: "Did you spike the logs at the log deck on Cameron Road?" and "Did you spike any trees outside your property?"
So all in all, it's still unclear who was at fault in the Cloverdale tree-spiking. We don't even know if the tree was spiked to keep it from being cut, or to create a martyr and make Earth First! look like terrorists. But it really doesn't matter whether an Earth First!er, a lone survivalist, or L-P president Harry Merlo himself spiked that tree. The point is that if you advocate a tactic, you had better be prepared to take responsibility for its results. And I don't want anything to do with causing the kind of injuries suffered by George Alexander.
While George was convalescing from those injuries, he was contacted by someone from the yellow ribbon gang of pro-timber stooges. George doesn't remember her name, just that it was "some woman from Humboldt County." She asked him to go on tour with her denouncing Earth First! for tree spiking. And George refused.
No matter what you think of LP's forest practices, this much should be clear: George Alexander is not the enemy. He has no say over his bosses' policies, either in or out of the mill. I have heard Earth First!ers say that doesn't matter, he shouldn't be working at an LP mill. Well, I shouldn't be driving a car either, but that doesn't make it okay to put a bomb in it.
After George refused to go on tour denouncing us, he was forced to return to work at L-P before his injuries even healed. His and Laurie's baby was about to be born, he needed money, and there were not many jobs where he and his family live. George got worker's compensation for the time he was off work, but LP didn't offer him a cent for the trauma and hardship he suffered. They made a big public show of putting up a $20,000-dollar reward for the information leading to the conviction of the spiker, but George Alexander had to file a lawsuit against Louisiana Pacific to get anything at all. And while the company was crying crocodile tears over his injuries in public, in private they were fighting him tooth and nail over his damage claim. He ended up with just $9,000 and an involuntary transfer to night shift. "They used my name all over the country," George told me. "Then they laid me off when the mill closed down."
"LP is just sorry I didn't die," said George Alexander. "Yeah, I know," I replied. "They're sorry I didn't die, too."

Comments to &quot;Tim&quot; and &quot;EF!er&quot; 17.Aug.2002 15:28

small rodent that lives in a tree

Tim,

In repsonse to the person who cares about timberworkers, chainsaws go staright through a timber spike. Ask any logger. They are all strong enough. In fact , there are tons of metal things in trees in national forests. i.e. pieces of fence, bullets from people shooting in the forest and more. The Forest Service does not ever consider changing its logging plans to accomodate this reality. Spiking is not intended to entice the workers into an unsafe siuation and have them buck their saws, or in realit, dull their blades. It is done as a detrrent action so that the company or the FS decides not to go in there OR decides to go in there and pull the spikes using metal detecters. This is why ceramic spikes are used. Re-read the communique. The fact that it is released publicly is a warning. No logger with a brain in their head would go near a spiked sale. So while I value your concern for workers, I think you need to reread the statement and actually speak to a logger, don't just make asusmptions about a profession you know little about. Also, are you suggesting that the people doing the spiking shoudl turn themselves in? Is that what you mean by "not having the courage of their convictions"? You may silly enought to post your real name and email address on an indymedia page that the FBI and cops read but that isnt any reason for the people who spiked the trees to admit to doing it. That wouuld be foolish.

EF!er
Instead of posting Judi Bari's arachaic article abotu spiking in the north coast of Cali, why dont you express your own opinion. Her article is not some universal truth. Its just her friggin opinion.People tend to put her on a pedestal about the spiking issue. Give me a break.

Spiking stops sales and increases the costs of logging. would you rather sit back and watch as forests go down one by one or would you rather dis people that spike, put up tree sits constantly with no analysis whetehr it is a good idea or even worse... survey sales for red tree voles?
NO more Berry patch bullshit! people will fight back as they see fit and those on the sidelines should shut up or get in the game

is there an ELP Press Office? 17.Aug.2002 17:39

confused

is there an ELF press office anymore? I thought the guy doing it resigned...

To the small minded rodent 17.Aug.2002 18:07

Tim Bobosky mangx@yahoo.com

To the Rodent

First, I worked with logger for four years in high school, so please tell my logger friend, who no longer has a leg because not all saws go straight through timber spikes, that his missing leg is just a figment of his imagination. Second, I pose the question "Why Have Laws?" if something is wrong and it is legal then work to make it illegal, and if something is not wrong but illegal then work to make it legal. But by all means do not just ignore the laws you don't like because if everyone did so there would be no point to having laws in the first place, and we would be reduced to acts of violence against one another as the only form of order. Mr. Rodent, if you think something is wrong then stand-up for what you believe and speak openly about it with your real name, exercise your right to free speech, and you should fight wrong doing legally. Rodent, don't support illegal tree spiking if you have any respect for your fellow human beings.

Tim

For small minded rodent: 17.Aug.2002 21:56

Efer

Small minded rodent:You are quite misinformed,a powersaw contacting any metal or ceramic object big or small could and very often does "kick back" and many people operating them have been cut and injured seriously,often getting hit in the face.A jumped chain can really tear you up. Your argument just does not hold water,it's like a leaky sieve. Why don't you just come out and say it-you could care less about the safety of timber workers.If you do care at all,you feel it is worth it to put them in danger to save the forests. Be honest. Belive me,I like the trees better than the loggers,but I am a blue collar worker too,and I still have a heart. I can understand the mindset of timber workers,as I have worked on reforestation contracts and I realise they are just programmed differently than you and I. Judi's ideas about communicating with the ones who would talk were starting to come to fruition before she was bombed,maybe this would have grown in time. Let's not give up hope for change,constantly think of new strategys,instead of reverting to old tired ones.

Rodent that lives in tree.......... 17.Aug.2002 22:09

Ghost of Judi

No self respecting rodent that lives in a tree would endorse tree-spiking.

Not again 19.Aug.2002 00:35

Newton

Ugh.. It bothers me that our forest brothers are willing to sacrice the lives of our fellow citizens to make their point. Lets look at the facts clearly here: the trees will regrow at some point but our fellow citizens will not. Think about it. It's fine to sit in a tree but don't put another person at risk just because you happen to believe you're right.

oh, please! 19.Aug.2002 09:38

Yew

this rhetoric is getting old, folks! Come on! Yes, spiking trees is dangerous...but only if no one knows the spikes are there! The goal of tree spiking is so that THE TREES ARE NEVER CUT!!! The spiking is announced so that no one gets hurt! The ONLY instance where a timber worker cut hurt was once in California a man operating a saw in a mill got injured. The tree was spiked by a landowner adjacent to the the logging site. The spiking was never announced to the public or the media.
I do not believe it is ever any one's intention to hurt a timber worker, ever. Spiking occurs to save trees, period.

finally, a voice of reason 19.Aug.2002 10:12

Jack

Thanks, Yew. I've grown tired of all the posts denouncing other people's tactics. We all need to work together and realize that some people are more radical than others and if we all work together and accept our differences, maybe we'll actually save some trees. Spiking is not dangerous, its just not a tactic that most people choose to do to save trees because of the personal risks involved. The people that are willing to risk arrest should be thanked for their sacrafice.

Yeah but 19.Aug.2002 20:59

Jocee

I dunno. I think we should explore ways to save the forests that would't harm trees or people. Perhaps a legal agreement can be made that if we tie a little bow around the tree, the loggers won't cut it down? Like right now, a handful of trees get spiked each year, right? What if we said to the loggers, "OK, you know that we're going to spike X amount of trees this year. From now on we'll just tie a bow around those trees and they cannot be cut down as they're psuedo-spiked." They'll sign on the dotted line because they don't want anybody to get hurt and we can all go home happy and drink lattes because the trees in question are safe!

wake up!!! 20.Aug.2002 10:28

Otis

What kind of dream world are you living in, Jocee????
Tie a ribbon around a tree and the timber beasts will leave it there? yeah, right! Big timber doesn't give a shit about us, the trees, or their employees. They are living large off of our old-growth trees. People like Allyn Ford, D.R. Johnson, Lynn Herbert, Aaron Jones, Howard Sohn, Paul Cole and all the rest are making millions of dollars each year. Our forests are being destroyed for profit. We've got to fight back against this fascism -- fight fire with fire, so to speak. We need to wake up and realize that peaceful little protests and symbolic actions (or ribbons!) don't mean anything these days.

&quot;on the justness of tree spiking&quot; article 20.Aug.2002 15:29

****

Greart article on topic here  http://www.peterherrick.com/content/treespiking.htm

Heres the intro:

On the Justness of Tree Spiking as Eco-Defense

There is just one hope of repulsing the tyrannical ambition of civilization to
conquer every niche on the whole earth. That hope is the organization of
spirited people who will fight for the freedom of the wilderness.
Robert Marshall

I say, break the law.
H.D. Thoreau

The Forest Service sells lumber companies the rights to harvest trees on
parcels of National Forest land. The lumber companies then move in and
clearcut the parcel -- they cut down all the trees irrespective of size. This
removes vital nutrients from the ecosystem, destabalizing it, and leading to
the complete failure of the land to support any life. Our National Forests are
being destroyed by that organization formed to manage and protect them.
There are many ways to block this practice, but most efforts, such as through
politics, only work temporarily, if at all. When all these methods have failed,
some organizations have turned to tree spiking.

Tree spiking is taking nails, or spikes, and driving them into trees with a
hammer. When a nail is almost flush with the tree, the spiker cuts its head
off, finishes driving it, and camouflages it. The spiker then marks the entire
area, and contacts the Forest Service with a warning. If the rights to the
parcel have already been sold, the lumbering company must also be advised
of the Spiking. These nails interfere with the chainsaw's ability to cut down the
tree in the first place, but if they do not prevent the trees from being felled,
they wreak havoc on the band saws in the mills. This causes down time of
equipment and large expenses; damage to the mill can cost up to $20,000
(Foreman, p. 153). The point of this practice is to make the lumber too
expensive to extract, with minimal to no damage to the trees.

The opposition to Tree Spiking, which are almost everyone with an interest in
the Forest Service or the lumbering industry, including those, specifically
Congress, who feel the political pressure from the latter, view Tree Spiking as
an act of Ecotage. Most of these feel that it must be punished as if it were a
terrorist act. Spiking was made illegal in the fall of 1988 (Foreman, p. 150),
and in many cases, it carries a minimum of three months in prison and a
$1000 fine. This is no longer seen as an act of petty vandalism, but with only
15 million of the Service's 80 million acres of roadless areas recommended for
protection from logging , the problem will only get worse. The logging
companies are losing a large sum of money every year and they will not give
up. One investigator for the Earth First! Journal estimated in 1990 that
"ecotage in the National Forests alone in the United States is costing industry
and government $20 - 25 million annually (EF! Journal, 3 Feb. 1990, from
Foreman, p. 134). The problem is mostly in the western states, but only
because of the large, roadless tracts of land which do not exist in the east.

The remaining pieces of roadless areas in this country are vital. Lumber
companies' removal of all the trees off of huge tracts of land, leaves the land
barren and destroyed, the animals no homes and no places to go, and the
ecosystem destroyed. The American people need to save as much of this
land as possible before it is too late and the country is uninhabitable. The
most fundamental reason for this is basic survival. Trees supply the planet's
atmosphere with oxygen, by using carbon dioxide; if humans destroy that
environment from which they came and on which they depend for so many
things, then they will die. It is very simple: survival on this planet is impossible
without the planet's natural environment.

In this country, citizens take certain rights for granted, such as the right to
live. They also, however, should have the right to a clean and unmolested
environment. Why should these rights not extend to Nature and facets of it?
Christopher Stone explains this in his "Entity Idealism," in which the act of
destroying a natural object (such as a tree), "would be condemned because
the object itself was morally considerate and its destruction wrong irrespective
of consequences for human virtue of welfare or anything else" (92). Certainly
humans need to survive, and must take some things from Nature for survival,
but they are far surpassing mere subsistence levels. It is thus not necessary
to cut down all these trees. Americans can recycle, use other materials which
recycle better, cut down on waste, and use less natural resources. In our
National Forests, the parcels of land to be cut can be drastically decreased,
and those trees can be managed properly. The practice of selective cutting
must be implemented. Selective cutting is harvesting only the trees above a
certain size, and leaving the others to replenish the forest. This is different
from the current practice of clearcutting, in which all trees are cut. With
selective cutting, most of the nutrients remain, and the forest can grow back,
but with clearcutting, all the nutrients in the removed trees are stripped from
the ecosystem and soon the land will no longer be able to support life. The
Forest Service does not think in these terms; they think in terms of the
immediate gratification of lumber sales.

Over $1.4 Billion of the Forest Service's $3.6 Billion budget in 1990 came from
lumber sales in National Forests, and because of a 1976 Congressional
change in the 1930 Knutson-Vandenberg Act, they can keep all of it for
"wildlife, recreation, watershed and other forest improvements" (Baden,
229-30). Therefore, the impetus for the Service is to cut down as many trees
as possible. Because Congress pays almost all of the costs of setting up the
timber sales in the first place and building the access roads for the timber
companies, and because the companies pay more for the rights to clearcut,
which is an easier and cheaper method for them, it is financially more
lucrative for the Service to continue clearcutting new areas even though this is
short-sighted and destructive. The point here is that the Forest Service is
being irresponsible in its management of publicly-owned National Forests,
resulting in the continued destruction of vital forests.

some examples of spikings 20.Aug.2002 15:36

small blush aboreal rodent

July 27, 2001, Randale, WA - "An anonymous group of individuals have claimed responsibility for placing spikes in
hundreds of trees in Units 5, 6, and 7 of the Upper Greenhorn Timber Sale in the Cowlitz Valley Ranger District
located in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest."

Result: Not logged

March 12, 2001, Kinsale, VA: "Saboteurs claiming to be part of a radical environmental group have driven hundreds
of steel spikes into trees at the timber tract, hoping to stop logging there. Frank Delano/AP".

Result: $40,000 to have them removed

March 3, 2001. Oakridge, OR. The Earth Liberation Front took responsibility for the placement of nails and spikes
into trees in the Hardesty Mountain roadless area. "All responsibility for worker safety now lies with the owner of the
sale, Seneca Jones Corporation and their accomplices, the Forest Service...Cancel this sale immediately. ELF."

Result:remaining units may be canceled. Sale is canceled!

July 4, 2000, Indiana. "The Earth Liberation Front would like to make public that we have placed hundreds of spikes
in trees in the timber sales that are about to be cut on Crooked Creek Road in Brown County and in Monroe
County."

Result: Unceratin. Agencies wont comment

February 16, 2000, Elaho Valley, BC. "Five and ten inch spikes were driven into trees north of Mile 63 on the Elaho
Main and Elaho Main West logging roads. An area north of Cessna Creek, and proposed roadways, were spiked,
along with the following cutblocks: 101-9, 102-52, 102-52A, 102-52B, 102-54, 102-55. Communique from the Lorax

only 5 examples? 20.Aug.2002 20:20

sugar toad

Wow 5 examples out of many,many spiking incidents.This does not prove much to some of us.How can you even prove they were not logged because of the spikings?This would'nt seem to be a great success ratio to me.Maybe it is a great tactic,but I have my doubts.