NW RAGE is Targeting Starbucks:
• For refusing to guarantee that their products do not contain rBGH and other genetically engineered ingredients.
• For not brewing and seriously promoting Fair Trade coffee.
• For allowing low wages and unjust labor practices on the coffee plantations of their suppliers.
Where: Starbucks, Pioneer Square, Portland, OR.
When: Tuesday, June 26, 12 Noon to 1:30 PM
NW RAGE is joining the Organic Consumers Association along with other Fair Trade, environmental, and food safety activists for a worldwide campaign focused on Starbucks.
Join us next Tuesday, June 26, to protest Starbucks refusal to guarantee that their products are free of genetically engineered ingredients, and their failure to follow through with promises to improve the wages and working conditions of the growers of coffee beans.
Feel free to bring signs, banners, costumes and kids.
We are calling on Starbucks to:
• stop using genetically engineered (GE) ingredients in its products
• pledge to never use GE coffee
• start brewing and actively promoting Fair Trade coffee in its cafes
• follow through completely and transparently on a previous agreement to improve the working conditions on the coffee plantations which supply them with coffee.
This is part of a national and international campaign coordinated by the Organic Consumers Association ( http://www.purefood.org). We are already winning!
Starbucks made a halfhearted promise recently to allow customers to request rBGH (recombinant bovine growth hormone)-free milk later this year. This is obviously not enough, and Starbucks has failed to deliver on promises in the past. We will be holding protests at a different Starbucks, until all of these issues are fully addressed. From June 24 to 26 will be the international days of action against Starbucks. We will be joining different groups around the world to protest Starbucks. Join us!