Mark your calendar: This Friday, August 16, there will be a protest outside the Starbucks in Pioneer Courthouse Square to show solidarity with Samantha Buck of Astoria. |
Nearly two years ago, Samantha bought a small coffee shop in downtown Astoria and named it Sam Buck's -- after herself. A year later, Starbucks? opened a store inside Fred Meyers, five miles away, and served Samantha with a cease and desist order demanding that she stop using her own name on her store because they claimed it was causing confusion for Starbucks? customers. Samantha refused.
On August 9, Samantha Buck was served a summons by Starbucks?. She is required to respond within 20 days to Starbuck?'s demand that she change the name of her shop or face legal prosecution. Samantha's Portland lawyers have told her that she needs to produce $5000 to initiate the legal batttle. Sam neeeds assistance, both material and emotional.
Let's show some support for Samantha here in PDX !!
More details, and downloadable flyers will be uploaded here to indymedia soon, but in the meantime keep your calendar free for Friday, August 16. We're thinking of a 7:00 a.m. start time, bright and early for the morning coffee crowd, and going as long as there are folks to do it.
Please add your thoughts and brainstorms to this post about tactics/strategies. This event is still totally in the planning stage. Ideas so far:
- A letter to Starbucks? demanding that they leave Samantha alone. People can sign this letter and we'll send copies to Starbucks? and Samantha both.
- Slips of paper with the same message for Starbucks? customers to deliver to the store management if we can't convince them not to go in there.
- A list of other coffee shops nearby, preferably locally-owned ones obviously.
- Talking to Samantha's lawyers (who are here in Portland) and seeing if they'll come down and make a statement.
- A local office of the law firm that Starbucks? has retained is also located here in Portland. Perhaps we can go tell them what we think of this hogwash and give them a copy of the letter too. (We have a hard copy of the complaint Starbucks? has brought against Samantha, so we can actually know what we're talking about if we go in there.)
- Signs and flyers of course, to make a colorful display.
- Anybody got a bullhorn they wanna bring?
Some of us will be meeting up this week to make signs and flyers, hammer out details, etc. If you're interested in being part of that, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Take a stand for justice against the mean ugly corporate juggernaut that is Starbucks?. Come down to Pioneer Square this Friday !! Let's send a big message to Samantha that she's not alone !!
Background: [ Astoria Coffee War | Sam Buck has been served a summons by Starbucks ]