PCUN National Walk for Farmworker Justice |
Farmworkers employed by growers who are members of NORPAC have been struggling for improved living and working conditions for more than ten years. NORPAC is one of the largest grower-owned processing cooperatives of frozen fruits and vegetables. Pineros y Campesinos Unidos del Noroeste (PCUN), Oregon's farmworker union, has actively supported the workers' collective efforts to negotiate with growers for fair resolutions to their issues.
Despite repeated attempts by PCUN, religious and community organization to address these issues, the NORPAC growers have steadfastly refused to participate in any dialogue. Workers who attempt to claim their basic rights are met with discrimination, firings, evictions from grower-owned housing, mechanization of harvests, anti-farmworker and immigrant law proposals, and threats of physical violence.
PCUN is inviting you to join hundreds of farm worker supporters to:
- Walk by fields where farmworkers labor to show solidarity
- Share meals and evening programs with farmworker communities
- Attend workshops with nationally renowned theologians and social justice leaders
- Participate in rallies and an interfaith service in the state capitol
- Build broad-based support for farmworkers in Oregon
Portland Indymedia will bring you regular updates on the Walk. You can also check in with
KBOO 90.7 FM news @ 7 a.m. and 5-6 p.m. and the Walk For Justice website.