newswire article

ILWU rally/ Bike arrests

I just got back from the ILWU rally at the ILWU local 8 on front ave. Along the way, a bunch of people on bikes were pulled over by a NUMBER of police. I saw at least two people get arrested. The cops were (surprise!) remarkably rough. They were also unclear about what violations were being accounted for, but they took people in nonetheless.

Down at the rally, it seemed a couple of the ILWU organizers were reluctant to allow some of the non-union activist/supporters in. Ultimately, a number were present inside.

Ron Wyden spoke. So did Tom Daschle. They gave obligatory support against the Bush agenda..which is heartening.

Favorite flyer...a solidarity flyer from anti-capitalists. "We stand together with the ILWU when the bottom line of a nation's economy stands in opposition. Profit margins and government policies to boost the performance of economic indicators on Wall Street take precedence to the rights of the ILWU."
Question 12.Aug.2002 14:50

amigo

Anyone have any idea of who was arrested?

ILWU critical mass massacree 12.Aug.2002 15:20

coyote

Here's a story on the bike arrests.

I was a little bit excited this morning because I found out about the planned critical mass, which I'd never participated in before, and I happened to be going downtown anyway. So I thought, right on. Now's my time.

I was kind of disappointed when I got to the meeting point and found a disorganized herd of crusties waiting around for a sign from on high or something to get started. And then about five minutes after the ride was supposed to start, a dozen or so motorcycle cops show up in parade formation.

There's about 35 bikes at this point, with a few more showing up and a few comments of "when do we start" and "we gotta be there by noon". And then the motorcycle cops ride in and do a precision motorcycle psych out thing where they ride in a circle under the bridge for a moment and then line up facing us on.

So some people think we should play this game like football and start lining up opposite the police. And other people apparently feel like it's time to head on to the Union Hall and start off. We avoid the cops by cutting across the grass and head on our merry way.

Only, our mass isn't much of a mass. There are people strung out in front as the rest of the group gets too thin.

The cops start coming up behind us. One of them flanks the group on the left and asks a girl to pull over to the side walk. She refuses and goes deeper into the pack.

Riders start drifting to the right and another cop moves up on the left flank. Some riders stick to the left side and two motorcycles come up the middle. They stop in the middle of the pack and a couple bicycles crash into them.

Then everyone stops. The cops all pick someone to pull over to the sidewalk, myself included. A van stops in the street at the front of the group, ready to haul off anyone who gives them a reason to.

And some of the crusties decide to give them reasons. They struggle and resist.

I calmly give my officer my ID. I have more important things to do than spend the whole afternoon with the Portland Police Bureau. My address and vital statistics are noted, and I'm probably now on a list of known Portland radicals. So be it.

I get a $72 citation for not riding in the bike lane. I get to go to court and talk about it next month.

In the meantime the cop motorcycles and the cop van and who knows how many taxpayer dollars of cop equipment are right there on Front Ave, just before the Broadway Bridge, tying up traffic for probably five times as long as the little bike ride in solidarity with our ILWU brethern would have taken.

But the true irony of it all is that this August is BikeSummer in the City of Portland, OR.

Yo Coyote 12.Aug.2002 15:47

asdf

What could have been done better?

what we could have done better 12.Aug.2002 16:05

coyote

1. left on time

2. stayed together

3. taken roads without designated bike lanes

another thing 12.Aug.2002 16:09

coyote

4. Not let the cops psych us out with their motorcycle circus.

Just Some Questions... 12.Aug.2002 17:19

Varro

1.) Who were arrested, and who were cited, and what were the charges?

2.) Who were assaulted or battered by cops? (This includes both people who were arrested and people who were not arrested - some cops may have decided to do some street justice. Those cops should get some court justice, in the form of a process server knocking at their door with a summons.)

3.) Any ID on the cops, whether names/badge numbers/motorcycle numbers, or license plates?

officer flippo and friends 12.Aug.2002 17:51

snappy

badge numbers i wrote down: 16448, 6933, 12441, 9456. One of the citing officers was named "Hosey". This photo shows my favorite officer name for the day, though: "Flippo".
officer flippo and friends
officer flippo and friends

HA! 12.Aug.2002 19:27

B.P

Office Hosey?
Office Flippo?

Are you sure these weren't circus clowns dressed as cops!

clowns dressed as cops! 12.Aug.2002 21:39