portland independent media center  
images audio video
newswire article portland metro

alternative media | media criticism

Funeral for Carlo Giuliani in Portland

Portlanders held a funeral for Carlo Guiliani today.
(Monday, 6 August 2001)--The Summer of Resistance continued to flower today as 175 Portlanders gathered for a funeral for Italian activist Carlo Giuliani, who was killed by police in Genoa, Italy, during the G8 protests on 20 July.

The crowd held a rally in Pioneer Courthouse Square with speeches and chanting. Afterward, they held a silent vigil and marched out onto the streets. At the front of the crowd was a large black coffin--for Carlo--with flowers on top.

First stop on the march was the Oregonian building, where the participants held a die-in. Everyone laid on the ground for a full five minutes. This action was taken to protest the innaccurate coverage and lack of coverage that corporate media outlets give to the message and significance of anti-corporate globalization activists. Most mass media is currently owned by the same corporations that are pushing for the so-called "free trade" policies that the G8 leaders were discussing in Genoa. It remains to be seen if the Oregonian will report this action on its doorstep or not.

From there, the marchers went to the World Trade Center--home of the Italian Consulate here in town--and left the coffin at the front door. The crowd held another five minute die-in.

The marchers then returned to Pioneer Square without incident. Police followed several activists as they left the square, and it looked like there might be trouble from them, but Indymedia activists with cameras followed along, and the officers quickly saw that it was not a moment to harrass anyone.

Photographs will be uploaded later today. Also, tune into KBOO tonight at 5:00 p.m. for an audio report.

The die-in in front of the Oregonian was a beautiful and effective statement. The silence of the prostrate bodies brought a poignancy to the moment that was quite moving. It was also an entirely unantagonizing action, and any move by police or Oregonian staff to disrupt it would have clearly been harrassment. With this die-in, the activists put the police, the media, and the state on the spot, and created a moment to reflect on the tragic deaths of Carlo Giuliani in Italy, and of other activists elsewhere around the world during the recent upsurge in anti-corporate globalization activism.

The marchers might have served their cause better by passing out more flyers along the way. Hundreds of people viewed the procession as it went by, but very few of them knew what it was about. One woman, who appeared to be an office professional, described the marchers as looking "scary". If she had received more information about it, perhaps she would have understood better. Perhaps she would not have taken information if it was offered to her, however.

This was the second G8 solidarity action in Portland in as many weeks. This Saturday, the 11th, will bring a third action, with the exact time and location yet to be announced. For more information on this action, call 503-287-7498.

who's on first? (no, who's on second...) 07.Aug.2001 08:18


not to split hairs, but this is actually the third G8 solidarity action in p-town. the first was the friday building roof-top take-over, the second was the 'monday march'. the sunday surprise will be the 4th. i love this city!

more stories on same subject 23.Oct.2002 01:46

dug through the stacks

Background: The brutal tactics of Italian police during G8 protests
In July 2001, as leaders from the major industrialized countries met for the Group of Eight ("G8") summit in Genoa, Italy, thousands of protesters took to the streets to voice their dissatisfaction with the status quo.

The G8 is made up of the United States, Britain, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, Canada, and Russia. These countries consume the majority of the world's natural resources and use their strong militaries to keep the rest of the world under their control, in what is essentially a colonial arrangement. Privately-owned orporations, in turn, control the G8 governments, and represent a tiny (less than 1%), but very wealthy segment of the world's population.

This lopsided state of affairs has awakened the anger of millions of people worldwide, and thousands descended on Genoa this week to demand justice. Italian authorities had prepared for the summit by emptying all nearby hospitals, jails and mortuaries, and ordering 300 body bags. They also closed down the airport and railway station, and suspended most civil rights, including freedom of movement.

From there, events quickly turned ugly, and it became clear that the Italian government doesn't need Mussolini at its head to be fascist. Hundreds of protesters were beaten and arrested. Tear gas was let loose on peaceful crowds. Agents of law enforcement went undercover as protesters and incited damage and violence. Police broke into the Italian Independent Media Center, beat up 20 people, and destroyed equipment, and then attacked sleeping people in the school across the street, where they assaulted and arrested even more.

On Friday, 20 July, Carlo Giuliani, 23 year old Genoan man was shot in the head with a revolver by a member of the Italian security forces and then run over twice by the police jeep. An autopsy confirmed that Guliani died of a gunshot wound. The man who shot him was 20 and had only recently been pressed into service. With this act, the Italian government created two victims and set them against each other. The photos of Giuliani's body sped around the world through the Indymedia network, and set off a firestorm of protest worldwide.

More Information: [ Story of Giuliani's death | IMC Print special edition, 20 Aug 2001 | IMC Print special edition, 22 Aug 2001 | IMC Print Genoa edition, 25 Aug 2001 ]

20 July: Banner hang
In downtown Portland, an activist locked himself onto the roof of a city building on the night of Friday, 20 July, and hung banners expressing solidarity with the masses in Genoa [ Full story with photos and a spirited debate on tactics, the G8, and global capitalism ].

23 July: Solidarity Action
On Saturday, 21 July, activists in Portland, answering a call for action from the Pacific Green Party and the Liberation Collective, made a call for action for Monday, 23 July, to "demonstrate against the killing of protesters in Genoa, Italy" [ Flyer ].

On Monday, 300 people converged in Pioneer Courthouse Square. Organizers gathered over 100 signatures on a letter to the Italian Consul in Portland, and--after marching to the World Trade Center--attempted to deliver it to the Consulate. However, security at the building would not let anyone in, even though the organizers had secured an appointment. The head of security promised to deliver it to the Consulate office.

A protester claimed to have been hit by someone from AP at the World Trade Center [ Full story | Another account ]. Individuals from AP have a different story, which can be read in the Comments added to this article: [ Self-Organizing Protest Against Slaying of Protester in Italy ].

Afterwards, a contigent of about 40 black bloc took over the street in front of the Police Station, and marched through downtown. Two males were arrested in Pioneer Square for unknown reasons, and activists held a rally outside the courthouse to demand their release.

TEXT: [ Summary of the day's events | Two street updates: 1 & 2 | More important facts, previously unreported | "Why is Carlo dead?" | | Local corporate media mistreatment ]

PHOTOS: [ First set, with personal account | Second set, with notes ]

6 August: Funeral for Carlo Giuliani
Approximately 200 people showed up in Pioneer Courthouse Square to express grief, anger, and determination in the aftermath of severe police repression against anti-G8 protestors in Italy. After several speeches the group marched silently up Broadway in downtown Portland to the slow beat of a drum. The police were going to give the protestors one lane of traffic but did not intervene as they took the whole street. The group carried a black coffin at its head, and held a die-in at the Oregonian and another at the Italian Consulate.

TEXT: [ Genoa Funeral Procession Report | Funeral for Carlo Giuliani in Portland | Eulogy for the Portland funeral march for Carlo and others | Analysis: "Genoa protesters seek an end to exploitation" ]
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 ]
[ MP3 of KBOO Evening News story ]

15 August: Local activists shut down terminal at Port of Portland
Local activists held a picket line outside of Terminal 6 of the Port of Portland today for almost 12 hours in order to prevent an Italian ship from being unloaded. They undertook this action to protest the violent and inhumane tactics employed by Italian police during the recent anti-G8 protests in Genoa, Italy. The workers at Terminal 6 are organized under the International Longshore and Warehouse Union and so would not cross the picket. This interruption in scheduling affected train and truck traffic in and out of the Port as well, causing thousands of dollars in lost profits. The picketers stood down for the second shift to respect the wishes of the ILWU workers who would not be paid if they couldn't work, and who were not as a whole prepared to take a stand against Italian fascism with the picketers that day. From here, the Italian ship went to the Port of San Francisco, where more protests awaited it.

[ Full story, with chronology of events | Photos of picket | An analysis of the action | Press release from action organizers ]
[ MP3 of KBOO Evening News story ]

UPDATE: The Italian ship was picketed at its following stop, in Oakland, early on the morning of Friday, 17 August [ Call to action | Video | Update from late Friday night ]. Further down, in Los Angeles, the ship owners changed their schedule and came into port early to avoid protesters.

[ "Italian ship picketed in three US cities", from print.indymedia: 29 October edition ]